This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Illaden View Post

And what about Cunning Anglerfish Decoy, and Ant and starfish trick?
    Not shapeshifting, not magical disguises, don't get shut down. If the Storyteller wants to say it makes their duplicate status obvious, I think that's fair, but it won't poof them.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
      Is Salamander's Tail Feint (Lunars, p352/353) activated when someone declares a decisive attack against you, or after suffering damage and deciding to take a crippling injury?
      You use it when you choose to accept a crippling injury.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• In the strategic warfare system in the core book, one of the potential bonuses to the Strategic Maneuver roll is:

"The players have roleplayed one or more scenes in which they obtained some concrete advantage over the enemy or harmed the enemy army (stealing its secrets, devastating its supply lines, killing a famous hero of the opposing forces, etc). "

for a bonus of 1-3. For many advantages of this type, there is some other mechanical advantage which it would be logical for the player's side to gain after roleplaying the scene. For instance, they could gain some useful information about the enemy force's capabilities, the enemies could suffer penalties for hunger after having weakened supply lines, or an Exalt or powerful mortal character that was previously going to appear in the battle now doesn't.

Generally speaking, is this Strategic Maneuver bonus supposed to apply in addition to these other mechanical advantages? Instead of these other mechanical advantages? Only when there is no reasonable choice for another mechanical advantage?

Or is it simply too dependent on the individual situation and nothing general can be said?

Comment

• Originally posted by habitableexoplanet View Post
          In the strategic warfare system in the core book, one of the potential bonuses to the Strategic Maneuver roll is:

"The players have roleplayed one or more scenes in which they obtained some concrete advantage over the enemy or harmed the enemy army (stealing its secrets, devastating its supply lines, killing a famous hero of the opposing forces, etc). "

for a bonus of 1-3. For many advantages of this type, there is some other mechanical advantage which it would be logical for the player's side to gain after roleplaying the scene. For instance, they could gain some useful information about the enemy force's capabilities, the enemies could suffer penalties for hunger after having weakened supply lines, or an Exalt or powerful mortal character that was previously going to appear in the battle now doesn't.

Generally speaking, is this Strategic Maneuver bonus supposed to apply in addition to these other mechanical advantages? Instead of these other mechanical advantages? Only when there is no reasonable choice for another mechanical advantage?

Or is it simply too dependent on the individual situation and nothing general can be said?
          If the Storyteller thinks it makes sense for there to be other mechanical consequences in addition to the Strategic Maneuver bonus, that's fine.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• How common are manses/desmenes? As in, roughly how many are in Creation?

Also, do desmenes form under the ocean? It both feels weird to me for the West to have very few desmenes compared to the other 3 outer directions, and for a large chunk of the world's manses to be mostly inaccessible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
              While it's technically in development insofar as second drafts have been turned in, we won't actually get a chance to start development until after we've finished development on Heirs to the Shogunate.

Our current thoughts for Ysyr's visual references are a mashup of Phoenicia/Carthage, France's Ancien Regime, and (as you mentioned) Michael Moorcock's Elric stories and the like. Weird fantasy overtones should show up throughout the Dreaming Sea, though other parts of the region can be expected to draw visual references from different real-world sources.

Fascinating! I suppose it's too early to ask if we'll get an art peice of it?
              Also, briefly, does Ysyr and it's capital of Ys have any inspiration in the city of Ys off the shore of Brittany?

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
              Many Limbed Manual
              Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
              San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
              My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

• Originally posted by autXautY View Post
                How common are manses/desmenes? As in, roughly how many are in Creation?
                We don't have specific numbers; the general rule of thumb is that they're common enough that it's not weird for your PC to control one and/or possess a hearthstone, but rare enough that there's competition for them.

In addition, their distribution is irregular; one huge swath of countryside might have none at all, while in another area there might be two or three so close together that they all fit within the same city. This helps to avoid worrying about whether the number of manses and demesnes in the area is "correct" or not.

Originally posted by autXautY View Post
                Also, do desmenes form under the ocean? It both feels weird to me for the West to have very few desmenes compared to the other 3 outer directions, and for a large chunk of the world's manses to be mostly inaccessible.
                Demesnes can indeed form under the ocean, where they're very much accessible to the various undersea peoples who dwell there.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                  Fascinating! I suppose it's too early to ask if we'll get an art peice of it?
                  Too early to tell.

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                  Also, briefly, does Ysyr and it's capital of Ys have any inspiration in the city of Ys off the shore of Brittany?
                  Not sure if that had anything to do with the old devs' choice of name, but yes, that's one source of the current team's inspirations.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• What sort of real-world locales should I look at for Nexus inspiration?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                      What sort of real-world locales should I look at for Nexus inspiration?
                      I'd start with Victorian-era London (especially the exaggerated fictionalized versions found in Dickens and the like) and post-WW2 Hong Kong.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                        (especially the exaggerated fictionalized versions found in Dickens and the like)
                        I'd say it's a testament to things like Dickens' social activism that society eventually moved on so far that people could look upon his depiction of London as something exaggerated from reality.

Hell, even Dickens didn't cover all of it; as far as I know, none of his books ever featured a character who did something like unilaterally have his wife committed to a mental institution so that he could more readily live with his much younger girlfriend without the awkwardness of divorce.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

I'd say it's a testament to things like Dickens' social activism that society eventually moved on so far that people could look upon his depiction of London as something exaggerated from reality.

Hell, even Dickens didn't cover all of it; as far as I know, none of his books ever featured a character who did something like unilaterally have his wife committed to a mental institution so that he could more readily live with his much younger girlfriend without the awkwardness of divorce.
                          Discussion of victorian society is not a question for the developers.
                          As a reminder for everyone, if someone says something in this thread (or another) says something that you deem worthy of further tangental discussion then quoting them in a different thread will still alert the original poster to its existence.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                          Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

• Does Step Between Seconds have to be used at the start of your turn or can you take your normal action first?

Comment

• A Lunar using Locust-and-Starling Legion adds (Size) dice to attack rolls, gets +(Size) soak, etc. Do the dice from Size count as dice added by a Charm?

I realize the general rule is that everything counts unless specified as a non-Charm bonus, but I'm unclear on whether the Size benefits gained from being a battle group actually count as a dice bonus added by the Charm itself. If that makes sense.

Comment

• So I was looking at the Deadly Beastman Transformation Charm.

It specifically says that one of its benefits is that it adds [Strength] dice on movement actions, feats of strength, and Withering Attack rolls.

Since it says "Attack rolls" does this mean the dice apply as post-soak Withering damage?

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X