Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radiant Basilisc Jewel - what's your Dragon's Pearl?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, just thinking that Glory Sphere is not bad for cheating out a pseudo Supernal effect (imagine Claws of the Silver Moon at Ess1!) for Lunars (in the event that you don't want something Sorcerously related).

prototype00

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
      Note that the Greater Earth-aspected Hearthstone, the Earth Shaping Jewel, might appear to be one of these kinds of stones, but it actually has a firm control condition. Only someone who has touched the jewel within the last day can enjoy its effects, and without that there is no automatic, noticeable change to the landscape unless maybe someone can use a Charm like All-Encompassing Sorceror's Sight to detect it.
      I'm not sure the Earth Shaping Jewel works for Radiant Basilisc Jewel, since it say the jewel must have been in the same location for at least one full week.

Sitting around in one spot for a week before you can use your hearthstone power doesn't seem great for a Lunar.

"Let us take men and give them the favor of the gods and use them as our champions against the Primordials, that we might overthrow them and play for ourselves the Games of Divinity."

Comment

Originally posted by senresk View Post
        I'm not sure the Earth Shaping Jewel works for Radiant Basilisc Jewel, since it say the jewel must have been in the same location for at least one full week.

Sitting around in one spot for a week before you can use your hearthstone power doesn't seem great for a Lunar.
        It at least has a three-mile radius, but you're right in that spending a whole week remaining within three miles of one spot you want to shape is less than ideal.

The stone's power comes from being able to leave it in one spot for a week and then bring in other people to help work the earth, and being forced to carry it around with you interferes with that.

Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 03-26-2019, 09:19 AM.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Once again, I cannot see a difference between the Linked keyword and the Manse-born keyword.

There's a clear spectrum between Wild-born, Steady, and Linked.

Wild-born: A hearthstone that occurs naturally and which needs no demense or manse to keep existing or functioning.

Steady: A hearthstone that, by virtue of not being Wild-born, only appears from manses, but which doesn't care if the manse continues to function after it is born. This raises questions about what happens if the manse is completely destroyed and a new one is built in its place.

Linked: A hearthstone that requires a manse to be born and will die if the manse ceases to function.

Manse-born seems pointless. If you want to avoid the question raised by the Steady keyword, you could get rid of it entirely, since the Wild-born keyword doesn't need it, and substitute Manse-born for Steady, but that runs into the problem that Manse-born and Linked are completely redundant, so you really just collapse the spectrum down to a "Wild" and "Not-Wild" binary.

Dependent is perpendicular to the spectrum or binary, being compatible with anything.

Comment

Manse-Born means the stone can be either Steady or Linked, but not Wild-Born.

Comment

What would a greater version of the Memory Stone be like? I suppose the most straightforward extension of its power would be the ability to grant perfect clarity to all memories you've ever had, snot simply ones formed while attuned to the jewel. Do you think a minor bonus to Lore would be appropriate or is an "auto-win" at any roll to remember anything good enough on its own?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                Manse-Born means the stone can be either Steady or Linked, but not Wild-Born.
                So what you’re saying is, Wild-born really means Wild-only, and Manse-born really means Manse-only.

They’re not proscriptive, but prohibitive.

Any stone without either keyword can be found in the wild or made with a manse.

But Lunars can form even Wild stones in their bodies despite the prohibition against being born in manses.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post

So what you’re saying is, Wild-born really means Wild-only, and Manse-born really means Manse-only.

They’re not proscriptive, but prohibitive.

Any stone without either keyword can be found in the wild or made with a manse.

But Lunars can form even Wild stones in their bodies despite the prohibition against being born in manses.
                  The specific reading from it is no broken hearthstones. Specifically it really only means gem of incomparable wellness since that gem gives you immortality until someone breaks the manse or the stone.

Comment

Is there any canonical Lunar who has either of these Charms? I didn't read the QCs of the new Lunars very closely, and it doesn't seem like any of the returning favorites have any Basilisc Jewels.

The Charms are so accessible, and the jewels apparently so easily hidden by even the most perfunctory effort to conceal or disguise them, that they should be fairly popular.

Even for just the first Charm, before you get as far as generating your own personal Hearthstone, you could inherit the Hearthstone left behind by your previous incarnation. I mean, as long as it didn't have the Manse-only keyword, it could have been self-sustaining enough to endure past your predecessor's death, so that other Lunars retrieved it and kept using it until the day you returned.

Or maybe your predecessor's killer took the Hearthstone and uses it to fuel their Escaflowne warstrider, leading to a Godzilla versus Mechagozilla battle of titans. Or an Evangelion versus Zeruel battle where this time the monster eats the heart out of the robot.

I'm thinking a cool idea for a Lunar who favors using Towering Beast Form or Mountainous Spirit Expression is a Hearthstone that makes more sense as a Basilisc Jewel than as a normal Hearthstone. "Heart of the Titan", a Lunar-aspected stone that doesn't grant any respiration benefit, but that discounts the costs of assuming and maintaining a Legendary Size form.

As for a cool idea for a Basilisc Jewel being used by a Dragonblooded slayer, you could have the Eye of Thundara; a magical jewel that needs no manse, and might have actually been called an eye when the monster was alive. Maybe it was located in the Third Eye position, or filled the ruined socket of a lost organic eye.

This, of course, would also be a really cool Hearthstone for a Lunar (perhaps lion-totemed) to steal back from his ancient enemy.

Comment

Assuming not so much but the benefit of the Greater Hearthstone is that your extra motes cover the cost of the Legendary Size form, so you don’t need a special Hearthstone for that.

Comment

I could see a sea-monster/fishy pirate lunar taking The Orb of Calm, with the simple alteration that it Does create doldrums.

The Rose of Millions is great for anyone trying to foster insurrections. Dovetails really well with the culture hero and mascot charms.

A common rat (or even an Insect) could wreak absolute havoc with reasonable knowledge of a cities funereal practices and a Walking Corpse Stone. Sure you can only do one at a time, but you have direct and complete control, which opens up all sorts of inheritance issues and emotional exploits.

Ghostly Protection goes great with territory charms.

Between spell-rending talon and gem of Sapphire and emerald, you can absolutely Wreck most sorcerers.

Stone of Hatred seems like a must-have for your general “death to the realm” type berserkers. Absolutely no limitation on how or why you inflict violence on someone you hate. It’s not even dependent. Now, agg isn’t quite as broken as it used to be, but it is still pretty rare, and works well if you want your own particular brand of violence to be unmistakable in its extremity.

And last of all, my own candidate for Most Useless RBJ: Jewel of Heroes Panoply. Not only does it reduce the attunement cost for use of your own body, it’s also dependent, so you need another hearthstone to access this Vital Discount.

Comment

Working...
                        X