X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Vance
    started a topic Ask the Devs v2

Ask the Devs v2

It seems that, in my hubris, I've let the original Ask the Devs thread get a bit too long. If y'all wouldn't mind posting any new questions here.

Thread rules
    -Please don't answer another forum user's questions in this thread to avoid clutter. If you quote them then the response will show up in their notifications reardless of where it is.
    -You can quote/link to an instance of a developer answering the same question. It saves them time and lets them focus on newer questions.

Thanks everyone.
    ~Lioness

Last edited by Lioness; 11-14-2019, 06:21 AM.

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    1e and 2e had Alchemicals who grew large enough to take on city form take on the designation of metropolis/patropolis, depending on whether they were female or male respectively.

What’s the term for a non-binary Alchemical city?

Leave a comment:

• Lerinome
    replied
    Everybody talking about Lunars, and here I am, reading the Solar charms and having questions...
    Let's say a Solar has Heart-Eclipsing Shroud up to Legend Mask Methodology.
    Persona buys a charm that the original character doesn't own.
    Original character buys the same charm the persona bought in the previous line.
    Since every persona knows the charms that the original character knows, would the XP spent on the charm be lost? Reimbursed?
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Sith_Happens
    replied
    Do penalties to “all actions” generally include static values?

Why do mortal siege weapons only deal as much damage as heavy weapons (after taking strength or crossbow/flame tag into account)?

What's the minimum degree of relationship legal/acceptable for marriage in the Realm? Does it vary by social class?

If you drop commitment to Tiger Warrior Training Technique and/or League of Iron Preparation before the training period is done and reactivate them later, can you pick up where you left off or does that restart the clock? Assume I'm only talking about a break of a few days at most, obviously a substantially longer interruption makes it more likely/plausible that you'll have lost progress and have to start over again.

How specific does your question have to be for Cunning Insight Technique or the repurchase of Motive-Discerning Technique? "Does he love anyone" and "Is he a devout Immaculate" both seem pretty clearly valid based on the example given in Cunning Insight, but is "How does he feel about me" valid or do you have to ask (e.g.-) "Does he dislike me" instead?
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 09-09-2020, 01:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Alistair
    replied
    Edit: Doublepost

Leave a comment:

• Alistair
    replied
    Do Charms that reduce Defense such as Finding the Needle's Eye have any effect on clashes?

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by Sasha View Post
    Thank you for your answers to my (numerous) questions! I have a follow up question on this particular answer though:

What is the reasoning behind Flawless Pickpocketing Technique, and by extension, Stealing from Plain Sight Spirit not allowing the theft of artifacts? It seems strange to me that a 'perfectly steal a thing' Charm would impose a restriction on something the mundane pickpocketing action can do by default. I think it would be pretty cool to use Stealing from Plain Sight Spirit to liberate an enemy of their daiklave just before a fight breaks out, but I guess it's intentional that you can't do so for some reason? Would this require a Charm upgrade, or would it somehow be overpowered?
    I did not write them, so I can't speak to intent. I imagine it was to provide greater protection to attuned artifacts, which players are going to generally have invested more in and care more about.

Leave a comment:

• Sasha
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    You don't need a Charm to steal an attuned artifact - you can still just grab it and run, and wait for the attunement to wear off after a day.
    Thank you for your answers to my (numerous) questions! I have a follow up question on this particular answer though:

What is the reasoning behind Flawless Pickpocketing Technique, and by extension, Stealing from Plain Sight Spirit not allowing the theft of artifacts? It seems strange to me that a 'perfectly steal a thing' Charm would impose a restriction on something the mundane pickpocketing action can do by default. I think it would be pretty cool to use Stealing from Plain Sight Spirit to liberate an enemy of their daiklave just before a fight breaks out, but I guess it's intentional that you can't do so for some reason? Would this require a Charm upgrade, or would it somehow be overpowered?

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by Flare View Post
    If a mounted combatant and a flying combatant are fighting, what bonuses of being mounted are lost?

I assume they would not get the +1 bonus to withering attacks or +1 bonus to Defense, would this be correct? So long as the other character is flying, at least?
    I think it makes sense that being on a horse would not offer any combat bonuses against someone who can fly.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by Elkovash View Post
    With a Charm like Dark Premise Duality or Changing Phases Transformation, are you meant to replace lost charms if the Attribute dots are reduced-
    No, you just temporarily lose access until the stat swap ends.

and do you purchase all charms for the dual forms from the one EXP total or should you track them separately?
    All from the same XP total. They don't work like personas.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by Sasha View Post
    I'm having a little bit of confusion imagining how characters perceive their mote pools. I know that Charms and mote pools are abstract representations of a character's prowess, I'm just trying to understand how that abstraction is viewed in-character.

If a character's mote pools are empty, do they know that they can't use any Charms? For example, say a Lunar has completely exhausted her mote pools after a scene of intense debate in which she used many social Charms. Does she know that she can't spend the 4m to turn into a bird to fly home? How does she rationalize her inability to shapeshift until she's spent enough time to replenish some motes?
    It's the same way that you know when your body and mind are exhausted and just can't do [task]. You may not have a meter displaying the exact amount of motes you have left, but you can feel your Essence, and know when you don't have enough.

Related to the above, can characters recognize when they are getting low on motes and make decisions based on the information? For example, say a Solar assassin is engaging in combat against their target and knows they will need to destroy any evidence left behind after the fight. Does the Solar realize that he needs to conserve motes so that he has enough to activate Larceny Charms after the fight if he wants to get away with the murder? If he was planning to escape using his ability to unlock doors with a touch of his finger, what does he think when he needs to choose between using Iron Whirlwind Attack to finish his target off and Lock-Opening Touch to escape because he only has 5m left?
    Yeah.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    1) Normally, the initiative cost for a disarm gambit is paid after the Initiative roll, but since IWG replaces the cost of the gambit with the cost of the charm does that mean the 4i is paid before rolling Initiative? For example, if I use IWG while at 10i, do I roll only 6 dice on the Initiative roll?
    Yes.

2) If the target is wielding paired weapons, does IWG steal both of them or just one?
    Only one.

3) Can IWG be used to steal Artifact weapons that the target isn't currently wielding? For example, if my opponent is using both hands to wield a grand daiklave, but has a short daiklave sheathed at his waist, can I steal the short daiklave?
    I'd allow it.

4) As far as I can tell, IWG is the only Solar charm capable of stealing attuned Artifacts. Can it be used to steal Artifacts outside of combat? Or would that require a custom charm building off of IWG?
    You don't need a Charm to steal an attuned artifact - you can still just grab it and run, and wait for the attunement to wear off after a day.

5) Since IWG turns a disarm gambit into a reflexive action instead of a combat action, does that mean it can be used multiple times in the same round?
    As written, there's no limitation on how often you can use it, but I think the intention was just once, and Storytellers are well within their rights to shut down spamming a bunch of disarm rolls if it's detrimental to the playgroup's experience.

6) Does the disarm gambit still inflict an onslaught penalty?
    Gambits inflict onslaught penalties as usual, as do reflexive attacks.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by Iron Phoenix View Post
    1a) When I savage someone with Iron Whirlwind Attack (which is valid as described by http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...55#post1076188 and http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...53#post1410153), is their defense set to 0 against all attacks, or only the first one?
    All of them.

1b) Invincible Fury of the Dawn allows me to move a single range band to make each attack (which does not consume my movement action), but the grapple gambit says "She can take no other movement or combat actions so long as the grapple persists." Can I still move while using Invincible Fury of the Dawn as a savaging attack, and if so, does my victim come with me?
    No. In order for something to let you move in a grapple, it's gonna have to specify that.

2) Lightning Strikes Twice uses the Exalt's movement action, but states that "it’s possible to move several range bands while chaining multiple uses of this Charm." Does this mean that, as long as I can pay the cost of Lightning Strikes Twice and have met the reset condition, I can chain Lightning Strikes Twice indefinitely?
    Yes.

3) When I use a gambit such as grapple, disarm, or distract, and Clash with my opponent (Clashing gambits appears to be expressly permitted based on Grasping Mantis Defense), what happens if I win the gambit? The Clash rules state "A successful decisive Clash attack adds one additional automatic point of Health Track damage after damage is rolled.", but some gambits (such as disarm or distract) don't roll damage. Does my opponent take an automatic health level of damage anyway?
    Gambits don't receive any specific bonus from winning a clash. If the Storyteller wants to add one, that makes sense.

4) If I Clash a savaging attack with Fervent Blow or a similar Charm while grappled, how does that interact with savage's text that "this attack hits the opponent automatically, even if the character generates 0 successes on the attack roll." Does the contested roll of the Clash supersede the savage rules, or do the savage rules supersede the Clash rules, or can a savage not be Clashed?
    I wouldn't let someone clash a savaging attack, based on that.

[quote]5a) Since savaging attacks "don't care what Ability the initial roll was made with" (http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...49#post1224449) and "you can generally use Simple Charms when you make savaging attacks", can I use Injury-Forcing Technique from Lore as a savage? Do I simply skip to the Initiative roll for the gambit (since the attack roll is automatically successful in a savage)? Note that gambits being allowed as savages is based on this response: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...01#post1341701
    Sure.

[quote]5b) Could Charms such as Craftsman Needs No Tools or Wound-Mending Care Technique (with Instant Treatment Methodology) be used as savaging attacks?
    Simple Charms that don't have you make an attack can't be used as a savaging attack.

5c) Is grapple recursion allowed? Since savages can apply gambits, and grapple itself is a gambit, can I use a grapple gambit on my savaging attack against my grappled opponent to add more rounds of control?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
    I have a question about clashes and parrying. Is a clash considered different from parrying an attack? Can a clash apply to attacks that are not considered parryable? For example, if a Solar Brawler throws an Incarnated Fury Attack (which is both unblockable and undodgeable), can the Lunar she's battling clash with Weapon-Trapping Body Dominion, absorbing the force of the blow and trapping the Solar's fist if the Lunar rolls better than her on the clash?
    A clash is not considered a parry for any purposes.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Should we assume this is something special a neomah (or an Eclipse with this Charm) can do, or does it have to cross its fingers and hope the target has an Intimacy reflecting that information?
    If someone isn't actively in a situation where there intentions would directly relate to that, or doesn't have an Intimacy related to that, the neomah's out of luck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X