Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask the Devs v2

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [QUOTE=Fiikragg;n1326100]
    Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    It can apply Subtlety to the mutations from Hybrid Body Technique, which means they'd only become apparent when you're actively benefiting from them.

    Wait does that mean a bear based hybrid covered in fur with subtley, Would have fur outside in the cold but fade from view when inside/somewhere warm?
    The primary benefit of having fur/feathers/scales/whatever from Unusual Hide is a soak bonus, so it'd be evident when you're getting hit with attacks, but if the Storyteller deems that being covered in fur is useful for weathering the cold (which makes sense), it might pop out there.


    Developer for Exalted

    Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

    Robert Vance's Patreon

    Comment


    • Can you make unarmed attacks (ie light weapon attacks, with +7 damage) in animal form? Or do you have to use the damage of the animal, even if your damage is better?

      I think you may have answered this question before, but I can't find it anywhere.


      My characters:
      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
      Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
        Can you make unarmed attacks (ie light weapon attacks, with +7 damage) in animal form? Or do you have to use the damage of the animal, even if your damage is better?

        I think you may have answered this question before, but I can't find it anywhere.
        Your question was answered (I think) in the previous Ask the Devs Thread here:

        Vance, thanks for the help but still a bit confused. Just would like to confirm one thing:

        - When Shapeshifted into an animal, does a Lunar HAVE to use the listed attacks in the animal’s stat line, or can you use an Unarmed Strike, using the Unarmed stats listed in the core rulebook, and determined in the usual fashion:

        - To hit (Dex + Brawl)
        - Damage (Str + 7)

        ?
        You don't have the option of standard unarmed attacks.
        If it is for Wood Dragon's Claw, it's here:

        http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...02#post1323202
        Last edited by prototype00; 07-20-2019, 07:08 AM.

        Comment


        • So, more a setting question than what has preceded...

          Reading this r/askshistorians post about the role of palace eunuchs as liminal beings mediating relations between "divine" royalty and human nobility in both Byzantium and China, rather than simply as enforced-celibate harem guards[1,2], has got me wondering about the personal and household servants of the Dragon Caste of Prasad, who hold a divine status not shared by their orthodox dynastic cousins, and according to the Realm do not practice slavery. I doubt they're actually eunuchs, but I'm sure there's something interesting going on there involving their social role and interaction with the Sage Caste. Perhaps something as simple as transgressing caste divisions, as Corporals[3] wielding a great degree of access and potential influence.

          [1] Some societies that used palace eunuchs didn't have a harem system at all, such as the Eastern Roman Empire.
          [2] It does strike me that given the nature of progenitive essence it makes a grim degree of sense for dynasts of both sexes to use slave eunuchs as concubines *shudder*
          [3] I really feel there should be a fourth varna for the great mass of peasant farmers, urban labourers, etc; defining their work as "unclean" seems very strange, and denies the Corporal caste the general outsider status their overall description implies.

          Comment


          • So just to check, Vance; although a Lunar can use your own dice pools of Attribute+Ability to attack with, you can't use your own Str+7 for the damage if it's better than the animal's?

            (One of our players thinks you can, as you can use the better pool, whereas another thought you couldn't, as you can't make unarmed attacks.)
            Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 07-20-2019, 03:04 PM.


            My characters:
            Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
            Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

            Comment


            • Does the attack range extension effect of Embrace the Violent Flow apply to attack Charms like Currents Sweep Out to Sea and Fist-Spinning Maelstrom?


              Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

              My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

              Comment


              • There are lots of sorcerers in the Realm, and of course the Empress herself was probably one of, if not the, greatest sorcerers, but was there ever, officially or unofficially, something like a "Court Wizard"?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Anaximander View Post
                  There are lots of sorcerers in the Realm, and of course the Empress herself was probably one of, if not the, greatest sorcerers, but was there ever, officially or unofficially, something like a "Court Wizard"?
                  I don't think there's really the right political structures in place to get things like Skyrim-style court wizards. A Great House matriarch is going to be making tactical use of house members who are sorcerers, and there are societies like the Sorcerers of the Scarlet Throne, which may be the nearest equivalent, but that's still not the same thing.


                  Developer for Exalted

                  Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                  Robert Vance's Patreon

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                    Does the attack range extension effect of Embrace the Violent Flow apply to attack Charms like Currents Sweep Out to Sea and Fist-Spinning Maelstrom?
                    So, there's basically two ways an effect can increase your range. It can just set your attack's range to a certain value, like how Embracing the Violent Blow says "your Brawl attacks are short range now," or it can add a certain number of range bands to the range of your attack.

                    If you've got two things that both set the range of your attacks to a certain value, like Embracing the Violent Flow and Currents Sweep to Sea, they don't stack, you just use the better of the two values.


                    Developer for Exalted

                    Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                    Robert Vance's Patreon

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      So just to check, Vance; although a Lunar can use your own dice pools of Attribute+Ability to attack with, you can't use your own Str+7 for the damage if it's better than the animal's?
                      Right. 10char


                      Developer for Exalted

                      Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                      Robert Vance's Patreon

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                        So, there's basically two ways an effect can increase your range. It can just set your attack's range to a certain value, like how Embracing the Violent Blow says "your Brawl attacks are short range now," or it can add a certain number of range bands to the range of your attack.

                        If you've got two things that both set the range of your attacks to a certain value, like Embracing the Violent Flow and Currents Sweep to Sea, they don't stack, you just use the better of the two values.
                        I figured that was the case.

                        But to be clear, does EtVF extend the range of Fist-Spinning Maelstrom, which mentions attacking people at close range?


                        Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

                        My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                          I figured that was the case.

                          But to be clear, does EtVF extend the range of Fist-Spinning Maelstrom, which mentions attacking people at close range?
                          Yeah. 10char


                          Developer for Exalted

                          Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                          Robert Vance's Patreon

                          Comment


                          • Can Swift-Striking Tide be used to make a grapple gambit? I'm never sure whether decisive attacks are always to be treated as distinct from gambits.


                            Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

                            My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                              Can Swift-Striking Tide be used to make a grapple gambit? I'm never sure whether decisive attacks are always to be treated as distinct from gambits.
                              No. When an effect creates a decisive attack, it means one to roll damage, unless it says otherwise.


                              Developer for Exalted

                              Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                              Robert Vance's Patreon

                              Comment


                              • So can Solars tame a Wield behemoth, like an Islandsized Beaver, and make it a Familiar or Train it to awaken powers? Maybe even Combo Lore and Survival?

                                Can you use Lore Training on Familiars, since you can train the brain damaged to read or ride again, can't you use them to train Bears how to read?


                                It is a time for great deeds!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X