Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In 3e are workings the only permanent results of sorcery or can spells still achieve these effects? For example, Savant and Sorcerer had the spell Ritual of Elemental Empowerment that would permanently enchant an object with various effects. Would it be a working now?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sasha View Post
      Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this kind of question, but at what stage of a project do you start releasing previews for KS backers? I saw that Many-Faced Strangers has progressed to the 'development' stage (congrats, btw!) which has me curious. 😄
      There is no specific policy for releasing previews on upcoming Exalted supplements, other than releasing the manuscript of a Kickstarted book (such as Dragon-Blooded or Lunars) during the Kickstarter. Whether or not there will be any previews at all for Many-Faced Strangers is up to Onyx Path.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Pedantic questions, sorry, the first two simple (asked because players have recently offered interpretations that have never occured to me), the final one less so. Apologies if they’ve been asked before, I’ve failed to find definitive answers.

--

1. How should Stoking Bonfire Style’s discount operate under this scenario?

DB is fighting X, Y and Z. He parries all of their attacks using Melee and then, in the final act of the turn, attacks X using SBS. He hits and leapfrogs to the top of the initiative tree for the following turn.

If he attacks X using SBS again as the first act of the new turn, does he get a 1m discount? Or does the fact he used his Melee parry against multiple people preclude him from establishing a basis for the discount at all in the previous turn?

(I’ve always presumed he would get the discount here – that it is essentially established ‘afresh’ with each Melee-based action within a round).

--

2. Does blocking or attacking (or failing at either) a different opponent in a turn with MA or Brawl reset the SBS discount?

E.g. DB (Melee 5, Earth Dragon 5, armed with Grand Goremaul) is fighting X and Y and has a 2m SBS discount going against Y. If X attacks and the DB defends with an Earth Dragon-based parry is the discount unaffected? What if the attack hits?

(I’ve presumed this is an obvious yes in the first instance as it’s a different skill, in the same way Dodge is a different skill, but if the attack hits you lose the discount).

--

3. Defend Other 'chains'

Urgh. Sorry. Long one, so spoilered:

Are these even a thing?

This has come up with us as a response to this ruling flagged by limaxophobiac in the Arena thread, and the fact we’re about to have multiple characters with Flame Warden Stance in our game: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...84#post1117984

Under this scenario:

X clashes with A
        B is ‘defend other’-ing A and has a counter-attack charm
        C is ‘defend other’-ing B and has a counter-attack charm

What happens?

--

We figured it might be simplest if the players would just have their choice of which of B or C would intercede rather than adding another stage to the defend other process. The character who wasn’t chosen becomes irrelevant while the chosen character would parry and (potentially) counter-attack.

According to the ruling cited above, A’s clash attack with X would then be resolved – with A rolling against 0 successes if X elects to attack B (or C).

Alternatively, should C only become involved if X redirects his attack to B? Or should C not be able to intercede at all?

--

I ask partly as the previous call on clash/defend other seems to make Flame Warden Stance or, say, Empyrean Aegis (ie defend other charms that allow you to still take other actions) plus clash charms on PCs are a recipe for decisives that simply aren't going to miss – thus breaking the game a bit.

My players are theory-crafting facing off against our Big Bad, pumping Player A full of initiative with Victory-Seeking Insight, setting up a Flame Warden chain and clashing on turn 2, forcing an opponent who normally has sky-high defences to defend with just a handful of extra successes. Fight over (they won't actually do it as it won't be fun, they're not monsters, but they've identified the loophole).

I’ve wondered if a solution would be that defend other can simply prevent a clash occurring, forcing it to become a normal attack against the person who intervened?

So in the above scenario, players A and B have the choice of either allowing the clash between X and A to proceed as if there was no defend other action involved or shifting X's attack entirely to B (or C depending on how you call it on my above question), which would then be resolved as a standard atack. Then A’s attack would be resolved against X’s normal defences (or maybe this has to be Dodge to represent them flinching at the last minute while their own weapon heads in B or C's direction?).

If the clash was created by a charm, e.g. PCD, then that charm would still have to be paid for, but other clash-only charms (like Crossfire Flash) wouldn’t be able to be used and would be refunded.

But I’d bow to others’ input on that idea, may create more problems than it solves.

Sorry to even ask in the first place, this whole thing made me recoil when it came up…

Thank you – as ever this is all massively appreciated.
        Last edited by Moss Reynholm; 02-19-2021, 06:27 AM.

Comment

• Should Darth Maul-style double bladed swords (or just straight up a double-bladed beamklave) be considered a form weapon for the Steel Devil Style?

"I roll Lore (Farming)!"
          "You're in an ancient Solar tomb."
          "I roll Lore (Farming)!"

Comment

• Why do siege weapons have an effective Strength of 0 for withering damage? A firewand does the same damage as a siege weapon.

EDIT: Realized that’s a partly odd way to ask that question since there’s not much point in distinguishing between the “base” and “use instead of Strength” parts of the damage of an entire category of weapon that never adds Strength, so a rephrase is probably in order: Why do mortal* siege weapons essentially only have the damage of mortal heavy weapons after accounting for Strength or the Crossbow/Flame tags?

* Artifact siege weapons by contrast are a few damage more than artifact heavy which confuses me even more (why the difference)?
            Last edited by Sith_Happens; 01-20-2021, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• I'm sorry if this is not the right place or way to ask this. It is directed Robert Vance though I wouldn't mind if someone else is able to provide the material.

Back in the days of the old forum Robert Vance/The Demented One created an Autochthon Charmset. I have managed to piece most of it together but am still missing a few charms.
              It includes such charms as Essence-Stocked Titanic Forge, Ultimate Efficiency Tirelessness, and Tool-Integrating Intuition.

If you happen to still have a copy (though I understand it has been many years and likely multiple computers), I would really appreciate if you could repost it somewhere or link me to where I might find it.

Thank you.

Comment

• If an Exalt is immaterial, but then flares their anima to Bonfire, is the anima immaterial (and thus invisible) or can folks see the anima?

Any change if using, say, a Belt of Shadowwalking (from the Corebook) to become an immaterial shadow?

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• 10 or 15 years from now, when all the Exalt splatbooks have been released, how will Exalted Essence still be relevant? Now, from what we know so far, it seems to straddle this line of, "rules lite / quick start" and, "giving players a structure to play unreleased-as-of-yet splats," that I'm not sure will be as necessary in the long term? Unless you're a player who's like, "Well I want to include Sidereals in my game, and mechanically do them justice, but picking up their whole splatbook isn't something I want to do."

Otherwise you're in a spot where you want the fluff and information from that splatbook but don't need the mechanics, in which case that player has a big investment for not as much return, though that's obviously subjective in several ways. Or will there be some ways to 'convert' main Charms into Essence's trees? Is there any cross-compatibility?

Comment

• Originally posted by reseru View Post
                    10 or 15 years from now, when all the Exalt splatbooks have been released, how will Exalted Essence still be relevant?
                    Players and Storytellers who want a rules-light version of Exalted won't feel any differently about rules-light versus rules-heavy a few years down the line.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                      Players and Storytellers who want a rules-light version of Exalted won't feel any differently about rules-light versus rules-heavy a few years down the line.
                      That's totally fair, and I should've expected that answer. I guess I was trying to ask, if the mechanics aren't cross-compatible, what's the incentive to an Essence-only customer to buy the main line stuff? Just fluff support, or are the mechanics convertible on some level?

Comment

• Are there any guidelines as to how much magical material you can cut with mundane material before it stops being able to support an artifact? Jade alloy cut with steel or bronze is suggested in the corebook, but how little jade per alloy still "works"? I don't think you can melt down a single obol in a daiklave's worth of steel and work with that, can you?

For that matter, is there a guideline as to how much magical material can you use in an artifact so that you don't need to add additional mystical ingredients (drawing Evocation themes from (only) the basic nature of, say, orichalcum and the mood and approach used by the artifact's author)?
                        Last edited by Altasaire; 01-27-2021, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• What is the reason for giving the crossbow the powerful tag and not just making it a heavy weapon? Is there a difference I am not seeing?

Comment

• Edit: forgot what thread I clicked on.

Comment

• How many workings can a Solar keep doing in parallel (assuming there are no pressing concerns, downtime-style), before they start running out of time in the week?

Comment

• How would you have the claws/fangs/hooves/horns mutation work for animal forms? I'd assumed that they'd just function with the same accuracy/damage/parry bonus as in human form if you're a lunar using your own pools, but as they're written to modifiy your unnarmed attack*, unlike say, Wood Dragon Claws which create "a weapon with the same tags as an unarmed attack", it's unclear how they'd work on an animal which doesn't have an unnarmed attack.

*(which is kind of weird, I'd have assumed if you grew medium horns in human form you could still punch people same as before with light weapon stats but since it modifies your existing unnarmed attack rather than giving an alternate unnarmed/natural weapon I guess not)

Comment

Working...
                                X