X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Vance
    started a topic Ask the Devs v2

Ask the Devs v2

It seems that, in my hubris, I've let the original Ask the Devs thread get a bit too long. If y'all wouldn't mind posting any new questions here.

Thread rules
    -Please don't answer another forum user's questions in this thread to avoid clutter. If you quote them then the response will show up in their notifications reardless of where it is.
    -You can quote/link to an instance of a developer answering the same question. It saves them time and lets them focus on newer questions.

Thanks everyone.
    ~Lioness

Last edited by Lioness; 11-14-2019, 06:21 AM.

• Sith_Happens
    replied
    If you aim at medium range and your target moves to short range before you shoot, do you get the +3? (And conversely, if you aim at short and they move to medium do you lose the +3?)

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by Lanic View Post

Is the same true for effects which change dice of raw damage into successes (where they do not explicitly say that these are post-soak successes)?
    Basically, yeah - the conversion applies after the soak conversion.

If the Storyteller wants to change it up and have damage successes/dice conversion count towards soak, that's fine, but I don't think that's the intended procedure.

Leave a comment:

• Lanic
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    They don't really interact with soak at all - they're added directly to the damage roll after the post-soak damage has been calculated.

Is the same true for effects which change dice of raw damage into successes (where they do not explicitly say that these are post-soak successes)?

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by Lanic View Post
    1. How do successes added to your raw withering damage interact with soak? Suppose that some effect adds 3 successes to your withering damage roll (at least one), your raw damage is 15, and that enemy's soak is 16. Do you bypass soak? What happens if the soak is set to be 18? (The last question is because I'd be incline to accept 1 success = 2 soak in which case, you would still be able to get some withering damage bypassing soak).
    They don't really interact with soak at all - they're added directly to the damage roll after the post-soak damage has been calculated.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by Pharsti View Post

Well darn, now I'm confused again.

Specifically in regards the description on pg. 196, it says "Characters cannot move and aim during the same round without some form of magic to permit it."

Does that apply to all movement, or are things like Non-turn Reflexive movement (Disengage, mainly) exempted at all? In the basic scenario I posted (Disengage on Turn 1, Aim on Turn 2, Enemy closes later in same round, before Turn/Round 3), what happens?

1) You can't move because you aimed. No free movement from prior Disengage, you must keep aiming
    2) You can move, but doing so ruins your Aim action, because no moving and aiming in the same round (or, choose not to move, keep Aiming)
    3) You can move, and you are still Aiming (assuming no other range changes due to moving away from target of Aim)

As an added wrinkle, the restriction on movement is in the same round, rather than turn. You wind up in a weird edge case where a low-initiative character aims, the round ends, and at the top of the next round, this scenario plays out, triggering a Disengage-based reflexive move. Assuming your movement options in in some way limited (Option 1 or 2, here), should 'round' be taken as 'from when you take the aim action, until your next turn'?

Apologies if my question is getting a bit pedantic, I wasn't as clear as I thought I was with my original scenario.
    Normally, Aiming means you can't take any kind of move action (basic reflexive move, disengage, rush, whatever). I'd assumed you were referring to a scenario where there's some kind of magic permitting it; sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by Jen View Post
    Is it possible for a soulsteel to...not have any souls in it?
    That would hardly be soulsteel!

And is it a requirement for the soul to be in eternal torment?
    It's not a strict requirement. Figuring out a way to ease the torment of the souls trapped in soulsteel is a thing PCs could try to figure out.

Leave a comment:

• Lanic
    replied
    1. How do successes added to your raw withering damage interact with soak? Suppose that some effect adds 3 successes to your withering damage roll (at least one), your raw damage is 15, and that enemy's soak is 16. Do you bypass soak? What happens if the soak is set to be 18? (The last question is because I'd be incline to accept 1 success = 2 soak in which case, you would still be able to get some withering damage bypassing soak).
    Last edited by Lanic; Yesterday, 03:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

Is it possible for storm gods in other parts of the world to just have different physical and emotional characteristics to storm mothers?

After all, it's not as if storms are the same all over the world; I kind of always assumed the Western storm mothers were a reflection of the kinds of storms one gets in equivalent climates in reality. Gods like storm mothers in the Inland Sea feels odd to me when I kind of expect the Inland Sea to be much more placid even without the intervention of wizards and Immaculates.
    Well, we haven't actually written anything on the subject, so it's up in the air. Certainly you should handle things at your table as you think best for your game.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Is Salamander's Tail Feint (p352/353) activated when someone declares a decisive attack against you, or after suffering damage and deciding to take a crippling injury?
    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; Yesterday, 03:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

My current thoughts are that storm mothers can be found elsewhere, but those in the Inland Sea and the western Dreaming Sea keep their heads down to avoid Immaculate attention. We may have another look at this if it comes up in a future book.
    Is it possible for storm gods in other parts of the world to just have different physical and emotional characteristics to storm mothers?

After all, it's not as if storms are the same all over the world; I kind of always assumed the Western storm mothers were a reflection of the kinds of storms one gets in equivalent climates in reality. Gods like storm mothers in the Inland Sea feels odd to me when I kind of expect the Inland Sea to be much more placid even without the intervention of wizards and Immaculates.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    Originally posted by Jen View Post
    Is it possible for a soulsteel to...not have any souls in it? And is it a requirement for the soul to be in eternal torment?
    Soulsteel is indeed steel made with tormented souls. As with demon summoning, using it or not is intended to be a meaningful, thematic decision for your character. If you allow the creation of soulsteel by other means in your game, I recommend that such alternate methods involve some equivalent sort of irrevocable harm.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Speaking of storm mothers, do the Inland, White, and/or Dreaming Seas have them or only the Great Western Ocean?
    Eric will know better than me, but I don't think they're limited to just the one ocean.
    My current thoughts are that storm mothers can be found elsewhere, but those in the Inland Sea and the western Dreaming Sea keep their heads down to avoid Immaculate attention. We may have another look at this if it comes up in a future book.

Leave a comment:

• Lerinome
    replied
    Hi guys, I had a question about evocations + charms
    Let's say I use Rampage-Berserker Attack (core 282) against an enemy while using Mela's Coil evocation Wind-Rider Swiftness (Arms of the Chosen, 108) and Heaven and Earth Gauntlets evocation Falling Star Fists (AotC 36). We all know how RBA works, but WRS adds dexterity bonus dice to the damage to the first attack and FSF adds strength dice to the damage roll.
    So, how should all of these combined work on the post-soak damage pool?

A) (1 + extra successes to the attack) * (strength x 2 + 10 [HaEG damage] + dex - enemy soak)
    B) (1 + extra successes to the attack) * [(strength x 2 + 10) - enemy soak ] + dex
    C) (1 + extra successes to the attack) * [(strength + 10) - enemy soak] + strength + dex
    D) Any other unexpected way that would require less Maths?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Lerinome; Yesterday, 03:12 PM. Reason: Corrected the soaking calculation

Leave a comment:

• Pharsti
    replied
    Moving doesn't automatically make you lose the Aim bonus - it's only if you move out of your weapon's range.
    Well darn, now I'm confused again.

Specifically in regards the description on pg. 196, it says "Characters cannot move and aim during the same round without some form of magic to permit it."

Does that apply to all movement, or are things like Non-turn Reflexive movement (Disengage, mainly) exempted at all? In the basic scenario I posted (Disengage on Turn 1, Aim on Turn 2, Enemy closes later in same round, before Turn/Round 3), what happens?

1) You can't move because you aimed. No free movement from prior Disengage, you must keep aiming
    2) You can move, but doing so ruins your Aim action, because no moving and aiming in the same round (or, choose not to move, keep Aiming)
    3) You can move, and you are still Aiming (assuming no other range changes due to moving away from target of Aim)

As an added wrinkle, the restriction on movement is in the same round, rather than turn. You wind up in a weird edge case where a low-initiative character aims, the round ends, and at the top of the next round, this scenario plays out, triggering a Disengage-based reflexive move. Assuming your movement options in in some way limited (Option 1 or 2, here), should 'round' be taken as 'from when you take the aim action, until your next turn'?

Apologies if my question is getting a bit pedantic, I wasn't as clear as I thought I was with my original scenario.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X