Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask the Devs v2

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Epitome View Post
    Can sufficiently powerful Sorcerous Workings mess with Exaltations? For instance, could a working either grant an exaltation, change the nature of an exaltation (i.e. turn a DB into a Sidereal) or turn an Exalt back into a mortal?
    We've seen Exaltations changed - the Lunars remaking their Castes, and the creation of the Abyssal and Infernal Exalted. Sorcery may have been involved, but I don't think any of those were the result of a single sorcerous working.

    Sorcerous workings cannot canonically create Exaltations or de-Exalt people.


    Developer for Exalted

    Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

    Robert Vance's Patreon

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
      Flails and maces are, I think, a conceptually separate thing from fighting chains.
      Turns out that flails were originally used for threshing wheat, like nunchucks.


      Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

      My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by limaxophobiac View Post
        Faster Than Self Technique has always been a bit unclear to me with how it's supposed to work, while Locust-and-Starling Legion does a similar thing but is a lot clearer. Beside FTST restrictions on Resistance charms and heavy armor, LaSLs restriction on simple attack charms, and LaSL getting base 10 magnitude and then a size bonus while FTST just gets 10 magnitude, I'm wondering what the differences/similarities between them mechanically are supposed to be.

        1. Is FTST supposed to split initiative for decisive attacks like LaSL?

        2. Are FTST withering attacks also supposed to only reward initiative for the highest damage roll?
        I wasn't involved in writing Faster Than Self Technique, so I can't really speak to how it's intended to work. While the text of it doesn't say anything about splitting Initiative on decisives or limiting Initiative gain on withering, I think the balance is better if it works that way.


        Developer for Exalted

        Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

        Robert Vance's Patreon

        Comment


        • Vance's input is very welcome, but I'm aiming this at Eric:

          Sometime ago, you made a list of sample basic projects. Does this list still hold now you're a dev?

          https://ericminton.wordpress.com/201...asic-projects/

          And is there any chance of updating your blog to make it "official"?


          Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
            Vance's input is very welcome, but I'm aiming this at Eric:

            Sometime ago, you made a list of sample basic projects. Does this list still hold now you're a dev?

            https://ericminton.wordpress.com/201...asic-projects/
            Vance takes point on rules questions; I'd rather not interfere with that.

            Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
            And is there any chance of updating your blog to make it "official"?
            Neither my blog nor the Ask the Devs thread is "official." My feeling is that it's unproductive to ask Storytellers and players to stay up to date on a million zillion posts in order to keep on top of an "official" understanding of the published rules. We hope the advice and guidelines we provide here are helpful, but they're still just advice and guidelines. (Even more so than the published rules, at any rate.)


            Developer for Exalted.

            Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
              I wasn't involved in writing Faster Than Self Technique, so I can't really speak to how it's intended to work. While the text of it doesn't say anything about splitting Initiative on decisives or limiting Initiative gain on withering, I think the balance is better if it works that way.
              Don't you not gain any initiative because you're a battle group?


              My characters:
              Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
              Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

              Comment


              • I had some questions on page 109, that Mr. Minton either did not see, or choose not to answer, I don't know. I would hardly mind if Mr. Vance answered them either, I am just hopeful of some sort of answer given that I will run our first session the coming weekend, and I have spent more quite some hours so far building my setting. Note that I am not, of course, asking if "this is how a manse works", of course it is not, those rules have yet to be written. I am just asking if it is miles away from what makes sense to you as developers, as I am trying to get my new campaign to be as close to canon as I can, since I happen to like your canon for the third edition setting. I would very much appreciate it if one of you had the time to take a look at my questions!

                This is what I wrote:
                So I am working on creating a good indepth setting for next weekends first session, and I have been thinking about what you told me regarding that the powers of the War Manse should be limited to what I want my players to be able to use etc. I gave it some thought and came up with an idea. As a War Manse, I am thinking it is safe to say (please do correct me if I am wrong) that it sits atop a N/A Demnse and thus is a N/A type Manse. I was then thinking that it could yield maybe a lesser heartstone for each element as well as a greater solar stone to control the manse, and that it could maybe be used with fewer stones, but that each lesser stone represents something like 10km range of some elemental attack the War Manse can employ and the greater solar stone maybe gives it 30km range to a 80km maximum radius sone which protects Greyfalls as well as the power to give aggravated damage to Creatures of Darkness (guessing war manses were fortress-locations in the First Age and built specifically to defend Creation against its foes, as well as fuel the Realm Defense Grid) and maybe parts of a couple of dominions subjected to its rule. That sounds like enough space for a modest petty kingdom from the middle ages directly protected by the War Manse. Is this idea super far fetched (like for instance my assumption that N/A Manses create several heartstones) and would it ruin anything which is currently canon to the setting? I would, if possible, like to adopt everything as close to canon as possible. I know that there won't be rules for manses for years, but I just wondered if this sounded really far fetched mechanically and setting-wise and extremely far away from what you devs envision a War Manse to do.

                Also, if I may ask, Greyfalls sounds like a mercantile hub built around the legion encampment, serving the trade routes of the Golden road, so is it possible that the city itself has up to 80 000-100 000 people, or would this be too much canonically ? I am assuming Greyfalls also has hinterlands with farming villages and rural farms to feed it that all fall under the borders of Greyfalls. Unfortunately, the Realm doesn't say anything at all as to even the approximate size of the territory in question.
                As for the Golden Road, it is a bit unclear to me if it is if it goes all the way to up that river fork where I guess Ixcoatli starts (on the exalted world map), or if it is just goes a part of the way, since it is a considerable distance if House Cynis control all of it and must even patrol it !

                An at last a detail, it says that Robe is controlled by a mortal and a god, and that the god, Echo Drinker is a rat god. Is he/she a god of rats as a concept (which I guess would make him a celestial god) or is he a god of a particular type of rat, or rats of just a particular elemental direction (such as rats of the east).

                In advance, thank you very much !

                Comment


                • Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

                  Don't you not gain any initiative because you're a battle group?
                  I don't think that is the intention of Faster Than Self Technique, nor do I think it is how it should work.


                  Developer for Exalted

                  Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                  Robert Vance's Patreon

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Magnus K View Post
                    This is what I wrote:
                    So I am working on creating a good indepth setting for next weekends first session, and I have been thinking about what you told me regarding that the powers of the War Manse should be limited to what I want my players to be able to use etc. I gave it some thought and came up with an idea. As a War Manse, I am thinking it is safe to say (please do correct me if I am wrong) that it sits atop a N/A Demnse and thus is a N/A type Manse. I was then thinking that it could yield maybe a lesser heartstone for each element as well as a greater solar stone to control the manse, and that it could maybe be used with fewer stones, but that each lesser stone represents something like 10km range of some elemental attack the War Manse can employ and the greater solar stone maybe gives it 30km range to a 80km maximum radius sone which protects Greyfalls as well as the power to give aggravated damage to Creatures of Darkness (guessing war manses were fortress-locations in the First Age and built specifically to defend Creation against its foes, as well as fuel the Realm Defense Grid) and maybe parts of a couple of dominions subjected to its rule. That sounds like enough space for a modest petty kingdom from the middle ages directly protected by the War Manse. Is this idea super far fetched (like for instance my assumption that N/A Manses create several heartstones) and would it ruin anything which is currently canon to the setting? I would, if possible, like to adopt everything as close to canon as possible. I know that there won't be rules for manses for years, but I just wondered if this sounded really far fetched mechanically and setting-wise and extremely far away from what you devs envision a War Manse to do.
                    The war manses that collectively make up the Realm Defense Grid are not themselves all going to be N/A manses. Off the top of my head, I'd imagine that the Imperial Manse is the only "N/A" manse in the Grid, and all the others are just regular lesser and/or greater manses, made important by virtue of location rather than being super-powerful. Of course, if you want to change that up in your game, go for it.

                    Also, if I may ask, Greyfalls sounds like a mercantile hub built around the legion encampment, serving the trade routes of the Golden road, so is it possible that the city itself has up to 80 000-100 000 people, or would this be too much canonically ? I am assuming Greyfalls also has hinterlands with farming villages and rural farms to feed it that all fall under the borders of Greyfalls. Unfortunately, the Realm doesn't say anything at all as to even the approximate size of the territory in question.
                    Population numbers aren't my strong suit, but that doesn't sound implausible to me at first blush.

                    As for the Golden Road, it is a bit unclear to me if it is if it goes all the way to up that river fork where I guess Ixcoatli starts (on the exalted world map), or if it is just goes a part of the way, since it is a considerable distance if House Cynis control all of it and must even patrol it !
                    The Golden Road trade route connects Greyfalls to Ixcoatli, and possibly beyond, but the Cynis garrison doesn't control the entire Golden Road—just the satrapy of Greyfalls.

                    An at last a detail, it says that Robe is controlled by a mortal and a god, and that the god, Echo Drinker is a rat god. Is he/she a god of rats as a concept (which I guess would make him a celestial god) or is he a god of a particular type of rat, or rats of just a particular elemental direction (such as rats of the east).
                    I'd envisioned them as a god with a strongly ratlike form and nature, who may or may not also be a god of rats. That's not canon, and you can do whatever you want with them.


                    Developer for Exalted

                    Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                    Robert Vance's Patreon

                    Comment


                    • If you have a player who's got someone grappled with rounds of control remaining, would you allow them to throw the grappled character at a third character? If so, how would you model that?


                      Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                        Off the top of my head, Taru-Han is the god of the act of dying, who oversees the departure of souls to Lethe.
                        A tangental question to this. If a mortal adhering to The Bishop's theocracy of the "Shining Path" prays to the god of Death (or worshipers of other entities who are trying to make themselves into a sort of death god); do the prayers go to the Bishop; or do they go to Taru-Han? Does the prayer benefits get split as the Shining Path adherent mortal prays to the God of Death to spare him before he ascends to ghosthood (or whatever the thousand variants of the Shining Path claim)? Just wondering if a mortal could be trying to pray to an entity like the Bishop but because what they request is the purview of a different God that the prayer gets redirected to that God in the form of a wrong number. Taru-Han gets it, but it addressed to vaguely to him/her but doesn't fit anything his priests teach. Do thye just figure it is a "butt dial" and move on with their day, taking the ambrosia that comes with it?

                        Comment


                        • Did only the raksha and their vassals invade during the Balorian Crusade, or did other Wyld powers like the Scorpion Empire also participate?

                          Comment


                          • Thanks a lot for your answers, Vance ! I might go with an N/A manse because I like the idea of the War Manse having been able to protect a small area around Greyfalls proper, from stuff like Raksha etc. So I might tone down my original idea while still keeping the manse relatively powerful within maybe something like 50km range or so (but also very stationary). Again, thanks !

                            Comment


                            • How hard is it for someone to fake their identity as a Peasant? Like say a foreigner or an escaped slave? I wager the biggest issue may be if you are caught you are in deep trouble, but most peasant communities do not sound like they have the best records.

                              While I assume every Dynast probably has the equivalent to papers indicating their house mons and membership if not outright pedigree, how common is that with Patricians? They after all have familiy names and form the mid level nobility.

                              Does the realm have something along the lines of Social Security numbers (I don't mean literally), where they have some paper stamped somewhere to indicate you were born? I'm assuming this isn't super reliable if even a thing for the peasants though, since they probably are more regulated based on community rather then individually. If a peasant becomes something like a trapper or woodsmen though wouldn't it behoove them to have some sort of official ID so people don't mistake them for dispossessed or an escaped slave?

                              Since Dragonblooded can only free one slave a year legally, what are the steps in the way of just say passing off ten slaves that nobody knows about as peasants? I mean are the Cynis spending that much money on keeping track of slaves they already sold? I mean the big step is if you are not good at it and you get caught you have to explain yourself to the magistrates. But if you are Exalted you have a good chance you could be a Master Forger/Larcenist who can quite excellently forge identities for a simple family of slaves as peasants. This should be especially easier then all the times you forge identities for your agents as Patricians for the purpose of spying.


                              It is a time for great deeds!

                              Comment


                              • If you have an intimacy connected to crafting can you do the whole "I enjoy crafting X" intimacy and combine it with Craftsman Needs No Tools to get silver xp? Essentially I am asking does this count as the uphelding an intimacy condition mentioned in the crafting chapter?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X