X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Vance
    started a topic Ask the Devs v2

Ask the Devs v2

It seems that, in my hubris, I've let the original Ask the Devs thread get a bit too long. If y'all wouldn't mind posting any new questions here.

• Jefepato
    replied
    Are Infernal Exalted in 3e going to be able to cast Summon Elemental?

In 2e, Infernals weren't allowed to use that spell due to "incompatible Essence," which was sort of vague, and also didn't really explain why they were barred from that particular spell but not any other spells involving the Gaian elements. (I suspect the Doylist reason was that since Infernal sorcery had fewer restrictions on demon summoning, it needed some kind of balancing drawback, but I don't recall any of the writers of that book commenting on the matter.)

...For that matter, is there going to be anything interesting or unique about Infernal sorcery in general?

Leave a comment:

• Electro
    replied
    Can you use Seven Shadow Evasion to dodge being savaged in a grapple? The core book says that savaging an opponent "applies withering or decisive damage to the grappled opponent without chance of failure or opportunity for defense."

EDIT: never mind, Vance ruled earlier that both Seven Shadow Evasion and Heavenly Guardian Defense work here.
    Last edited by Electro; 09-13-2019, 11:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
    I had a question about the Solar Socialize charms Heart-Eclipsing Shroud and Hundred-Faced Stranger. Hundred-Faced Stranger lets you create customized sets of Abilities for each persona. Now, the charm says that the personas share the charms of the main personality that they meet the Ability prerequisites for. Now, with Hundred-Faced Stranger, it's possible to create a persona with less than 5 dots in Socialize, who would thus not meet the minimums for Heart-Eclipsing Shroud. Heart-Eclipsing Shroud is worded as being permanent, but with a surcharge to switch between personas, including switching back to the "main" personality. Does this mean that if you create a persona with less than 5 dots in Socialize, switching into it means you can't access Heart-Eclipsing Shroud, effectively "losing yourself" inside the persona? Or do you think it's reasonable to say that a persona can always use Heart-Eclipsing Shroud to revert back to the "real" personality, even if they don't have the Socialize dots required?
    Answered in the previous thread.

Originally posted by Robert Vance
    I didn't write the Charm, so I can't speak to intention, but I don't believe it was intended to be possible to lock yourself into a persona that way​.
    But then again...
    ​
    Originally posted by Robert Vance
    I can't speak to the intent behind Charms I didn't write. I believe you're correct - unless you invest five dots in Socialize, you may have to spend some time stuck as Matches Malone until you've gotten enough XP to raise your Socialize high enough and remember that you're Batman.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 09-13-2019, 08:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    Originally posted by LostLight View Post
    Wait.. wasn't it spoiled somewhere that the illicit Exigent were called the "Sovereigns"? Am I imagining things?
    Whoops, it can be hard to keep track of what's been spoiled and what hasn't. So yes, they're the Sovereigns of [REDACTED].

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    Wait.. wasn't it spoiled somewhere that the illicit Exigent were called the "Sovereigns"? Am I imagining things?

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Ah, okay thanks.

Are the other example Exigents like that too, or are they more specific examples? Ie is it Strawmaiden Janest, or Strawmaidens generally?
    Strawmaiden Janest and the illicit Exigent are both presented as specific examples of unique Exigents (although players are encouraged to use the chargen rules to replace those individuals with a new Strawmaiden/Strawlad or [REDACTED] in their games). The Architects and the [REDACTED] are both presented more as general Exigent types, though you'll find specific examples elsewhere — whether Revana Quin in the core book, or the homeland of the [REDACTED] in Across the Eight Directions.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Ah, okay thanks.

Are the other example Exigents like that too, or are they more specific examples? Ie is it Strawmaiden Janest, or Strawmaidens generally?

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    The Architect in the Core book is an Exigent of the City-God of Wu Jian; is the example Architect in the Exigents book also an Exigent of the City God of Wu Jian (or indeed, that particular Exigent from the Core), or a different City God?
    Exigents will present the Architects as a complete (albeit narrow) Exalt type and provide the tools to produce your own Architect from the city of your choice. (Revana Quin will return from the core book for the chapter fiction.)

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
    That's one of the gods associated with the last Exigent write-up in the book.
    Ah, one of the (multiple) gods who created that unstable Exigent? I see.

The Architect in the Core book is an Exigent of the City-God of Wu Jian; is the example Architect in the Exigents book also an Exigent of the City God of Wu Jian (or indeed, that particular Exigent from the Core), or a different City God?

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    I'm guessing that's the black market Exigent.
    That's one of the gods associated with the last Exigent write-up in the book.

Vance said you guys weren't going to use the "Dirty Bomb" terminology, as it's confusing and anachronistic. What's a better way to describe that kind of Exigent?
    We're still finalizing the terminology, but on the table are expressions like "unstable Exigent" or "accursed Exigent."

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Hoho! You're a wicked man Minton.

I'm guessing that's the black market Exigent.

Vance said you guys weren't going to use the "Dirty Bomb" terminology, as it's confusing and anachronistic. What's a better way to describe that kind of Exigent?
    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 09-13-2019, 03:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    Vance and Minton, IIRC the Architects will be Attribute-based. Now we're getting closer (I mean, not really close, but closer) to the publication of Exigents, are you willing to reveal either a)what kind of stat the other 3 example Exigents are based on, or, more exciting, b)besides a city and field god, who (or what kind of) the god(s) of the other two Exigents are?
    I don't think we're quite ready to discuss Karana, Cantata-of-the-Depths, and [REDACTED] yet.

Leave a comment:

• Kelly Pedersen
    replied
    I had a question about the Solar Socialize charms Heart-Eclipsing Shroud and Hundred-Faced Stranger. Hundred-Faced Stranger lets you create customized sets of Abilities for each persona. Now, the charm says that the personas share the charms of the main personality that they meet the Ability prerequisites for. Now, with Hundred-Faced Stranger, it's possible to create a persona with less than 5 dots in Socialize, who would thus not meet the minimums for Heart-Eclipsing Shroud. Heart-Eclipsing Shroud is worded as being permanent, but with a surcharge to switch between personas, including switching back to the "main" personality. Does this mean that if you create a persona with less than 5 dots in Socialize, switching into it means you can't access Heart-Eclipsing Shroud, effectively "losing yourself" inside the persona? Or do you think it's reasonable to say that a persona can always use Heart-Eclipsing Shroud to revert back to the "real" personality, even if they don't have the Socialize dots required?

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Good point...

Vance and Minton, IIRC the Architects will be Attribute-based. Now we're getting closer (I mean, not really close, but closer) to the publication of Exigents, are you willing to reveal either a)what kind of stat the other 3 example Exigents are based on, or, more exciting, b)besides a city and field god, who (or what kind of) the god(s) of the other two Exigents are?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X