X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    I was referencing Ranma Nibun-no-Ichi.
    Oh my.

...... shows the train of thought, doesn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

How is it nerfing Sorcery? Workings are a massive expansion of what Sorcery - which was already powerful without it - can do. And again, we're not even talking about "can or can't" do something, but how difficult it is for a character to pull off. This sort of hyperbolic response isn't helping anything.

I think a bigger take away is the one of the problems with 3e is that the core book added either entirely brand new things (Workings) or extremely new takes on old things (crafting) that aren't explained well for the devs intentions (and yes, we've changed devs, but the current team was there for the development of the core book). We get very vague guides in the book, we go to the devs for help, and they give us guidelines that - however decent and useful they might be - end up making things less clear with some of the examples. That's basically the whole primary thrust of this thread. It's what lead to things like making a quiver of ten arrows is ten Basic projects instead of one Major project, but making a multiple course banquet is a single Major project because one is batching and one isn't... even if it makes it really hard to say where the line on batching actually is.

If the goal is to pop out a baby that's the product of two individuals... the neomah is probably a better choice from a practical stand point; even if having children is not something done strictly based on that sort of thinking.
      A person who wants wings can get wings. These work. They might be a little weird to use but these wings fly. They do what they need to and have bith an in story amd in game benefit. A person who changed their gender. Didn't actually change their gender. They just did it cosmetically and superficially. When you can prodoce mutations that are true and create new beings. You are basically saying that for no reason, you are nerfing this ability. The rules as written do no at all support this ruling and it doesn't help the game at all to support it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
        A person who changed their gender. Didn't actually change their gender. They just did it cosmetically and superficially.
        Gender is not your capacity to make babies - it's what you identify as. We've been over this. A person doesn't need to undergo surgery or magic or HRT, they just have to identify as the gender other than the one they were designated as at birth.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-03-2019, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Gender is not your capacity to make babies. We've been over this. A person doesn't need to undergo surgery or HRT to be transgender, they just have to identify as the gender other than the one they were designated as at birth.
          *raises hand*

This may be potentially insensitive. I know little about trans issues. Apologies.

Ok, these guys identify as the gender other htan the one they were designated as at birth. Designated, using, well, their physical forms.

So the current hullaballoo seems to be about... transforming one's body from male to female? Or female to male? And the sorcerous workings not being good enough for it, for some reason?

One of the differences between two genders, is one can bear children, and the other cannot.

In this case, does not being unable to conceive serve as an indication that the transformation is incomplete?

Comment

Gender is not your capacity to make babies - it's what you identify as. We've been over this. A person doesn't need to undergo surgery or magic or HRT, they just have to identify as the gender other than the one they were designated as at birth.
            To a lot of transpeople, being able to reproduce is something they still want to. You're saying these people are essentially wrong in this desire?

Comment

To a lot of transpeople, being able to reproduce is something they still want to. You're saying these people are essentially wrong in this desire?
              No he's saying that linking gender to being able to reproduce is inherently insensitive and wrong.

There are thousands of cis people who cannot have children for one reason or another. Men who have had vasectomies are still men. Women who have had hysterectomies are still women. Sterile men or women are still men and women.

Saying that a woman isn't a woman because she cannot bear children is fucking insulting.

Saying that a man isn't a man because he cannot father children is fucking insulting.

Both of these things are what you're saying EVERY TIME you say that the transition isn't 'good enough' or isn't 'complete' without the ability to have children. I would really appreciate if you chose a different argument because it's goddamn disgusting.
              Last edited by armyofwhispers; 05-03-2019, 03:00 PM.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

No, I'm saying that the desire to reproduce is not the same as the realization that someone identifies as a different gender than the one a doctor slapped on their birth certificate. You can want one, or the other, or both, or neither.

​I have no idea where you seem to have got this notion, as no one seems to be arguing that trans people shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

​(Well, okay, some people are arguing that. But not here. It's generally taking place in some pretty gross websites.)

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                Ok, these guys identify as the gender other htan the one they were designated as at birth. Designated, using, well, their physical forms.
                Which isn't necessarily accurate. You'd be surprised at the number of people born intersex. Deciding the gender of someone by how their genitals look at birth is a pretty flawed method.

So the current hullaballoo seems to be about... transforming one's body from male to female? Or female to male? And the sorcerous workings not being good enough for it, for some reason?
                The hullaballoo is about whether or not it's reasonable for a gender-reaffirming sorcerous working to also give the person the capacity to produce children. Which, as we've said, is not a prerequisite of maleness or femaleness.

One of the differences between two genders, is one can bear children, and the other cannot.
                No, it isn't. My girlfriend cannot bear children, and is not trans. Nor does a trans man have to have his uterus surgically removed just because he identifies as male.

In this case, does not being unable to conceive serve as an indication that the transformation is incomplete?​
                No.
                Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-03-2019, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• ... you know something? I think I just stepped on a land mine.

Peace out.

Comment

• Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
                    No he's saying that linking gender to being able to reproduce is inherently insensitive and wrong.

There are thousands of cis people who cannot have children for one reason or another. Men who have had vasectomies are still men. Women who have had hysterectomies are still women. Sterile men or women are still men and women.

Saying that a woman isn't a woman because she cannot bear children is fucking insulting.

Saying that a man isn't a man because he cannot father children is fucking insulting.

Both of these things are what you're saying EVERY TIME you say that the transition isn't 'good enough' or isn't 'complete' without the ability to have children. I would really appreciate if you chose a different argument because it's goddamn disgusting.
                    So what your saying is transpeople who feel that way themselves are morally represhensible? Great glad to know we are making judgements on how people feel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                      ... you know something? I think I just stepped on a land mine.

Peace out.
                      If you ask to know more about something, you should be prepared for when people respond by talking about it.

Comment

If you ask to know more about something, you should be prepared for when people respond by talking about it.
                        I have no issue with you responding.

Its the, well, I got no idea what's happening now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                          Its the, well, I got no idea what's happening now.
                          I told you what's happening: maleness and femaleness are social constructs. The capacity to give birth to children is - at best - tangential to it, a thing that some people want, but does not a man or a woman make.

​Let me put it this way: I will never father a child. I'm still a man. My girlfriend will never have life blossom in her womb. She's still a woman. Neither of us are trans.

In what way is this hard?
                          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 05-03-2019, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• What defined maleless and femaleness?

Body shape? Makeup? Job? Clothing? Behaviour? Social behaviour?

Look across the entirety of human history across the globe, and you'll see that all these are changing or contradictory.

In other words, 'feminine' or 'masculine' are meaningless terms. All are spectrums . All are relative.

The only hard coded one is your genitals and reproductive roles.

If those are not there, you might as well throw out the terms altogether and refer to yourself as 'person'

Comment

• A number of the posts seem ill informed and are dipping into outright transphobia. Given the conversation hasn't practically advanced in several pages I'm gonna go ahead and lock this.

Also, a friendly reminder that arguing against trans-indentities is a real good way to get a permaban on this site.

-Pendragon

Onyx Path Moderator
                              Mod Voice is RED*
                              *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
                              Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

Working...
                              X