Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the Wild Hunt ever Corner Lunars?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the Wild Hunt ever Corner Lunars?

Seriously how does the Wild Hunt ever Corner a Lunar they can’t Ambush? Unless the Lunar specifically wants to make a Last stand they have the option of turning into a Bird and Flying away, or turning into a fish and swimming away, or turning into a badgermole and digging deep deep down. So how do they corner Lunars the same way they Corner Solars? Will we get something like Sidereal Magic’s to explain this? Should I have just put this in the ask devs?

It is a time for great deeds!

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    Seriously how does the Wild Hunt ever Corner a Lunar they can’t Ambush? Unless the Lunar specifically wants to make a Last stand they have the option of turning into a Bird and Flying away, or turning into a fish and swimming away, or turning into a badgermole and digging deep deep down. So how do they corner Lunars the same way they Corner Solars? Will we get something like Sidereal Magic’s to explain this? Should I have just put this in the ask devs?
    I think it’s a reasonable ask deva question. Though you may be underestimating Dragon Blooded and Sidereals, especially their archers.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I think it’s a reasonable ask deva question. Though you may be underestimating Dragon Blooded and Sidereals, especially their archers.
      Well that is why I said unless it’s an ambush. But even in an ambush a murder of crows flies off and they are going to murder each crow?

But if not in an ambush all they have to do is fly away from the Wyld Hunt, like that simple.

Comment

Not every Lunar has the right Heart's Blood to escape? Capturing someone important to them or threatening something they care about so they don't want to run? Faking weakness so the Lunar decides to commit and doesn't realise they should have run until it's too late?

Lunars sure do have a lot of ways to escape Wyld Hunts, but there's a bunch of ways to force or trick a Lunar into engaging, and of course a lot of Lunars do get away, but with only 400 Lunars around tops, even a few kills is a pretty significant dent in the population.

Comment

If they're anything like my players, they don't run away when they see a fight coming, even if they're grossly outnumbered. They just start fighting, supremely confident that they can win.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
          I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

You don't attack the lunar, you attack the lunar's home. You come for their friends. You turn their family against them. You make the lunar confront you.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

Although Lunars are one of the only character types in the game who actually can become perfectly spherical, this still doesn't make them perfectly spherical frictionless rational actors.

Comment

If I may quote myself elsewhere:
                Originally posted by Isator Levie, post: 22435127, member: 55610
                Having thought more on the subject of Lunars versus Wyld Hunts, one dynamic I envisioned was the idea that one thing that experienced shahan-yas try to drill into their students is a paraphrase of Robert DeNiro's ethos in Heat: never become too attached to something you can't abandon at a moment's notice.
                Originally posted by Isator Levie, post: 22435127, member: 55610
                Appended with elaborations like not getting hung up on the idea of sunk costs, not letting things like pride or anger cloud their judgement, don't get too hung up on pursuing a weakened foe if there's too much risk of dying; better to turn into a sparrow and flee now and return to complete your operation later.
                And a persistent bane to the Silver Pact is that their members are not perfectly rational actors; even after centuries, there's always a chance that somebody might become a bit too attached to a protectorate, a bit too fixated on the idea that they've invested too much to accept things having gone south quickly, a bit too hateful of whom they're fighting. They can let the fight become a slugging match, and that can often be very dangerous for them when surrounded by hostile Exalted.
                Plus occasions where simple fallibility just results in a miscalculation; the ideal operation lasts long enough to draw a Wyld Hunt that will invest in chasing you, and cuts and runs (preferably to a trap or an ambush) before they can draw a net around you. That can be tenuous; the golden window is probably often narrow, and judging the ideal moment to try and draw them into a chase might be a bit up in the air.
                And lest this seem to weight Dragon Blooded successes on Lunar failings, all of this can go double for when the assault comes from Exalted who are especially good or canny; they mobilise more quickly than a Lunar might have expected, they're strong and smart enough to make a Lunar's ambush too dangerous for them, they deliberately engage in actions intended to draw the Lunar out or back. It's a complex interplay.
                Really, the best Wyld Hunts probably have the people and resources to attack from multiple directions; anticipate the Lunar's most likely path of retreat, put somebody there ahead of time, catch them between a hammer and anvil.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Plus, while turning into an animal can make it harder to attack, Dragon Blooded can still shoot down birds. It's conceivable, depending on how fast or wounded the Lunar is when they take that step.

turning into a badgermole and digging deep deep down.
                  I don't think the Burrower Merit is going to let them Scrooge McDuckit.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Well that is why I said unless it’s an ambush. But even in an ambush a murder of crows flies off and they are going to murder each crow?

But if not in an ambush all they have to do is fly away from the Wyld Hunt, like that simple.
                    Is this happening right in front of them? Because for the typical Lunar they need to take a miscellaneous action to become a bird then attempt to re-establish surprise next round by using the crows as cover. If that's successful, they're going to start killing the crows. It looks simple on paper, but escaping like this is going to be potentially rather harrowing if you've got multiple Dragon-Blooded shooting at you from the outset and then annihilating your cover as you try to get away.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

There's also a question of how, if it's done as a fight is ending, it might be easy to pick out the crow that is glowing.

Comment

Those do all sound like good stunts for a withdraw roll though, of which you have to complete three of.

Edit; and imagine getting shot down while trying to run. Better to die on your feet then live on your knees kinda sums up at least part of the Lunar rage spectrum.
                        Last edited by Flare; 03-06-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

I'd wager the most common way is attacking something the lunar will feel compelled to stay and defend. Especially young lunars who have yet to get a handle on the rage burning away inside them as their version of essence fever.

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

Thinking on it, possibly the best help Sidereals might be able to give is information. Information about the general area the Lunar is in. Information about where their passions lie. Information about the secrets they hold. And so on. (I’m expecting the 3e version of the Sids Google-Spider to be really, really nice.)

All of which should help a Wyld Hunt manage to force the issue instead of wandering around lost in the woods, running into shrubbery, trying to find a Lunar.

Comment

So again it sounds like they have to one Ambush a Lunar, which is so insanely easier said then done since Lunars don’t usually have an address registered at the local post office, and they are as likely to say have a home on a cliff side or an underwater Manse as they are to just live in a tree or a house. It’s much harder to sneak up a whole Wyld Hunt Team then it is to sneak a single Exalt. And considering Wyld Hunts stack in their favor by trying to get ten Exalts per Anthema and some mortal support troops, that’s mighty hard to sneak into a small space.

Or two goad a Lunar into initiating Last Stand Procedures.

So most likely Lunars will know about the Shikari before the Hunt directly senses them.

And you don’t automatically sense Lunars are Lunars in a big forest full of Animals. A Lunar might not even rest in Human form. And unless you are right on the Lunar, or the Lunar is glowing, if they are say taking cover from arrow fire behind a tree or a Bush how are they not paranoid trying kill all the Crows flying away or boats running away, meanwhile the Lunar could have turned into a tick or a vole.

And if they kill every living thing and burn down the forest they don’t really know they even killed the Lunar. Meanwhile if they spend attention sniping every bird (which honestly only The Exalts can be relied upon to do) you are also revealing your local if you are a sniper, and also distracting yourself in the middle of Battle. The Wyld Hunt doesn’t have the benefit of being players at the table, well unless they do, they don’t know what going on all the time hunting slippery Pete.

And all this is taking into account they accurately gauged the number of Anathema, if they are having tea with another Lunar, or a God Friend or Hell a Pack of Exalts the Sidereal is the one who needs to initiate escape protocols.

Wyld Hunts are expensive and Lunars are slippery. If you expecting two Anathema or more now you are bringing 20 Dragon Blooded and an Army of you want more of a sure thing, less and you are gambling.

And Lunars usually seem to be secret individuals, so at best you are targeting a whole culture or region that favors them and hoping they care enough to defend genocide. Or maybe a Sidereal sneaks info on more specific loved ones.

And genociding whole cultures is how you develop leagues forming against the Realm, it’s also expensive and doesn’t have much glory if you don’t succeed, so you better start slaving.

Comment

Working...
                              X