I'm starting a new game soon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm starting a new game soon

So I haven't run a game since 2e, but I have a few friends who've either played no TTRPGs before or just a bit of D&D, so I thought I'd introduce them to something sublime and start an Exalted campaign. There's a couple of things I wanted to check before character creation though.

One player is real keen to play an Ebon Shadow stylist. I've been brushing up on the stealth in combat rules, but I don't really understand how stealth interacts with rushing/disengaging. I assume you have to disengage before attempting a stealth attempt (which has a -3 penalty in combat), but the corebook also specifies that characters in stealth can't take rush actions. Am I wrong? Or do you just have to flurry surprise attacks with a rush?

Also, how are you all keeping track of what's been released? I didn't know about Arms of the Chosen until ages after it was released, when another player in one of my games was talking about the specialties she needed to pilot a warstrider and I was like "wait, what?" Is there any setting info released yet, beyond what's in the corebook & splatbooks? I love the look of the Dreaming Sea and I'm real keen to use it, but there are a lot of blanks to fill in and I don't want to define a bunch of stuff in my game and then find it's incompatible with the canon setting. I only want to reject canon knowingly.

Keeping track of things is actually pretty easy once you know where to look. First and foremost Monday Meeting Notes allow you to keep tabs on where the books are in their development as well as giving you an approximate date once they're about ready to come out. They also mention when its the week for the release of a new 100 Devils Night or Adversaries of the Righteous. The lesser option is just paying attention to the forum since there's a fair amount of discussion that'll come up regarding bigger things. Its isn't a guarantee on advance notice, but you tend to find out rather promptly afterwords.

As for setting stuff, well we're on backerdraft of the Dragonblood book, you're probably fair to argue the Lunar manuscript as not canon for your table at the time since its only in the backer manuscript and while I doubt it will suffer any extreme revisions it is still early enough to be more of a pain to look into than you might want. But Arms is the only big book I can think of that is out right now that has extra information baring the bits and pieces from Adversaries and 100 Devils.

I'll need to recheck for the rules on the rush question.

Good luck with the game.
    Last edited by nalak42; 03-17-2019, 11:39 PM.

Comment

The Realm and Dragonblooded are expected to be out to the general public shortly, which should include some info on at least Prasad's area of the Dreaming Sea region. Another thing you can do to keep track of releases is to sign up for notifications for Onyx Path releases on DriveThruRPG. It's been a while since I set it up so I don't remember the exact process, but the emails are titled "Follow your favorites"

Comment

Thanks, I'll go look them up. I do have the pdf for What Fire has Wrought, and I backed the Lunars one to get that too. I'm really hanging out for detailed writeups of some of the new 3e locales, though.

I'll go check DriveThruRPG out too, that's bound to be helpful.

Comment

While The Realm might be able to answer some questions about Prasad, you'll likely have to wait for Across the Eight Directions to get a more complete view of the Dreaming Sea . It's going to be a spiritual successor to Scavenger Sons from 1e, and, along with The Realm, should be the go-to sourcebook for all questions about lands in Creation in 3e.

The bad news is that it is currently in first draft, so we may not see it until next year sometime, possibly not until after Lunars has been fully released.

Comment

I’m not understanding the mechanics that you’re asking about here too well.

Firstly, I actually don’t think you do need to flurry a disengage with an attempt to find cover, and also why would you need to flurry a rush with a surprise attack?

Comment

Originally posted by Jade-Wrought Sunfire View Post
              The bad news is that it is currently in first draft, so we may not see it until next year sometime, possibly not until after Lunars has been fully released.
              Well, at least it's in development. I have a couple of ideas for things that can happen before diving into the Sea, and this might end up being a once-a-month thing, so maybe it'll still come out in time.

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
              I’m not understanding the mechanics that you’re asking about here too well.

Firstly, I actually don’t think you do need to flurry a disengage with an attempt to find cover, and also why would you need to flurry a rush with a surprise attack?
              Sorry, maybe I'm being unclear, or maybe I'm misunderstanding some key detail about combat mechanics. I'm guessing an attempt to find cover is the same as an attempt to establish stealth, not just seeking protection from ranged attacks? It seems to me that you'd need to disengage in order to be able to re-establish stealth. Otherwise being able to just hide seems like too easy a way to escape being embattled.

Then to attack (unless you're attacking at range, which you won't with Ebon Shadow Style) you need to be embattled. Now that I re-read the rush mechanics, I guess it's only really relevant if someone's trying to avoid engaging at close range, so if you're hiding at close range you're probably okay. But if someone's losing (or prefers ranged combat) and legs it when you establish stealth, it could still come up.

I'm probably wrong about something in there, but I hope that at least what I'm trying to say is clear enough to illustrate exactly what.

Comment

Originally posted by Katamari_Naneke View Post
                Sorry, maybe I'm being unclear, or maybe I'm misunderstanding some key detail about combat mechanics. I'm guessing an attempt to find cover is the same as an attempt to establish stealth, not just seeking protection from ranged attacks? It seems to me that you'd need to disengage in order to be able to re-establish stealth. Otherwise being able to just hide seems like too easy a way to escape being embattled.

Then to attack (unless you're attacking at range, which you won't with Ebon Shadow Style) you need to be embattled. Now that I re-read the rush mechanics, I guess it's only really relevant if someone's trying to avoid engaging at close range, so if you're hiding at close range you're probably okay. But if someone's losing (or prefers ranged combat) and legs it when you establish stealth, it could still come up.

I'm probably wrong about something in there, but I hope that at least what I'm trying to say is clear enough to illustrate exactly what.
                Actually, reestablishing stealth in combat is just a good way to get out of being embattled, but it's almost as hard to do as disengaging, because you have to beat everyone with your stealth roll as opposed to disengaging and beating everyone with your disengage roll. Then when you reveal yourself in a Surprise Attack you instantly become embattled again. Or, if you want, you can attempt to end combat by Going to Ground (Exalted pg.204) where you try to stealth until people leave, which you have to declare before rolling stealth.

And don't worry about rushes, they do not work at all the way people think they work when they first hear about them, there's mechanical reasons for it though.

Comment

Running Exalted is a sublime kind of madness. I'm so jealous of you getting to introduce new players to this game, it's always so fun. Except for making Charm choices, that is. That can really be daunting, be prepared to hold their hands through that process.

As far as I'm aware, published titles are:
                  Adversaries of the Righteous (still a series of small pdfs, will eventually be collected into a full volume when they're all released)
                  Arms of the Chosen (artifacts, hearthstones)
                  EX3 Core (a Heavy Artifact Melee weapon with the bashing and smashing tags)
                  Hundred Devils Night Parade (same story as Adversaries)
                  Miracles of the Solar Exalted (Solar companion, extra Charms)
                  Tomb of Dreams (jumpstart, has summarised rules and a short adventure)

Available to Kickstarter backers as pdfs:
                  Dragonblooded: What Fire Has Wrought
                  Lunars: Fangs at the Gate (manuscript preview only)

Works in Progress:
                  Across the Eight Directions (setting book)
                  Heirs to the Shogunate (Dragonblooded companion, Charms and setting info)
                  Many-Faced Strangers (Lunar companion, Charms and fluff, not even on the list yet because the KS only just ended)
                  The Realm (setting book, currently in the final stages before publication so hopefully we'll see it in the next few months)

Basically the next four releases are all fluff-heavy, but I wouldn't worry about waiting for them.

"Measure of Hope is right about everything." - Wise Old Guru

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

Ah, thank you for clarifying that, you superb simian.
                    I guess the fact that you can hide rather than disengage is a good thing for characters who aren't real fighty & don't use a dodge-based defence. And aren't Twilight-caste Solars. I guess that also makes Tiger style much less of a counter to Ebon Shadow Style than I thought. I'd been thinking that'd be a hard fight for the ninja since they couldn't get away to strike from the shadows. But I guess they can!

So rushes are just for when you're trying to close on someone who doesn't want to be in close combat? A way to get around move actions being equally powerful for the pursuer and the pursued?

Originally posted by Measure of Hope View Post
                    Running Exalted is a sublime kind of madness. I'm so jealous of you getting to introduce new players to this game, it's always so fun. Except for making Charm choices, that is. That can really be daunting, be prepared to hold their hands through that process.
                    Originally posted by Measure of Hope View Post
                    EX3 Core (a Heavy Artifact Melee weapon with the bashing and smashing tags)
                    I remember when I first got it, I held it up next to the 2e core. I noticed the page colouration and thought "huh, what's that bit that's as big as the entire 2e corebook?" It was the charms. I tried running a game about 18 months ago which flopped on account of my moving interstate for a year. I made the mistake of letting them take their time early in the process - they spent ages on attributes and then we didn't have anywhere near enough time for charms. I'm definitely gonna rush attributes & abilities (they can revise them later if they need to) and focus on charms & intimacies.

I'm really looking forward to a bunch of fluff-heavy releases!

Comment

Originally posted by Katamari_Naneke View Post
                      I'm really looking forward to a bunch of fluff-heavy releases!
                      Me too, the lore this edition has been amazing. The setting is what really drew me into the game despite the awkward system in 2e, and the fluff writing in 3rd has done a really good job at sparking plot ideas. The setting info gives each location a real sense of place and character, and has the right balance of information and unanswered questions to inspire many possible plots. The writing team is excellent.

I made the same mistake as you walking a friend through character creation for a solo game. We never did go back and finish.

I like the idea of giving players a few sessions to revise their character sheets. It's what Jon Verrall does in his streamed games, and I think it makes a lot of sense in complicated character-build systems like Exalted. If you're not fully across the system, it's easy to miss things you need to realise your character concept or be effective in certain areas. A good ST will help with that, but it all takes time, and then come the Charms and everyone wants to rethink their Ability spread anyway once they see the minimum rating for that one Charm that's just so perfect for them.

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

I mean, the lore has always been amazing.* But I'm very excited to see what happens with some of these new areas, and I'm also keen for the reimagining of others. Especially Thorns! While it was always an exciting thing to engage with, I never really took to the former Queen of Thorns being "reduced to a concubine, Wisdom Whispered's sexual plaything." Given the portrayals we've seen so far, especially in What Fire Has Wrought, I'm looking forward to more interesting, less sexist portrayals of the scum that's risen to the top under the Mask's reign. The new ideas about Deathknights are also pretty cool, and I look forward to seeing them fleshed out.

*Possibly I find it necessary to gloss over some small things to appreciate the rest.

Comment

There definitely seems to be less Edge for the sake of Edge this time around. But it's not entirely an Edge-free zone. Raksi gonna Raksi.

Comment

Working...
                          X