Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by autXautY View Post

Judging Sacred Hunt charms by how easy they are to give someone your form
    Heart-Drinking Allure: Very easy to give your form to someone you have a major+ tie of love or lust towards, you may not want to form such a tie just to give someone your form.
    Debt of Borrowed Skin: Straight-forwardly bargaining for a shape. Sets a minimum price of Serious or Life-Defining task, and needs to be a service rather than a good.
    Nest-Raiding Slyness: Forming a negative intimacy as part of your sale is probably bad for business
    Blood-Geas Binding: Explicitly disallows making oaths for the purpose of granting shapes.
    Argent Trickster's Rook: Let's you bet on a form, but no easy way to trade one. Possibly agree to partake in unbalanced gambling in exchange for a form?
    Face-Taker's Gaze: Requires a week and forming a defining intimacy they have, but works fairly well.
    Whispering Heart Revelation: Requires finding out a serious secret, but if you want the form of someone who trusts you they might be willing to help you. Arguably as long as they wouldn't publicly reveal the secret it's all right if they aren't keeping it from you, or aren't especially. Still complicates and kind of impersonal bargaining.
    Hero's Heart Challenge: Challenging someone to a contest you know you're better at seems to be fair game, as long as they try their best to win. You need to form a major tie of respect, but that seems like it matches being business partners better than love/lust.
    Terrifying Predator Consumption: Needs a tie of fear in the victim, needs a fight but a nonlethal one. Poor for bargaining, though you could use it to threaten a form out of someone.
    Stalking Nightmare Hunter: Also needs a tie of fear, so, similar to TPC.
    Moonlit Path Guide: Takes a week, must have some peril but the descriptions all seem easily beatable by an exalt or two. Needs major change and character development, which could be tricky.

Which is best probably depends on time frame, the nature of your relationship, and how much abuse of rules the players are willing to engage in.
    Sounds like Debt of Borrowed Skin, where you essentially say "I'll do Task X in return for your shape", is the most straightforward, especially taking the charms the way they're intended to be.

I play...
    Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
    Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

I can see a way that Infernal Exalted could do something like this in a distinct way, and put their own twist on it, in a way that plays into their Shintai mechanic.

Malfeas Charms are strongest at exerting force when you openly display exactly who and what you are. Being at Dim anima level and wearing a disguise robs them of their full power, and using the strongest of them instantly flares your anima to the point where disguise is impossible.

Szoreny Charms are strongest when you are disguised as the person you're currently mirroring, and the strongest of them only work when mirroring someone.

Ebon Dragon Charms are strongest you are shadowing someone (not trying to take their place or compete with them like Szoreny, but trying to bring their greatest fears and secrets into the open).

In a way, this works like Terrestrial Auras. An Infernal CAN mix and match the miracles of the Yozi to a degree, but getting the most out of any one super-villainous archetype reduces or forbids access to the others in that moment.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
        It's interesting, because Sidereals have also withdrawn into the background a fair amount
        Fittingly, I had forgotten about the Sidereals when I compared the Lunars to "all other Exalted".

I will be very interested to see the contrasts and similarities in their two charmsets.
        The Sidereal Exalted have never had much to do with theft, and certainly not to the extent of the Lunar Exalted.

On that note, I hope that if they keep their ability to steal names, it actually means something in Third Edition. I don't know what Second Edition did with it, but First Edition left too much open to interpretation and imagination.

That does put an interesting face on things for the First Age though. If you saw an Exalt on a daily basis, it was probably a Dragon Blooded functionary
        I'll echo someone else's sentiment that Dragon-Blooded were rulers with no higher authority as often as they were lesser rulers under a Celestial authority.

And, of course, you heard the tall tales about the Wolf who eats bad children and Tiger who brings them back and the Fox who seduces married people away from their spouses before eating their livers, but you don't believe them, Why would you put any stock in those obviously made up tales. *laughs nervously*
        That does bring up the point that a Lunar could have many famous identities among a society without any of those identities being linked to each other or known as a Lunar Exalt.

Anyway, the point is that, during the First Age, people knew the DBs, they knew of the Solars and the occasional Exigent or other Exalt, but the Lunars and Sidereals seem like they tended to stay more in the background, being encouraged to let themselves become legends even before the Usurpation made it necessary.
        Which, of course, made it easier for the Sidereals to disappear completely from the world, and to rebrand the Lunar Exalted as Anathema.

Comment

Can you take the shape of somebody that's currently being impersonated by a Lunar? Because that would be hilarious.

The Lunar-Satrap imposter wakes up to find another copy of herself, supposedly standing terrifyingly above her bed, with her form's bodyguards dead and slumped against the walls. Then she lets her shape return to her true form and the new Lunar imposter's jaw drops, sputtering out "A-angaran? What are? But I was gonna! Hahahaha-HA!" then they have a big laugh about it and discuss who's actually going to take the place, maybe they could take turns, ect.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
            Can you take the shape of somebody that's currently being impersonated by a Lunar? Because that would be hilarious.

The Lunar-Satrap imposter wakes up to find another copy of herself, supposedly standing terrifyingly above her bed, with her form's bodyguards dead and slumped against the walls. Then she lets her shape return to her true form and the new Lunar imposter's jaw drops, sputtering out "A-angaran? What are? But I was gonna! Hahahaha-HA!" then they have a big laugh about it and discuss who's actually going to take the place, maybe they could take turns, ect.
            Yep. I've done that before.

I play...
            Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
            Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

*insert Sesus Rafara comic*

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

This is why you show up to council meetings.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Can you take the shape of somebody that's currently being impersonated by a Lunar?
                  If the first Lunar left the target alive, then yeah, two or more Lunars could steal the same face.

Oh, man. Imagine being someone important enough that multiple Lunars turn up to steal your face, but you're also such a swell guy that they all decide to leave you alive, and the Major Tie they each form for you is positive.

You could make a harem anime out of that premise.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                  This is why you show up to council meetings.
                  This is undoubtably the sort of comedy of errors that the Silver Pact loves to pass around at storytime. Variations include, "How dare you kill that guy whom I deliberately spared! I liked him!"

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                  *insert Sesus Rafara comic*
                  Thank you for offering an interpretation which makes that comic a little less head-ache inducing.

Comment

Really, why was that comic even in there.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                      Really, why was that comic even in there.
                      It's better than the one referencing Misery.

Comment

Which book was that comic in?

Comment

The Sesus Rafara one, or the Misery one?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                            The Sesus Rafara one, or the Misery one?
                            Oh both, I didn't know they were in different books. I SHOULD have every 1e and 2e book around here...somewhere.

Comment

The powers of the Lunar Exalted are fundamentally transgressive and dishonest in a way I’m not always comfortable with.

That’s a good thing! It sets them apart and accentuates their unique experience and themes, and provides an important contrast to the dishonesty of the Sidereals and the transgressiveness of the Abyssals and Infernals.

It makes the Solar Exalted more distinct. I appreciate the Solar Exalted even more now for being fundamentally more forthright in their powers, and how much easier they can be heroic while being sincerely themselves.

And of course I love the Terrestrial Exalted for being humbler, easier to challenge, more society/brotherhood oriented, hereditary and dynastic, fathers passing down legacies to sons, and balancing five different elemental powers.

Now that the Lunar Exalted are finally a properly defined thing, I more fully appreciate all three splats. The Lunars were a painfully missing contrast in previous editions.

The Lunars aren’t everything I’m ever going to want, and that’s good, because they can’t be everything without becoming nothing. Now they provide what Solars and Dragon-Blooded can’t while enhancing Solars and Dragon-Blooded by their inability to be either of them in return.

Comment

The Sesus Rafara one was in Manual: Dragon Blooded.

The one where a wounded Panther is being tended to by a weird fan while tied to a bed is in Scroll of Heroes.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                                Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
                                X