This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
    Would you allow an Air-Aspected Elemental Bolt be used as a form-weapon for Air Dragon Style? What about a Fire-Bolt for Righteous Devil?
    I don't see much breaking if that's allowed.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Epitome View Post
      1) Suppose a stealthed character wins Join Battle but doesn't reveal their presence in their first turn (i.e. they start Stalking Wolf Attitude, they Aim, or they do basically any of White Veil's unnoticeable attacks shenanigans). Does their opponent become aware that they are in combat once their turn arrives? Or does the opponent "waste" their turn because they don't know that they are in combat?
      Once battle is joined, the opponent would be aware that someone is coming for him, even if he doesn't know who they are or where they are.

2) For the Lunar Charm Vigilant Mastiff Technique, if you know Heron Sheds Rain, does that cause Vigilant Mastiff Technique to parry unblockable attacks on its own? Or do you have to use both Charms on the tick where you wish to parry an unblockable attack against your ward?
      Vigilant Mastiff Technique is all you need.

3) Do Casteless Lunars get a Non-Caste, Non-Favored discount on Martial Arts Charms? In other words, do Martial Arts Charms cost 10xp or 9xp for Casteless?
      10 xp. The discount only applies to Lunar Charms.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpharius View Post
        What does the domain of a god being rapidly expanded do to the god, in a practical manner? Like the old City God of Deheleshen was driven mad by the fate of his city and the City God of Lookshy is an entirely different entity (who has some kind of relation to him still). But this is an example of reduction of domain and frankly probably a lot of actual trauma, I can't imagine the Raksha were any kinder to gods than mortals.

Say you have a small city which due to a combination of like...a new natural resource find in the hills and a nice gold rush, the opening of a new canal and the completion of a vital new trade route that links you to the Jade Road with ease and the city rapidly expands into a great trade hub over the course of a decade or two. Frontier to metropolis story. Does that city god get promoted up the hierarchy or get new power in the form of expanded essence, charms and maybe stats out of it, or just a great expansion of their Cult merit and maybe some other practical merit changes?
        The phrase that tends to crop up in describing the relation between gods and their portfolios is "the god is not the river." A change to a city father's home city isn't going to directly translate into any immediate metaphysical effect or upgrade on the god. That god might be able to leverage their city's newfound prominence to angle for a promotion within the celestial bureaucracy, but it's not an automatic "ping, level up."

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Kenshinzen View Post
          Do someone using Invulnerable Skin of Bronze also use the traits of medium weapons when she makes an unarmed Parry?
          Yes.

Does a winged Solar using Invulnerable Skin of Bronze makes her unable to fly?
          No.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Mynorin View Post
            The sidebar on meditation in WFHW seems to exclude the ability to speak or carry on a conversation while maintaining meditation ("only Physical or Social actions ... that can be taken while meditating are those that are completely passive on the Exalt’s part" and conversing with beings that would normally harm the Solar by speaking were it not for this Charm). The language in the Solar Integrity Charm Inviolable Essence-Merging seems to indicate that one can speak while meditating when using this Charm (specifically calling out "discussing the nature of Essence and the movement of the stars" and "making enlightened pronouncement on the mysteries of the universe").

Should this Charm be considered an exception to the no-speaking rule that I've inferred, should these particular use-cases be considered exceptions, have I misunderstood the side-bar, or some fourth option that escapes me right now?
            It's not "no speaking," it's "no rolled social actions." Lore and Occult rolls, which Inviolable Essence-Merging enhances, are essentially always going to be mental actions.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Refhi View Post
              What happens when I instill to increase a temporary intimacy granted by a charm or an inspire action?
              Ex. NPC1 have a virtual temporary major intimacy of lust after a successful inspire action : can I make an instill action to make it permanent or increase it to defining or reduce it to minor?

Now NPC2 have a temporary intimacy of friendship thanks to New Friend Aroma (or curiosity thanks to Alluring Scent Technique) can I instill to make it disappear/become permanent/become a major intimacy?

My guess would be that as they are not "real" intimacies they can be used like intimacies for everything *but* instilling to change them?
              They're fair game to be increased with instill rolls, if you can muster sufficient leverage, and once increased, they aren't dependent on the effect that created them to maintain their existence or intensity.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                The first-age Lunars in the Lunar book all have Essence 6. Ma-Ha-Suchi, Raksi and Lillith.

Obviously Leviathan is also from the First Age, but I presume there are other first-age Lunars knocking around (though probably not many, like 10 or something), but who are not as famous.

Are most First-Age Lunars Essence 6, or is it just that Raksi, Ma-Ha-Suchi and Lillith (and maybe Leviathan), and maybe 1 or 2 others (for your game) because they're particularly powerful? And most First-Age Lunars are Essence 5?

(I guess this also applies to Sidereals.)
                Not all First Age Exalted are Essence 6+. Not all of them are even gonna be Essence 5.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Thanks.

I was looking at the Tyrant Lizard today, its Terrifying Dragon Roar.
                  The tyrant lizard unleashes
                  a roar that can be heard for miles, rolling its intimidation
                  pool against all enemies and adding a number
                  of dice equal to its Initiative. Mortal bystanders and natural
                  enemies automatically flee from the roar, as does any
                  enemy whose Resolve is overcome unless they pay a point
                  of Willpower to resist.
                  What does it mean by natural enemies? Anything that's not supernatural?
                  So will, say, all battle groups of humans flee if I use this in a battle?

My characters:
                  Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                  Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                    Once battle is joined, the opponent would be aware that someone is coming for him, even if he doesn't know who they are or where they are.
                    Does this mean it's possible to have a scene where an assassin is using Stalking Wolf Attitude without the opponent rolling Join Battle yet, thus preventing them from knowing they're under threat at that moment?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      Thanks.

I was looking at the Tyrant Lizard today, its Terrifying Dragon Roar.

What does it mean by natural enemies? Anything that's not supernatural?
                      So will, say, all battle groups of humans flee if I use this in a battle?
                      "Natural enemies" is some really poor writing on my part. I believe my intent was "mundane animals that are the tyrant lizard's natural prey," but I just, really did not convey that at all.

Mortals only automatically flee if they're bystanders uninvolved in combat - a battle group fighting a tyrant lizard would still get to assert its Resolve.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Flare View Post

Does this mean it's possible to have a scene where an assassin is using Stalking Wolf Attitude without the opponent rolling Join Battle yet, thus preventing them from knowing they're under threat at that moment?
                        Given that Stalking Wolf Attitude's mechanics are predicated on the scene running in combat time, I don't believe so.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• In the book Tales from the Age of Sorrows, there is a Dragon Blooded who receives a Solar Exaltation. Is that something that is actually possible? If so how would it work mechanically?

Comment

• Originally posted by Epitome View Post
                            In the book Tales from the Age of Sorrows, there is a Dragon Blooded who receives a Solar Exaltation. Is that something that is actually possible?
                            It is not.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Some quick clarifications on Dragon-Blooded.

​1. Water Aspects can breathe water at all times via their anima power without cost, yes?
                              ​2. Do you have to pay the 1 Willpower surcharge to have Life-Swelling Sap Strike destroy undead when you fire it, even if you don't know if the undead will be crashed any time soon by it? After all, the entangling arrow might crash them six rounds from now, but it's an Instant charm that only very slowly drains Initiative.
                              2a. The Wood Aura option to use it with a Decisive attack rather than a gambit means you get the entangling and damage from the attack, yes?
                              3. When the Charms refer to 'arrow', does that mean they cannot be used with firewands? Like, you can't use Drawing Lightning Style to give its damage bonus to a firewand attack? It makes sense for some (Arrow Thorn Technique, say) but not Drawing Lightning Style or Spring Follows Winter.
                              ​4. Is there a limit on how much you can raise your Strength rating to determine if you can do a feat of strength? It's not quite the same as a generic bonus from Charms, since it's not ever used for rolls, just to see if you can make a roll.
                              ​5. Can Precision Observation Method mix dice and successes, or do you need to buy just dice or just successes when you use it?

Comment

• The Voice in the Trench, with how its name is. It sounds very similar to a sobriquet of a Yozi so it makes me wonder. Per chance was the Voice in the Trench a free Primordial like Gaia and Autochthon?
                                Last edited by Iceblade44; 05-09-2019, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X