Exalted Novels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exalted Novels

Who has read either Of the two new 3E novels (circle of protection/False Images) what did people think. Was considering buying one for a flight I’m going to go on was looking for recommendations between the two.

I'm almost finished with Circle of Protection. I've enjoyed it so far! It's basically CSI: Sidereals. The Circle of Protection is a circle of five Sidereals and they're tasked with tracking down rogue Exigents that turn into horrifying abominations called Black Flags. It's mostly from the perspective of Palym, a young woman from an outlying village travelling to Great Forks for the first time, who gets entangled with the Circle early in the book. They spend lots of traveling across Creation as well as spending a good deal of time in Yu-Shan. It's a great primer for people who are interested in 3e's Sidereals.

I'll be starting False Images as soon as I'm done. I can't imagine too many have read it yet, though, as it just came out yesterday.
    Last edited by Jade-Wrought Sunfire; 03-14-2019, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jade-Wrought Sunfire View Post
      I'll be starting False Images as soon as I'm done. I can't imagine too many have read it yet, though, as it just came out yesterday.
      Backers of the original EX3 kickstarter got their early pdfs a good month or so back, so probably a decent number of people have at least started it, if not finished it.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post

Backers of the original EX3 kickstarter got their early pdfs a good month or so back, so probably a decent number of people have at least started it, if not finished it.
        I stand corrected!

Comment

I have yet to read False Images but I have to say I didn't really like CoP. Half of the book the eponymous Circle is just going to a site of destruction, gaining little to no information, and then just waiting for something else to blow up in between some internal drama. The twist antagonist is obvious pretty early on, and their plan kind of relies on everyone else being incredibly inept (which they are, to be fair).

That said, CoP is the first actual look we've had at so-called black market Exigents, which is kind of neat I suppose. I just wish they weren't all essentially near-mindless kaiju.

Comment

I've finished both. Of the two, I liked False Images more. It's about a Night Solar and an Exigent. Circle of Protection is about five Sidereals and an Exigent. Personally, I'm just not really a big fan of Sidereals. Just my .01 cents worth.

Comment

Circle of Protection has some flaws. I didn't care much for most of the supporting cast, there was a lot of awkard exposition at some points, and I'm hopeful that it's depiction of black-market Exigents only ends up being a very limited subset of them rather than what most of them are like because I really didn't care for it. Also, as a personal note, I'm not fond of "Exalt" as an in-setting term on the basis of it sounding too casual and generic for a diverse array of demi-god heroes. With that said, they took one of the short stories from the anthology that I really didn't care for (for all the reasons listed above) and created a novel that I can honestly say I enjoyed. The main character and her friend are genuinely likable, and the plot makes some of the things I didn't like in the short story at least make more sense. I would rate it as middling quality, but still slightly above average for media tie-in fiction.

However, I'm only about halfway through False Images at the moment, and I am loving it. It's well written, and is handling it's multiple plot threads well enough to keep me very interested in finding out what will happen next!

Comment

Working...
              X