Exalted: Arena

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 dice rerolling 1s adding 2 successes averages 13 successes
    19 dice adding 3 successes minus 1 averages 11 successes...

So close...

(I've just made the characters and rolled Join Battle. It occured to me that if Single Point went all in, he could launch a 37i+1 Decisive with double tens and one double nine on his first turn. But it missed, so now I called a do over, because statistically speaking it will miss and is therefore a bad strategy. Still. Very nearly got away with a one turn combat there.)

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
      21 dice rerolling 1s adding 2 successes averages 13 successes
      19 dice adding 3 successes minus 1 averages 11 successes...

So close...

(I've just made the characters and rolled Join Battle. It occured to me that if Single Point went all in, he could launch a 37i+1 Decisive with double tens and one double nine on his first turn. But it missed, so now I called a do over, because statistically speaking it will miss and is therefore a bad strategy. Still. Very nearly got away with a one turn combat there.)
      It still might be the best strategy, if the chance of winning the all-or-nothing is better than the chance of winning the long way.

Comment

• Originally posted by vwllss trnt prncss View Post

It still might be the best strategy, if the chance of winning the all-or-nothing is better than the chance of winning the long way.
        I'm playing the fight out because I hate myself.

Comment

• By the way, I think it might be worth trying a variant, were you are allowed to take both Single Point and Melee charms (sticking to 15 charms limit), since per Developers' clarification, while in Single Point form, you are allowed to make your regular attacks with Melee (while your sword's attacks must always be made with Martial Arts).

Comment

• So I tried running Volfer against two blood apes. I brought him up to chargen levels by giving him his signature daiklave, a specialty in it, and some other Essence 1 charms, Dipping Swallow, Solar Counterattack and another Ox-Body. This was the result.

Volfer spends 6m for 6 dice on Join battle, rolling 10i
            BA1 gets 6i
            BA2 gets 4i

volfer has 35 motes left

Round 1
            ===========

Volfer will attempt a withering strike against BA1, spending 3m for Excellent Strike, and 5m for Fire and Stones Strike. Volfer rolls 12 dice for 8 total successes. Then rolling 19 damage for 12, brutally crashing BA1.

Volfer 23i 27m
            BA1 -6i
            BA2 4i

-----------
            Bloodape 2 will use Principle of Motion to make two withering attacks against Volfer, who will use Durability of Oak meditation for 3m.

First attack with 11 dice misses with only 4.

Second attack with 11 dice also misses with an even worse 3.

Volfer 23i 24m
            BA1 -6i
            BA2 4i

-----------
            Bloodape 1 will attempt the same with 2 withering attacks. On the first one though Volfer will spend 3m on Solar Countarattack, 3m on Excellent Strike, 3m on Fire and Stones Strike and 4m on his excellency.

Rolling 13 dice for 7 total and striking the ape. Then rolling 26 decisive damage for 11, killing the ape outright.

Volfer 4i 11m
            BA2 4i

Round 2
            ===========
            Volfer 4i 16m
            BA2 4i

BA2 and Volfer clash! BA2 using Principle of Motion, and Volfer using 3m Excellent Strike, 5m Fire and Stones Strike, and 4m Excellency.

Blood Ape rolls an impressive 10 on 11 dice, and Volfer gets only 7 with 16 dice!

BA2 rolls 11 damage, getting a sad 1 and failing to even crash the Dawn.

Volfer 2i 4m
            BA2 7i

BA2 still has another attack though, and will use it. Volfer this time defending with a 2m Peony Blossom and 2m excellency, the last of his motes. Rolling 11 dice for an amazing 10 AGAIN! And rolling 10 damage for 4, crashing Volfer.

Volfer -2i 0m
            BA2 15i

Round 3
            ===========

Volfer -2i 5m
            BA2 15i

The ape will use Principle of Motion to wither, and Volfer will Dipping Swallow each.

Rolling 11 dice the ape misses with just 3.

Volfer -1i 3m
            BA2 15i

Then rolling his decisive with 11 dice, hitting with 7. Then rolling 9 dice for 5 damage.

Volfer -6i 1m
            BA2 21i

-----------
            Volfer will attempt to wither back, rolling 12 dice and missing with only 2.

Round 4
            ===========
            Volfer -6i 6m
            BA2 21i

Bloodape makes another two withering attacks, this time Volfer defends with Durability of Oak.

First attack misses with 3, second misses with 5

Volfer -6i 3m
            BA2 21i

-----------
            Volfer will attempt to wither back, rolling 12 dice and hitting with 7. Rolling 13 dice for 8 damage, pulling out of crash.

Round 5
            ===========
            Volfer 3i 8m
            BA2 13i

Bloodape uses his final willpower point for another two withering, Volfer will again use 3m Durability of Oak. First one hits with 6, rolling 7 damage for 4, crashing Volfer again.

Second one misses with only 4

Volfer -1i 5m
            BA2 18i

-----------
            Volfer will attempt to wither back, rolling 12 dice and hitting with 7. Rolling 13 dice for 8 damage, pulling out of crash, again.

Volfer 8i 5m
            BA2 10i

Round 6
            ===========
            Volfer 8i 10m
            BA2 10i

Bloodape will use a 4m Brutal Ape Pounce, Volfer will not spend motes to defend. Ape rolls 4 successes and misses.

-----------
            Volfer will attack back with a withering strike, rolling 12 dice for 6 and hitting, then rolling 12 damage for 3.

Volfer 12i 10m
            BA2 7i

Volfer will spend 3m to use One Weapon Two Blows, giving another withering attack, rolling 12 dice and getting it with 4. Then rolling 11 damage for 7, crashing the ape.

Volfer 25i 7m
            BA2 0i

Round 7
            ===========
            Volfer 25i 12m
            BA2 0i

Volfer tries to finish this with a 3m Fire and Stones Strike and a 3m Excellent Strike. Rolling 12 dice for 6 and hitting, then rolling 28 decisive damage for 11, slaying the ape.

Volfer 4i 6m

In spite of getting pretty unlucky a lot of the time, Volfer had this solidly in the bag. If I was actually running this in a game I would have had the ape decisive when he got 15 initiative. I actually ran it that way at first, but then he only dealt 6L, and then got Initiative Shifted on and well...that's that. So instead of playing like it would be in a game I was playing to win, only launching a decisive when I had the roughly 50i required to stand a good shot at one-shotting Volfer. Unfortunately the willpower dried up, and without Principle of Motion the ape is basically worse than Volfer in every way, without even counting his charms.

You COULD make a Dawn that kills both those apes in one turn using Invincible Fury of the Dawn and some other stuff, but in this case they might actually be worse off doing it. It's not like Volfer spent any willpower here, and he won with 6m left to spare.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lanic View Post
              By the way, I think it might be worth trying a variant, were you are allowed to take both Single Point and Melee charms (sticking to 15 charms limit), since per Developers' clarification, while in Single Point form, you are allowed to make your regular attacks with Melee (while your sword's attacks must always be made with Martial Arts).
              The power play is probably to attack with Single Point and defend with Melee, I guess?

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                Yeah, I mean at that point why care about anything really? The Scarlet Empire bugging you? Go tear down the Imperial Palace, the Deliberative, and the Thosand Scales. Immaculate Order kind of getting on your nerves? Go knock over the Palace Sublime, that should make them think twice before scrounging up one of their little Wyld Hunts. Then maybe walk into Thorns completely casually and eradicate the presence of death from it, it's got a nice view, nice palace, could be a fun home to own.
                Just catching up with this thread. But I recall a discussion about a flying archer being lethal (eventually) to these types. Surely someone with wings lives in one of these setting-important places?

The Lunar Castebooks fan project - Complete! (Changing, Full, No, and Casteless)

Comment

• Melee vs Single Point

Standard white-room conditions. Honorable fight with no poisoned throwing knives, no tyrant lizard mounts (reaper daiklaves don't have Reach, but grand daiklaves do...), no turning into a shadow or other shennanigans. Win or lose based on Melee/Single Point Charms, not Atheletics Charms or the such like. One point stunt on everything important (included in statlines). Fighting to the death.

Two "save points" where we pick up and replay the fight using alternate strategies.

Melee wins by a much larger margin than I thought they would.

Melee:
                  Cutting Edge of the Melee
                  Dawn Caste
                  Immovable Swordswoman (she/her - Melee)

Strength 5
                  Dexterity 5
                  Stamina 1

Charisma 1
                  Manipulation 5
                  Appearance 1

Perception 3
                  Intelligence 1
                  Wits 5

Dawn Caste Abilities (and Specialities) (8 BP)

Melee 5 (Swords)
                  Awareness 5 (Join Battle)
                  Dodge 5 (Armored)
                  Resistance 5
                  Thrown 1

Favored Abilities (2 BP)

Athletics 5 (Rushes)
                  Integrity 3
                  Occult 3
                  Sail 3
                  War 3

Merits (Native Language: Riverspeak) (3BP)

Artifact 5 (Mela's Coil)
                  Artifact 5 (Gorgon)
                  Fast Reflexes 3

Charms

1. Melee: Excellent Strike
                  2. Melee: One Weapon, Two Blows
                  3. Melee: Peony Blossom Technique
                  4. Melee: Dipping Swallow Defense
                  5. Melee: Bulwark Stance
                  6. Melee: Five-Fold Bulwark Stance
                  7. Melee: Hail Shattering Practice
                  8. Melee: Iron Whirlwind Attack
                  9. Melee: Invincible Fury of the Dawn
                  10. Melee: Perfect Strike Discipline
                  11. Melee: Fervent Blow
                  12. Resistance:Ox-body Technique
                  13. Resistance: Ox-body Technique x2
                  14. Awareness: Sensory Acuity Prana

Evocations

15. Mela's Coil: Wind Rider's Swiftness

Intimacies
                  Defining Principle: I live by the sword
                  Major Principle: The Realm Must Fall
                  Major Tie: The Undead (Loathing)
                  Minor Tie: My Circle (Loyalty)

Evasion 7
                  Parry 8

Gorgon: Accuracy 16 (13 Decisive), Damage 17 (OVR 5), Lethal

Soak 12 Hardness 10
                  Mobility Penalty -0
                  Resist Poison: 6 dice

Join Battle 14
                  Rush 13
                  Disengage 12

Resolve 5
                  Guile 4

Willpower 6 (2BP)
                  Essence 1

Personal motes 13
                  Peripheral motes 33 (11 Committed, 22 Available)

Health Track
                  -0 x1
                  -1 x4
                  -2 x4
                  -4 x1
                  Incap

Martial Arts:
                  Bleeding Point of All The Martial Arts
                  Dawn Caste
                  Unstoppable Martial Arts Master (him/he - Point)

Strength 5
                  Dexterity 5
                  Stamina 1

Charisma 1
                  Manipulation 5
                  Appearance 1

Perception 3
                  Intelligence 1
                  Wits 5

Dawn Caste Abilities (and Specialities) (8 BP)

Martial Arts: Single Point Shining Into the Void 5 (Shining Ice Mirror)
                  Brawl 3
                  Awareness 5 (Join Battle)
                  Dodge 5 (Armored)
                  Resistance 5
                  Thrown 0

Favored Abilities (2 BP)

Athletics 5 (Rushes)
                  Integrity 3
                  Occult 3
                  Sail 1
                  War 3

Merits (Native Language: Riverspeak) (3BP)

Artifact 3 (Shining Ice Mirror)
                  Artifact 3 (Medium Armor)
                  Fast Reflexes 3
                  Martial Artist 4

Charms

1. Single Point: Cutting Light Concentration
                  2. Single Point: Shining Starfall Execution
                  3. Single Point: Single Point Shining Into The Void Form
                  4. Single Point: Fatal Stroke Flash
                  5. Single Point: Liquid Steel Flow
                  6. Single Point: Horizon-Swallowed Star Flash
                  7. Single Point: Void Slicing Wind
                  8. Single Point: Six-Demon Scabbard Binding
                  9. Single Point: Blinding Nova Flare
                  10. Awareness: Sensory Acuity Prana
                  11. Awareness: Keen Sight Technique
                  12. Awareness: Keen Hearing and Touch Technique
                  13. Awareness: Awakening Eye
                  14. Resistance:Ox-body Technique
                  15. Resistance: Ox-body Technique x2

Intimacies
                  Defining Principle: I live by the sword
                  Major Principle: The Realm Must Fall
                  Major Tie: The Undead (Loathing)
                  Minor Tie: My Circle (Loyalty)

Evasion 6
                  Parry 8

Shining Ice Mirror: Accuracy 16 (13 Decisive), Damage 17 (OVR 5), Lethal

Soak 9 Hardness 7
                  Mobility Penalty -1
                  Resist Poison: 6 dice

Join Battle 14
                  Rush 12
                  Disengage 11

Resolve 5
                  Guile 4

Willpower 6 (2BP)
                  Essence 1

Personal motes 13
                  Peripheral motes 33 (12 Committed, 21 Available)

Health Track
                  -0 x1
                  -1 x4
                  -2 x4
                  -4 x1
                  Incap

The Fight:
                  Join Battle

Point: Awakening Eye, 2m Awareness Excellency, Sensory Acuity Prana, Willpower (11/10m 4WP 2a) 21i
                  Melee: Full Awareness Excellency, Sensory Acuity Prana, Rouses Gorgon to Slitted, Willpower (13/7m, 4WP 3a) 13i

Medium Range

*First Save Point*

Round 1

21i: Point opens with Void Slicing Wind, backed with a full Martial Arts Excellency, Fatal Stroke Flash, Shining Starfall Execution, and Willpower (2/0m, 1WP).
                  Melee responds with Fervent Blow to Clash, and backs it with Perfect Strike Discipline, Excellent Strike, Bulwark Stance and Willpower (4/7m 2WP).

*Save Point Two*

Point rolls 14 successes and Melee rolls 16.

Melee rolls 13i of Lethal Damage and adds one automatic level for 3L, dropping Point into his minus 1s, then she resets to 4i. Gorgon stays Slitted.
                  Point moves to Short range behind Melee, drops to 13i, then loses 3i for failing to land a Decisive attack, takes one Onslaught penalty to defense and 2 Clash penalty (on top of the -1 Wound Penalty).

4i: Melee Reflexively moves to Close and makes an Excellent Strike, Withering (1/7m).
                  Point, knowing what's coming, defends with a 2m Excellency and Willpower (0/0m 0WP) for Parry 6.

Melee rolls 6 successes, hitting, and 8 dice of damage for 6+1i.

Melee rises to 12i, Point drops to 3i. Point takes another point of Onslaught.

Melee then triggers One Weapon, Two Blows (0/5m) for a second Withering attack.
                  Point defends with Parry 3.

Melee rolls 7 successes, hitting with a threshold of 4, rising to 13i.
                  Melee rolls 12 dice of damage for 6i.

Melee rises to 19i. Point drops to -3i, Crash. Melee rises to 24i.

Melee: 24i (0/10m, 2WP, 3a)
                  Point: -3i (0/5m, 0WP, 3a) CRASH -1 Wound Penalty, -3 Onslaught, -2 Clash

Round 2

24i: Melee opens with a Withering attack.
                  Point defends on Parry 1.

Melee rolls 11 successes, hitting with a threshold of 10, rising to 25i.
                  Melee rolls 18 dice of damage for 11i. Melee rises to 36i. Point falls to -14i.

Melee triggers Peony Blossom Technique (0/9m, 1WP, 0a) and Invincible Fury of the Dawn (0/4m, 0WP), declaring 5 Decisive attacks backed by Excellent Strike (0/1m), each with 8i and 9i in the last attack.
                  Point declares a 4m Excellency to defend against the first attack on Parry 2. Remaining attacks resolve against Parry 0.

First attack hits for 4L (7L).
                  Second attack hits for 2L (9L).
                  Third attack hits for 1L (10L).
                  Forth attack hits for 3L (13L), killing Point.

Melee wins decisively in Round 2.

Replay from Second Save Point.

Point rolls 13 successes and Melee rolls 11. (Statistically improbable, but not impossible.) Point wins the Clash.

Point rolls 37i in Lethal damage with double-10s and one double-9, then adds an automatic level of lethal damage, for 18L, reduced to 17L by Bulwark Stance.

Melee is dead.

Single Point wins in Round 1.

Replay from Save Point One.

Point wins Join Battle and Reflexively enters Single Point Form (11/0m, 3a).

Sword is rolled into battle on 9i.

Round 1

23i: Point Aims at Melee (Parry 10, +3 dice to next attack).
                  13i: Melee activates Wind-Rider Swiftness (8/7m) to move to Short and Rush Point (9 successes to 2, Point is Rushed). Melee activates Five-Fold Bulwark Stance (3/7m, 3WP).
                  9i: Sword does nothing.

Short Range

Point: 23i (11/5m, 4WP, 3a) Single Point Form
                  Sword: 9i
                  Melee: 13i (3/12m, 3WP, 3a) Five-Fold Bulwark Stance

Round 2

23i, Point drops to Parry 8: Point Reflexively moves to Close (losing his Aim bonus) and makes a Withering attack with Liquid Steel Flow and an 8m Excellency with Willpower (3/0m, 3WP).
                  Melee Clashes with Fervent Blow, Excellent Strike, and an 8m Excellency with Willpower (0/11m, 1WP).

Melee rolls 13 successes. Points rolls 9 successes. Point drops to Parry 5.

Melee rolls 13+5i+1 in Lethal damage for 8L. Point is in -2 Wound Penalty (Parry 3). Melee resets to 4i.

9i: Sword attacks Melee, Withering with a 3m Excellency and Willpower (0/0, 2WP).
                  Melee defends with Five-Fold Bulwark Stance (Parry 8) and Dipping Swallow Stance (0/10m, Parry 9).

Sword rolls 17 dice for 6 successes, missing.

4i: Melee attacks Sword, Withering.
                  Sword defends with Willlpower (1WP) on Parrry 4.

Melee rolls 9 successes on 16 dice, hitting with a threshold of 5. Melee rises to 5i.
                  Melee rolls 13 dice of damage for 7i. Melee rises to 12i. Sword falls to 2i (Parry 2).

Melee activates One Weapon, Two Blows (0/7m) and attacks Sword, Withering.
                  Sword defends with Willpower (0WP) on Parry 3.

Melee rolls 8 successes on 16 dice, hitting with a threshold of 5. Melee rises to 13i.
                  Melee rolls 13 dice of damage for 3i. Melee rises to 16i. Sword falls to -1i, Crash. Melee rises to 21i.

Point: 23i (0/5m, 0WP, 3a) Single Point Form
                  Sword: -1i Crashed Awaiting Reset
                  Melee: 21i (0/12m, 1WP, 3a) Five-Fold Bulwark Stance

Round 3

23i: Point resets defence to Parry 6. Point attacks with Liquid Steel Flow (0/0m).
                  Melee defends with Dipping Swallow Stance (0/11m, Parry 9).

Point rolls 16 dice against Parry 9 for 9 successes.
                  Melee uses Hail-Shattering Practice (0/10m) and Point misses.

21i: Melee uses Excellent Strike (0/7m) to Wither Point.
                  Point defends on Parry 6.

Melee rolls 11 successes, hitting with a threshold of 5, rising to 22i.
                  Melee rolls 13 dice of damage, for 9i. Melee rises to 31i. Point falls to 13i.

I remember that Point actually only has three health levels left and I should have used Peony Blossom Technique last turn and that I am, in fact, an idiot.
                  I also remember that Gorgon is supposed to be adding a success to damage rolls.

Melee uses One Weapon, Two Blows (0/4m), to launch a Decisive attack.
                  Point defends on Parry 5.

Melee rolls 9 successes to hit, and 12L.

Point is dead. Again.

Melee wins decisively in Round 3.

That's 2/3 wins for Melee, and Single Point only won that one on an incredibly lucky dice roll.

If I were Supernal Melee, I wouldn't want to fight a Single Point Supernal. Ever. For any reason. But if I did, I'd probably win 75% of the time.

Single Point could do better with more Atheltics Charms and fewer Single Point Charms.

Imagine, if you will, using Foe Vaulting Method and Thunderbolt Attack Prana to make a Suprise Attack with Double Damage. With Strength Increasing Exercise for +1 damage.

But at that point is it really Single Point vs Melee, or Melee vs Athletics?

(Melee, of course, could also benefit from any of these Essence 1 Charms. It's just that you wouldn't want to give up any of the Melee Charms in this build to buy them. If anything you really want to drop an Ox-Body for Fire and Stones Strike.)

I have no interest in running a mix of Single Point and Melee at this juncture. But I will run Melee and Point against Volfer.
                  Last edited by JohnDoe244; 02-13-2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• How do both fighters have a resting Parry of 8? 5 ability 5 attribute 1 speciality is Parry 6, and a Medium weapon is +1 to parry 7. Where's the last point of parry

Edit: posted too soon.

Excellent work. It looks like the conventional wisdom is true- if SP can't splat melee on the first shot it can't win.

Fervant Blow was a lot more useful than I thought it was, and Im surprised FaSS wasn't picked
                    Last edited by Sorcerous Overlord; 02-13-2020, 07:29 PM.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
                      How do both fighters have a resting Parry of 8? 5 ability 5 attribute 1 speciality is Parry 6, and a Medium weapon is +1 to parry 7. Where's the last point of parry?
                      One point stunt.

It's also +2 Accuracy dice (most noticeable on their 13 dice Decisives).

[Edit]

FaSS is amazing and it wasn't picked as a complete oversight. I thought I'd picked it. But 15 Charms is a tight restriction.

Anything that lets you Clash Reflexively is amazing. Single Point lets you Clash Reflexively for 8m 1WP. Fervent Blow lets you Clash for 1m 1WP. It's one of the best Charms in the game.
                      Last edited by JohnDoe244; 02-14-2020, 05:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tikor View Post
                        Just catching up with this thread. But I recall a discussion about a flying archer being lethal (eventually) to these types. Surely someone with wings lives in one of these setting-important places?
                        It's possible, but not if the Solar has Bonfire Anima Wings or something of the like. The only thing that can take them down is a concentrated effort of massively powerful exalt-level characters, or possibly a legendary general leading an elite and massive army using an Engage action, if you could get them to live long enough.

That or if they decide to fight something like The Unconqured Sun or someone similar.

Comment

• Point Vs Volfer

As established, Point can open with a nova strike that rolls an average of 12 successes. Volfer doesn't have Fervent Blow, so can't Reflexively Clash, has a lower Join Battle than Melee, so will take more damage, and with a Parry 5 + Full Excellency + Willpower (and no cap-breaking Hail-Shattering Strike), Volfer will therefore be hit by Point's nova strike 84% of the time.

Playing out "can Point beat Volfer" is obviously a waste of time. Approximately 80% of the time, Point will chunk Volfer in one round before he even gets the chance to strike back.

"But John, you've completely Worfed Volfer and we no longer care!"

Sheesh, tough crowd.

Ragara Smash ALSO does not have a Reflexive Clash, and has the same max parry as Volfer. Meaning Smash gets hit and chunked in one round by Point as well.

"Boo! Terrestrials aren't real Exalted!"

Wow. Harsh.

The Knight of Bone and Ivory (one of the best Lunar defensive builds in the game) has Dodge 6. Full Excellency takes them to 8. Stunting Excellency 12. The Knight gets hit by Point 62% of the time on an opening nova strike. The Knight might survive a 38i attack with double-10s and 1 double-9. But it's going to hurt.

Single Point Supernals are scary, ok?

I still want to fight Point vs Volfer though.

Let's make things interesting.

Volfer has made a demonic pact, and now all his weapons are coated in Yozi Venom. Immaculates are growing suspicious and are closing in. Whilst Volfer will stop at nothing to defeat Point, Point doesn't want to face a Wyld Hunt and therefore must complete the entire fight without flaring his anima. At all. And knowing he must conserve strength, let's say Point can only use half his Willpower pool. Be nice if he can finish with some motes too...

The Fight
                          Medium Range

Volfer throws a Full Excellency into Join Battle (13/27m, 1a) for 9i.
                          Point uses Awakening Eye (8/21m, 5WP) for 12i.

On winning join battle, Point reflexively activates Single Point Shining Into the Void Form (0/19m) and rolls his sword into battle on 7i.

Round 1

12i: Point moves to Short range and Aims.

9i: Volfer uses Thunderclap Rush, Excellent Strike, Fire and Stones Strike and a 6m Excellency with Willpower to close to Close and make an (unClashable) Withering attack as his anima goes totemic (13/15m, 5WP, 3a).
                          Point Parries on 10, and Volfer misses.

7i: Sword Withers Volfer with Point's Aim bonus.
                          Volfer defends with a Full Excellency (13/7m) and Sword misses (by a single success).

Point: 12i (3/21m, 5WP) Single Point Form
                          Volfer: 9i (13/12m, 5WP, 3a) -1 Onslaught
                          Sword: 7i

Round 2

12i: Point uses a 2m Excellency, Willpower and Liquid Steel Flow to Wither Volfer (0/17m, 3WP).
                          Volfer defends with a Full Excellency and Willpower (13/4m, 4WP), minus 1 Onslaught.
                          Point hits (threshold 0) and spends Willpower to extend the duration of Liquid Steel Flow (4WP). 13i.
                          Volfer boosts Soak using Spirit Strengthens the Skin (13/0m), and Point rolls 3 damage. 16i/6i.

7i: Sword Withers with a 4m Excellency (0/13m).
                          Volfer Parries with a Full Excellency and Willpower (5/0m, 3WP), -2 Onslaught.
                          Sword hits (threshold 3), 8i.
                          Volfer boosts Soak using Spirit Strengthens the Skin (1/0m), and Sword rolls 5 damage. 13i/1i.

1i: Without enough motes to reasonably stand a chance of hittting, Volfer Aims.

Point: 16i (1/17m, 3WP) Single Point Form, Liquid Steel Flow
                          Sword: 13i
                          Volfer: 1i (1/5m, 3WP) Aim

Round 3

16i: Point Withers with a 4m Excellency (1/13m).
                          Volfer defends with a 6m Excellency and Willpower (0/0m, 2WP).
                          Point hits (threshold 3), 17i.
                          6 damage. 23i/-5i.
                          Volfer is Crashed. 28i.

13i: Sword Wither's Volfer.
                          Volfer Parries backed with Willpower (1WP).
                          Sword misses.

-5i: Volfer Withers Sword with Aim and Willpower (0WP).
                          Sword Parries on 8, Volfer rolls 9(!!!) successes, and hits with a threshold of 1. -4i.
                          Volfer's damage is Soaked down to Overwhelming. 1 damage. -3i/12i.

Point: 28i (2/17mm 3WP) Single Point Form, Liquid Steel Flow
                          Sword: 12i
                          Volfer: -3i (0/5m, 0WP)

Round 4

28i: Point launches a 4m Excellency Decisive backed by Fatal Stroke Flash (2/12m -- Willpower cost waived, ending Liquid Steel Flow).
                          Volfer defends with a 4m Parry (0/1m)
                          Point hits with a Threshold of 3 (not that this matters).

Point rolls 53 dice of lethal damage with 1 double 9 and 3 automatic levels of damage.

Point deals 30 levels of Lethal damage, enough to kill Volfer twice over, and then resets to 3i.

And there you have it. Point chunks Volfer with 14 motes to spare, without flaring a single level of anima, with half his Willpower remaining (and 12i left on his sword) in only 4 rounds.

Single Point is an absolute beast-mode martial art.
                          Last edited by JohnDoe244; 02-14-2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• That makes me wonder, since I've never seen it, how scary is a DB with Single Point?

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                              That makes me wonder, since I've never seen it, how scary is a DB with Single Point?
                              I have never used it, but theory crafting I honestly don't think it works without Mastery.

That said, Timbo has actually played it so... I'd love to hear that I'm wrong?

Gathering Light Concentration: Needs a successful Parry. Mastery means you just need to Parry one attack against you before your DV refreshes to use it, but without Mastery it's a pretty unusable Charm IMO. But it is a cap-breaker, and Single Point relies on Decisives. And Deebs don't get a lot of Onslaught negation. So... not completely useless: 4/10. (7/10 with Mastery.)

Shining Starfall Execution: Without mastery, 6m for +5 damage Decisive-only is "ok" (by contrast Mela's Coil gives +5 damage, Uniform, for 5m and gives you a Reflexive Rush to boot). 6/10. (8/10 with Mastery.)

Form: Terrestrial - Commit 10m: each round lose 1i unless you spend 1WP. If you spend 1WP, make an extra attack but lose 1i if that attack misses. Yikes. 1/10. (9/10 with Mastery.)

Fatal Flash Stroke: Terrestrial - You May Not Use This Charm. 0/10. (10/10 with Mastery.)

Liquid Steel Flow: Terrestrial - 5m for +5 Withering damage or +6 Decisive damage. Yeah that's still pretty good. Not great. 7/10. (10/10 with Mastery.)

Void-Slicing Wind: Terrestrial - "2m" 1WP Make a Melee attack from Medium range, Decisive-only. Still ok. 7/10. (7.5/10 without Terrestrial, very situational)

Horizon-Swallowed Star Flash: Terrestrial - Decisive Clash with bonus damage by giving up attack option. Very expensive for what it does. Within reach of a starting character though... 5/10. (8/10 with Mastery.)

Six-Demon Scabbard Binding: Terrestrial - defend against hostile magic with a Dex+Martial Arts roll that resets you to Base Initiative. This could be worse. It could be better. But it could be worse. 5/10. (9/10 with Mastery.)

Blinding Nova Flare: "Terrestrial - When Form Charm is active and you choose to spend WP, apply a -2 to your opponents defense for 2i instead of making an extra attack (and do not lose 1i). If you succeed in a Difficulty 5 Gambit, apply an additional -1 per success to a maximum total penality of -7. 1/scene." Combined with +9 Decisive damage from Liquid Steel Flow and Shining Starfall Execution... 2i 1WP for +2 non-Charm successes is a solid 7/10. (10/10 with Mastery.)

My curiosity is peaked enough to try it though...
                              Last edited by JohnDoe244; 02-14-2020, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                                My curiosity is peaked enough to try it though...
                                I'd do it myself but I don't know SP well enough. I'm also not sure if it's okay to supplement with base DB charms or not, or if that even matters if there's any good ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X