Thousand Blades Style, potential sources of inspiration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thousand Blades Style, potential sources of inspiration

Irelia, the Blade Dancer (League of Legends)

Murakumo Units (BlazBlue)

Penny Polendina (RWBY; major spoilers at end of first video)

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

I am honestly a bit sad we don’t have the style already, since I had an automaton with Daiklave wings show up in my game already and it would have been a useful reference for what powers to give her.

Because it is a hella cool image.

Comment

The chief inspirations for Thousand Blades Style are Sora in Final Form from Kingdom Hearts II, Noctis in the early Final Fantasy Versus XIII trailer where he appears to have a circle of swords hovering around him and interposing themselves between him and incoming bullet fire, and Dante from Devil May Cry. It came from a discussion on how to implement character action game combat in Exalted and the conclusion that a) those sorts of moves can be given mechanics that are just as flashy but not actually unbalanced, and b) if we make it a martial art it won't be locked to a particular Exalt type.

(I'll be peeved if we don't hit that stretch goal.)

Comment

Vance also likes to cite Hela in Thor: Ragnarok as a major inspiration:

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
          The chief inspirations for Thousand Blades Style are Sora in Final Form from Kingdom Hearts II, Noctis in the early Final Fantasy Versus XIII trailer where he appears to have a circle of swords hovering around him and interposing themselves between him and incoming bullet fire, and Dante from Devil May Cry. It came from a discussion on how to implement character action game combat in Exalted and the conclusion that a) those sorts of moves can be given mechanics that are just as flashy but not actually unbalanced, and b) if we make it a martial art it won't be locked to a particular Exalt type.
          Not incompatible with the above inspirations!

(I'll be peeved if we don't hit that stretch goal.)
          Once enough backers spend enough money for the privilege of spending more money (adding items like Creatures of the Wyld), things might pick up a bit. I know I'll be willing to throw another $10 dollars in.

Comment

Dr. Jackal from Get Backers is an arguable case as well, though he could just as easily be built as a Thrown focused Dragon Blooded.

Comment

Wasn't entirely sure Gilgamesh puts enough skill into his tossing an endless tide of priceless mythical weapons at you to count but decided might as well. Major fate spoilers for the Unlimited Blade Works route

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Lea Sheppard View Post
                and Dante from Devil May Cry.
                Did you mean Vergil? I know Vergil summons glowing spiritual swords to circle around him protectively, but I don't recall Dante having more than the one sword. I've never played the games, but I've watch a showcase of his various weapons, and the closest that comes is a spike-shooting set of "wings" that are more like mantis arms.

Comment

I started spreading the word over at SpaceBattles forums, to try and draw in some last-minute buyers.

I'm not sure if I should try at SufficientVelocity forums. I know Revlid and EarthScorpion hang out there, and last I checked they were bitterly hateful of Third Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                    Did you mean Vergil? I know Vergil summons glowing spiritual swords to circle around him protectively, but I don't recall Dante having more than the one sword. I've never played the games, but I've watch a showcase of his various weapons, and the closest that comes is a spike-shooting set of "wings" that are more like mantis arms.
                    Maybe they mean the fact that he seems to just completely and instantly master any weapon the second he lays hands on it no matter how weird it is (like tri-chucks or a guitar that summons electric bats)?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                      I started spreading the word over at SpaceBattles forums, to try and draw in some last-minute buyers.

I'm not sure if I should try at SufficientVelocity forums. I know Revlid and EarthScorpion hang out there, and last I checked they were bitterly hateful of Third Edition.
                      I mean.....Lunars being awesome is something plenty of people have wanted since the game started, so maybe they'd like the opportunty to check them out?

....Or maybe they'll just rehash why 3e is terrible and turn off more people. I don't really know.

Comment

Thousand Blades Style has been mentioned to be an esoteric martial art. It involves flying swords, I wonder if it is a style that can only be practiced by exalted and spirits unlike other styles that have mortal adherents? Perhaps it is the last remnants of a trend in the first age of essence fueled martial arts that just couldn’t survive in the ruins of the current one.

I am very interested in seeing how it will work out mechanically! I have always liked the visual style as portrayed in the videos people already posted/mentioned. I had always attributed the sword wings to being a special artifact but a martial arts route is intriguing.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                          I mean.....Lunars being awesome is something plenty of people have wanted since the game started, so maybe they'd like the opportunty to check them out?

....Or maybe they'll just rehash why 3e is terrible and turn off more people. I don't really know.
                          Why only do one when they could check out FatG and decide for inane reasons that it’s terrible too?

Comment

Sufficient Velocity was already talking about the kickstarter, so I threw my endorsement in and left it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakesandsuns View Post
                              Thousand Blades Style has been mentioned to be an esoteric martial art. It involves flying swords, I wonder if it is a style that can only be practiced by exalted and spirits unlike other styles that have mortal adherents? Perhaps it is the last remnants of a trend in the first age of essence fueled martial arts that just couldn’t survive in the ruins of the current one.

I am very interested in seeing how it will work out mechanically! I have always liked the visual style as portrayed in the videos people already posted/mentioned. I had always attributed the sword wings to being a special artifact but a martial arts route is intriguing.
                              Eh, mortal adherents of Snake Style can't skewer through armor with essence fortified fingertips but they are still users of the style. I'm sure it will have something mortals can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X