A Couple home-brew Terrestrial Melee Charms [peach]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Couple home-brew Terrestrial Melee Charms [peach]

Below are a few terrestrial charms I home-brewed up to flesh out the elemental representation in Melee and provide some more low-essence effects.

Blistering Hurricane Offense

Cost: 3m, 1i; Mins: Melee 4, Essence 1; Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Withering-Only, Air/Fire, Perilous
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisite Charms: Burning Fury Wreath
    The Exalts strikes are wreathed in burning, grinding winds that scorch and buffet her foes, grinding them down. For every consecutive round prior to the current one during which the Exalt has attacked the same character, she subtracts -1 from his mundane soak against this attack Mundane soak refers to soak from Stamina as well as mundane or artifact armor. Even attacks made with other abilities count towards this bonus so long as they were made within short range of the target. This charm may negate a maximum of (Melee+applicable specialty/2, round up) dice.

At Essence 2+, a character in Air or Fire Aura, may re-roll one non-1 failed dice of damage, beginning with 6s and moving down, to a maximum of the lower of the dice added or (Essence) for each 10 on her attack roll.

At Melee 5+, Essence 3+ this charm may be repurchased by a character who knows Steel Tempest Strike. The repurchase allows the character to treat 9s as 10s for the purposes of re-rolling dice of damage, up to the normal maximum, when the Initial damage roll does sufficient damage to either crash the target or drop his initiative from a value greater than her Initiative to a lower value (before she gains initiative from the attack roll itself). The repurchase also remove the Perilous keyword while she is in Air Aura.

Stone Steadied Blade

Cost: 3m; Mins: Melee 3, Essence 2; Type: Supplemental
    Keywords:Withering-Only, Earth, Perilous
    Duration: One Scene
    Prerequisite Charms: Blinding Spark Distraction
    This charm enhances an attack, dragging his weapon along the earth and drawing from it the steadiness of earth. The concentration of Earth Essence draws rocks, pebbles, dust and sundry stone to detritus collect upon its edge, steadying her strike. This charm adds the Balanced tag to a weapon that lacks the tag. Weapons that already have that tag convert one dice of post soak damage into an automatic success when the post soak dice-pool is reduced (by soak or other factors) to its Overwhelming Value or less. The essence of grants both stability and reliability. When the Exalt lands a withering attack that deals sufficient damage to reduce the Initiative score an enemy with a higher Initiative score to an initiative score lower than her own (before she gains initiative from the damage roll), she may spend 1m, 1i to reflexively to activate Blinding Spark Distraction as an Earth Aspect charm, sending the stones flying into her enemy’s eyes. The difficulty to resist this is (Essence+[lower of Melee or half threshold successes, round up]), if the target is Crashed by this attack he suffers a -2 penalty to his resisted roll. If the enemy attempted to defend this attack with a Clash she may use the normal equation to calculate the difficulty of the resisted roll but may still enjoy the other benefits of this charm if she wishes. To use this charm the exalt must have a readied weapon in hand and be standing upon earth, stone or even soil or within close range of at least some quantity of loose rock.

Ghost-Fire Blade

Cost:1i, 2a (+Expend Fire/Earth Aura); Mins: Melee 3, Essence 2; Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Dual, Fire or Earth, Perilous
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisite Charms: Burning Fury Wreath
    This charm may be reflexively activated when the Exalt lands a melee attack against ghost or fae while she is at Initiative 12+. In its Earth aspect this charm draws upon the stability of earth to sap the chaotic essence of the fae. As a Fire aspected effect this charm calls upon the cleansing power of flame to castigate the undead. In either case, for each 10 on the damage roll the target loses 1m to a maximum of (2+[half the lower of Occult or Melee, round up]). In the appropriate Aura, the Exalt may choose to expend it to gain the motes lost by the target but only up to half the total motes spent on Occult or Melee charms enhancing the attack.

At Melee 4+, Essence 3+ a character who knows at least 4 Occult Charms may repurchase this charm, allowing it to treat sets of two 9s as a 10 up to the same maximum when the attack targets a Crashed or Trivial target, and one of the elemental variant's listed below. The first purchase costs the normal amount of XP for a charm and grants one elemental variant; other variants can be purchased after for 3xp each.
    Air: This Charm may be used to benefit attacks made against any naturally immaterial spirit with an Essence equal to or less than the Exalt’s (Occult or Melee, whichever is lower).
    Wood: This charm may be used against natural animals and land dwelling behemoths whose Essence is equal to or less than the Exalt’s (Lower of Occult or Melee) and who have an Essence pool.
    Water: This charm may be used against ocean spirits and unexalted aquatic creatures and behemoths with mote pools and a Permanent Essence less than the Exalt’s (Lower of Occult or Melee).
    In all cases, the character can affect Elementals of the aspect matching the version of the charm used while in the appropriate aura. This applies automatically to the base Earth and Fire of the charm once the character has purchased any upgrade.
    Last edited by JiveX; 03-08-2019, 03:00 PM.

If Terrestrial Essence could directly target demons, their Occult Charms would do so. They cannot. They can go after fairies with Earth and the undead with Wood, but Fire either brings peace to the dead, praise to gods, or banishes possessing spirits. Charms to harm spirits are Air-aspected, and capable of causing them only limited harm, such that they need to use Earth Essence to imprison them in stone because they cannot permanently kill things that resurrect.

This is why they needed Golden Janissary Style to go after demons specifically, as well as needing the Immaculate Dragon Styles to include anti-spirit Charms.

Stone-Steadied Blade seems too much like Dragon-Graced Weapon.

I regret being so negative, but I'll have to return later to say anything positive.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
      If Terrestrial Essence could directly target demons, their Occult Charms would do so. They cannot. They can go after fairies with Earth and the undead with Wood, but Fire either brings peace to the dead, praise to gods, or banishes possessing spirits. Charms to harm spirits are Air-aspected, and capable of causing them only limited harm, such that they need to use Earth Essence to imprison them in stone because they cannot permanently kill things that resurrect.

This is why they needed Golden Janissary Style to go after demons specifically, as well as needing the Immaculate Dragon Styles to include anti-spirit Charms.

I regret being so negative, but I'll have to return later to say anything positive.
      It’s a good point, I wanted to make it fire aspected mostly because I liked the name — I’m going to re-jigger it such that wood harms land based animals and behemoths with Essence pools and the fire aspect deals with the dead.

The charm doesn’t actually do a great deal of harm to the target (especially spirits) it just potentially offsets the cost of excellencies and Burning Dragon Talon or Spirit Grounding Shout— which seems an appropriate effect for a terrestrial effect based on

Stone-Steadied Weapon is somewhat similar but only because I didn’t want to make it a simple charm— it’s just an attempt to provide some Earth utility in Melee outside of dragon graced weapon and actually provides a wholly non-redundant effect.

EDIT: I modified Stone-Steadied blade to resemble Dragon Graced Weapon less and to provide more utility for characters trying to get into Earth Aura with Melee.
      Last edited by JiveX; 03-07-2019, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I'd need to read more than just a skim through but these cost way too little for what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
          I'd need to read more than just a skim through but these cost way too little for what they do.
          Could you maybe be more specific?
          Blistering Hurricane Offense: I can see your point here, I revised it's power downwards
          Stone Steady Blade 3m for a tag is pretty standard (and this is a pretty restrictive use), any more and it would cost almost as much as Demon Crushing Wolf Bite (and it is not nearly as powerful), the additional ability to use a slightly weaker version of Blinding Spark Distraction as an Earth Effect doesn't really offset that very much.
          Ghost Fire Blade: Kind of has to be free to be useful, unless its a scene long charm which feels inappropriate, spending 2i for potentially no benefit feels like a pretty big risk and any more than that and I feel like it stops being worth the gamble.

EDIT Just realized I forgot to add a limit to the mote drain from ghost fire blade, you're right it was way too powerful without one. Now it yields, at most a 5m drain (assuming the character rolls ten 9s or five 10s -- which is fairly unlikely), the 2i expenditure seems reasonable in this case given that it is a huge gamble especially on a decisive attack.

EDIT AGAIN: I decided Ghost Fire Blade's effect was badly built and have revised.
          Last edited by JiveX; 03-07-2019, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JiveX View Post
            Could you maybe be more specific?
            Blistering Hurricane Offense: I can see your point here, I revised it's power downwards
            Stone Steady Blade 3m for a tag is pretty standard (and this is a pretty restrictive use), any more and it would cost almost as much as Demon Crushing Wolf Bite (and it is not nearly as powerful), the additional ability to use a slightly weaker version of Blinding Spark Distraction as an Earth Effect doesn't really offset that very much.
            Ghost Fire Blade: Kind of has to be free to be useful, unless its a scene long charm which feels inappropriate, spending 2i for potentially no benefit feels like a pretty big risk and any more than that and I feel like it stops being worth the gamble.

EDIT Just realized I forgot to add a limit to the mote drain from ghost fire blade, you're right it was way too powerful without one. Now it yields, at most a 5m drain (assuming the character rolls ten 9s or five 10s -- which is fairly unlikely), the 2i expenditure seems reasonable in this case given that it is a huge gamble especially on a decisive attack.

EDIT AGAIN: I decided Ghost Fire Blade's effect was badly built and have revised.
            I guess my issue with Blistering hurricane offense is just that removing soak is pretty powerful. Though the repeated charm use makes it pretty expensive maybe it's just me but I might limit it to aura and automatically start at -1.

When it come to stone steady blade I was just looking at the other effects that it does.

I would make ghost-fire blade an occult charm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post

I believe you, but do we know this is 100% true, absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence and all that rot. Like say in an alternate Univere where we got a Dragonblooded book with twice the Word Count is it beyond the realm of possibility to have Fire Charms modeled against demons?

That said I like this edited version as is so far, guess I never saw the original version.

I don’t think anti ghost effects have to be Wood or Anti Fae has to be Earth, they are just more likely. Like if we got somewhere down the line an Earth charm playing up the burial/entombment Aspect of the Earth to Quiet the Dead I could go with that.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

I believe you, but do we know this is 100% true, absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence and all that rot. Like say in an alternate Univere where we got a Dragonblooded book with twice the Word Count is it beyond the realm of possibility to have Fire Charms modeled against demons?

That said I like this edited version as is so far, guess I never saw the original version.

I don’t think anti ghost effects have to be Wood or Anti Fae has to be Earth, they are just more likely. Like if we got somewhere down the line an Earth charm playing up the burial/entombment Aspect of the Earth to Quiet the Dead I could go with that.
                Also, water has an anti demon Occult charm (their signature) but he makes a good point

Comment

Working...
                X