This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    I screwed that up; it should be something like (Integrity + 5). Something to tweak for the final compilation.
    On that general subject: are you planning to make many tweaks to the stuff in Hundred Devils and Adversaries? While the stuff released is good, there seems to me to be a few powers that are a bit broken (I don't mean Makarios, I mean generally), which I don't find in the actual books you've released.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

On that general subject: are you planning to make many tweaks to the stuff in Hundred Devils and Adversaries? While the stuff released is good, there seems to me to be a few powers that are a bit broken (I don't mean Makarios, I mean generally), which I don't find in the actual books you've released.
      That's ultimately Meghan's call as the dev on that book, but I've definitely got input on some of the entries I wrote.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

I assume you're referring to a scenario along the lines of

-Doug Dodge starts his turn at close range to Athletics Allison. He makes and wins a disengage roll, and moves out to short range.

-On Athletics Allison's turn, she uses her move action to advance towards Doug - but because Doug succeeded on his disengage, he gets to move another range band back from her, maintaining short range.

-Athletics Allison wants to use Thunderbolt Attack Prana to smack Doug in the face.

Unfortunately, Allison cannot do that, because moving in on someone with Thunderbolt Attack Prana counts as your move action, and she's already used hers for the round.

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Not exactly the scenario I had in mind.

Here goes:

-Doug Dodge starts his turn at close range to Athletics Allison. He makes and wins a disengage roll, and moves out to short range.

-On Athletics Allison's turn, she uses her action to make a decisive attack against Doug, supplementing it with thunderbolt attack prana. This enables her to jump to close range with Doug to attack him.

What happens in this case?

Comment

Marking Exalted with an efficacious sigil may be something the Storyteller deems within Makarios' capabilities, but it's going to take more than just "some random occultist branded you with one, tough luck."
          Seems to me that if some random occultist (who also apparently has to be among the best occultists in the world) managed that against a non-cooperative Exalt, they've kind of earned it, no? I mean, you say that as though such a branding would be easy.

A dose of Yozi venom can result in actual death, and some random poisoner is still allowed to attempt to apply that, aren't they?

Is not the point of Destiny-Manifesting Method and its similar magics to say that there are no "tough luck" effects, to thus also provide the latitude to devise interesting curses and the like that aren't simply dodged with blanket immunities?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Can you use Become the Wave and Swift-Striking Tide in response to the same Distraction gambit?

If you did, would both count as the same "instant" for the purposes of achieving another level of anima banner? Or are they treated as two separate reflexive actions, and thus separate instances?

If you needed to disengage to use Become the Wave, and spent motes on Threshold-Warding Stance, would those two expenses be happening in the same instant?

Would motes spent on a grappling gambit, a control roll, and a savaging/throwing attack all count as the same instant, or separate instances?

If you spend your turn on a Simple-type Charm that isn't an attack, do you still have "your attack for the turn" for effects that spend such a thing?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Are Panoply Charms still a thing, or are they Replaced by Gods instead knowing Evocations? Or can Spirits not learn Evocations because of Panoply Charms?

If I were to design NPCs without the QC rules would it be out of line to have Attributes for beings like spirits go past 5 but keep Skills hardcapped at 5 as a universal rule?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

• Quick question about poisons:

What do poisons that deal initiative damage do when outside of combat? Do they deal damage directly to the Health Track as if the victim was crashed? Or do they trigger an initiative roll first and begin subtracting from the result?

Comment

• Originally posted by Embustero View Post
                  Quick question about poisons:

What do poisons that deal initiative damage do when outside of combat? Do they deal damage directly to the Health Track as if the victim was crashed? Or do they trigger an initiative roll first and begin subtracting from the result?
                  The latter.
                  Originally posted by What Fire Has Wrought p.306
                  Poison Outside of Combat

If a character is exposed to poison that deals Initiative damage outside of combat, the Storyteller should call for him to make a Join Battle roll. This doesn’t represent him suddenly becoming aware of hidden poisoners, but supplies him with a buffer of Initiative for the poison’s damage to wear down before he’s crashed and begins suffering decisive damage from it. If combat begins, perhaps as a result of the victim or his allies finding the hidden assassin, he carries over the result of his initial roll rather than making another Join Battle roll.

Comment

Don't see any problem with that.
                    For clarity:

You don't see any problem with one duelist allowing the other duelist to leave close range without a disengage action?

Or you don't see any problem with one duelist spending their turn attempting and failing a Disengage action, and only then letting the other duelist allow them to leave close range with a reflexive Move action, despite the disengage action counting as their movement action for the turn?

(I'm not best pleased by the ambiguity of a movement action being called "the move action".)

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Vivacious Dragon Beauty has the Aura keyword, so it can only be activated in Aura, but it has a duration of One Scene. So, if a DB does a bit of dancing, adds a die or two to go into Wood Aura then activates VDB to gain +1 Appearance, will that appearance bonus last for the rest of the scene, even if the DB switches Auras?

For example, after activating VDB, the DB uses Loyalty-Reading Meditation to find a susceptible person (and go into Fire Aura) and then targets them with a combo of Warm-faced Seduction Style and Hot-Blooded Ardor, expending the Fire Aura to boost HBA with the repurchase effect. Would that roll benefit from the +1 Appearance from VDB?

Comment

• In order to use the Stormblast Barrage of a lightning ballista, do both the crew and the artillerist have to take aim actions?

Comment

• So I have already asked this question to people of the forum but not here, and their response satisfied me until one day I realised I feel it was not consistent with other Charms effects or magical effects in the game.

What should be the effect of a threatening action in a standard situation, ie the threatening character did something cool (anima burning, maybe broke 1 level of size of a battle group but they reformed, etc ...) without any Charm power and the battle group threatened by the character doesn't have "special" anti fear power or Defining intimacies of "I shall die in battle"? Because I swear every campaign someone tries to do that and I have no clue how to deal with as a ST.

Comment

• Edit: Wrong thread
                            Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 09-01-2019, 02:03 PM.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                              What should be the effect of a threatening action in a standard situation, ie the threatening character did something cool (anima burning, maybe broke 1 level of size of a battle group but they reformed, etc ...) without any Charm power and the battle group threatened by the character doesn't have "special" anti fear power or Defining intimacies of "I shall die in battle"?
                              Well, bear in mind that a threaten action either acts like a bargain action (meaning you have to suggest some course of action to the opponents that's proportionate to your threat), or it acts like an instill (creating or strengthening an intimacy of fear). If the player is doing the first one, I think it's reasonable to just treat the battlegroup as one person for purposes of what they do, but also remember that they'll judge the severity of the threat based on the whole group, not necessarily any single person. So if the threatener has demonstrated the ability to kill one member of the battlegroup at a time, but not some kind of mass destruction power that can take out whole swathes at once, the threat would probably be limited to causing the battlegroup to undertake a serious task, but not a life-threatening task. A serious task would be enough to cause most battlegroups to retreat, perhaps, but not if they're in an army where they'd be punished with death for desertion, or if they were in a situation where retreat was equivalent to death anyway. Also note that most battlegroups that have been trained to work together (that is, have better than Poor Drill) will have an intimacy towards their fellow soldiers, which will strengthen their Resolve when commanded to retreat.

If the threatening character is trying to instill an intimacy, just handle it like a normal attempt to instill an intimacy in a group. Success would have no immediate effect, but I would allow appropriate Intimacies to add or subtract their usual modifiers to the Rout roll. So if you successfully instill a minor Intimacy of fear towards yourself in a battlegroup, that would be a -1 to their next Rout roll that was provoked by your actions.

Also don't forget the -3 penalty that applies to social influence against groups. That penalty will apply to all sorts of threaten actions, unless the PC has a charm to overcome it.

Comment

• Can battlegroups be Crashed (if you have an effect which lowers their Initative instead of dealing Magnitute damage)?

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Working...
                                X