Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of grapple related questions, if I may?

1. Various Grapple Related Charms refer to being able to throw foes out to Short range or further.

Can the “short range” referred to here be straight up? And if so, when you throw them do they take falling damage on top of your decisive/withering damage?

2. If you have wings and you drag/restrain a foe into the air (or do it without restraining on account of the constrictor mutation), say you are two ranges up in the sky (so medium range from the ground) When you decide to Throw/Slam your foe, do they take falling damage in addition to the Throw/slam damage?
    Last edited by prototype00; 06-25-2019, 04:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by prototype00 View Post
      A couple of grapple related questions, if I may?

1. Various Grapple Related Charms refer to being able to throw foes out to Short range or further.

Can the “short range” referred to here be straight up?
      No.

2. If you have wings and you drag/restrain a foe into the air (or do it without restraining on account of the constrictor mutation), say you are two ranges up in the sky (so medium range from the ground) When you decide to Throw/Slam your foe, do they take falling damage in addition to the Throw/slam damage?
      If they end up falling to the ground, yeah. Depending on the environment, the Storyteller may allow them a roll to, e.g., grab onto a cliffside before they go splat.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadowstripe View Post
        Now to be clear... I see this playing out one of two ways. the Full Moon Lunar rolls their normal Join Battle pool with (highest physical Attribute) non-Charm dice as a bonus... or the Lunar only rolls the (highest physical Attribute) non-Charm dice and applies that result as if it were the Join Battle pool (rather than their normal Join Battle pool). I do wish to know which the Devs/Writers actually intend to be the correct interpretation of how this power is supposed to function.

Given the cost involved, I am inclined to side with the normal role plus bonus dice, but if I have learned anything with Exalted, it is that quite often, the way something is written is deliberate, and unless something is specifically stated in the description as being a bonus, then it is more often intended to be a specific pool on its own. Hopefully, if this hasn't been brought up before, it can be made more clear before the final draft of LFATG is sent for printing (so as to avoid future confusion on this issue... minor as it may be).
        You roll (Wits + Awareness) - or, if you have something that lets you Join Battle with an alternate pool, that alternate pool - plus (highest of Stamina, Strength, or Dexterity) non-Charm dice.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post

If they end up falling to the ground, yeah. Depending on the environment, the Storyteller may allow them a roll to, e.g., grab onto a cliffside before they go splat.
          Ah, thank you for the clarification. I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that even if they catch themselves to avoid the falling damage, they will still take the throw/slam damage?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            You roll (Wits + Awareness) - or, if you have something that lets you Join Battle with an alternate pool, that alternate pool - plus (highest of Stamina, Strength, or Dexterity) non-Charm dice.

That is what I was going to assume, given the cost... just that the wording in the manuscript does lean towards the other interpretation. Thank you for clearing up what was intended. Hopefully this will be made more clear when the final PDF is released to prevent such confusion.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
            I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

• Under what circumstances is it appropriate for an Evocation to grant a non-Charm bonus?

EDIT: Or indeed any Charm-like ability, for that matter.
              Last edited by Grelkis; 06-25-2019, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grelkis View Post
                Under what circumstances is it appropriate for an Evocation to grant a non-Charm bonus?

EDIT: Or indeed any Charm-like ability, for that matter.
                That's a very broad question, and it's difficult to give an answer beyond "when the balance considerations of said Evocation makes an effect of that strength appropriate" without going into more depth than I want to go into in just a forum post.

I will be going into that level of depth in Exigents' Charm design guide (which will also be applicable to Evocations in almost all respects).

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Just wanted to thank y’all again for the wonderful job you did on Arms of the Chosen.

Now that Netflix has Neon Genesis Evangelion again, how much playtesting went into Karvara and its Evocations?

Comment

• I have a question about the Athletics Charm, Winning Stride Discipline. It says:
                    "In a test of speed, each interval in which the Solar accrues more successes than her fastest opponent garners a spirit-restoring surge: two motes to be used on Athletics Charms on her next turn, or two Initiative"

So this Charm permanently enhances Lightning Speed, which works for both Rush actions and tests of speed. Though Winning Stride says 'in a test of speed', can this charm's bonus motes/initiative be gained when a Solar successfully makes a combat Rush as well, or was it not meant to be used like that? Does the 2 Initiative gained follow the same rules as the motes (spend on an Athletics Charm next turn)?

Comment

• Is development of the line a mostly linear process, or do you ever find yourselves needing to "jump forward", so to speak, and develop a piece of mechanics or lore in detail that will only show up in a much later book?

Comment

• More of a publishing question but in case you know - when the Hundred Devils / Adversaries books come out, will people who bought the individual pdfs have some sort of benefit / discount on the compiled pdfs?

Comment

• Can households of any given house be found in any given Prefecture and Dominion? I am trying to figure out how unusual it would be for a Tepet and a Sesus household to be Arjuuf but I couldn't find anything that dealt with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epitome View Post
                            More of a publishing question but in case you know - when the Hundred Devils / Adversaries books come out, will people who bought the individual pdfs have some sort of benefit / discount on the compiled pdfs?
                            That's outside our wheelhouse; sorry.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu View Post
                              Can households of any given house be found in any given Prefecture and Dominion? I am trying to figure out how unusual it would be for a Tepet and a Sesus household to be Arjuuf but I couldn't find anything that dealt with it.
                              It varies from prefecture to prefecture, but it's unusual for literally every single Dynastic household in any sizable prefecture to belong to the same Great House. A Great House's ancestral home typically leans heavily toward that house, such as Chanos Prefecture's Dynastic residents being mostly Sesuses, but even there you'll find exceptions for various reasons. And Arjuf Dominion is so large and rich and ancient and well-traveled that you'll find households from a variety of houses there; some are specifically called out in the Arjuf write-up in The Realm.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by memeala View Post
                                Is development of the line a mostly linear process, or do you ever find yourselves needing to "jump forward", so to speak, and develop a piece of mechanics or lore in detail that will only show up in a much later book?
                                It's mostly a linear process. While the dev team does discuss future books among ourselves, we don't have time and opportunity to actively develop material for books that won't come out until later in the development cycle (and which may indeed never be approved by Onyx Path and White Wolf). And we certainly can't pay writers to create material for books which aren't far enough along for us to prepare their contracts!

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

Working...
                                X