Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radiant Basilisc Jewel - what's your Dragon's Pearl?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiant Basilisc Jewel - what's your Dragon's Pearl?

That Dragon-totemed Lunar I want to design could have a Candent Carbuncle over his throat, to evoke the oriental Dragon's Pearl, as well as the "dragon son's human heart in the throat" from the recent Beowolf movie, and the fire-breath enabling Drag-Energist crystals that warriors harvested from dragons in Escaflowne.

It would be especially awesome if a Dragon-Blooded hero one day slays this Lunar and uses (or his ally uses) sorcery to preserve the Hearthstone to socket it or otherwise use it as an ingredient for forging a fiery jade artifact weapon... which the Lunar's next incarnation could reclaim for his own use.

Radiant Basilisc Jewel could also be used to give BlazBlue's Jubei that special Sekkigan "eye" he's always hiding behind his sword-guard eyepatch; probably a Hearthstone with special perception powers.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

A Stone of Hatred is a good fit for any Lunar with a Major or Defining Tie: Dragon-Blooded (Hatred) if not OP.

Comment

Charms like this really make we had more hearthstones. I think the idea of a Mountain-Burden stone is pretty funny.

Rose of Millions is nice for a social character to sniff out intimacies. You could use it to find like-minded intimacies, or find targets for a Sacred Hunt (if you have an intimacy of Love (Yourself)).

Comment

I'll forever have all my Lunars place their Radiant Basilisc Jewels on their forehead, since Kill Six Billion Demons has sold me on how good that looks. Particularly with No Moons, since their caste marks would frame the gems nicely.

As for what Hearthstone, I'm personally thinking of amping up a Key to the Dream Palace to make it a greater hearthstone instead of a standard one. It would fit rather well with the extremely prideful characters I end up playing half the time.

Sorcerer of the Scarlet Throne & Unbound Lunar Demiurge.

Comment

If a Lunar piloted a warstrider, I wonder if they could count their Jewel towards the hearthstone the warstrider needs?

Comment

Other than the Gem of Incomparable Wellness, what other Greater Hearthstones might be too powerful for grown and irremovable stones?

Comment

The Eiderdown Gem is standard rather than greater, but beef it up a little and it would be great for a Lunar obsessed with flying; most likely a Full Moon who invests into both Strength and Dexterity for maximum mobility.

The Far-Seeing Stone seems like a neat choice for a Lunar who grows the stone to fill an empty eye-socket, and it might be more convenient in some ways than the similar Lunar Perception Charm without being completely redundant.

The Gem of Sapphire and Emerald is a great choice for a Lunar who has a major problem with enemy sorcerers, and doesn’t want to bother initiating into sorcery for countermagic.

Gem of Crushing Might for Strength-favoring Lunar Full Moon warriors.

Beef up Ardor-Igniting Gemstone for a Charisma-favoring Changing Moon.

Gem of Perfect Mobility for another max-mobility Lunar, but one with just as much or more emphasis on escaping from fights as chasing down enemies.

The Bloodstone is already Greater, but would need a buff or an alteration to be worthwhile to the Stamina-favoring Lunar who grows it.

Fighting-the-Tide Gemstone is good for a parry-focused Lunar who commonly fights multiple opponents.

Jewel of Hero’s Panoply might work, especially for someone with an artifact prosthetic that’s really important to their character concept.

Key of Mastery, for No Moon sorcerers.

The Blood-Drinking Jewel is better for a body-socketed stone than a grown one, since it enhances other stones in the same socketed Artifact instead of doing anything on its own.

Not sure how useful the Exorcist’s Jewel would be; any Lunar who would grow such a thing likely already has or will learn Lunar anti-spirit Charms.

If Lilith is the foremost master of Martial Arts among the Lunar Exalted, I wonder if she has a Seven Leaping Dragons Stone somewhere in her body.

Stone of One Voice seems like a good fit for a social No Moon or a shamanistic Changing Moon who is dedicated to promoting harmony between the tribes of men and between mortals and spirits.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                The Eiderdown Gem is standard rather than greater, but beef it up a little and it would be great for a Lunar obsessed with flying; most likely a Full Moon who invests into both Strength and Dexterity for maximum mobility.

The Far-Seeing Stone seems like a neat choice for a Lunar who grows the stone to fill an empty eye-socket, and it might be more convenient in some ways than the similar Lunar Perception Charm without being completely redundant.

The Gem of Sapphire and Emerald is a great choice for a Lunar who has a major problem with enemy sorcerers, and doesn’t want to bother initiating into sorcery for countermagic.

Gem of Crushing Might for Strength-favoring Lunar Full Moon warriors.

Beef up Ardor-Igniting Gemstone for a Charisma-favoring Changing Moon.

Gem of Perfect Mobility for another max-mobility Lunar, but one with just as much or more emphasis on escaping from fights as chasing down enemies.

The Bloodstone is already Greater, but would need a buff or an alteration to be worthwhile to the Stamina-favoring Lunar who grows it.

Fighting-the-Tide Gemstone is good for a parry-focused Lunar who commonly fights multiple opponents.

Jewel of Hero’s Panoply might work, especially for someone with an artifact prosthetic that’s really important to their character concept.

Key of Mastery, for No Moon sorcerers.

The Blood-Drinking Jewel is better for a body-socketed stone than a grown one, since it enhances other stones in the same socketed Artifact instead of doing anything on its own.

Not sure how useful the Exorcist’s Jewel would be; any Lunar who would grow such a thing likely already has or will learn Lunar anti-spirit Charms.

If Lilith is the foremost master of Martial Arts among the Lunar Exalted, I wonder if she has a Seven Leaping Dragons Stone somewhere in her body.

Stone of One Voice seems like a good fit for a social No Moon or a shamanistic Changing Moon who is dedicated to promoting harmony between the tribes of men and between mortals and spirits.
                I think some of those are Dependent, which means they require a second hearthstone installed before they start working. It might be worth checking to see how that keyword operates for ones grown in your body.

Comment

Popular locations:

Empty eye socket for replacement eye.

Forehead.

Throat.

Between the clavicles.

Over the heart.

Belly button.

Between the shoulder blades.

Small of back.

Back of one hand.

Comment

Lunar No Moons don't have access to a low Ess auto success adder to their Shape Sorcery like Solars do (Ancient Tongue Understanding), to remedy this I picked Hierophant's Eye for my greater Hearthstone, and since it is dependent, I comboed it with the Swift Strike Stone for free reroll whenever I move in combat (trivial for a falcon no moon attacking from up to Long Range with Flight of the brilliant Raptor).

Comment

Quoted from the Ask the Devs thread

Presumably, it's the keywords that make the Gem of Incomparable Wellness balanced as a Hearthstone. Unless it's less about the stone's general "power level" and more about how its healing interacts specifically with the healing possible with Lunar Stamina Charms.
                      My understanding of the reasoning behind the Gem of Incomparable Wellness being singled out is because you can’t die while it’s socketed in your body and it’s unclear whether a Hearthstone generated by your body can be removed from it. The Linked keyword would be ignored, because there’s no Manse anywhere. The Dependent keyword does count, but if you’ve concealed the Hearthstones at all, they’re explicitly harder to notice than your Tell.

All in all, it makes it it very difficult to kill someone permanently with just two essence 1 charms, instead of an essence 5 charm with a bunch of prereqs.

Whereas if the Hearthstone was just set in an artifact, you could take it from the person’s corpse, no big deal, and maybe force an attunement lapse before they recovered.

Comment

Popular locations:

Empty eye socket for replacement eye.

Forehead.

Throat.

Between the clavicles.

Over the heart.

Belly button.

Between the shoulder blades.

Small of back.

Back of one hand.
                        https://youtu.be/wSaoXwQzHnY

Comment

Originally posted by Snakesandsuns View Post
                          *claps respectfully*

Comment

Kinda reminds me of the days of 2e, having to decide where to put your Skin-Mount Amulet Hearthstone; because of how easily the group's Twilight could produce artifacts, each one of us had at least one hearthstone seemingly sprouting out of his body, and any time we came across a new hearthstone, the Twilight would joke about running out of places to put them.

Comment

How many of you would choose one of those "uncontrollable area-of-effect" type Hearthstones for your Radiant Basilisc Jewel?

I tend to disfavor the notion for a number of reasons.

(1) Eventually, you're going to want the effect to stop for at least a little while, but you can't stop it unless you can remove the stone as a crippling injury.

(2) Highly related to (1), the stone's effects will serve as a calling card that alerts your knowledgeable enemies about when you've managed to escape them, and when you've arrived in their area. And since you cannot turn it off, they might have prepared to take advantage of the effect in some way, or at least figured out how to counter whatever benefit it offers you.

(3) If you chose the Hearthstone because of how it benefits the people of your dominion, you're going to make your dominion more dependent on your presence to survive, and so you're going to be that much more discouraged from ever leaving the area for any length of time. And if you're the kind of person who doesn't care about the comfort of your dominion, and so you come and go frequently and without warning, your dominion is likely to become disgruntled with your unreliability.

Now, I'm not saying that the Charm should never allow these sorts of jewels. I do think choosing one of them presents interesting character and story challenges, and that there are definitely characters who would fittingly generate a Gem of Endless Summer, because they are thoroughly committed to protecting their dominion within the northern-most region of Creation. Because it makes for a good story when that character has to be careful about moving too far in any direction for fear of exposing the crop fields around his territory to deadly cold, much less leaving the area to proactively destroy a threat.

Note that the Greater Earth-aspected Hearthstone, the Earth Shaping Jewel, might appear to be one of these kinds of stones, but it actually has a firm control condition. Only someone who has touched the jewel within the last day can enjoy its effects, and without that there is no automatic, noticeable change to the landscape unless maybe someone can use a Charm like All-Encompassing Sorceror's Sight to detect it.

Standard-level Hearthstones with environmental effects might be upgraded to Greater-level Hearthstones by introducing their own methods of control.
                              Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 03-23-2019, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X