This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    If I buy Scorpion-And-Toad Absolution and Adder Fang Method as Wits charms at character creation, can I later buy Mamba-And-Cobra Mastery and Poison Blood Prana as Stamina charms?

Or similar situations. Essentially, if you buy a charm totemically, can you buy the next charm in the tree un-totemically (assuming this isn't one of those where the prerequisite charms change). Or vice-versa, buying a charm normally and then buying the next one with a different Attribute, totemically.
    When it comes to prerequisite Charms, it doesn't matter what Attribute you purchased them under.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Zelbinnean View Post
      Will Lunar Exalted again have Charms (perhaps under the Heart's Blood category) that allow them to take the shape of plants, pieces of terrain, or environmental hazards?
      No.

If "no," does your answer change if I backed the Kickstarter sufficiently to request a custom charm? Or is this just an overall design space/aesthetic you are not intending Lunars to possess in this edition?
      If you backed for a custom Charm, you get your custom Charm. While I'll try my best to find a way to make concepts work with our vision of Lunar Charms in a way that doesn't require the Apocryphal keyword, the ultimate priority is making sure the backer gets what they want.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        If you backed for a custom Charm, you get your custom Charm. While I'll try my best to find a way to make concepts work with our vision of Lunar Charms in a way that doesn't require the Apocryphal keyword, the ultimate priority is making sure the backer gets what they want.
        Gotcha, I appreciate that! At the same time I wouldn't want to push something obviously antithetical. This was just something that popped into my head when I was looking at all the manuscript releases and I noticed the absence compared to 2e.

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        No.
        If you're comfortable answering this, is the rationale because it doesn't plug into the IRL mythos for "divine shapeshifters" that is a core Lunar theme and therefore is not appropriate? Like, Lunars aren't just "general shapeshifters," they are embodying a particular type of shapeshifter common to real-world myths from multiple cultures? I personally can't think of a time where any cultural trickster-hero turned into a tree or a fog bank to achieve their goals, so I get why it might not be in the themes y'all are trying to convey.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

• Originally posted by Zelbinnean View Post
          If you're comfortable answering this, is the rationale because it doesn't plug into the IRL mythos for "divine shapeshifters" that is a core Lunar theme and therefore is not appropriate? Like, Lunars aren't just "general shapeshifters," they are embodying a particular type of shapeshifter common to real-world myths from multiple cultures? I personally can't think of a time where any cultural trickster-hero turned into a tree or a fog bank to achieve their goals, so I get why it might not be in the themes y'all are trying to convey.
          Fine-tuning the Lunar to evoke the mythic and cultural resonance of various animals through their shapeshifting and their Protean and Totemic Charms was a big part of how we tried to convey our vision of them, and that emphasis gets undermined if you let them them turn into magical animals/demons/geography instead. They definitely aren't meant to be generic, all-encompassing shapeshifters, and I think that specificity is part of their strength.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            Fine-tuning the Lunar to evoke the mythic and cultural resonance of various animals through their shapeshifting and their Protean and Totemic Charms was a big part of how we tried to convey our vision of them, and that emphasis gets undermined if you let them them turn into magical animals/demons/geography instead. They definitely aren't meant to be generic, all-encompassing shapeshifters, and I think that specificity is part of their strength.
            Thank you for the response, I appreciate it!

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

• I realize that quick character stats aren't meant to entirely one-to-one map to a character sheet, but I figured I might as well ask this: Is there a reason that Hata Mor, Raksi, and Ma-Ha-Suchi's first tiers of their grapple excellencies are different from the first tiers of excellencies for other attack rolls since they're all supposed to be based on the same stat by default?

Also, what is Raksi's attunement cost for The Book of Three Circles? It's not included like other Lunars' mote pools (and her pools are lower than Ma-Ha-Suchi's and Lilith's, so I feel like her write-up is missing something there).
              Last edited by Mynorin; 03-12-2019, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• Does Raksi's Sage of the Three Circles allow her to cast Solar Circle Spells? My first thought is no, since Spell-Swallowing Pages specifically calls it out whereas it doesn't here, but I wanted to be sure.

Comment

• is Impenetrable Armor a merit that can be purchased? If so, what are the points for it?

Comment

• Besides the Blazing Interception that allows a defend other action to enable a counterattack, are cheap counterattacks not a thing terrestrials can do (or just something that wasn’t included for space/etc). If one were to make one for Brawl, a straightforward one like Blazing Interception that allows defense to yield a counterattack, would it likely require willpower to be spent and or high Essence?

Is there a particular reason that clash charms seem typically more accessible to terrestrials? Depending on the mechanics of the specific charm it doesn’t seem like One is necessarily better than the other. Am I missing anything?

More straightforward , can one use clash or counterattack Charms, after using perfected scales of the dragon or does the “no attacking in next turn” clause void using charms to attack outside the character’s next turn.

Last question, thank you for reading this far, if a character with Immovable Mountain Technique active activates Erupting Fury barage or other multiple attack charm and the target uses Tiger Claw Swat in response to the first attack, would you allow the character to finish the flurry before being knocked back?

Comment

• Does the minuscule size merit prevent you from dealing decisive damage with any attacks, or is it just the natural attacks an animal has that are called out as not dealing decisive damage?
                      In particular, can a sorcerer in minuscule size deal decisive damage with spells to normal size creatures, but also can Last Warrior's Unity enable dealing decisive damage?
                      If not, can they use spells like Thunder Wolf's Howl and Cantata of Empty Voices to deal damage without using decisive attacks?

Raksi knows the rituals of Raksi's Tutelage, and presumably no other shaping rituals. Should we take this as her having learned these from some other source, having somehow become a sorcerer by teaching herself, having lost her original shaping ritual at some point, or some other possibility?

Comment

• I know that 3E Lunars aren't the Wyld savants they were in previous editions, but I was a bit sad to see that the be-all of their Wyld-manipulation Charms was just to make Wyld zones safer to live in, and to maybe be a Solar Wyld-former's assistant. Could a repurchase effect of Harmony with Realty Technique provide some Wyld-shaping skill in the claimed territory? Or perhaps a more direct application of Laughing in the Teeth of Madness?

Comment

• Does Argent Songbird Voice apply only to vocal utterances or does it work for stuff like dancing too?

Comment

• So, we just Unleashed Sublime Danger. Are you dreading having to write this style or do you basically have it done already?

Comment

• Does the book of three circles have evocations?

Comment

• Is Many-Voiced Mockingbird Attitude limited to being used in forms normally capable of speech?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                                X