This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Burning Exorcism Technique lets you banish (or attempt to) spiritual malaises.

What does this mean? Is it simply magical diseases that affect your mind rather than body, like Cracked Mirror Blight, etc? Or would it apply to anything else?

If my friend has been cursed with madness (ie a derangement of some kind) by a spirit (they're not possessed, just cursed), would either Burning Exorcism, Soul Projection or Immortal Soul Vigil help?

What if they were cursed with madness, but not by a spirit? (Say, by a sorcerer or an Exalt or the botch of a sorcerous working.)
    As kind of a follow up to this question. Since emerald banishment no longer exists does this mean that heptagram no longer teaches demon summoning to its students? Since previously it was explicitly only taught after you mastered banishment. Can anyone still banish demons outside of using lengthy sorcerous workings ? And is this viable as a higher tier custom spell ? Banishing terrestrial demons as celestial spell and banishing 2nd circles as solar custom spells. And what’s the logic behind removing it in the first place ? As having demons around doing stuff instead of players hurts the game more than being able to get rid of them having achieved a certain level of sorcerous mastery. I just find it counter intuitive being told straight up NO to being a solar exorcist . It just seems bizarre.
    Last edited by Beast of Bitter Oblivion; 06-17-2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Hi all! I know y'all want answers to a lot of questions in here, but as Eric and Vance are both incredibly busy developing books, they may not have time to answer involved posts about specific power interactions. They/we aren't ignoring you, but in some cases where a post would require a several-hundred-word answer, it may not be something we can get to in a timely manner/at all. We're making so many books at once right now (12 at last count!), and all of them require some amount of Eric and Vance's oversight.

Sorry if we can't get to a question, but we're working hard to make the best books we can for everyone! If you can, try to keep queries to a few sentences, and Vance or Eric will answer them when they get a chance. Thank you for understanding.

In-House Developer for Chronicles of Darkness and Exalted

Comment

• I'm a bit confused, will the Exigents book contain info about the "kinda optional" exalts like Umbral, Hearteaters, Dream-Souled, Getimian, and Liminal, or just minor gods' exalts created via Exigence?

Join the Strife

Comment

• Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
          I'm a bit confused, will the Exigents book contain info about the "kinda optional" exalts like Umbral, Hearteaters, Dream-Souled, Getimian, and Liminal, or just minor gods' exalts created via Exigence?
          Exigents will cover the Dream-Souled, Hearteaters, and Umbrals in an appendix. Getimians and Liminals are not "optional Exalted" and are anticipated to get coverage in their own books down the line.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• So I'm kinda wondering about astrology (not the Sidereal version, but the stuff practised by mortals and other Exalted). Would that be best represented by Thaumaturgy rituals or just the use of the Occult ability?

"Let us take men and give them the favor of the gods and use them as our champions against the Primordials, that we might overthrow them and play for ourselves the Games of Divinity."

Comment

• Originally posted by senresk View Post
              So I'm kinda wondering about astrology (not the Sidereal version, but the stuff practised by mortals and other Exalted). Would that be best represented by Thaumaturgy rituals or just the use of the Occult ability?
              Using astrology to make accurate predictions could be represented well with a thaumaturgical ritual, possibly a modified version of "Reading the Tea Leaves." That's not to say that there's absolutely no applications of astrology that can be done with just an Occult roll.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Beast of Bitter Oblivion View Post

As kind of a follow up to this question. Since emerald banishment no longer exists does this mean that heptagram no longer teaches demon summoning to its students? Since previously it was explicitly only taught after you mastered banishment.
                The Heptagram still teaches demon summoning.

Can anyone still banish demons outside of using lengthy sorcerous workings ? And is this viable as a higher tier custom spell ? Banishing terrestrial demons as celestial spell and banishing 2nd circles as solar custom spells.
                It's not something we're going to do as a spell.

And what’s the logic behind removing it in the first place ? As having demons around doing stuff instead of players hurts the game more than being able to get rid of them having achieved a certain level of sorcerous mastery. I just find it counter intuitive being told straight up NO to being a solar exorcist . It just seems bizarre.
                Emerald/Sapphire/Adamant Banishment let one character single-handedly nullify a combat encounter with demons in past editions, which was an unsatisfying experience in play. There are still various Occult Charms and thaumaturgical rituals that an exorcist will find availing; you're just not going to find a "set demons to no" effect.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

If you become a Chimera, does your Tell change? (Assuming it was something related to your animal form previously.)
                  No, although if you want to change it, ask your Storyteller.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Burning Exorcism Technique lets you banish (or attempt to) spiritual malaises.

What does this mean? Is it simply magical diseases that affect your mind rather than body, like Cracked Mirror Blight, etc? Or would it apply to anything else?

If my friend has been cursed with madness (ie a derangement of some kind) by a spirit (they're not possessed, just cursed), would either Burning Exorcism, Soul Projection or Immortal Soul Vigil help?

What if they were cursed with madness, but not by a spirit? (Say, by a sorcerer or an Exalt or the botch of a sorcerous working.)
                    It's definitely not something that's clearly defined. Based on the reference to rolling against the "virulence" of a supernatural malaise in Soul Projection Method, I believe it's meant specifically as a synonym for supernatural diseases that's similar enough in nature or effect to possession that Burning Exorcism Technique makes sense as a cure for it.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• As always, thanks for the answers guys.

My characters:
                      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
                      Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

• If I make an Exigent, could I make it that they resonate with some unconventional material (such as the Black Lead from earlier editions)? If I do so, would Solars also have automatic resonance with the material, by their virtue as Masters of Evocations? Also, how would Alchemicals are likely to react to such strange substances?

EDIT- nevermind, found the answer for most of my question.
                        Last edited by LostLight; 06-17-2019, 06:28 PM.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• So the Shellback Lizard (Anklyosaurs) doesn't have Heaven Thunder Hammer like the non-Legendary Size Pestletail.

Do you feel that the Pestletail's special attack should be treated as a Magical Attack that only Pestletail familiars should be able to learn?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Is there a way to eyeball the scale/magnitude of a Manse's powers or potential at least until we get a dedicated book? Or, if anything, one you'd recommend for us to use in the meantime, maybe examples to riff from? The bit of fluff on the Four Winds Throne implies that the war manse (along with legions) has been enough to deter attacks for over seven hundred years, which implies some serious firepower, hence the doubt.

Comment

• A couple of questions about the Tyrant Lizard’s Terrifying Dragon Roar Latent Ability:

1. If you manage to crash a foe with it, do you get the initiative break after you Reset (and keep the +5 Init) or do you get it before you Reset (and thus do not benefit from it)?

2. Can you combine Terrifying Dragon Roar with the Predator’s Menace Latent ability to strip 2 initiative per point that you beat a foe’s resolve?

Many thanks!

Comment

• Was the death of the pre-Hearteater Exalteds' Incarna the cause or the result of what made them Hearteaters? Or was there no direct causal relationship, just both of them a result of the war, and probably making easier the whichever came second?

Comment

Working...
                                X