Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the Wild Hunt ever Corner Lunars?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

I actually really like that about the book, each individual house is more powerful than any non-Realm nation in the world. You could make House Cathak the main villain of your chronicle and still have it be epic. If they went absolutely full hog, which admittedly they never would do because it’s a tactically stupid decision, they could easily bring 50,000 soldiers and 1,000 Dragonblooded to bear in a conflict.

Which again is not something any ST should really ever do because there’s no way that would happen. But like, it theoretically could.
    Well not easily because as you said it would be tactically stupid. Your house respects you less if you drain your resources pointless at a time when debt collectors are hounding everyone.

And Lookshy, Thorns, The Skullstone Archipelago and Prasad would definitely oppose the notion that House Ledaal or dying Tepet, endangered Iselsi or even Okay Sesus could take them one one one.

Edit
    But I get your point.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

Well not easily because as you said it would be tactically stupid. Your house respects you less if you drain your resources pointless at a time when debt collectors are hounding everyone.

And Lookshy, Thorns, The Skullstone Archipelago and Prasad would definitely oppose the notion that House Ledaal or dying Tepet, endangered Iselsi or even Okay Sesus could take them one one one.

Edit
      But I get your point.
      Yeah, if they withdrew from all of their holdings they’d lose them all pretty quickly, the rest of the Realm would both lose respect for them and take advantage of the situation to take everything ELSE that they had, and in less than a year the great house would be no more. But like, almost any other nation could sacrifice literally everything, conscript every citizen into the army, drain the coffers, and still not be anywhere near powerful enough to destroy Thorns. House Cathak actually probably could.

Comment

• Originally posted by Equitable Remedy View Post
        You seem to understand an unknown number of people as at least 100 soldiers, though I'm not sure why. Further, they 5v2 (after having several DBs killed) kill one and capture the other... who later escapes (after we find the most of the five have lived fairly unfulfilling lives in the meantime).

That's the height of DB success in 3E; I'm not quite impressed by their prowess.
        The fact that someone else screwed up and let them escape after the 5 of them took on 2 celestials and won so handily they had the luxury of taking 1 alive (and successfully brought them back to Big Red) is hardly relevant to their accomplishment. And as you said, we don't know how many other people were in the Wyld Hunt (including how many dragon blooded) so its hard to say how bad of a loss it was. The story also, however, makes it clear they went in cocky instead of playing it smart and got humbled for it as part of the reason why they lost. They didn't even bother making a sworn brotherhood and they recklessly charged ahead instead of waiting for the full Hunt to be assembled (it confirmed more forces were on their way but they didn't wait for them) so that speaks pretty damn ill of the tactical skill their 'vaunted' up and comer leader was bringing to the game. So arguably the only thing the massacres an example of is what happens when you put an arrogant 'rising star' with their head up their ass in charge of a hunt instead of what a well run one looks like.

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizu View Post
          So arguably the only thing the massacres an example of is what happens when you put an arrogant 'rising star' with their head up their ass in charge of a hunt instead of what a well run one looks like.
          If I had more time on my hands I'd write a short story about a Shahan-ya and an elder of the Wyld Hunt who have been battling eachother for centuries, knowing eachothers tricks intricately, each one losing Lunar students or younger hunters in their engagements. Each time though, whoever the victor is, they both escape to fight again, coming to the point where both young Lunars and DBs question seemingly nonsensical moves "Why don't we give chase?" or "Why must we hide here? I don't sense anything." but it's just because they know eachother so well that they're deftly countering moves before they even happen.

Until eventually, when the Terrestrial is very old, they corner eachother, coming face to face for the first time in decades, and now they're totally unsure how to proceed. They're well aware of how many friends have died in the struggle, and likewise well aware of how much heartache they have inflicted on one another. The DB knows how well the Lunar liked their last student, the Lunar knows how close the DB was to their younger cousin while they were still alive. They both agree that enough blood has been spilled on their account.

Comment

Working...
          X