Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Balancing spirit possession spells

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Balancing spirit possession spells

    https://ruscumag.wordpress.com/2010/...-solar-spells/

    OK. There's this:

    Song of the Loa (Terrestrial): 15 Motes. The user opens the way for a willing spirit to bond with a willing host for up to twenty-four hours. While the host remains physically in charge, the spirit may lend the host its abilities (although it’s quite free to lie about what a particular power does) – but is in no way obliged to do so and may depart at any time. Most spirits will want something in exchange for the use of their powers. Ghosts, for example, are notorious for wanting to taste the pleasures of life, while little gods usually want worship and offerings. If it should become relevant – such as an Eclipse caste studying a Spirit Charm – one day spent with a charm available due to the use of Song of the Loa counts as a week of study towards learning it later on.

    How to balance? Share all the charms, essence pool, and stats? Or much less?

  • #2
    Is this a 2 E or 3 E spell? In either case I’d maybe give it a drawback for the beneficiary, perhaps after Stamina hours he must roll to resist fatigue and the spell ends if he loses consciousness. Otherwise it’s trivially easy to bind a bunch of demons and then stick them in mortals removing the need for them to dematerialize. Most spirits of any particular power if I remember had some kind of possession charm. I’d maybe restrict it from being used on a sorcerously bound creature or make a cap on the strength of the being.

    If it’s a 3E spell I’d 100% restrict the charms being granted to a certain number and/or demand the host meet the minimums for them and I’d make the host pay the cost. If the host had no Essence I’d maybe allow the spirit to pay but in doing so damage the host in some way (perhaps spirit’s Essence) dice of lethal damage minimum one level. I’d also maybe allow the character to be lent the spirit’s Base Dice pools at the spirit’s discretion if they are higher than hers. That’s a nice effect which would be really impressive for most hosts but which isn’t as obviously exploitable.

    Comment


    • #3
      More like... I was thinking on how demons, even those that specialise in social and persuasion, look kinda frightening.

      Stats, huh?

      I think there should be damage. Yes. But up to a certain level. And only after the fact. Sharing stats should be passive. And the number of charms... Probably limited by sorcerers essence + occult + intelligence.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        More like... I was thinking on how demons, even those that specialise in social and persuasion, look kinda frightening.
        I'm rather more unsettled by some of my fellow humans than I feel I would be of a violet-skinned, pleasant-smelling stranger.

        Like, I guess unless she was wearing a MAGA hat or something. Ugh.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
          I'm rather more unsettled by some of my fellow humans than I feel I would be of a violet-skinned, pleasant-smelling stranger.

          Like, I guess unless she was wearing a MAGA hat or something. Ugh.
          The violet skin is the least unsettling part. It's the facial features.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
            The violet skin is the least unsettling part. It's the facial features.
            Agree to disagree, I guess.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
              The violet skin is the least unsettling part. It's the facial features.
              Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
              Agree to disagree, I guess.
              Well , bald, violet-skinned humans are not unknown in Creation, but while rare enough to elicit double takes, they are not that unsettling. So the issue is not exactly the skin colour.

              But a Neomah, no matter how they shapechange, simply cannot hide their demonic nature. That is not necessarily frightening --unless you find danger seductive-- but is always recognisably off model. I like to put it that they cannot cross the uncanny valley.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                Well , bald, violet-skinned humans are not unknown in Creation, but while rare enough to elicit double takes, they are not that unsettling. So the issue is not exactly the skin colour.

                But a Neomah, no matter how they shapechange, simply cannot hide their demonic nature. That is not necessarily frightening --unless you find danger seductive-- but is always recognisably off model. I like to put it that they cannot cross the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley"]uncanny valley[/URL].
                .... New demon idea. A bug or insect that casts an illusion. Makes any humanoid demon look perfectly human. Until the claws come out.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Neomah don't have claws though.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                    Neomah don't have claws though.
                    Oh no. I was referring to things like blood apes. All those homebrewed combat demons.

                    Remember there were a bunch of demons in the homebrew thread, statted out for talking and social? Like the Witches of the sea, Crying women, and a species of keruby? Yeah, their appearance might lead them to get barred, or make people wary of them, or tip them off that something supernatural is happening. But if everyone only sees them as a normal human, they become much more dangerous.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X