No announcement yet.

Lunar Charms you feel are missing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed Vance said they have no such charm in Fangs at the Gate.
    Maybe he'll put it in Many-Faced Strangers.

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

I was going to make the Simpsons joke earlier, and wish for a Charm that let you fight your enemies as a dog with bees in your mouth, so when you bark, you shoot bees at them… but then it turns out there's actually multiple avenues for doing such in just the Dexterity Attribute.

Comment

Shards of the Exalted Dream has a Lunar Appearance Charm that allows a Lunar to instil the product of a Linguistics or artistic Craft action with magic to dictate the impression that an observer gets of the person who produced it. I think that was pretty neat, is actually fitting with the themes of current Appearance, and doesn't seem to deviate with the apparent limitations of their facility for writing or other distant projection.

Back when the comic dropped and we saw Eska's fight with Wandering whatever, I had a notion of a Charm to start off a fight with an intimidating display of changing shape to something more threatening or formidable, which I imagined as some manner of Join Battle bonus. In the current paradigm, I'd probably see it as Charisma, and the shapeshifting aspect would be a Protean benefit on top of some underlying threatening display, I think.

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
        There doesn’t seem to be a “do crafts without tools” charm, which I find odd, since Solars and Dragon Blooded get it and you’d think Lunars could reshape their hands or extrude Moonsilver tools or bleed on the substance and change it or something.
        I don't know, if they were going to have it... probably not like that. Or at least not mandated to be like that.

I feel as though the logic of not readily giving Lunars Charms to function in crafting sans tools is that otherwise it kind of creates an avenue to create products of artifice, including the wholly magical, sans the infrastructure that the System currently denies them.

Pattern-Realizing Genius gives me a picture of a Lunar who needs to sneak into somebody else's workshop in which they can work really quickly and then book it. And they don't need to worry about having made a bunch of other things beforehand, because they're got Charms to give them craft points for stuff like hunting.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

It feels like the Lunar social influence stuff is weighted really heavily towards Instill attempts over the other social action types, and that hurts when you need Bargain or Persuade to actually get people to stuff rather than just feel stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadie View Post
            It feels like the Lunar social influence stuff is weighted really heavily towards Instill attempts over the other social action types, and that hurts when you need Bargain or Persuade to actually get people to stuff rather than just feel stuff.
            Manipulation allows you to make effective bargain actions by offering people literal garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
              I feel as though the logic of not readily giving Lunars Charms to function in crafting sans tools is that otherwise it kind of creates an avenue to create products of artifice, including the wholly magical, sans the infrastructure that the System currently denies them.
              I don't know if it's the late hour but I almost had an aneurysm trying to comprehend your intention here. Are you implying the developers deciding to not give them a charm for ignoring the need for tools is intentional because it gives weight to the infrastructure they no longer have? If so, I could see that as plausible. FWIW I don't mean to sound insulting, I'm just generally disoriented is all.

Personally, I'd like to think it's to leave stunt fodder for creatively using shapeshifting on your own, but this edition seems to frequently drift into the territory of charms enabling actions over just stunting the action like 2E claimed to want.
              Last edited by Aredin; 03-14-2019, 11:05 PM.

Comment

It’d be really nice if the Join Battle attribute had any Join Battle Charms.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                  Shame you can't favor martial arts for your join battle enhancers.

Comment

Originally posted by Aredin View Post
                    Are you implying the developers deciding to not give them a charm for ignoring the need for tools is intentional because it gives weight to the infrastructure they no longer have?
                    I intended it to be a direct statement, but more or less.

Originally posted by Aredin
                    FWIW I don't mean to sound insulting, I'm just generally disoriented is all.
                    Person, about a third of the time when I like back on my own posts, even I can't tell exactly what point I was trying to make with them. It's kind of compulsive, and can be very annoying at times.

For this topic, I feel as though there's a very fine line between something that feels as though it's missing just because there wasn't room for it or it wasn't an idea the writers had, and something missing by design to more thoroughly define Lunar characteristics, their place in the setting, and to make things feel more like Attribute Charms. The latter is something that I personally value a great deal; I'm very intrigued by the game's premise of having these different types of powerful beings alongside each other arranged into a kind of hierarchy of power, and the potential for ways of realising that more interesting than making things weaker across the board or giving them particular things they were bad at.

And... I will leave it at that, because otherwise I will ramble extensively. Long story short, I think what Exalted can't do is just as important as what they can, and Lunars are a good test case for this since they're supposed to be close to Solars, don't really suit the kinds of limits you'd get in Sidereals, and their Attributes have unique opportunities for defining what they don't really do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                      My Join Battle Attribute of Perception (5) has several Join Battle -enhancing charms. 😁

Vance said, when this was pointed out, that he might make some of the JB-enhancers totemic into Wits.

My characters:
                      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by Aredin View Post
                        Shame you can't favor martial arts for your join battle enhancers.
                        All the Join Battle enhancers in Martial Arts are, I think, Essence 1, so you can take them at character creation when favoured/unfavoured doesn't matter.

My characters:

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                          Vance said, when this was pointed out, that he might make some of the JB-enhancers totemic into Wits.
                          That’ll definitely help some... and so would fitting some new, actually-Wits ones into Many-Faced Strangers so Lunars’ only options for Joining Battle good aren’t “Get an attribute-substitutor or have a specific spirit shape.” Just a thought.😗🎵

Comment

All the Join Battle enhancers in Martial Arts are, I think, Essence 1, so you can take them at character creation when favoured/unfavoured doesn't matter.
                            Sure that helps for char gen, but I tend to like picking up some things along the way of the character's journey, and while I won't claim to be a majority I surely don't believe I'm alone in that regard.

Developing a trait that gives you better combat reflexes(ie. Join Battle rolls) should be a fairly simple task for the splat of the wild, adaptable, and constantly evolving Lunars. Nudging them into a direction of covering all bases up front tarnishes the luster of their appeal. They should be able to grow into new tricks like they grow into new forms. Even if the new tricks take a while to fully master, the root of the tree should be in easy reach with a modest amount of forethought.

Comment

But that would also obligate characters to put some of their starting dots into Martial Arts, which apart from being something I thought we didn't want Lunars to feel as though they had to do anymore, also requires them to put a dot into Brawl and purchase a four-dot Merit.

The Merit one is probably the most burdensome, but on principle it feels like a not particularly satisfying workaround.

Comment

Oh, sure. I was just responding to the point about you being unable to favour them.

Personally, I feel that Lunars have enough Join Battle enhancers; it's not something I think there should be lots of charms for. At least, in terms of getting more successes (as opposed to doing stuff like hiding while rolling JB, or intimidating while rolling JB).
                                And I'm not terribly fussed about them being in Perception. But then, as I tend to play characters with Perception 4-5 and Wits 2-3, I may be biased.

My characters:

Comment

Working...
                                X