Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are marriage matches between Dynasts always between a man and an woman, when there's, apparently, all these magical means transgender Dynasts use all the time to have children, regardless of their biological sex? If these things are just available to Dynasts, then shouldn't House Matriarchs be solely making matches based on politics and blood potency, if they have access to magic that makes biological sex almost a non-issue?
    Last edited by Ranger_Lord; 12-24-2020, 12:11 PM.

"I roll Lore (Farming)!"
    "You're in an ancient Solar tomb."
    "I roll Lore (Farming)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ranger_Lord View Post
      Why are marriage matches between Dynasts always between a man and an woman, when there's, apparently, all these magical means transgender Dynasts use all the time to have children, regardless of their biological sex? If these things are just available to Dynasts, then shouldn't House Matriarchs be solely making matches based on politics and blood potency, if they have access to magic that makes biological sex almost a non-issue?
      There are three factors here.

First, opposite-gender marriage is a tradition that carries significant weight in the Dynasty, over and above their role in producing Dragon-Blooded offspring. Kids are an extremely important part of marriage, but they are not the only factor. (Note, for instance, how a childless marriage can only be dissolved by agreement of both houses' matriarchs or an Imperial judge; it isn't automatic, nor can it be done unilaterally by one parent's house. A childless marriage that serves other purposes can continue indefinitely if it serves the houses' needs — or if the spouses persuade their house matriarchs accordingly.)

Second, sorcerers and their works are somewhat distrusted in the Dynasty. Hiring a sorcerer to create a child is expensive, the means they use are weird and difficult to understand, and it's unclear whether they're entirely trustworthy, especially if they're from outside your immediate family or mutual circle of close friends. While it's highly improbable that a Dynastic sorcerer would either make an error in the process or deliberately tamper with it to serve some political agenda, that doesn't stop the parents from having anxiety over it, and it offers political rivals an opportunity to spread nasty unfounded rumors about your offspring.

Third, and in many ways most important — marriage negotiations are geared specifically toward opposite-gender marriages. Children belong to the mother's house; the father receives a stipend from the mother's house, the father's house benefits from the potential status that the wife can be expected to achieve later in life, and so forth. The status of potential spouses is gauged according to this time-tested framework.

Step outside of that framework and negotiations become far more difficult and complicated. With two women, one of them gives up the prospect of adding children to her Great House. With two men, only one of them gets to add children to his Great House, while both give up the prospect of rising alongside a female spouse's greater political potential. Marriage negotiations are long and difficult even in opposite-gender marriages; parents and matriarchs won't dive into negotiations for other marriages willingly.
      Last edited by Eric Minton; 12-24-2020, 03:43 PM.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Pure-Blood Lintha: are they still a thing in 3e, and if so, will Exigent rules be able to model them?

Comment

• Apologies if this has been answered. I have a question about Legendary Size and Decisive Damage:

What, exactly, are "levels of damage added by Charms or other magic"? Is it literally "this Charm adds 2L to your rolled decisive damage"?

If my character has Strength 3, they'd usually be capped at 6 levels of damage (Strength + 3) when making a decisive attack (against, say, a Tyrant Lizard).

If I use Thunderbolt Attack Prana (Solar Atheletics Charm, page 262) to double my damage, and roll 7 successes on my damage roll, how much damage do I do?

Does TAP not count as "levels of damage added by Charms", so I just do 6 damage?
          Are my 7 successes capped at 6, which is then doubled by my Charm to 12 damage?
          Or, because I'm using magic, do I bypass Legendary Size and deal (7x2) 14 damage?

Or is it something completely different?

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Has the Empress successfully gotten her genes into the modern descendants of every Dragon-Blooded Gens that was living on the Blessed Isle at the end of the Shogunate, or are there significant swathes of these descendants who aren’t directly related to her by blood, but were absorbed into a great house anyway?

I don’t remember any part in WFHW that was like “House X is essentially the old Shogunate Gens Y, but the Empress took the son of its Matriarch and/or the Matriarch as her consort and renamed his/her Gens as a House in his/her honor” but I’d think something like that would have been the most expedient way to “adopt” all those families into her Dynasty.
            Last edited by Ranger_Lord; 12-27-2020, 09:31 AM.

"I roll Lore (Farming)!"
            "You're in an ancient Solar tomb."
            "I roll Lore (Farming)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
              Pure-Blood Lintha: are they still a thing in 3e, and if so, will Exigent rules be able to model them?
              There's no longer a concept of "pure-blooded Lintha, who aren't human." If you want to give a specific Lintha some Lintha Charms because they're especially powerful, you can do that, and you can use the chapter on Charm design in Exigents to help with that.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                Apologies if this has been answered. I have a question about Legendary Size and Decisive Damage:

What, exactly, are "levels of damage added by Charms or other magic"? Is it literally "this Charm adds 2L to your rolled decisive damage"?

If my character has Strength 3, they'd usually be capped at 6 levels of damage (Strength + 3) when making a decisive attack (against, say, a Tyrant Lizard).

If I use Thunderbolt Attack Prana (Solar Atheletics Charm, page 262) to double my damage, and roll 7 successes on my damage roll, how much damage do I do?

Does TAP not count as "levels of damage added by Charms", so I just do 6 damage?
                Are my 7 successes capped at 6, which is then doubled by my Charm to 12 damage?
                Or, because I'm using magic, do I bypass Legendary Size and deal (7x2) 14 damage?

Or is it something completely different?
                It's gotta be a level of damage added to the damage dealt by the attack. Multiplication doesn't count.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Arms of the Chosen, page 18
                  Every artifact armor or weapon, and many a unique wonder rated at •••+ dots, has Evocations that depict its
                  unique legacy and power.
                  Does that mean that some unique wonders don't, or this is just a bit of flowery language?

Comment

• If I get hit by Heaven Thunder Hammer (Corebook 274) and end up taking damage "as if he had fallen from a medium distance" then can I "stunt an opportunity to make a roll to avoid or mitigate" the damage", as per the Falling rules on page 232?

Comment

• Originally posted by Altasaire View Post
                      Does that mean that some unique wonders don't, or this is just a bit of flowery language?
                      I wrote a long response to this, but my browser ate it. The short answer is: As per the book, not all utility artifacts have Evocations; we were following the core book, which specifically said that Evocations were "associated primarily with artifact weapons and armor." (p. 611). But we've largely been moving away from that as the line goes on, and the Storyteller should feel free to ignore it if she prefers. Just note that many utility artifacts in the core and in Arms weren't written with Evocations in mind, and this should be taken into account in balancing Evocations for them. In this regard, if you deem a core book utility artifact overpowered for your table's purposes, you can retool its innate powers as Evocations. (Like, if you feel that an effect is too strong, you can view it as a Resonant effect and provide a toned-down version for a Dragon-Blooded user, or you can put it higher in the tree and require some prerequisite Evocations to awaken it.)

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

I wrote a long response to this, but my browser ate it. The short answer is: As per the book, not all utility artifacts have Evocations; we were following the core book, which specifically said that Evocations were "associated primarily with artifact weapons and armor." (p. 611). But we've largely been moving away from that as the line goes on, and the Storyteller should feel free to ignore it if she prefers. Just note that many utility artifacts in the core and in Arms weren't written with Evocations in mind, and this should be taken into account in balancing Evocations for them. In this regard, if you deem a core book utility artifact overpowered for your table's purposes, you can retool its innate powers as Evocations. (Like, if you feel that an effect is too strong, you can view it as a Resonant effect and provide a toned-down version for a Dragon-Blooded user, or you can put it higher in the tree and require some prerequisite Evocations to awaken it.)
                        Thanks! My actual question was more along the line of "is it now intended that all 3*+ artifacts can awaken Evocations, or my ST can deny me evocations on a non-weapon/armor Artifact with no further justification?"
                        So this answers it handily.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                          It's gotta be a level of damage added to the damage dealt by the attack. Multiplication doesn't count.
                          What about an automatic success added to the damage roll? Or a die of damage converted into an automatic success? And does the latter still count as a die of raw damage for the purpose of Hardness?
                          Last edited by Sith_Happens; 12-29-2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                            What about an automatic success added to the damage roll?
                            Yeah.

Or a die of damage converted into an automatic success?
                            I could see an argument for both sides, but I think the better view is to say that it counts.

And does the latter still count as a die of raw damage for the purpose of Hardness?
                            I'd say so, as it doesn't make sense for those kind of effects to make you worse against Hardness.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                              If I get hit by Heaven Thunder Hammer (Corebook 274) and end up taking damage "as if he had fallen from a medium distance" then can I "stunt an opportunity to make a roll to avoid or mitigate" the damage", as per the Falling rules on page 232?
                              I believe the intent is no.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Dragon-Graced Weapon (WFHW, page 226) states "the Dragon-Blood can use Elemental Sheath to reflexively shape and ready a mundane Melee weapon from an elemental manifestation".

Is the intent that the Dragon-Blood may expend a level of anima in lieu of using an elemental manifestation (like with the primary effect of Dragon-Graced Weapon) and this simply wasn't specified (for word-count reasons?) or is the intent that shaping a mundane weapon requires an existing elemental manifestation (and you can't subsitute anima)?

Also, the prerequiste Charm specifies "a dramatic and significant manifestation of an element that is at least as large as her weapon" but Dragon-Graced Weapon does not -- is the intent that shaping a mundane melee requires a dramatic and significant manifestation of an element that is at least as large as the weapon or will any elemental manisfestation do?

Comment

Working...
                                X