Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What specific types of apefolk exist in Mahalanka? I assume most are of the same sort of ape as Raksi's spirit shape, but it's not clear if we're talking gorillas or orangutans or chimps here.

E: well, I guess Raksi's spirit shape is a chimp so they're probably mostly chimps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jade-Wrought Sunfire View Post

A follow-up on this: I'm assuming the books mentioned are Towers of the Mighty (Manses/Ruins) and Paths of Brigid (Sorcery/Thaumaturgy). I heard you and Eric had re-pitched them, but have they been approved? I know you can't mention when they may come out, but knowing they're definitely coming would be great!
      Nope, still waiting on pitch approvals. (These things take a while.)

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• To make my last question actually a question: can Raksi's trials produce non-chimp apes?

​And for PC relevance: if my spirit shape is a wolf, can I produce non-wolf beastman trials based on my heart's blood library, or am I stuck with just my spirit shape?

Comment

• In the Cathak, Sesus and Tepet house legions (not the newly seized ones, the original ones) were there official or unofficial barriers to how high non-House Dragonblood (ie husbands who'd married in) could reach?

For example, if a Mnemon officer married into House Tepet, could he rise to Winglord in a legion? Dragonlord? Strategos? (I'm guessing not Strategos)

To put it another way, would you expect the 10 Dragonlords of a House Cathak Legion to all be Cathaks, or might one or two (or three or four) be husbands from other Houses, or Outcastes?

My characters:
          Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
          Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Originally posted by MorsRattus View Post
            To make my last question actually a question: can Raksi's trials produce non-chimp apes?

​And for PC relevance: if my spirit shape is a wolf, can I produce non-wolf beastman trials based on my heart's blood library, or am I stuck with just my spirit shape?
            A spirit shape, like any other shape, is specific. Your wolf spirit shape is a specific wolf; you can't turn into a different wolf as your "spirit shape," let alone turn into a dog and say it's your spirit shape because they're both canines. This is the same as any other shape; you can't perform a sacred hunt on some random dude and then use that shape to turn into the Empress because they're both human shapes, and you can't perform a sacred hunt on a chimpanzee and use that shape to turn into a gorilla or orangutan.

(And I don't think "stuck with" is fair phrasing; you don't need the ability to make every conceivable type of beastfolk for it to be impressive that you can make beastfolk.)

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              In the Cathak, Sesus and Tepet house legions (not the newly seized ones, the original ones) were there official or unofficial barriers to how high non-House Dragonblood (ie husbands who'd married in) could reach?

For example, if a Mnemon officer married into House Tepet, could he rise to Winglord in a legion? Dragonlord? Strategos? (I'm guessing not Strategos)

To put it another way, would you expect the 10 Dragonlords of a House Cathak Legion to all be Cathaks, or might one or two (or three or four) be husbands from other Houses, or Outcastes?
              It's unlikely that any out-of-house spouses were ever promoted to the rank of general, but the occasional out-of-house dragonlord would have been plausible. But the specifics of whether barriers to promotion were were official or unofficial, and where those barriers stood, is something to resolve at your table based on the needs of relevant PC and NPC backstories.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                A spirit shape, like any other shape, is specific. Your wolf spirit shape is a specific wolf; you can't turn into a different wolf as your "spirit shape," let alone turn into a dog and say it's your spirit shape because they're both canines. This is the same as any other shape; you can't perform a sacred hunt on some random dude and then use that shape to turn into the Empress because they're both human shapes, and you can't perform a sacred hunt on a chimpanzee and use that shape to turn into a gorilla or orangutan.

(And I don't think "stuck with" is fair phrasing; you don't need the ability to make every conceivable type of beastfolk for it to be impressive that you can make beastfolk.)
                ​That's fair, not great phrasing on my part. Mostly it just seems to me a little sad that Mahalanka doesn't have gorillas or orangutans or other non-chimps around as much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                  It's unlikely that any out-of-house spouses were ever promoted to the rank of general, but the occasional out-of-house dragonlord would have been plausible. But the specifics of whether barriers to promotion were were official or unofficial, and where those barriers stood, is something to resolve at your table based on the needs of relevant PC and NPC backstories.
                  Is this a factor is the male glass ceiling in the Realm?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by MorsRattus View Post

​That's fair, not great phrasing on my part. Mostly it just seems to me a little sad that Mahalanka doesn't have gorillas or orangutans or other non-chimps around as much.
                    [keep in mind Raksi isn’t the only Lunar in Mahalanka, so no all Beastfolk need descend from her specifically]

Directing this to the Devs - would a Lunar Charm that allows drawing on one’s greater form library for more diverse Beastfolk creation be fair building off the Charms that let you use your full form library for granting mutations and creating shapeshifters?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

[keep in mind Raksi isn’t the only Lunar in Mahalanka, so no all Beastfolk need descend from her specifically]

Directing this to the Devs - would a Lunar Charm that allows drawing on one’s greater form library for more diverse Beastfolk creation be fair building off the Charms that let you use your full form library for granting mutations and creating shapeshifters?
                      It's not something I'd put into an official book, because I like that Raksi's Thousand Fangs Army is specifically made up of chimpanzeefolk, and that Ma-Ha-Suchi's beastfolk elite are goatfolk and wolf-folk, and that the esteemed descendants of Aum-Ashatra are specifically spiderfolk. It makes those parts of the setting feel like like they are tied to the legend and personality of the Lunar who created them, in the same way that Lunar's spirit shape is. If a Storyteller wants to change that in their own game, they should feel free.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Mela's Coil is a 5 dot armour artifact that incorporates a 3 dot light weapon (Razor Claws).

Obviously the answer to my question is "ask your ST", but can I get a dev opinion on building artifact Articulated Plate with built-in, reflexively readible smash-fists? Would it be acceptable from a game design point of view to simply replace Mela's Coil's razor claws with smash fists?

And, follow up question, is putting a Hearthstone designed for weapons (like a Jewel of Swift Strike) in Mela's Coil a kosher way of enhancing the built-in Razor Claws?

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Alright, so I've been working on a character for an Exalted thing (a bat-themed Lunar mate for another character's Solar), and in the process of making the sheet, I've come across a few issues that I'd like some clarification on.

First off, Miniscule size only refers to insect-sized stuff, right? So a bat won't count as Miniscule size? (Tips to homebrewing a bat form would also be helpful for me, as I will probably need to do so at some point too, but the miniscule/small disctinction will affect my charm choices so it's higher priority at the moment)

Secondly (and probably the biggest question) is, how exactly does the echolocation merit mesh with the Echo-Drinking Awareness charm?

For context, here's the effects of the Echolocation merit:
                          The mutant can echolocate like a bat or dolphin. She can “see” out to short range using hearing instead of vision, ignoring penalties or increased difficulties due to blindness, darkness, poor visibility, etc. However, she can’t discern color or fine detail, and solid obstructions like walls block echolocation.
                          An alternative version of this mutation only functions while submerged in water, but extends to medium range.
                          And here's the effects of the charm:
                          The Lunar reshapes her vocal cords and inner ears, perceiving the world through ultrasonic vibrations. She can “see” through echolocation, visualizing black-and-white images of everything out to long range even in zero visibility. Her echolocation penetrates walls and similar obstructions, so long as they aren’t airtight. Characters can still use Stealth against the Lunar, but she adds a success on rolls to detect them. If the Lunar enhances her hearing with Sense-Sharpening Change, its benefits also apply to rolls that would normally be vision-based. Protean: In human or animal shape with the Echolocation Merit, the Lunar instead doubles 9s on echolocation-based rolls, including Join Battle rolls. Unlike most Protean Charms, this includes the Lunar’s true human shape.
                          So, from what I can interpret, the difference between using the charm without the merit, and the charm with the merit, is "long range, blocked only by solid airtight obstructions and I'd assume fine detail, bonus to stealth charms and boost to hearing/'visual' rolls" vs "short range, blocked by solid obstructions, and no fine detail, but 9-agains on echolocation-based rolls," respectively. I'm... really sure I interpreted this wrong. Otherwise, there'd be little reason to go with both the merit and the charm, because a Lunar in a bat form (or a dolphin form, or has the echolocation merit for non-Lunar-related reasons) would arguably get a serious downgrade to the effects of this charm, compared to, say, someone with a lion spirit form. Was this an intended effect, an error from a prior write-up, or am I majorly misinterpreting the text?

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                            I'm on something of a Yozi kick atm, so I was curious--do you have a favorite of the lot?
                            I'm fond of Szoreny.

I guess this is for Neall and Monica, but you might know as well! For the STguide, last I recall we'd get previews of the remaining exalted (Gets, Infernals, Alchemicals I think?) Would these be a QC entry or comparable to the Auxillary Exalts in Exigents?
                            I've heard of Storytellers being reluctant to use Sidereals or Abyssals or Infernals in their 3e games, because they're unsure of how things have changed in this edition. I've also seen them reluctant to engage with Liminals or Getimians, because they're shrouded in so much mystery. The primary goal is to excite players into potentially playing these Exalts when their respective books are released, and for Storytellers to be able to incorporate the presence of other Exalts and their factional goals into storylines for the currently-fully-playable Exalts. This will probably take the form of QCs, among other things.

Neall Raemonn Price
                            Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

IIRC, the trials are based on your spirit shape but Sharing the Gifts of Luna can be from any shape in your heart's blood library. So you can make other kinds of beastmen, it's just impractical to make many.

My characters:
                              Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                              Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Originally posted by Aquatica1000 View Post
                                Alright, so I've been working on a character for an Exalted thing (a bat-themed Lunar mate for another character's Solar), and in the process of making the sheet, I've come across a few issues that I'd like some clarification on.

First off, Miniscule size only refers to insect-sized stuff, right? So a bat won't count as Miniscule size? (Tips to homebrewing a bat form would also be helpful for me, as I will probably need to do so at some point too, but the miniscule/small disctinction will affect my charm choices so it's higher priority at the moment)
                                Most bat species are going to be Tiny Creature-sized, but a bumblebee bat is gonna be Minuscule Size.

Secondly (and probably the biggest question) is, how exactly does the echolocation merit mesh with the Echo-Drinking Awareness charm?

For context, here's the effects of the Echolocation merit:

And here's the effects of the charm:

So, from what I can interpret, the difference between using the charm without the merit, and the charm with the merit, is "long range, blocked only by solid airtight obstructions and I'd assume fine detail, bonus to stealth charms and boost to hearing/'visual' rolls" vs "short range, blocked by solid obstructions, and no fine detail, but 9-agains on echolocation-based rolls," respectively. I'm... really sure I interpreted this wrong. Otherwise, there'd be little reason to go with both the merit and the charm, because a Lunar in a bat form (or a dolphin form, or has the echolocation merit for non-Lunar-related reasons) would arguably get a serious downgrade to the effects of this charm, compared to, say, someone with a lion spirit form. Was this an intended effect, an error from a prior write-up, or am I majorly misinterpreting the text?
                                The interaction of Echo-Drinking Awareness and the Echolocation mechanic is something we're looking at adjusting for the final draft.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X