Totemic Charms Sorting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totemic Charms Sorting

Totemic charms seem like they'd make character creation a bit more complicated, so I made this:
    I tried to sort through all the totemic charms, and list them by their secondary attribute (the attribute which you can take them if you meet the condition)
    In this list, they are secondarily listed by their primary attribute, and then by their requirement. Instead of listing all charms, I've given a summary of the available charms, which are mostly in a coherent tree for each attribute/attribute/condition trio

Appearance
    --Charisma
    ----Prey with tiny or minuscule size: Draw attention
    --Manipulation
    ----Mimics other animal: Convince people other people are or are not certain people
    --Stamina
    ----Feigns Death as defensive behavior: Feign death well.

Charisma
    --Appearance
    ----Hive-Dwelling: telepathy
    --Strength
    ----Threaten or intimidate pool: Crippling injuries count as ties of fear

Dexterity
    --Appearance
    ----Hunt in groups: Command battlegroups
    --Manipulation
    ----Tiny or Minuscule: Remove light sources without suspicion
    --Perception
    ----Prey with tiny or minuscule size: resist surprise attack

Intelligence
    --Stamina
    ----Venomous or Poisonous: Make medicine

Manipulation
    --Appearance
    ----Mimics appearance of another animal: variety of esoteric disguise effects
    ----Camoflauge Merit: give mutations subtlety
    --Dexterity
    ----Tiny or minuscule size: Stealth and larceny type things, make duplicates of yourself
    --Wits
    ----Camouflage: Conceal tracks

Perception
    --Dexterity
    ----Vision-enhancing merit: aim
    --Wits
    ----Migratory: Good travel, including resisting hazards and wyld while traveling

Stamina
    --Charisma
    ----Berserker: Train troops
    --Dexterity
    ----Hive-dwelling: Free decisive counterattacks
    --Intelligence
    ----Carrion-feeder: Treat disease
    ----Hunts in groups: Strategy, orders
    --Strength
    ----Legendary Size: Do stuff with legendary size
    ----Beast of Burden: Hold stuff together/still

Strength
    --Appearance
    ----Hunt in groups: Commanding and fighting battlegroups
    --Charisma
    ----Threaten or intimidate pool: talk loudly, attack with sound
    ----Hunt in groups: lead battlegroups

Wits
    --Charisma
    ----Any: Claim territory
    --Dexterity
    ----Minuscule Size: transform into minuscule size, make swarms
    ----Can climb sheer surfaces: Walk on walls and ceilings
    --Perception
    ----Migratory: Walk through magical portals, barriers, and boundaries between realms
    --Stamina
    ----Poisonous or Venomous: Resist and use poison
    ----Breathes Water: Breathe water or air
    Last edited by autXautY; 03-10-2019, 01:55 PM. Reason: Indentation was lost in copying, replacing with dashes

That's very useful, though a bit difficult to follow.

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
      That's very useful, though a bit difficult to follow.
      I think that was because it lost formatting copying it, I've replaced that with dashes. Does that help?

Comment

It's not how I'd do it, but it works.

My characters:
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

So, I re-sorted these based on the animal forms, because I found it easier to see what applies to a character.

Any: Claim territory (Charisma to Wits)

Berserker: Train troops (Charisma to Stamina)

Camoflauge Merit: give mutations subtlety (Appearance to Manipulation), Conceal tracks (Wits to Manipulation)

Can climb sheer surfaces: Walk on walls and ceilings (Charisma to Wits)

Carrion-feeder: Treat disease (Intelligence to Stamina)

Breathes Water: Breathe water or air (Stamina to Wits)

Beast of Burden: Hold stuff together/still (Strength to Stamina)

Feigns Death as defensive behavior: Feign death well. (Stamina to Appearance)

Hive-Dwelling: telepathy (Appearance to Charisma), Free decisive counterattacks (Dexterity to Charisma)

Hunt in groups: Command battlegroups (Appearance to Dexterity), Strategy, orders (Intelligence to Stamina), Commanding and fighting battlegroups (Appearance to Strength), lead battlegroups (Charisma to Strength)

Legendary Size: Do stuff with legendary size (Strength to Stamina)

Migratory: Good travel, including resisting hazards and wyld while traveling (Wits to Perception), Walk through magical portals, barriers, and boundaries between realms (Perception to Wits)

Mimics other animal: Convince people other people are or are not certain people (Charisma to Appearance)
          Mimics appearance of another animal: variety of esoteric disguise effects (Appearance to Manipulation)

Minuscule Size: transform into minuscule size, make swarms (Dexterity to Wits)

Minuscule Size or Tiny Size: Remove light sources without suspicion (Manipulation to Dexterity), Stealth and larceny type things (Dexterity to Manipulation), make duplicates of yourself (Dexterity to Manipulation)

Minuscule Size Prey or Tiny Size Prey: Draw attention (Charisma to Appearance), resist surprise attack (Perception to Dexterity)

Threaten or intimidate pool: Crippling injuries count as ties of fear (Strength to Charisma), talk loudly, attack with sound (Charisma to Strength)

Venomous or Poisonous: Make medicine (Stamina to Intelligence), Resist and use poison (Stamina to Wits)

Vision-enhancing merit: Aim (Dexterity to Perception)
          Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 04-02-2019, 06:01 PM.

My characters:

Comment

It is very useful, thank you.

Comment

I know this isn't the place but how is totemic charms suppost to work

Comment

Every totemic charm has as being totemic a requirement an animal could possess (ie. vision-enhancing merit, is legendary size), and a secondary attribute.
                If your spirit shape fulfills that requirement, then you may treat the charm as being of that attribute instead of its usual attribute. This affects whether you buy it at favored price and what attribute you need to fulfill the minimum.
                This allows lunars to buy charms that are halfway between an attribute they invest in and one they don't, regardless of what attribute that charm ended up in. It also increases the importance of spirit shape in building your character.

If a totemic charm has prerequisites, either they will also be totemic with the same requirement and secondary attribute, or it will specify a different set of prerequisites when taken as the secondary attribute. This is so you can always fulfill the requirements using only charms from the secondary attribute.

Comment

For example, if you are a No Moon with a poisonous snake totem who favours Dex/Int/Per/Wits, you can buy most of the poison tree (normally Stamina) as Wits charms, in order to get favoured costs and meet the prerequisites with your Wits 5 rather than fail to meet them with your Stamina 3.

Or, if you have a Wolf-totem Full Moon, you can buy a lot of charms for commanding battle groups as Strength charms, whereas normally they'd be all over Charisma, Intelligence, etc.

For my own Snake totem casteless, I actually bought 2 poison charms as Wits charms just to get the excellency.

My characters:

Comment

Working...
                  X