Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple of Stomlight Archive inspired charms.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of Stomlight Archive inspired charms.

I just finished reading the Stormlight Archive Trilogy.

The first is influenced by Dalinar.

Mirrored Voice Technique:
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Linguistics 5, Essence 2
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: None
    Duration: One scene
    Prerequisite Charms: Strange Tongue Understanding

The charm may be activated when the Exalt touches someone who is speaking a language he does not understand. The Solar commits the motes to understand and speak the subject's native language instantly, though the exalt retains a -3 penalty to social influence as they obviously sound like a foreigner speaking the language. If the subject knows multiple languages, choose the language that the subject grew up learning. This charm supplants Strange Tongue Technique as one of the pre-requisite charms needed for Excellent Emissary's Tongue.

This one influenced by Shallan.

Infused Impenetrable Disguise
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Larceny 5, Essence 2
    Type: Simple
    Duration: 2 hours per dot of essence of the exalt
    Prerequisite Charms: Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise

This charm functions almost identically as Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise, except the Exalt makes use of their own essence to disguise a willing subject. This charm remains active for the duration of time or until the subject decides to reject the Exalt's essence which helps bind the disguise. The Exalt's motes are committed to the subject until the charm ends.

And I kind of want to build off this one, is Jack from Erfworld when he threw a glamour onto Parson's armor making it look like he did not turn to Charlescomm. But I'm not sure if using larceny to disguise an enemy's armor or something similar is thematically appropriate for a solar.

And for lashing a foe so gravity shifts for them... that seems something like a Sidereal would do, right?
    Last edited by Uknown DarkLord; 04-12-2019, 12:38 PM. Reason: Bolding charm names

I'm super into what you're doing. I'm not in a mental place to contribute anything noteworthy but you're doing the good works. Stormlight Archive needs to live on in Exalted.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
      Stormlight Archive needs to live on in Exalted.
      Did Sanderson decide not to continue writing it? Last I had heard, it was estimated to be planned for about 10 books or so. Though, I will admit I don't follow press releases for things all that much (or at all).

Comment

I'm pretty sure he is. book 4 should be being written now

Comment

Originally posted by the_larz View Post

Did Sanderson decide not to continue writing it? Last I had heard, it was estimated to be planned for about 10 books or so. Though, I will admit I don't follow press releases for things all that much (or at all).
          I suppose my phrasing made it sound ominous. No, it's still being written for sure. I love seeing it represented in Exalted.

I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

certainly, I have admit Stormlight is very Exalted. specifically how reminiscent using Stormlight is to using Essence is something I wish to capture in my games.

Comment

I suppose my phrasing made it sound ominous. No, it's still being written for sure. I love seeing it represented in Exalted.
              Whew; you scared me for a bit there. Sanderson is one of my current favorite authors, so I was looking forward to more of that universe from him.

Back on topic, direct gravity manipulation might be a Sidereal thing; but the overall effects of the Lashings are already reasonably simulated in a few Solar Charms (Spider Foot Style for walking on walls; Unbound Eagle Approach, Soaring Crane Leap, Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique and Eagle-Wing Style for approximating flying). About the only thing missing is the ability to stick people/objects to other things and draw fire at onesself.

Honestly, the first time I read Way of Kings, I was absolutely convinced that Sanderson had at least read through Exalted before. There are so many similarities (many notable differences, though, too).

Comment

I have every intention of trying to making them Exigents once that book comes out so we don't have to wing it anymore.

Comment

I'm super into what you're doing. I'm not in a mental place to contribute anything noteworthy but you're doing the good works. Stormlight Archive needs to live on in Exalted.
                  Well a lot is already in the books. Dalinar's bondsmithing of repairing objects is pretty much similar. I guess, if anything, I'd make a combination performance/craft charm in which the Exalt speaks to the lesser god a broken object and reminds them of their object's former glory, and in combination with the essence used, aids in more speedy repairs. But Crack-Mending Technique in conjunction with Craftman Needs No Tools already does the mechanical equivalent of instantaneous repairs.

However... There is room for a similar Lore charm for soulcasting. We already have rules for creating something out of nothing in the Wyld. But what about changing an existing object into an entirely new object?

Reality-Shifting Technique
                  Cost: - ; Mins: Lore 5, Performance 3, Essence 4
                  Type: Simple
                  Duration: Permanent
                  Prerequisite Charms: Wyld-Shaping Technique

This charm modifies Wyld-Shaping technique to be able to alter the reality of a pre-existing object. As the exalt is not shaping the Wyld into an entirely new object, the exalt may start out in the bordermarches if changing the reality of a mundane object, or the middlemarches if transforming magical material. The exalt makes a prayer roll to the lesser god of the object, in imposing their will to have the lesser god's assistance, or affirmation, to change the object's reality. Any successes over the difficulty of the prayer roll is added on as additional dice to the shaping roll and for every five excess prayer successes, reduce the number of phases needed to change the object by one.

For transforming mundane objects into artifacts, Wyld-Called Weapon must also be known. If the mundane object is, for example, a mundane weapon that has been a family heirloom, then upon transformation into an artifact weapon, the weapon has an additional Evocation, and the design of weapon has some sort of pattern or reminder of its heritage on it.

Manse-Raising Method is required to modify existing manses with the Wyld.

The exalt may use this charm in Wyldfog or other Wyld zones inside Creation to shape existing objects. Which means that if an Exalt worked in conjunction with a fair folk and somehow got a pocket of the wyld to surround something like a castle, the Exalt could use this charm to will the fortress to change. Which means potentially hundreds of people on parapets finding themselves suddenly standing on nothing but air and falling to their deaths.

If an artifact or manse is being shaped against the attuner's will, add the essence of the attuner to the difficulty of shaping the artifact or manse.

Back on topic, direct gravity manipulation might be a Sidereal thing; but the overall effects of the Lashings are already reasonably simulated in a few Solar Charms (Spider Foot Style for walking on walls; Unbound Eagle Approach, Soaring Crane Leap, Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique and Eagle-Wing Style for approximating flying). About the only thing missing is the ability to stick people/objects to other things and draw fire at onesself.
                  Yeah. Making yourself run on walls or fly essentially already done.

For altering other's gravity, or sticking them to walls or the floor, that definitely seems like a sidereal thing. Or maybe some form of martial arts where your strike temporarily cuts their connection to gravity?

As far as drawing falling/shot objects to you, or something you're holding; I wonder if that would be an integrity charm? To put your essence signature there and increase your dodge or parry dv by your essence?

Comment

I have every intention of trying to making them Exigents once that book comes out so we don't have to wing it anymore.
                    I second this. Most of the magic in the Cosmere universe involve bonding with slivers of a particular god and gaining powers based on their specific purview...which dovetails nicely with the notion of the Exigents.

Comment

allomantic Exigents would be fun

Comment

Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
                        allomantic Exigents would be fun
                        Now you're cookin with gas! Imagine an Exigent that consumes metal to respire Essence. You could make the powers much stronger that way if the resource is harder to refill!

Comment

I don't have any ideas for mechanics, but thematically, I had an idea for the Charm for Lashing someone in a different direction other than down: bind their essence, temporarily, to one of the Elemental Poles. This causes them to go flying off in the direction of that pole. Assuming an infinite "height" for the poles out beyond the bounds of creations (or the top of Mount Meru at the center of the Blessed Isle) would allow you to give the target altitude (bind them upward), or you could skip them across the ground like a giant stone in a lake.

Again, not sure what the mechanics would be for this, but I like this thematically more than just making gravity work in a different direction for that person.

Comment

I don't have any ideas for mechanics, but thematically, I had an idea for the Charm for Lashing someone in a different direction other than down: bind their essence, temporarily, to one of the Elemental Poles. This causes them to go flying off in the direction of that pole. Assuming an infinite "height" for the poles out beyond the bounds of creations (or the top of Mount Meru at the center of the Blessed Isle) would allow you to give the target altitude (bind them upward), or you could skip them across the ground like a giant stone in a lake.

Again, not sure what the mechanics would be for this, but I like this thematically more than just making gravity work in a different direction for that person.

Yeah, it's an interesting idea. Just... it seems like a fate thing, messing with the rules of creation for another being? So I would guess it is an eclipse power? That or it'd have to be a celestial martial art to temporarily re-align where gravity is for them.

Comment

Working...
                            X