This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Clophiroth View Post
    When you use Changing Plumage Mastery, can you use its effects without any of the effects from Many Faced Moon Transformation? For example, changing your clothes or scent without any of the changes from MFMT? Of course, still paying the full cost of the basic charm
    Yes. Changing Plumage Mastery is a self-contained, independent Charm, not an upgrade to Many-Faced Moon Transformation.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by OpMegs View Post
      If this is the case, I'm assuming that means the perception of Resonance as a punishment of the Neverborn for "sins of life" and the like is basically completely out?
      "Resonance" is being conceptually replaced by the Great Curse, which the Abyssals still suffer from in Ex3. The ways in which it manifests will still be similar to 1E's Resonance, but it's not direct and conscious punishment from the Neverborn.

I'd assumed the mechanic would be significantly overhauled, but I'm curious if 3E Abyssals really have any direct concern by default with the Neverborn, or if that's more the realm of the Daybreaks and Midnights while a Dusk might deal more directly with their Deathlord.
      Any Abyssal could choose to make the Neverborn their concern, but it's not something all of them do by default.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
        If I'm playing a character with a deep enough investment in Socialize Charms as to have different Charms for my personas, can I maintain a commitment to a long-duration Charm after switching personas, or must I suppress it while switching?

​Example: Carter has Bureaucracy Charms including Indolent Official Charm. He suspects someone's going to take a bureaucratic action he's opposed to, so he activates Indolent Official Charm to bog down the efforts. Can he assume his identity as the Knight Raiton afterward without ending his bureaucratic curse?
        As long as both personas have access to the Charm in question.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
          Is it possible for a martial artist who is a creature of darkness (such as an Abyssal or Infernal Exalt) to learn Golden Janissary Style?
          Yes.

If such a martial artist uses Lone Spark Lights the Conflagration to hit a nontrivial creature of darkness, does he set himself on fire (along with any other CoDs in medium range)?
          Yes.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

If PC Alice tells PC Bob about the existence of NPC Carol and describes her, is that sufficient to go on for Bob to send Carol an Infallible Messenger? If not, would a portrait suffice?
            The specifics are up to the Storyteller. I think a detailed, factual, and accurate description should be enough.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
              Can you effectively clash an opponent's attack with Mirror-on-Water Focus by delaying your action until the tick in which the enemy attacks, and then invoking the Simple-type Charm?
              You can delay your action and activate Mirror-on-Water Focus, although it would remain a counterattack with special rules rather than a clash.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                I apologize in advance for the fiddly math question.

A martial artist using Motion of Myriad Legs divides Initiative evenly between his attacks, rounding up, and must be able to assign 3+ Initiative to each attack. Do you check the "3+ Initiative for each attack" requirement before or after rounding up?

To rephrase more clearly (I hope): if a martial artist wishes to use MoML to make three attacks, can he do so when his current Initiative is 7 or 8 (because he'll have 3 per attack after rounding up)? Or would he need at least 9 Initiative to start with?
                After rounding.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Robert Vance If three people target you with a Read Intentions at the exact same time, and you wanted to hit all of them with Easily-Discarded Presence Method at the same time, would you need to activate it once, or three times?
                  You'd have to use it once per person reading your intentions.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                    Can battlegroups be Crashed (if you have an effect which lowers their Initative instead of dealing Magnitute damage)?
                    There's one reference to battle groups being able to spend Initiative, in the engage gambit, so if the Storyteller thinks it makes more sense for an Initiative-lowering effect to reduce their Initiative rather than applying Magnitude damage that's not an unprecedented thing, but it is kind of a headache.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                      So I have already asked this question to people of the forum but not here, and their response satisfied me until one day I realised I feel it was not consistent with other Charms effects or magical effects in the game.

What should be the effect of a threatening action in a standard situation, ie the threatening character did something cool (anima burning, maybe broke 1 level of size of a battle group but they reformed, etc ...) without any Charm power and the battle group threatened by the character doesn't have "special" anti fear power or Defining intimacies of "I shall die in battle"? Because I swear every campaign someone tries to do that and I have no clue how to deal with as a ST.
                      I'm assuming that by "threatening action" you mean "doing something that's scary" rather than "making the type of social influence roll that is called specifically called 'threaten.'"

If a player wants to spend their whole turn Doing Something Scary to demoralize a battle group, you should probably just call for a social-influence-roll-specifically-called-threaten for them, and treat whatever scary stuff they did as a stunt. Otherwise, there's no inherent effect for it, although at the Storyteller's discretion it may raise the difficulty of the battle group's rout checks.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                        Vivacious Dragon Beauty has the Aura keyword, so it can only be activated in Aura, but it has a duration of One Scene. So, if a DB does a bit of dancing, adds a die or two to go into Wood Aura then activates VDB to gain +1 Appearance, will that appearance bonus last for the rest of the scene, even if the DB switches Auras?
                        Correct. Charms that end when you leave the appropriate Aura will have their duration listed as "Aura."

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Electro View Post
                          In order to use the Stormblast Barrage of a lightning ballista, do both the crew and the artillerist have to take aim actions?
                          When a siege engine's artillerist aims, reloads, or attacks, that uses up the crew's whole action for the round.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

For clarity:

You don't see any problem with one duelist allowing the other duelist to leave close range without a disengage action?

Or you don't see any problem with one duelist spending their turn attempting and failing a Disengage action, and only then letting the other duelist allow them to leave close range with a reflexive Move action, despite the disengage action counting as their movement action for the turn?
                            I don't see a problem with either, although in my game I'd probably ask that players stick to doing it before making rolls to keep things moving on along quickly.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Volivat View Post

Not exactly the scenario I had in mind.

Here goes:

-Doug Dodge starts his turn at close range to Athletics Allison. He makes and wins a disengage roll, and moves out to short range.

-On Athletics Allison's turn, she uses her action to make a decisive attack against Doug, supplementing it with thunderbolt attack prana. This enables her to jump to close range with Doug to attack him.

What happens in this case?

Doug gets his reflexive move and ends up outside of Allison's range.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Can you use Become the Wave and Swift-Striking Tide in response to the same Distraction gambit?
                                Yes.

If you did, would both count as the same "instant" for the purposes of achieving another level of anima banner? Or are they treated as two separate reflexive actions, and thus separate instances?
                                Same instant, as they both trigger off the same thing.

If you needed to disengage to use Become the Wave, and spent motes on Threshold-Warding Stance, would those two expenses be happening in the same instant?
                                Yeah.

Would motes spent on a grappling gambit, a control roll, and a savaging/throwing attack all count as the same instant, or separate instances?
                                If they're such that you declare them all at the same time, same instant. If you declare some at different times, different instants.

If you spend your turn on a Simple-type Charm that isn't an attack, do you still have "your attack for the turn" for effects that spend such a thing?
                                You can't use a Simple-type power up Charm and then attack on the same turn. If you have a Charm that lets you reflexively attack but uses up your attack for the round, then you could use the Simple-type power up and then use the Reflexive attack.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X