This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
    Can you activate a simple charm before combat if you have enough warning? Like if somebody is breaking through your fortress gate with a ram, or you have lookouts telling you about an arriving monster, can you activate Snake style just before the battle and have it count?
    Yeah, as long as it's all part of one scene.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
      Does Harmonious Presence Meditation enhance Jubilant Battle Proposition?
      Yes.

Can an improvised weapon sufficiently similar to a Martial Arts form weapon be used as one?
      If the Storyteller thinks so.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• If someone is knocked prone while flying, do they fall to the ground regardless of how many range bands they were up, are just knocked off centre in the air and still take the prone penalty or something else?

Thanks.

Comment

• I've been getting back into the game recently and, me being me, I'm fairly eager to get back into Charm design. One thing I haven't quite understood yet is when should a Charm cost Initiative? I keep trying to come up with some sort of common framework for Initiative-spending Charms but keep finding exceptions to my rules.

For example, I first thought such Charms should only or at least primarily be combat-centric since that's characters don't have initiative otherwise. But things like Eye of Blazing Truth defies that. Text-wise, it seems like it should be functional outside of combat. Sure, it potentially does some damage, but removing low-light penalties and adding non-Charm bonus dice has non-combat utility. And a lot of Stealth and Larceny rolls happen outside of combat, as you're avoiding a pre-fight Ambush or spotting a pickpocket in a crowded market, so it'd be nice to trigger your searing judgment outside of combat. Unfortunately, if I'm reading it correctly, with the 2i cost, it can't be activated until a Join Battle roll has been made. Is this accurate?

EDIT: After I made this post, I had the relevant sidebar (Core, pg. 351 for anyone else confused on this) pointed out to me regarding negating initiative costs outside of combat.
          Last edited by Reminiscent Oasis; 01-07-2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• So, bonus dice from Appearance on social influence rolls are determined before any bonuses to Resolve are factored in (per corebook p. 218).

Are they also determined before penalties to Resolve are factored in?

For example, when a sorcerer trances his victim with Peacock Shadow Eyes for -2 Resolve, is he getting an additional two dice from his Appearance? (Assuming, of course, that his Appearance is at least equal to the victim's base Resolve.)

I had been assuming that the intended rule was "just use the base Resolve without modifiers," but the text does say "bonuses" specifically.

Comment

• Will Crucible of Heroes talk at all about Essence 6+?

Comment

• Something that came up in a recent game;

Should a character using a savaging action from a grapple be able to activate a simple charm for use in that attack?

Some of the simple Solar Brawl charms specify that they interact with grapple mechanics, but none of them directly state that they can be used in place of a savage (or other) grapple action- it is sort of just implicit.

Specific example; using Hammer on Iron during a grapple to deliver a flurry against defence 0.

Clarification would be much appreciated.

My Homebrew: Architect of the Regal Puppet Style (WIP) || Monkey Style || Radiant Halo of Incandescent Might || Pale Driver, Ruination of the Edifice of Tyranny || Sublime Percussion, Just a Whole lot of Fun || Idris, The Graceful Heart of Purpose

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                  Will Crucible of Heroes talk at all about Essence 6+?
                  Crucible of Legends will not have substantial advice on how to handle elder Exalts as characters. It does have some guidance on dealing with specific games that have a significant elder presence, like Sidereals or Lunars.

Neall Raemonn Price
                  Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

• So after taking the defend other action "The defending character may apply his Parry against any attacks directed at his ward until his next turn.", I've read this 'may' as permissive but not compulory; for any attack against the ward he might apply his parry but he might also choose not to. So if say 2 solars used War Lion Stance on eachother for any attack against either they might choose who of them defends to prevent enemies from focusing either one of them.

Is this correct or do you have to defend against any attack against your ward?

Comment

• Increasing Strength Exercise explicitly allows the character to increase their "Strength score". It has been clarified somewhere that this does not affect caps for dice pools. What does it affect? Specifically:

1. Does the increased Strength increase withering damage?
                      2. Does it affect how many dice of withering damage can be added by Fire and Stones Strike (it explicitly mentions "Strength score", literally the same words are used as in ISE).
                      3. Does it affect the maximal number of attacks in Iron Whirlwind Attack or Invincible Fury of the Dawn?
                      4. Does it affect effects from martials arts, e.g. Tiger style, which add (Strength) withering damage?

In general which Strength-based calculations take into account the modified Strength? Each one, unless specified otherwise? Or is it just charm dice to strength-based pools + meeting strength requirements in Feats of Strength?

How are the calculations affected when strength is modified by piloting a warstrider?

Comment

• Not sure if this has been answered before, attempts to search this thread and the previous thread hasn't turned up any relevant results. Apologies if I missed something.

Does the reflexive movement you gain from a Disengage nullify the Aim action?

Example:
                        Anathema Anne has caught Shikari Sam and Immaculate Ivory at a bad time, and engages them in combat. Anathema Anne is at Close range to both targets, and does some action. Immaculate Ivory Disengages, retreats to Short range. Shikari Sam makes a Withering Attack, dropping Anathema Anne's Initiative below all other targets.

Shikari Sam takes his turn, and then Immaculate Ivory takes the Aim action at Anathema Anne, with a ranged weapon. Anathema Anne's turn now comes up. Using any form of valid movement, Anathema Anne attempts to move to Close with Immaculate Ivory. This triggers the reflexive movement from Immaculate Ivory's prior Disengage.

At this point, what happens? Does Ivory fail to move, due to having aimed? Do they move, but the aim action is ruined in some way, no longer providing any benefit?

Comment

• In the Lunar playtest: does the duration extension offered by Endless Masquerade Affliction apply to all uses of Insidious Lunar Transformation, or only of those that transform that target into a human shape?

Comment

• Can a staff sling be used as a staff? I can’t think of a reason why not but the description and tags are conspicuously devoid of saying so.

Comment

• I have a question about the setting: are the tya still a thing? And if so is it still because women can't sail the ocean for mostly mystical reasons or is there something else?

Comment

• 1. Is the text in Surprise Anticipation Method that the motes you get can be used to lower the commited cost of charms of scene or longer duration supposed to be a thing for all charms that return motes for a certain ability or attribute (f.ex. Preeminent Gala Knife or Devil-Queen Rapture) or is that a SAM only thing?

2. Myriad Graces Appeal says it lets you add "that Attribute to her base Appearance to determine how many non-Charm bonus dice her Appearance adds", do any extra appearance dice added by this count for Devil-Queen Rapture? F.ex. if you had App 5 Str 5 and stunted App + Str on a roll to intimidate someone with base Resolve 5, would you get 5m back from Devil-Queen Rapture?
                                Last edited by limaxophobiac; 01-18-2020, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X