• Show
Clear All

• Charm concept: Stealing God's Flame

Stealing God's Flame
    Cost: -; Mins: Occult 4, Essence 1
    Type: Permanent
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisites: Terrestrial Circle Sorcery

Sorcerers are thieves, stealing fire from the gods and lightning from the heavens. Purchasing this charm allows her to initiate into an additional sorcerous archtype, gaining a shaping ritual and access to associated merits.

This charm may be purchased up to Occult times.

My Storyteller Vault releases!
    Sorcerous Ways: Mystic Martial Arts - Punch people for magic power!
    These Mean Streets - Advise and systems for street-level punk-noir Vampire larp

Originally posted by wastevens View Post
    Stealing God's Flame
    Cost: -; Mins: Occult 4, Essence 1
    Type: Permanent
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisites: Terrestrial Circle Sorcery

Sorcerers are thieves, stealing fire from the gods and lightning from the heavens. Purchasing this charm allows her to initiate into an additional sorcerous archtype, gaining a shaping ritual and access to associated merits.

This charm may be purchased up to Occult times.
    Is this a solar charm? If so I’d make it require some kind of interaction with something (like perhaps being purchasable after stealing charms from an entity using occult charms or something else— just blueskying) and maybe allow each purchase to grant one new control spell as well appropriate to that source. Paying a full charm cost for a single ritual alone feels a bit weak and the stackable feature feels like it might be exploitable.

Comment

Oh, you don't need a Charm to do this. It's just... how sorcery works.

I'll try and track down the post in the Devs thread where Vance said so outright.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
        Oh, you don't need a Charm to do this. It's just... how sorcery works.

I'll try and track down the post in the Devs thread where Vance said so outright.

... wait, really?

That makes the 'you get a shaping ritual' bit in Celestial Circle and Solar Circle Sorcery seem kinda pointless.

Comment

... wait, really?

That makes the 'you get a shaping ritual' bit in Celestial Circle and Solar Circle Sorcery seem kinda pointless.
          You get additional ritual with those circles.

Comment

Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
            You get additional ritual with those circles.

But from what Levi just said, you can just get additional rituals, period.

Comment

But from what Levi just said, you can just get additional rituals, period.
              The core makes this a bit vague but it does imply its theoretically possible

Comment

... wait, really?

On page 466 there is a little redish box in the bottom left corner that states:

"If the character has used his sorcerous power to make pacts with spirits, create great strongholds of knowledge, or transcend the mental confines of petty humanity, then it’s entirely fitting for him to gain rituals that reflect those achievements."

It is something your character earns in play, there doesn't appear to be mechanics around it. The charms give you a bonus one you don't have to earn in play, which I think learning a whole new level of power qualifies as 'transcends the mental confines of petty humanity' but that is just my interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakesandsuns View Post
                  On page 466 there is a little redish box in the bottom left corner that states:

"If the character has used his sorcerous power to make pacts with spirits, create great strongholds of knowledge, or transcend the mental confines of petty humanity, then it’s entirely fitting for him to gain rituals that reflect those achievements."

It is something your character earns in play, there doesn't appear to be mechanics around it. The charms give you a bonus one you don't have to earn in play, which I think learning a whole new level of power qualifies as 'transcends the mental confines of petty humanity' but that is just my interpretation.
                  That seems to be the intent, given Robert Vance's response in Ask the Devs

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post

You can't purchase additional shaping rituals as Merits. You can obtain them in the course of play. Using artifice to create sorcerous relics is the one method of doing so discussed in the core (on page 470), and I'd recommend Storytellers use that as a point of comparison when deciding the difficulty and investment required to obtain a new one.

Comment

Working...
                  X