This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Monarch-Wing Migration (Lunars p288) lets you go 20 miles a day across normal terrain, 10 miles per day across harsh wilderness, and (Speed x4) mph for ships. (Which for 7 people on horses doesn't seem hugely fast? I think you can ride a horse 25 or 30 miles per day if you're a good rider on good terrain. It's good for people walking though.)

Treading Midnight's Road (Lunars p288) increases the Speed Multiplier of Monarch-Wing Migration to (xEssence). But... there's no speed modifier. If my E3 Lunar buys this charm, should I triple the speed so it's 60 miles a day across normal terrain, 30 miles per day across harsh wilderness, and Speed x12mph for ships?
    Unless this refers to the speed modifier for ships only, but I assume not as you'd need to be Essence 5 to get a small benefit, and it'd only be for boats with only you and 10 other people on.
    Oof, that is entirely ambiguous. The speed multiplier for Monarch-Wing Migration is intended as x2, so once you get to x3, you'd have 15 miles per day over harsh terrain or 30 miles per day over normal terrain.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
      Hello,

For all other Charms I checked (mostly skimmed), the term damage rolled seems to refer to damage dice pools, but Foe-Hammer Technique seems to refer to damage done... Can you please clarify what is the intent for FHT?

Thanks again!
      When an effect like Foe-Hammer Technique (Lunars 268) says "damage rolled" (he suffers half the damage rolled against the grappled foe) does it refer to by the size of the damage pool I have rolled against him, or the amount of succesful damage I have rolled against him?
      It's half the dice of damage rolled.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post

It's half the dice of damage rolled.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Hi. So. Two Lunar PCs, both chimera with the relevant Charm, one is a hippo/scorpion and the other is a cat/stag.

Hippo/scorpion wants to add a light tail natural weapon, via the Claws/Fangs/Hooves mutation in Exalted Core.
          Cat/stag wants to add medium horns the same way.

How do you figure out the resulting weapon traits? Should you:

- just use your human pool since chimera aren't naturally occurring and this is an easy shortcut? But then the cat would seem to benefit a lot more from a human's "base" damage, and it seems wrong to be unable to leverage the full Strength of a yeddim - sure, it's not natural, but you're a LUNAR chimera, surely your spirit shape is in harmony with itself.

- try to guess the animal's pools and what its natural attacks are "rated" to work backwards? But then the hippo bite is kind of an outlier, and Tiny Creature reductions are a little tricky. There are actually a number of outliers that make this system difficult to apply.

I'm just not really sure what to do here. It seems like something I'd expect to see from chimera players, since natural attacks are iconic to a lot of animals, but the interaction feels hazy.

Comment

Oof, that is entirely ambiguous. The speed multiplier for Monarch-Wing Migration is intended as x2, so once you get to x3, you'd have 15 miles per day over harsh terrain or 30 miles per day over normal terrain.
            Thanks.
            So, I am correct that the charm doesn't do anything for, say, a group of Lunars in bird form? Since they're already going more than 10/20 miles a day.
            Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 11-04-2020, 05:42 PM.

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

what about a party of lunars traveling in fast animal shapes like horses for example ? Do they double their speed or do they actually get slowed down by using this charm ? I’m jut trying to understand the logic for fixing the speed in the updated version. The original version of the charm was way more straightforward. I mean why buy a charm that makes you slower.
              Last edited by Beast of Bitter Oblivion; 11-04-2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• A RAW vs RAI question. Righteous devil style. If you get a reflexive aim out of cloud of ebon devils and shoot a guy on the same turn, can you reflexively enter righteous devil form, or are you thwarted by "after taking an aim action on her previous turn" wording ?

Comment

• What languages do they speak in An Teng? I'm assuning Flametongue (and of course the Dynasts there would speak High Realm), but are there any others present?

Comment

• If you use the control effect of Beckoning That Which Stirs the Sky to make the weather follow you, then teleport to a new location, is the intention for the weather teleport with you, or to follow you more discretely (storms travelling in your wake at the normal speed of a shifting weather pattern, or the weather chaning at your new location over a few minutes as if you had just cast the spell again), or just get left behind?

If there's no writer's intent here, what would be your inclination as ST?

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                      If you use the control effect of Beckoning That Which Stirs the Sky to make the weather follow you, then teleport to a new location, is the intention for the weather teleport with you, or to follow you more discretely (storms travelling in your wake at the normal speed of a shifting weather pattern, or the weather chaning at your new location over a few minutes as if you had just cast the spell again), or just get left behind?

If there's no writer's intent here, what would be your inclination as ST?
                      I think it'd teleport with you.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Beast of Bitter Oblivion View Post

what about a party of lunars traveling in fast animal shapes like horses for example ? Do they double their speed or do they actually get slowed down by using this charm ? I’m jut trying to understand the logic for fixing the speed in the updated version. The original version of the charm was way more straightforward. I mean why buy a charm that makes you slower.
                        It wouldn't downgrade your speed, and it'd still provide that bonus if you're traveling through terrain that horses normally wouldn't be able to go through very fast.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Braininthejar View Post
                          A RAW vs RAI question. Righteous devil style. If you get a reflexive aim out of cloud of ebon devils and shoot a guy on the same turn, can you reflexively enter righteous devil form, or are you thwarted by "after taking an aim action on her previous turn" wording ?
                          I think you should still get the reflexive activation.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

Thanks.
                            So, I am correct that the charm doesn't do anything for, say, a group of Lunars in bird form? Since they're already going more than 10/20 miles a day.
                            Not unless they're going up against bad weather conditions.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Kingdom of One View Post
                              Hi. So. Two Lunar PCs, both chimera with the relevant Charm, one is a hippo/scorpion and the other is a cat/stag.

Hippo/scorpion wants to add a light tail natural weapon, via the Claws/Fangs/Hooves mutation in Exalted Core.
                              Cat/stag wants to add medium horns the same way.

How do you figure out the resulting weapon traits? Should you:

- just use your human pool since chimera aren't naturally occurring and this is an easy shortcut? But then the cat would seem to benefit a lot more from a human's "base" damage, and it seems wrong to be unable to leverage the full Strength of a yeddim - sure, it's not natural, but you're a LUNAR chimera, surely your spirit shape is in harmony with itself.

- try to guess the animal's pools and what its natural attacks are "rated" to work backwards? But then the hippo bite is kind of an outlier, and Tiny Creature reductions are a little tricky. There are actually a number of outliers that make this system difficult to apply.

I'm just not really sure what to do here. It seems like something I'd expect to see from chimera players, since natural attacks are iconic to a lot of animals, but the interaction feels hazy.
                              "Reverse engineering" by picking one of the animal's natural attacks, subtracting the benefits of whatever weapon weight class you feel is most appropriate, and then adding in the benefits of the chosen weapon weight class is probably the best approach.

If you don't want to bother with all that math, I'd let them just say that the scorpion-hippo's tail uses the same traits as its bite, and not require them to spend any mutation dots on it - just a cosmetic thing.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

I think it'd teleport with you.
                                Just for the record, this is for the sake of a thread for travel speed shenanigans; someone worked up a combo of this spell and the Storm Serpent Charm Eclipses can learn; for comparison, the Solar Circle spell Rain of Doom also has the option to follow you around if it's your control spell, but its speed is capped.

He/him

Comment

Working...
                                X