This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

Well, bear in mind that a threaten action either acts like a bargain action (meaning you have to suggest some course of action to the opponents that's proportionate to your threat), or it acts like an instill (creating or strengthening an intimacy of fear). If the player is doing the first one, I think it's reasonable to just treat the battlegroup as one person for purposes of what they do, but also remember that they'll judge the severity of the threat based on the whole group, not necessarily any single person. So if the threatener has demonstrated the ability to kill one member of the battlegroup at a time, but not some kind of mass destruction power that can take out whole swathes at once, the threat would probably be limited to causing the battlegroup to undertake a serious task, but not a life-threatening task. A serious task would be enough to cause most battlegroups to retreat, perhaps, but not if they're in an army where they'd be punished with death for desertion, or if they were in a situation where retreat was equivalent to death anyway. Also note that most battlegroups that have been trained to work together (that is, have better than Poor Drill) will have an intimacy towards their fellow soldiers, which will strengthen their Resolve when commanded to retreat.

If the threatening character is trying to instill an intimacy, just handle it like a normal attempt to instill an intimacy in a group. Success would have no immediate effect, but I would allow appropriate Intimacies to add or subtract their usual modifiers to the Rout roll. So if you successfully instill a minor Intimacy of fear towards yourself in a battlegroup, that would be a -1 to their next Rout roll that was provoked by your actions.

Also don't forget the -3 penalty that applies to social influence against groups. That penalty will apply to all sorts of threaten actions, unless the PC has a charm to overcome it.
    Sorry for making you double post because you were precisely the person who gave me an answer that "satisfied me until one day I realized I feel like it was not consistent" I don't know where but I'm pretty sure I saw a Charm or magical effect that described having the same effects than what you are describing, that is give ennemies a malus based on an intimacy, and from now on I feel like there is something strange about this way of functionning (for example, I'm not giving 3 bonus dices to the battle group because they have a Worship (Commandant) intimacy in Major in their rout check, if the commandant wish to interact with his battle group he has to use the mechanics created for interacting with battle groups, not a sort of deviation of the social system applied to the Battle group system).

I truly appreciated your answer, but I wish to know if the developper had an idea in mind about how to deal with it. If not, I'll stick with your advice, that I like for a particular point : It makes ennemies more frightened if you succesfully frighten them before the fight, with a Major intimacy for example.

Comment

• Can battlegroups be Crashed (if you have an effect which lowers their Initative instead of dealing Magnitute damage)?
      I believe every effect that is supposed to act as initiative damage converts to Magnitude damage to battle groups.

Comment

• Robert Vance If three people target you with a Read Intentions at the exact same time, and you wanted to hit all of them with Easily-Discarded Presence Method at the same time, would you need to activate it once, or three times?

Comment

• I apologize in advance for the fiddly math question.

A martial artist using Motion of Myriad Legs divides Initiative evenly between his attacks, rounding up, and must be able to assign 3+ Initiative to each attack. Do you check the "3+ Initiative for each attack" requirement before or after rounding up?

To rephrase more clearly (I hope): if a martial artist wishes to use MoML to make three attacks, can he do so when his current Initiative is 7 or 8 (because he'll have 3 per attack after rounding up)? Or would he need at least 9 Initiative to start with?

Comment

• Can you effectively clash an opponent's attack with Mirror-on-Water Focus by delaying your action until the tick in which the enemy attacks, and then invoking the Simple-type Charm?
            Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 09-02-2019, 12:04 AM.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• If PC Alice tells PC Bob about the existence of NPC Carol and describes her, is that sufficient to go on for Bob to send Carol an Infallible Messenger? If not, would a portrait suffice?

Comment

• So, are the Neverborn explicitly straight up inert nonactors incapable of anything or is it going to be somewhat ambiguous whether or not they're constrained 100% of the time by their condition. Like, is all the weird stuff in the Labyrinth just the metaphysical equivalent of the smell of meat going bad or is it more alien and incomprehensible?

Comment

• Is it possible for a martial artist who is a creature of darkness (such as an Abyssal or Infernal Exalt) to learn Golden Janissary Style?

If such a martial artist uses Lone Spark Lights the Conflagration to hit a nontrivial creature of darkness, does he set himself on fire (along with any other CoDs in medium range)?

Comment

• Originally posted by HamSandLich View Post
                    So, are the Neverborn explicitly straight up inert nonactors incapable of anything or is it going to be somewhat ambiguous whether or not they're constrained 100% of the time by their condition. Like, is all the weird stuff in the Labyrinth just the metaphysical equivalent of the smell of meat going bad or is it more alien and incomprehensible?
                    The Neverborn are not lucid, but I don't think that "inert" is necessarily the right term. They are dead and dreaming, and occasionally lash out in their unending death throes. They may have flashes of awareness, but they aren't alien schemers actively plotting the death of reality.

Whether or not there is still a Labyrinth, and other specifics of how the Underworld works, are things that we're waiting to hammer out when we start development on Abyssals.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                      Are Panoply Charms still a thing, or are they Replaced by Gods instead knowing Evocations? Or can Spirits not learn Evocations because of Panoply Charms?
                      If I recall correctly, Panoply Charms were largely a workaround for designing powerful, unique Spirit Charms without allowing Eclipse Caste Solars to purchase them. In 3e, I think that the Eclipse Keyword and the nonuniversality of Spirit Charms have largely rendered Panoply Charms obsolete.

Spirits can learn Evocations. "Gods, demons, fae, and other un-Exalted beings capable of attuning to artifacts normally don’t harmonize with any of the magical materials. Weaker entities are dissonant, while stronger beings — such as Second Circle Demons, nephwracks, or raksha nobles — have a neutral affinity. Many exceptions to this general rule are found in Creation, and the Storyteller always has final say on what level of power an un-Exalted character can evoke." — Arms of the Chosen, p. 17.

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                      If I were to design NPCs without the QC rules would it be out of line to have Attributes for beings like spirits go past 5 but keep Skills hardcapped at 5 as a universal rule?
                      I don't see Abilities as being more important to cap than Attributes? Mostly, I'd watch to make sure that overly high dice pools (especially attack pools) don't result in unexpectedly dangerous opponents. Specifically, in Adversaries of the Righteous development, Vance has advised making sure that Dexterity and combat Ability ratings don't go above 5.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• If I'm playing a character with a deep enough investment in Socialize Charms as to have different Charms for my personas, can I maintain a commitment to a long-duration Charm after switching personas, or must I suppress it while switching?

​Example: Carter has Bureaucracy Charms including Indolent Official Charm. He suspects someone's going to take a bureaucratic action he's opposed to, so he activates Indolent Official Charm to bog down the efforts. Can he assume his identity as the Knight Raiton afterward without ending his bureaucratic curse?

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                          The Neverborn are not lucid, but I don't think that "inert" is necessarily the right term. They are dead and dreaming, and occasionally lash out in their unending death throes. They may have flashes of awareness, but they aren't alien schemers actively plotting the death of reality.
                          If this is the case, I'm assuming that means the perception of Resonance as a punishment of the Neverborn for "sins of life" and the like is basically completely out? I'd assumed the mechanic would be significantly overhauled, but I'm curious if 3E Abyssals really have any direct concern by default with the Neverborn, or if that's more the realm of the Daybreaks and Midnights while a Dusk might deal more directly with their Deathlord.

Comment

• When you use Changing Plumage Mastery, can you use its effects without any of the effects from Many Faced Moon Transformation? For example, changing your clothes or scent without any of the changes from MFMT? Of course, still paying the full cost of the basic charm

Comment

• Maybe that point has already been cleared but :

I am in need of clarification about Dragon-Blooded excellencies applied to static values, more precisely the limit of bonus dice.

P162 of What Fire Has Wrought the text says that the limit is Ability+Specialty /2 rounded down. Which is coherent with 2 dice for 1 success or 2 dice for 1 parry. And it's the same rules for solar (the rounded down part).
                              But I also got a booklet with the screen where the text says rounded up. Also the exemple is with Melee 4 and says you can go up to +2 parry, or +3 with a specialty. Meaning it's rounded up ?

So which is it ?

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Crop Weaver View Post
                                Maybe that point has already been cleared but :

I am in need of clarification about Dragon-Blooded excellencies applied to static values, more precisely the limit of bonus dice.

P162 of What Fire Has Wrought the text says that the limit is Ability+Specialty /2 rounded down. Which is coherent with 2 dice for 1 success or 2 dice for 1 parry. And it's the same rules for solar (the rounded down part).
                                But I also got a booklet with the screen where the text says rounded up. Also the exemple is with Melee 4 and says you can go up to +2 parry, or +3 with a specialty. Meaning it's rounded up ?

So which is it ?

Thanks
                                It's rounded down. Anything to the contrary is incorrect.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X