Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liars, Cheaters, and Thieves - new Lunar themes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
    The powers of the Lunar Exalted are fundamentally transgressive and dishonest in a way I’m not always comfortable with.

    That’s a good thing! It sets them apart and accentuates their unique experience and themes, and provides an important contrast to the dishonesty of the Sidereals and the transgressiveness of the Abyssals and Infernals.

    It makes the Solar Exalted more distinct. I appreciate the Solar Exalted even more now for being fundamentally more forthright in their powers, and how much easier they can be heroic while being sincerely themselves.

    And of course I love the Terrestrial Exalted for being humbler, easier to challenge, more society/brotherhood oriented, hereditary and dynastic, fathers passing down legacies to sons, and balancing five different elemental powers.

    Now that the Lunar Exalted are finally a properly defined thing, I more fully appreciate all three splats. The Lunars were a painfully missing contrast in previous editions.

    The Lunars aren’t everything I’m ever going to want, and that’s good, because they can’t be everything without becoming nothing. Now they provide what Solars and Dragon-Blooded can’t while enhancing Solars and Dragon-Blooded by their inability to be either of them in return.
    Hugs

    also I just for my prospective I think you might have changed a bit where you're okay with the idea of an entire slat one degree or another being scoundrels. Sort of righteous Scoundrels but still scoundrels.
    glad that this is making you happy
    I'm just going to wait till I get all my publishing through the kickstarter Rewards. But mainly got curious as to what everybody was talking about him what you're doing over here and nice to see what's going on

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Darmani View Post
      also I just for my prospective I think you might have changed a bit where you're okay with the idea of an entire slat one degree or another being scoundrels.
      I think you make a lot of assumptions about me, which is why you seem to be frequently surprised by what I say.


      Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

      My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
        I think you make a lot of assumptions about me, which is why you seem to be frequently surprised by what I say.
        It's true I do make assumptions based on what you write about the things that you care about. For instance at one point you wrote entire fictional piece about a cow lunar refusing to go to her solar mate because a sidriel was threatening to completely undermine her kingdom. At the time you were frustrated that the lunars were not intervening on the regular if not in order to save the world than to help The solars
        Last edited by Darmani; 05-31-2019, 06:56 PM.

        Comment


        • #34
          I was gonna disagree with this rhread’s thesis but then I remembered my current Lunar is a full moony full moon who full moons as a mammoth man and is a full moon,

          And still like, half his plots involve going in disguise, sneaking into buildings, and general subterfuge.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Maseiken View Post
            I was gonna disagree with this rhread’s thesis but then I remembered my current Lunar is a full moony full moon who full moons as a mammoth man and is a full moon,

            And still like, half his plots involve going in disguise, sneaking into buildings, and general subterfuge.

            It's ok, Conan though the archetypal barbarian in the eyes of many does a crapload of both too, you know...

            Comment


            • #36
              Yeah. It's not that Lunar Exalted HAVE to lie, cheat, and steal...

              ...but it's so easy, and makes their lives so much easier.


              Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

              My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

              Comment


              • #37
                Yep, being sly and discreet is built into Lunars, they are chosen from Luna after all, their her champions so its something they have talent in. Same as how Solars are so in your face, because thats how they are. They can be discreet to but all lot of their themes is about being center stage even as they steal everyones hats.


                .

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                  Yeah. It's not that Lunar Exalted HAVE to lie, cheat, and steal...

                  ...but it's so easy, and makes their lives so much easier.
                  You know, there's another game that WW made, which is related to Lunars, where characters have an in-built capacity to do something easier, but I wouldn't say that using it all the time makes the lives of the characters easier. Quite the opposite, really, as it tends to mire them in one complication or another if turned against the wrong target. Now, using shapeshifting tends to result in way less permanent grudges from survivors, but actions influence who ends up associating with you, so I'd imagine that Lunars that end up using shapeshifting for subterfuge might find that the consequence is that no one wants them around, not even other Lunars.

                  Also, from a broader perspective, it makes a lot of other things easier. Living off the land, taking shelter in inaccessible areas, keen senses used to track or spot pursuers before they find you... I'm more of a mind to emphasize staying alive in lieu of deceit, even if the latter does occasionally play into the former. I don't like viewing Lunars as "yin to Solar yang", though, since the associations tend to play more into Abyssals. Especially in how yin is the seat of passions, which are strongly associated with the ghosts that Exalted took whole from Wraith.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Lunars this edition feel like a compliment to sidereals, in the same way Solars are to dragon blooded and that’s a comparison that stuck with me a bit


                    The Book of Laughing Serpents, Vol 1,Vol. 2,,Vol 3; Vol 4; Vol 5 , Vol 6
                    Many Limbed Manual
                    Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                    San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here
                    My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Saur Ops Specialist View Post
                      You know, there's another game that WW made, which is related to Lunars, where characters have an in-built capacity to do something easier, but I wouldn't say that using it all the time makes the lives of the characters easier.
                      You have to be talking about werewolves, but your words still make no sense.


                      Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

                      My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I assume Saur Ops Specialist means doing things in Crinos, because of the stat bonus? Ie you can do things in Crinos, you'll have more stats, but it causes a lot of issues compared to doing things in human form.



                        My characters:
                        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
                        Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                          I assume Saur Ops Specialist means doing things in Crinos, because of the stat bonus? Ie you can do things in Crinos, you'll have more stats, but it causes a lot of issues compared to doing things in human form.
                          I have no idea what the Crinos war form has to do with lying, cheating, or stealing. It’s huge, blatant, hard to miss, impossible to ignore, leaves a huge mess, and leaves the werewolf more prone to going uncontrollably berserk and making all of that worse.

                          Neither is the form’s performance in any way empowered by committing acts of deception, larceny, or fraud.

                          Neither is Deadly Beastman Transformation, but I wasn’t talking about that one specific Lunar Charm. I was talking about a new theme expressed in a large portion of their Third Edition Charmset.
                          Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 05-31-2019, 11:25 AM.


                          Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

                          My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post

                            I have no idea what the Crinos war form has to do with lying, cheating, or stealing. It’s huge, blatant, hard to miss, impossible to ignore, leaves a huge mess, and leaves the werewolf more prone to going uncontrollably berserk and making all of that worse.
                            It makes something easier, just as The Wizard of Oz said. Specifically, violence, which escalates situations. Deceiving people, in this case with shapeshifting, also escalates situations when it comes to light; it may take a bit of time to connect the dots, but one slip up in an intricate web of lies, and you get the same degree of alienation of allies, gains to what would have been common enemies, and loss of territory that you get with Crinos rampages. Both are the stuff of which tragedy is made. Tragedy is usually something that's pretty common in Exalted, granted, but if you go all in on that train and never apply the brakes, the resulting wreck is going to be obvious to everyone watching.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Saur Ops Specialist View Post
                              It makes something easier, just as The Wizard of Oz said.
                              This thread is very specifically concerning the ways in which deception and larceny empower and enable the abilities of the Lunar Exalted, in a way that Solar Charms are not.

                              Since this doesn't apply to DBT, this thread is pretty war form agnostic.


                              Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

                              My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                                This thread is very specifically concerning the ways in which deception and larceny empower and enable the abilities of the Lunar Exalted, in a way that Solar Charms are not.

                                Since this doesn't apply to DBT, this thread is pretty war form agnostic.
                                Yes. The point about Crinos was in how harmful means get incentivized and characters thus end up harming themselves in the long run by using them frequently. This is the very definition of not making life easier for said characters, which was the point I was contending. Sidereals are in that boat; the only reason their lives don't get more complicated from lying to people about this and that in order to use Charms or descending destinies is that people forget that they exist in the first place.

                                After all, the comeuppance that a trickster receives once the dust settles is usually of the brutally harsh type. But if you're willing to risk being bound in place for an age while a magic snake drips venom into your eyes unceasingly, hey, go for it. Maybe you'll get put next to the monkey under the mountain and have someone to talk to until he's up for parole.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X