This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by prototype00 View Post
    With regards to Amatha Kinslayer’s Exalted Dragonblood daughter, is she a member of House Peleps (not matrilineal) or House Cynis (matrilineal)?
    Cynis. Amatha was a mortal Dynast, but a Dynast nonetheless; her husband joined her household, and their child took her family name.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post

Can we correctly interpret this response to mean that both books have already been pitched so it's just a question of response order?
      Yes, that's correct.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
        ​Chapter 9: The Northwest
        Gonna save mystery Antarctic island for last, eh?

I'd like to repeat this query.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
        When thinking about the mortal contingent of the Scarlet Dynasty, about how big do you think people should be going for? Are mortals ultimately a minority there, or is them being paired off together and having more children in a shorter period of time a basis for their numbers growing rapidly?

I suppose it depends a bit on how long Dynast status might persist through a bloodline that is no longer producing Exalted, so I'd also wonder what the process for rescinding it is. That something like eventually only marrying them off to patricians, or there's a point at which your mortal great-grandaughter is informed that any of her children who don't Exalt by the time they graduate will not be added to the family register (in which case I presume they automatically drop to patrician status)?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
          Yes, that's correct.
          You've made me a very happy abomination.

Incidentally, is there anything on you or Vance want for Christmas that an anonymous generous-feeling monster might be able to provide over the Internet?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
            You've made me a very happy abomination.

Incidentally, is there anything on you or Vance want for Christmas that an anonymous generous-feeling monster might be able to provide over the Internet?
            I'd appreciate donations to the Southern Poverty Law Center, or similar groups.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
              The rules for combining different Martial Arts styles seem simple enough at a glance: you can only combine the Charms in an attack if your weapon of choice is compatible with all the styles involved.

What about Charms that don't involve attacking or otherwise using a weapon, though? Can you activate Celestial Tiger Hide and keep it going while you attack with a sword? Can you use Serpentine Evasion to dodge while you've got a firewand in your hands? Do you still get the soak benefits of Earth Dragon Form (though obviously not the dice bonus on attacks) if you're swinging a scythe around?

The impression I get from corebook p. 426 is that style weapons only limit the enhancement of attacks and Parry, but I thought I should double-check that this is the intent.
              Your impression is correct.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
                WFHW questions:

One-With-Earth Embodiment: can you use it to move into an earthen structure within close range that inaccessible to your opponent, then move out to short range on your next turn without disengaging? Eg. you're fighting someone in a room with stone walls, use OWEE to move into the wall (you're moving away but staying within close range, so disengaging is not required), then walk out on the other side of the wall next turn (disengaging is not required as your opponent is unable to meaningfully oppose it).
                They still get to oppose your disengage roll, although the Storyteller may want a good stunt to explain how they do that.

Flow With Strife: using it to negate damage completely counts as dodging the attack - does this mean the attacker loses Initiative as if they missed instead of resetting to base?
                No. It only counts as a successful dodge for you.

Eternal Death-Banishing Blossom: this Charm deals (Init/2) damage in an AoE, but it doesn't involve making an attack action and the text doesn't say you reset to base after using it. Is this intentional, or was it meant to reset the user to base Initiative?
                It's not a decisive attack and doesn't reset your Initiative.

Decisive damage reducers such as Earth Bears Witness and Ripples-on-Water Defense: when is the user supposed to announce them? The Aura benefit of Impervious Skin of Stone allows it to be used after being hit by an attack but before damage is rolled, implying the default behavior is "announced after being targeted by an attack". However, Bottomless Depths Defense explicitly calls out that it must be declared before the attack is rolled, implying that this is not the intended default behavior with abilities that negate decisive damage.
                Before the attack roll unless otherwise specified.

Related: if a character uses, say, Earth Bears Witness to reduce a decisive attack's raw damage below her Hardness, is she allowed to decline applying Defense against the attack, ensuring that she is hit and forcing her opponent to reset to base?
                Nah.

Semi-related: can the Invulnerable Skin of Bronze's Invincible God-Metal Flash ability be used in the same instant as a Hardness-granting effect that is otherwise incompatible with armor? IGMF cancels ISoB, therefore causing the sorcerer to become unarmored, but it has to be resolved first, so this shouldn't be legal if all Charms enhancing the same action actually go off at the same time.
                You can't declare something that's incompatible with armor while you're still wearing armor.

Rippling Water Strike: does the water aura effect replace the baseline (damage = [weapon] + [Strength] + [Dexterity]), or is it in addition to it (damage = [weapon] + [higher of Dexterity or Strength] + [Dexterity])?[
                The former.

Flow Reversal Strike: if it incapacitates the opponent, does he still take withering damage, increasing the Immaculate's initiative upon resetting
                Yeah.

If the former, what's the wound penalty of an incapacitated character?
                Call it basically -4.

Finally, is the withering damage (wound penalty) points, or is it that many dice?
                It's straight points, no roll.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Can the Thaumaturgist merit actually allowing you to manipulate essence for the purpose of crafting Artifact?

And I can't find a definition for "mortal" in the Core book's Lexicon, is it pretty much just a synonym for "human"?
                  Last edited by Jen; 12-21-2019, 02:54 AM.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

• For Linguistics charms that lack the Written-only keyword what kind of actions do they enhance? Can they be used in spoken conversation to make social actions or is Linguistics completely incompatiible with the spoken word?

Comment

• Would Phoenix Renewal Tactic allow a Solar to potentially resist being destroyed by an Immaculate's Soul Mastery?

Comment

• If a Realm Dynast made a piece of First Age Artifice (the rules term, not referring to something made in the first age), would it be confiscated by the Empress, or would they keep it?
                        If confiscated, would the Empress try to pay them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                          Would Phoenix Renewal Tactic allow a Solar to potentially resist being destroyed by an Immaculate's Soul Mastery?
                          No. Soul Mastery isn't a shaping effect, and it has a clear means of defense.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by autXautY View Post
                            If a Realm Dynast made a piece of First Age Artifice (the rules term, not referring to something made in the first age), would it be confiscated by the Empress, or would they keep it?
                            If confiscated, would the Empress try to pay them?
                            That's so rare a circumstance that there's not going to be any hard and fast procedure for it.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Nilihum View Post
                              For Linguistics charms that lack the Written-only keyword what kind of actions do they enhance? Can they be used in spoken conversation to make social actions or is Linguistics completely incompatiible with the spoken word?
                              Linguistics normally can't be used for spoken social influence, but Charms like that (e.g. Unbreakable Fascination Method, Twisted Words Technique) allow it.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Jen View Post
                                Can the Thaumaturgist merit actually allowing you to manipulate essence for the purpose of crafting Artifact?
                                No.

And I can't find a definition for "mortal" in the Core book's Lexicon, is it pretty much just a synonym for "human"?
                                "Not an Exalt, spirit, God-Blood, or other supernatural creature."

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X