Exalted Analogues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exalted Analogues

So one of my hobbies is trying to link characters in other works to Exalted, and working out what they'd be if they were in Creation based on their abilities, history, and personality.

Currently, I'm trying to do so for the entire roster of Smash Ultimate. Some of them, like Link, are easy. Others, like the Mother characters, were less so. And then there are some of the Fire Emblem characters, who I don't know enough about to decide.

Here's my current list. Any thoughts on what I have? Opinions? And are there any other noteworthy Exalted analogues from other works you feel like mentioning?

The Teller of Tales, and the Weaver of Dreams

Behold! My 2e characters.

Roy would be a Solar with fiery evocations on his artifact. Eclipse or Dawn.

Ike is pretty much a perfect example of a Dawn Caste. (Even if I personally have made many Changing Moon Characters based loosely on him.)

Chrom and Lucina would be either Dawn or Zenith Castes.

I would argue Robin might fit better as a Chosen of Endings. But Battles works.

Comment

I would argue that Link is not only a perfect Dawn, but a perfect Exalt, period.

I went with Battles for Robin because they're a tactician.

I should also note that all of my Exalted knowledge is based in Second Edition; I know basically nothing about EX3.

The Teller of Tales, and the Weaver of Dreams

Behold! My 2e characters.

Comment

I’d suggest telekinesis pushes the Mother characters toward Infernals

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Bowser and Bowser Jr have a couple of other options if you aren't married to Behemoth; they could simply be Beastmen, with one or both being a "bad" solar or an infernal (though, 3rd edition Infernal); or Bowser would be a Lunar with a Chimera beastshape (Turtle/Bull would hit most bits except the fire breath, which might be sorcery or spirit charms from consuming a spirit); or they could both be demons, with Bowser as a 3rd circle demon with Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings as 2nd circles. (With Koopas, Goombas, etc. as a variety of 1st Circle Demons underneath them)

Ultimate!Zelda I feel could also work as Twilight, though since she's no longer Twilight Princess Zelda it's not as definitive. But I'll point out that Ultimate!Sheik is not the same person as Ultimate!Zelda despite them being the same in others - Ultimate!Sheik is based on Twilight Princess/Ocarina of Time Zelda (I don't think they nailed this one down to either) while Ultimate!Zelda is A Link to the Past. So you can easily make her a Night Caste like she clearly wants to be.

Peach and Daisy might be Wood Aspects? It wouldn't be out of place, at least.

If Luigi is going to be an aspect that isn't Fire, I'd put him as Air for the purpose of A) modeling his vacuum as a Jade artifact and B) replicating his Thunder Hand ability from Super Mario RPG.

If we want Samus to be an Alchemical, Adamant doesn't feel much like her, aesthetically, and she doesn't do much Secret Policing. Soulsteel or Orichalcum would be my picks, but I'll admit I don't know Alchemicals very well.

Pikachu and the other Pokemon could very easily be Elementals with some recoloring - at the very least, even the humanoid ones like Greninja or Incineroar are marked by their not being human and also acting as agents for humans. This would also allow for Red/Leaf to be Sorcerers with Summon Elemental as their control spell - they might even be mortal Sorcerers.

Pac-Man feels very... Behemoth-y, to me. Either way eating ghosts is a thing he's known for.

Isabelle could be either a God or a Chosen of Serenities.

Bayonetta is a No Moon Lunar, with some variation of Summon Demon as a control spell. She's too... moon-based, and does too many Animal Transformations, to be anything else. Her guns are a set of 4 Moonsilver Plasma Repeaters, with some amount of Jade Plating for the colors to work. Her spirit shape is a Butterfly or a Panther.

Inklings are complicated, at least partially because they're a species and not a specific character, making "Full Moon" a hard sell. A pre-Primordial War race, a form of elemental, a race engineered by Solars in the first age, etc., all could work.

Corrin is, in their original universe, a Water Aspect Dragon Blood. I'm not saying they aren't a Lunar now, just that at the very least, they were a Dynast.

Shulk is a Twilight who invested heavily in the Monado's Invocations. (Before his Past Life showed up again and ruined everything.)

Pit and Pittoo are easily done as Exigents of Palutena and Pandora. I know you don't know 3rd Edition very well, but Pit as a non-God agent of Palutena who she empowers directly, is best modeled as an Exigent. Dark Pit will probably have to be Pit's Twin or else Pandora's (Illegal) Exigence allowed her to create a clone of Pit.

Meta Knight is probably a Full Moon with a Bat for his spirit shape. Or he's a Night Caste with several very specialized artifacts.

King Dedede is the king of a Beastman Kingdom in the Northwest, or so would be my guess to explain his being a Penguin. Alternatively, he could be a Fair Folk with an obsession for being Kirby's rival.

Ness and Lucas might be Dream-Souled? We don't know much about them yet but at the very least, it would replicate Magicant shenanigans.

Depending on how well Umbral Exalted emulate Persona/Jojo shenanigans, Joker could default to them. Otherwise, he's a Night Caste Sorcerer with lots of Summoned Demons at his disposal.

... that's all I got for now.

Comment

Link (especially Breath of the Wild Link) could be a Wood Aspect (makes great use of Archery, Performance, Medicine, Ride, and Survival) who favors Athletics, Melee, Occult, and two other Abilities (Integrity, Resistance, Thrown, or Stealth).

Occult, because the Shieka Slate is basically a sorcerous phylactery, with each Shieka Rune being a spell.

Dodge isn't such a priority in Exalted's system, especially when Link has Archery for the safety of distance and Melee for the parry and clash Charms.

Bowser could be an Anklok Dragon King, which definitely makes him rare, strong, armored, and fiery.

King K. Rule could be a particularly thick-bodied Raptok Dragon King.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

I kind of feel like Wood Aspect fits Link better than Dawn.

I mean, obviously in Zelda the main thing you're good at is fighting, but I don't feel like Link's main deal is he's a super-amazing fighter. Especially near the beginning of the games.

My characters:
              Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
              Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                I don't feel like Link's main deal is he's a super-amazing fighter. Especially near the beginning of the games.
                Guessing you're not one of those players who took down a silver Lynel in a goofy and arbitrary manner, such as with three hearts, no armor, no food or weapons, only a boulder?

(I mean, I'm not one either.)

Comment

Afraid not.

Hmmm... why is Mario a Fire Aspect? I remember how much fire and lava hurt him...
                  Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 04-13-2019, 07:53 AM.

My characters:
                  Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Fireballs. Y'know, when he eats a fire flower?

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                      Fireballs. Y'know, when he eats a fire flower?
                      Yeah, but only when he eats a fireflower.
                      When he wears a metal hat, he turns metal.
                      When he eats an iceflower, he shoots ice.
                      When he wears a wing hat, he can fly (or gets a feather, or a hat with a propella on it).
                      When he eats a mushroom, he becomes giant.
                      When he wears an invisible hat, he turns invisible.

His power is jumping high, punching hard, and being able to get a wide variety of powers out of strange items. He can't resist natural fire by himself, or do fire damage by himself.

My characters:

Comment

I've been trying to do this for Der Ring des Nibelungen, but I've been running into a problem: although most of the characters work fine as Exalts of various types individually, the whole thing falls apart when you try to fit them together.

For example, Wotan seems to me pretty clearly a wolf No Moon; he's got the Tell, he's got the transgressive witch-king thing going on, he's got the protean nature, he's got the ungovernable rage. (Well, at least until Götterdämmerung, when he seems to enter a more Solar-type Limit Break.) Siegfried is a Dawn eight ways to Sunday. Hagen's a really twisted Chosen of Secrets; Alberich is probably an Infernal of some kind, though he might be a Getimian. (In 2e, he'd be a Defiler.) Siegmund I'm not sure about; perhaps a Fire Aspect? It doesn't matter, he's only in it for two acts anyway. Mime's an Earth Aspect; Freia's Wood; Loge's Changing Moon, though I'm not sure what his spirit shape would be. Nothung's probably a pretty straightforward Artifact 3, while the Tarnhelm is Artifact 4. The power over law and contracts in Wotan's spear probably puts it at Artifact 5, while the eponymous Ring is, of course, Artifact N/A. (The Tarnhelm and the Ring even have some Evocations named already.)

Throw Brünnhilde into the mix, though, and not only does she not make sense, but none of the other characters make sense anymore in relation to her. She can't be Wotan's and Siegfried's bonded mate; she can't be both a Solar and a Lunar. In her role in the story, she's pretty clearly Chosen of Endings, but her relations to the other characters scream "not a Sidereal". And that's all without even getting into the fact that one of her major themes is how she gets her agency, her heroic protagonism, repeatedly stripped away (first by Wotan, then by Siegfried, then by Gunther), which... isn't really a thing that's supposed to happen to the Exalted, at least not in 3e, as far as I can tell; tragic is one thing, pathetic quite another. (Of course, it wasn't supposed to happen to Brünnhilde either, but here we are with most of the cast exsanguinated, drowning, on fire, or perhaps all three. Along with the rest of the world. Welcome to Wagner.)

Known elsewhere as Kurulham. Void where permitted.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

Yeah, but only when he eats a fireflower.
                          When he wears a metal hat, he turns metal.
                          When he eats an iceflower, he shoots ice.
                          When he wears a wing hat, he can fly (or gets a feather, or a hat with a propella on it).
                          When he eats a mushroom, he becomes giant.
                          When he wears an invisible hat, he turns invisible.

His power is jumping high, punching hard, and being able to get a wide variety of powers out of strange items. He can't resist natural fire by himself, or do fire damage by himself.
                          This is specifically the Smash incarnation though, and in Smash he gets fireballs.

Comment

Fair enough then.

My characters:

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                              Guessing you're not one of those players who took down a silver Lynel in a goofy and arbitrary manner, such as with three hearts, no armor, no food or weapons, only a boulder?

(I mean, I'm not one either.)
                              Link could be either a Dragon-Blood or Solar, depending on how the player and storyteller want to scale the game.

A sufficiently advanced Dragon-Blood could pull off what you describe if the player is skilled enough. Such things aren't Solar-gated.

Anyway, if Bayonetta is a Lunar, I think her totem would be the Butterfly, as that's the form her shadow takes. I feel her Caste should be Full Moon, because she's an extremely physical character who doesn't tend to solve her problems in No Moon ways. She doesn't heal others, she doesn't make things, she doesn't mutate people, she doesn't create bolt-holes or plan ahead to always conveniently have the correct item to solve a predicted problem, she doesn't fight along side familiars, and she doesn't appease spirits.

She can be a Full Moon and still use sorcery to summon and bind demons to do her bidding, and she doesn't even need the "attack the immaterial" Charm when her opponents become material on their own to fight her.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Working...
                              X