Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask the Devs v2

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • With the understanding that specifics may always change during development, to what extent do you see the Solars, Abyssals, and Infernals mirroring each other (or rather, Abyssals and Infernals resembling Solars) in their early/fundamental Charms that compose their bread and butter? For instance, we know Elegant Flowing Deflection remains nearly identical to Dipping Swallow Defense. Is it reasonable to predict that the three Solar cousins will have largely similar baseline mechanics to establish them as equivalent peers before breaking off into their own thematic directions? (To use the Melee example: all three perhaps sharing Excellent Strike / Dipping Swallow > Bulwark capabilities.) Is that more likely in their combat Charm sets where it's harder to have wildly different basics without bigger variance in their core effectiveness?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Moonstruck View Post
      With the understanding that specifics may always change during development, to what extent do you see the Solars, Abyssals, and Infernals mirroring each other (or rather, Abyssals and Infernals resembling Solars) in their early/fundamental Charms that compose their bread and butter? For instance, we know Elegant Flowing Deflection remains nearly identical to Dipping Swallow Defense. Is it reasonable to predict that the three Solar cousins will have largely similar baseline mechanics to establish them as equivalent peers before breaking off into their own thematic directions? (To use the Melee example: all three perhaps sharing Excellent Strike / Dipping Swallow > Bulwark capabilities.) Is that more likely in their combat Charm sets where it's harder to have wildly different basics without bigger variance in their core effectiveness?
      The current plan is that Abyssals will hew closer to Solars in their basic workhorse Charms before branching off into Charms emblematic of the Deathlords, while Infernals will be more divergent from the get-go.


      Developer for Exalted

      Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

      Robert Vance's Patreon

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
        A question about sorcerous initiations - do you guys think that the three shaping rituals (or two, in the case of the Soul-Perfecting Elixir) are the only ones that each initiation can have? Or are they just examples, to provide a guide to the "style" for each initiation, and additional shaping rituals could exist for any given initiation?
        I've never thought of that before, but I think adding new shaping rituals would be just fine.


        Developer for Exalted

        Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

        Robert Vance's Patreon

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
          The current plan is that Abyssals will hew closer to Solars in their basic workhorse Charms before branching off into Charms emblematic of the Deathlords, while Infernals will be more divergent from the get-go.
          Very cool! And thanks for your answer. I hopeful that would be the case. I don't suppose you'd be willing to hint at an example of how differently a Solar and an Infernal *might* look in their approach to basic feats in 3e?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
            Just how big and powerful are the Wanasaan? Their WFHW writeup made it sound like they're struggling, but according to the new novella, they have enough people that they can send a small team on their hunts and also possess plenty of material wealth, including captured beasts they're keeping around for fun in their citadel and apparently enough jade artifacts that they can equip a not particularly entrenched member of their family with a weapon, and they're pulling this feat off in an area so remote and resource-poor it is of no interest to the Realm? How does this work?
            It's also worth noting that the novels and novellas are merely canon-shaped, rather than absolutely reliable. With this powerful magic, the devs can break any literary bindings produced by novel-sorcery.


            Hey, check out my first original RPG, Post-Mortem, here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307131/PostMortem

            Or read my Exalted novella The Silence of Our Ancestors here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...looded-Novella

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Moonstruck View Post

              Very cool! And thanks for your answer. I hopeful that would be the case. I don't suppose you'd be willing to hint at an example of how differently a Solar and an Infernal *might* look in their approach to basic feats in 3e?
              A lot of the broad strokes of what Infernals were able to do in 2E will most likely be carried over, so that should give you a pretty good starting point.


              Developer for Exalted

              Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

              Robert Vance's Patreon

              Comment


              • Hm, question on Realm Prefectures. Now going into this that prefectures do vary in size, from large House strongholds to those that only has a few villages, what does the average size you think of a prefecture would look like, Like if it was on the map with the three dominions. Asking since i'm currently dividing up a plotting the realm map for a future game so I was wondering what kind of ballmark I should aim for, since while definitely not as big as the Dominions i'm interested in imagining exactly how the isle is divided up.

                Also in lleu with this, how did the divisions of prefectures come about? Like what was the generally reasoning the empress had from dividing this Prefecture to another.


                .

                Comment


                • Can a DB with multiple instances of Tiger-and-Dragon Combination use each combination attack once per day, or can each character do only one dual tech per day total?

                  Does the combination attack for a given purchase of TaDC have to be more or less the same thing every time (same weapons etc.), or can the involved duo use any pair of decisive attacks for which they can come up with a cool stunt?

                  Does buying Twin Dragons Dancing once allow you to potentially use it with every instance of TaDC known (at least the ones that are with a DB Hearthmate), or would you have to buy it separately for each TaDC combo? (Although it looks like you can only use its benefits once per story in total either way, if I'm reading it right.)

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                    Can a DB with multiple instances of Tiger-and-Dragon Combination use each combination attack once per day, or can each character do only one dual tech per day total?
                    Only one use per day, not one use per partner.

                    Does the combination attack for a given purchase of TaDC have to be more or less the same thing every time (same weapons etc.), or can the involved duo use any pair of decisive attacks for which they can come up with a cool stunt?
                    There's a core "signature move" that you're doing each time, but you can mix it up with stunts. There's no requirement to use the same weapons each time.

                    Does buying Twin Dragons Dancing once allow you to potentially use it with every instance of TaDC known (at least the ones that are with a DB Hearthmate), or would you have to buy it separately for each TaDC combo? (Although it looks like you can only use its benefits once per story in total either way, if I'm reading it right.)
                    You only have to buy it once.


                    Developer for Exalted

                    Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                    Robert Vance's Patreon

                    Comment


                    • First, love the Backer Charms in Heirs. I did have a small question about Moon-and-Earth Marriage.

                      Can this Charm be used with a Lunar who already has met their Solar Bondmate? Thus allowing the Lunar to act as though they have two Bondmates?


                      Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                        First, love the Backer Charms in Heirs. I did have a small question about Moon-and-Earth Marriage.

                        Can this Charm be used with a Lunar who already has met their Solar Bondmate? Thus allowing the Lunar to act as though they have two Bondmates?
                        Yes and yes.


                        Developer for Exalted

                        Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                        Robert Vance's Patreon

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                          Yes and yes.
                          Eeeeeexcellent!


                          Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

                          Comment


                          • But individual Simendors often meddle with spirits for their own purposes, binding them or even stealing their panoplies for use in sorcerous workings.
                            Is this referring to binding in the sense that you summon and bind a demon using Demon of the First Circle? That and Summon Elemental give means of binding a demon/elemental that needs to be summoned/created first. To my knowledge, there are no ways of sorcerously binding gods/ghosts or already-present demons/elementals (short of a sorcerous working which would seem to take a bit of time to pull off). What sorts of methods do Simendors use to bind these spirits?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Mynorin View Post

                              Is this referring to binding in the sense that you summon and bind a demon using Demon of the First Circle? That and Summon Elemental give means of binding a demon/elemental that needs to be summoned/created first. To my knowledge, there are no ways of sorcerously binding gods/ghosts or already-present demons/elementals (short of a sorcerous working which would seem to take a bit of time to pull off). What sorts of methods do Simendors use to bind these spirits?
                              Cunning, trickery, and clever use of existing Charms and spells, rather than a specific bind-gods-like-they're-demons spell.


                              Developer for Exalted

                              Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                              Robert Vance's Patreon

                              Comment


                              • For the Night Caste anima power that allows the Solar to ignore up to higher of three or Essence penalties to Stealth, does this mean the magnitude of the penalty (-3 dice in the pool) or three actual penalties, that is, things that would make stealth more difficult (being in broad daylight, with people looking at you, while talking)?



                                If you want to play Thomas Edison, you'd better be up to the task of carrying all of civilization through the Renaissance and Industrial Revolution, while the Sidereals and Dragon-Blooded are shooting at you.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X