No announcement yet.

Upcoming Dragon Blooded Interview with Eric Minton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are the questions as written in the outline. We deviated a bit from how they're written here:
    You’ve been on the show before so you’ve answered our origin story question, so I have to get creative. If you lived in Creation, where would you want to live?
    I know that all of the Exalted could be your favorite, but what makes Dragon-Blooded your favorite of the Exalted?
    Can you tell me about one of your Dragon-Blooded characters? What do you find the most fun playing a DB? what was one of you most favorite moments as one?
    What themes do you think are interesting to highlight for the Dragon-Blooded?
    Where do you personally look for inspiration for the Dragon-Blooded and what do you take from each of those sources?
    What in particular unique to the 3e take on the DB setting material you think was especially interesting, exciting to write about, or what have you?
    One of the original stated goals of What Fire Has Wrought was to make each of the houses iconic and compelling, a goal that I personally feel was achieved. Were any of the Houses particularly difficult to get right?
    Another goal of the Dragon-Blooded book was to highlight the story of the Dragon Blooded beyond the Realm, and the book included information about Lookshy as well as several Outcast groups. Do you have a personal favorite group of DBs beyond the Realm?
    My co-host has said that he feels like 3rd edition dilutes the strong elemental associations of the DB aspects by removing the surcharge for using non-aspect elemental charms and by letting every Dragon-Blooded express every element through each ability and through the Auras. Can you talk about the development thinking that went into these changes and talk about the role of the aspects for characters?
    Is there any particular setting thing in the Dragon-Blooded lore you'd probably have liked to do more to change, but probably is a bit too "baked in" to the way the setting has portrayed them to now?
    WFHW does not include a storyteller section. What guidance would you give to folks interested in running a Dragon-Blooded game?
    The Realm
    The Realm is moving ever closer to Release and is going to discuss the Blessed Isle, the Threshold Satrapies, and the Empire of Prasaad along with the institutions and culture of Creation’s greatest empire. Have I overlooked anything that’s going into that book?
    Personally, I’m excited to learn more about the Satrapies presented in the Realm. Can you share any updates old favorites or completely new entries?
    Why did you pick the Satrapies that ended up appearing in the book?
    I’ve always felt that beyond the Secondary Schools, the Blessed Isle was less compelling than other areas of Creation to set a game. What will the Realm do to change that perception?
    Since we’ve seen Lunars now, can you talk about how the Realm deals with fighting shapeshifters who could be anyone? Does The Realm discuss it in detail or is it just mentioned in passing?
    Between Lunars and the Realm, we’re getting a lot of details about the Caul, which is a new micro-continent in the West. Can you talk about what makes the Caul interesting and why it was added to Creation?
    Heirs to the Shogunate
    Heirs to the Shounate includes all of the cool extras that were added during the Kickstarter Campaign. What are you most excited for to come out of that project?
    Can you talk about what’s up with the forest witches? Why do you think they’re so popular and what additional information will we learn about them Heirs of the Shogunate?
    Lookshy is getting additional coverage in Heirs. In past editions, their reliance on First Age artifice and access to a reliable cache of weapons and other technology was key part of their position as a bulwark against the Realm in the Scavenger Lands. How and why has that depiction changed in 3rd edition?
    Are there any totally new outcast groups you’re willing to share with use that will appear in Heirs?
    Can you talk about any of the artifacts that appear in Heirs?
    Listener Inspired Questions
    http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/1303088-upcoming-dragon-blooded-interview-with-eric-minton
    Are there any Dragon-Blooded topics that you wanted to include but that didn’t make it into the big book, the Realm, or Heirs?
    Was there any interesting material that had to be cut from any of the three DB centric books that you’d like to revisit later or was/is all the cut stuff just things that didn’t work, pruned words, and the usual writing detritus?
    Let’s talk about the term “Terrestrial Exalted”. What does it mean in the context of Exalted 3rd Edition? Is there a general term for exalted who are not as powerful as the celestial exalted?
    How much were aura’s kept in mind as elements were being picked for Charms? Each ability has a core element, with a scattering of other charms, which can make it difficult to use particular abilities to their best while maintaining a particular elemental aura.
    Are there any Abilities you think could have used more elemental representation?
    And last question, how do you pronounce the name of the Empress’s eldest living daughter?

Check out my RPG podcast: The Story Told
    Follow my ongoing Exalted Campaign: An Imperfect Circle

Comment

That's quite useful, thanks. I don't really have time to listen to a podcast for 45 minutes, but I wanted to see what Eric said about the Realm.

Okay, so the Realm has a chapter on Satrapies, a chapter on the Immaculate Order, a chapter on locations in the Realm, a chapter about the bureaucracy, a chapter on the military.

Satrapies include three old ones from 1st and 2nd ed (inc. Greyfalls and Cherak), and the rest are new or from the 3rd ed Core, like Pneuma and Prasad.

My characters:
      Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
      Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Sorry this took me awhile to do. I ended up busier than I thought. I'm going to paraphrase these answers, so I apologize if I misrepresent anything and any such was unintentional. Feel free to correct me if I do get anything wrong.

Originally posted by ElfSpeaker View Post
        Here are the questions as written in the outline. We deviated a bit from how they're written here:

You’ve been on the show before so you’ve answered our origin story question, so I have to get creative. If you lived in Creation, where would you want to live?
        The Realm, as it's where I'm least likely to get enslaved, tortured, dragged into war, etc. While that makes me part of a huge exploitative empire, it wouldn't be something I have any control over. Creation is a pretty miserable place to live in a lot of ways.

I know that all of the Exalted could be your favorite, but what makes Dragon-Blooded your favorite of the Exalted?
        They're good in play because they're not so over the top. You can have lower level stories where you don't just steamroll everything. Also there's lots of baked in cultural dynamics.

Can you tell me about one of your Dragon-Blooded characters? What do you find the most fun playing a DB? what was one of you most favorite moments as one?
        Run some Dragon Blooded games and DB NPCs. Lots of hooks right off the bat: families, rivals, etc. So much stuff that's immediately available. He hasn't really gotten to play one.

What themes do you think are interesting to highlight for the Dragon-Blooded?
        Family, Politics. Also depends on where you are. For Dynasts, how do you fit into the Realm, this world spanning oppressive empire?

Where do you personally look for inspiration for the Dragon-Blooded and what do you take from each of those sources?
        Actual history, various aristocratic groups, imperial China. Mythology, everyone except Achilles in the Iliad is probably a DB. Sword and Sorcery, Lords of Melnibone, Hawkmoon, Glen Cook's Dread Empire series. Pretty much anywhere you find fantasy aristocracy with magic powers.

What in particular unique to the 3e take on the DB setting material you think was especially interesting, exciting to write about, or what have you?
        One of the big agendas was taking the great houses and making them each present a distinct play experience, akin to Vampire clans.

One of the original stated goals of What Fire Has Wrought was to make each of the houses iconic and compelling, a goal that I personally feel was achieved. Were any of the Houses particularly difficult to get right?
        House Cynis, because they're the Slavers and Drug Dealers. People are going to go in looking at them as the House of Evil and they are at a very high level, complicit in the stuff that makes the Realm terrible, but it's important not to present them as one dimensional caricatures.

House Mnemon was also difficult because, previously, they were just "Mnemon's House." They needed work to present them as an independent culture and actual family.

Another goal of the Dragon-Blooded book was to highlight the story of the Dragon Blooded beyond the Realm, and the book included information about Lookshy as well as several Outcast groups. Do you have a personal favorite group of DBs beyond the Realm?
        Not really. They're all pretty interesting and were all well executed by the writers.

My co-host has said that he feels like 3rd edition dilutes the strong elemental associations of the DB aspects by removing the surcharge for using non-aspect elemental charms and by letting every Dragon-Blooded express every element through each ability and through the Auras. Can you talk about the development thinking that went into these changes and talk about the role of the aspects for characters?
        That's more a Vance question. They didn't want to pigeonhole everyone, because they're not five separate Exalt types, they're all Dragon Blooded.

Is there any particular setting thing in the Dragon-Blooded lore you'd probably have liked to do more to change, but probably is a bit too "baked in" to the way the setting has portrayed them to now?
        Question Skipped

WFHW does not include a storyteller section. What guidance would you give to folks interested in running a Dragon-Blooded game?
        I don't want to give anything off the cuff because the topic deserves better. We are putting together some bits of advice and guidance in Heirs however. And the Storyteller's Guide is approaching development.

I'll do another post later with the rest of the questions and answers.
        Last edited by BrilliantRain; 06-02-2019, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X