Updating a Wyld-Dwelling Culture to 3E and Playability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating a Wyld-Dwelling Culture to 3E and Playability

See, I actually really like a lot the stable Wyld locations in 2E, the problem was that they weren't expanded on enough to be anything more than a pit stop. With Lunars: Fangs at the Gate fully posted, I feel like actually playing an emissary of the Wyld folk who wants to stake a claim for his people in Creation proper as the Time of Tumult's dreams make the Middlemarches too dangerous for his people. More specifically, I want to play as one of the Whale and Sky People civilizations who Exalted as a Lunar and is now allied with Admiral Leviathan to get at the secrets of Luthe, where he hopes he can modify his peoples' homes and beasts into forms capable of thriving outside of the rim.

The original version is that his culture revolves around the Whale Islands, great cetacean behemoths that constantly uptake water and then blow it out, supporting an archipelago of floating islands. The Sky People are mostly baseline humans who tend to the fertile grounds on the islands, and the Whale People are mutants who need both the fruit grown by the Sky People and whale blubber to digest things properly, and it's they who give fruits to the whales themselves to help them through lean times (in the original writeup, the Sky People are also voracious cannibals, but that's being tossed out; I'm leaning towards it being a slanderous myth, but I can see the appeal of showing how weird Wyld cultures get if it's just how their enemies and the few Realm explorers they've met interpret funeral rite to help the spirit of a non-native to a particular island who died on it for other reasons find her way home, an extension of the Whale People's own beliefs about whale blubber; if the Sky People don't want to eat your corpse, that means they're dissing you). I'm trying to figure out how their culture evolved and what they're like beyond "people who drive whales around."

EDIT: I'm thinking a good start is that they really don't let themselves get angry. It's too dangerous in the hyperpsychoactive Western Wyld. This causes them to come of as more stoic and placid than they really are (it's not that they aren't angry, they just calm themselves down quickly - or let it fester as grudges). They regard the Deep Wyld as the "Far Sea"; an adventurer there can find wonders and strange power to help the Two Peoples, but it's more likely that you'll lose something important. Identity and remembering where you come from are very important concepts to them.
    Last edited by Leliel; 03-13-2019, 02:00 PM.

Like many nomadic peoples, the Whale Islander culture is going to be shaped by their associated animal's migration patterns. IRL, whales dwell at different latitudes at different times of the year, so you can have their culture shift depending on whether the whales are in the northwest or southwest.

Comment

Originally posted by HamSandLich View Post
      Like many nomadic peoples, the Whale Islander culture is going to be shaped by their associated animal's migration patterns. IRL, whales dwell at different latitudes at different times of the year, so you can have their culture shift depending on whether the whales are in the northwest or southwest.

*facepalm*

Why didn't I think of that? I can see them being pretty good architects (the Sky Dwellers, anyhow; they do migrate, but their lands move with them so they can build stable structures, though never especially heavy ones), but they're still nomadic. I can see them having a cyclic monarchy, of sorts; the Whale People rule the combined tribe in the North, as the Sky huddle for warmth and the whale needs help finding food, and the Sky in the South, as the Whale find themselves weathering the currents and the island farms approach harvest time and questions of distribution and steering the whale into favorable climates for the crop.

Also a little but I am keeping from Splinters without much alteration; the Islanders believe that Island Whales (which need a better name, actually; maybe the Balhut, after Bahamut) are not born with souls, so when the whales calve, especially "pure" people will feed themselves to the newborns so that the young will get their own and develop a better identity bulwark against the Wyld and thrive. I have it that these martyrs become the source of the names of Balhut who grow big enough to support new tribes and are revered as patron ancestors (and may or may not be able to talk with the people on their patron behemoth whale). In fact, the idea I had is that my character Exalted when he noticed the calves in the most recent spawn were highly mutated (in the sense of having birth defects, not normal Wyld mutations, which is normal and gives each Balhut its own personality), and interrupted the rites of self-sacrifice before anyone could jump in the mouth of whales who would likely die of congenital heart problems within the season - and was backed up in his interruption by Luna, who appeared long enough to convince the upset elders to at least wait a bit before exiling him. Sure enough, time proved him right, but given how every calf in that particular brood died, it became clear that the Wyld was turning toxic to the Balhut and the Islanders needed to move to bluer seas.

Comment

Working...
      X