Exalted: Arena

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

I'm curious about where this is coming from. Is it just a symptom of everyone being combat monsters so every enemy needs to have defense 7+ with penalty negation? The damage bonus of DAT and TAT work out like this.
    For me, I will say that when I commented, I hadn't thought very carefully about it - I just remembered previously glancing at Steel Devil and thinking it wasn't very good. It's why I used a question mark. For instance, I think when I first looked at Steel Devil I probably thought you had to build up Charge slowly over time as described in the sidebar, and didn't realize you could max it on your Join Battle roll.

That said, I think that for evaluating Martial Arts styles on power level concerns for Solars, a typical scenario that comes up in a lot of Solar games and that will be somewhat difficult is a Wyld hunt or other fight against multiple DBs. Evaluating against, specifically, the Immaculates in the core book might be a good starting point. With stunt and excellency, their defenses are 8, 10, and 10.

One could also go to the other end of the spectrum and try a Essence 1, Dex 3, Martial Arts 3, Naked Fang Draw, Double Attack Technique non-combat-optimized Solar against easier foes.

The other thing is maybe it's better to say that the mechanics of Steel Devil Style are just a bit weird. For instance, having something called "charge" which you don't have to charge but in fact can max out before taking your first turn is a bit odd. Also, the fact that Triple Attack Technique is so devastating against weaker foes and comparably weaker against stronger ones is odd. Like, in general having some weaker allies in the fight is a risk, because they can be used to farm Initiative, but it's also a benefit, as they can steal a few points of Initiative, threaten a crash, threaten a decisive, or save you from losing Initiative. Steel Devil Style, by being so effective at farming initiative, makes them much more of a liability. I think it's probably possible to set up a fight of a Steel Devil stylists vs. another Exalt where the other Exalt easily wins if they don't bring their mortal retainer and easily loses if they do.

Comment

• Fighting a group of immaculate monks is about the only time you’re ever going to be fighting multiple opponents with excellencies and penalty negating charms though. That’s not just a bad place to start it’s basically Steel Devil’s worst matchup for judging if DAT works. Well okay a worse one would be multiple on one combat against the SD stylist.

I think we should start with the claw striders and if that works then maybe work up from there.

Comment

• I'll note that Lunars get a nice bonus to Double Attack Technique with Finding the Needles Eye subtracting 1 from defense which means they need to roll 2 less successes for a successfull double attack technique.

The real power of the style is in Dual-Slaying Stance though, which is a very strong form charm with the major drawback of costing 1wp. Since unlike Crane you don't have to use full defense you can take other actions like commanding battlegroups, casting spells. or singing battle-anthems while sitting at +2 parry and counterattacking.

If you save your wp and only go with the defensive form in harder fights and othewise use DAT to finnish the cannon fodder faster it doesn't look like a bad MA. It's not Single-Point or Righteous Devil but I feel it's on the level of Snake, Tiger, or Dreaming Pear Courtesan.

Comment

• It depends a lot on ST style and campaign as well, but that’s just how some MAs work. Golden Jannisary in a campaign where you only ever fight Creatures of Darkness once is a pretty bad choice for example.

When you’ve got things like Bloodapes or Clawstriders hanging around in the combat though, they’re not TOO hard to put down, but they’re pretty deadly. Being able to end and/or cripple a bloodape in one attack can make a pretty big difference. Then again that depends a lot on your party makeup though, if everyone is a Super combatant who are effectively immune to the Attacks of the enemies then you don’t really give a crap, and you’re probably fighting some homebrew mega-epic things anyway.

Comment

• So I literally just took characters from Tomb of Dreams and remade them using basically the same stats, but occasionally changing their combat ability, adding a few combat charms, and in the case of Darla the Devil a lot of combat charms. As well as giving some of them artifacts and specialties where it makes sense.

Avery the Archer ripped off MIrror Flag

2/3/2

6 Join Battle

Jade Longbow 10+2 (Damage 15/4) 5+2 accuacy for decisive attacks.
            Evasion 2+1
            Soak 7

Relevent Charms

Unobstructed Hunter's Aim
            Sky Calming Draw

Threshold Warding Stance
            Flickering Candle Meditation

Awareness Excellency

Ox Body Technique x2

-0x1/-1x2/-2x6/-4x1/I

39m

Darla the Devil, ripped off Faka Kun

2/5/2

10 Join Battle

Jade Dualblades 16+6 (Damage 12/4) 11+6 for decisive
            Parry 6
            Soak 2

Relevent charms

All of Steel Devil up to Essence 2 and Become the Hammer.

two ox bodies

Awareness excellency

-0x1/-1x2/-2x6/-4x1/I

39m

Sally the Swordsman, ripped off Fire Orchid

3/3/3

7 Join Battle

Straightsword 10+5 (Damage 12/5) 8+5 for decisive
            Parry 5+2
            Soak 8

Relevant charms

Stoking Bonfire Style
            Burning Fury Wreath
            Graceful Flowing Defense
            Crimson Fang Bite
            Crossfire Flash

Oxbody x2

Awareness excellency

-0x1/-1x4/-2x4/-4x1/I

44m

And Thorton the Thrower, ripping off Iay Selak
            2/2/3

6 join battle

Throwing Knives 8+3 (Damage 9) 5+3 for decisive
            Evasion 3+2
            Soak 6

Relevent charms

Seekign Throw Technique
            Armor-Rupturing Fang

Threshold Warding Stance
            Flicering Candle Meditation
            Hopping Firecracker Evasion

oxbody x2

Awareness excellency

-0x1/-1x4/-2x4/-4x1/I

44m

I also had Brent the Brawler ripping off Volfer, but with some less combat focused charms because I gave so many to Faka Kun, but I couldn't run a 5v5. It's a shame though, with a charm that adds the enemy's onslaught penalty to your damage combined with onslaught penalties up to -5 in this fight, it could have been good.

Avery will join battle, spending 2m rolling 6 dice for 7i
            Darla will spend 5m for Naked Fang Draw, rolling 10 dice for 9i
            Sally will spend 2m rolling 7 dice for 8i
            Thorton will spend 2m for 9i

Claw1 rolls 4 dice +1wp for 5i
            Claw2 rolls 4 dice +1wp for 7i
            Claw3 rolls 4 dice +1wp for 4i
            Claw4 rolls 4 dice +1wp for 9i

Darla fills her charge gauge

Avery 7i 37m 5wp
            Darla 2i 34m 5wp 7charge
            Sally 8i 42m 5wp
            Thorton 9i 42m 5wp
            Claw1 5i 4wp
            Claw2 7i 4wp
            Claw3 4i 4wp
            Claw4 9i 4wp

Round 1
            ==============
            Claw4 is going to attempt a decisive claw attack against Thorton, spending a willpower to boost the damage, Thorton will clash, spending 3m into his throwing knife attack. Clawstrider rolls 12+3 for 7 successes, and Thorton rolls 13 for only 5.

Clawstrider deals 12 damage and gets 6 successes.

Avery 7i 37m 5wp
            Darla 2i 34m 5wp 7charge
            Sally 8i 42m 5wp
            Thorton *9i 39m 5wp Onslaught(-2) 6L(-2s)
            Claw1 5i 4wp
            Claw2 7i 4wp
            Claw3 4i 4wp
            Claw4 *3i 3wp Onslaught(-1)

--------------
            Sally then goes, attempting to wither Claw2, spending 5m to excellency and 3m 1wp on Crimson Fang Bite. Rolling 15 successes for 6, then rolling 10 damage for 6, just barely missing the crash.

Avery 7i 37m 5wp
            Darla 2i 34m 5wp 7charge
            Sally *15i 34m 4wp
            Claw1 5i 4wp
            Claw2 1i 4wp Onslaught(-1)
            Claw3 4i 4wp

--------------
            Avery attempts to go for Claw1, spending 2m for 12 dice, getting 8, and then rolling 12 damage for 10, crashing Claw1.

Avery *23i 35m 5wp
            Darla 2i 34m 5wp 7charge
            Sally *15i 34m 4wp
            Claw1 -5i 4wp Onslaught(-1)
            Claw3 4i 4wp

--------------
            Claw3 goes, decisive Sally with a claw attack, spending a willpower to boost damage and rolling 12+4 dice, Sally will defend with a 4m excellency. Claw3 gets a total of 9 successes and hits sally, rolling 7 damage for 4, putting Sally into -1s.

Avery *23i 35m 5wp
            Darla 2i 34m 5wp 7charge
            Sally *15i 30m 4wp Onslaught(-1) 4L(-1s)
            Claw3 *3i 3wp

--------------
            Darla will now wither Claw2, with a 6m full excellency and 3m DAT, and stunt, Claw2 will stunt. Rolling 24 dice for 13 successes, then rolling 17 damage for 11 after rerolls. Crashing Claw2

Avery *23i 35m 5wp
            Darla *19i 25m 5wp 7charge
            Sally *15i 30m 4wp Onslaught(-1) 4L(-1s)
            Claw2 -10i 4wp Onslaught(-4)
            Claw3 *3i 3wp

--------------
            Claw1 will now go, firing off a withering bite against Sally, spending a willpower, who will spend 4m to excellency, and 2m 1i for Graceful Flowing Defense. Rolling 8+4 dice for 7, hitting by 1. Then rolling 8 damage for 6.

Avery *23i 35m 5wp
            Sally *8i 24m 4wp Onslaught(-2) 4L(-1s)
            Claw1 *1i 3wp
            Claw2 -10i 4wp Onslaught(-4)
            Claw3 *3i 3wp

--------------
            Claw 2 will now attack Sally with a withering bite, who will defend the same way, and just barely hit with 6 successes, then rolling 7 damage for 3

Avery *23i 35m 5wp
            Sally *5i 24m 4wp Onslaught(-2) 4L(-1s)
            Claw1 *1i 3wp
            Claw2 *-7i 4wp
            Claw3 *3i 3wp

Round 2
            ==============
            Avery 23i 39m 5wp
            Darla 19i 30m 5wp 7charge
            Sally 5i 29m 4wp Onslaught(-2) 4L(-1s)
            Thorton 9i 44m 5wp Onslaught(-2) 6L(-2s)
            Claw1 1i 3wp
            Claw2 -7i 4wp
            Claw3 3i 3wp
            Claw4 3i 3wp Onslaught(-1)

Avery will go for a decisive strike against Claw4, spending 2m to get 7 dice, and missing with only one success.

Avery *20i 37m 5wp
            Darla 19i 30m 5wp 7charge
            Claw1 1i 3wp
            Claw2 -7i 4wp
            Claw3 3i 3wp
            Claw4 3i 3wp Onslaught(-2)

--------------
            Darla will strike Claw4 with a withering attack, using 6m excellency and 3m DAT, Claw4 will stunt to defend and spend a willpower. Rolling 24 dice for 11 successes, then rolling 15 damage for 7, crashing Claw4.

Darla will reflexively use 5m 1wp to reflexively lauch Steel Devil Strike against Claw3, who will defend with a willpower. Rolling 11+2 dice for 6, hitting Claw3, and rolling 13 damage for...only 3. not enough to make them flee.

Avery *20i 37m 5wp
            Darla *19i 16m 4wp 7charge
            Claw1 1i 3wp
            Claw2 -7i 4wp
            Claw3 3i 3wp Onslaught(-1) 3L(-1s)
            Claw4 -4i 3wp Onslaught(-5)

--------------
            Thorton will go next, attempting to finish off claw4 with a decisive strike, spending 2m to get 5 dice, and hitting defense 0, with only one success. Then rolling 9 damage for 3, causing Claw4 to flee.

Avery *20i 37m 5wp
            Thorton *3i 42m 5wp 6L(-2s)
            Claw1 1i 3wp
            Claw2 -7i 4wp
            Claw3 3i 3wp Onslaught(-1) 3L(-1s)

--------------
            Sally will then attempt to wither Claw3, spending 5m to excellency. Rolling 14 dice for 9 successes, then rolling 12 damage for 5, crashing Claw3.

Avery *20i 37m 5wp
            Sally *16i 24m 4wp 4L(-1s)
            Claw1 1i 3wp
            Claw2 -7i 4wp
            Claw3 -2i 3wp Onslaught(-2) 3L(-1s)

--------------
            Claw1 will attempt a decisive claw strike on sally, boosting damage, who will defend with 4m, and 2m 1i Graceful Flowing Defense. Rolling 12+2 and hitting with 8, then rolling 3 damage for 2L

Avery *20i 37m 5wp
            Sally *15i 18m 4wp Onslaught(-1) 6L(-2s)
            Claw1 *3i 3wp
            Claw2 -7i 4wp
            Claw3 -2i 3wp Onslaught(-2) 3L(-1s)

--------------
            Claw3 will now attempt to withering bite sally, who will defend with 4m and 2m 1i GFD. Rolling 8+2 for 6, hitting Sally, and dealing only one damage on 8 dice.

Avery *20i 37m 5wp
            Sally *14i 12m 4wp Onslaught(-2) 6L(-2s)
            Claw1 *3i 3wp
            Claw2 -7i 4wp
            Claw3 0i 3wp 3L(-1s)

--------------
            Claw2 will now wither Sally, who won't bother spending motes to defend, getting 7 to hit and then rolling 13 damage dice for 8 damage, pulling out of crash.

Avery *20i 37m 5wp
            Sally *4i 12m 4wp Onslaught(-2) 6L(-2s)
            Claw1 *3i 3wp
            Claw2 1i 4wp
            Claw3 0i 3wp 3L(-1s)

Round 3
            ==============
            Avery 20i 42m 5wp
            Darla 19i 21m 4wp 7charge
            Sally 4i 17m 4wp Onslaught(-2) 6L(-2s)
            Thorton 3i 44m 5wp 6L(-2s)
            Claw1 3i 3wp
            Claw2 1i 4wp
            Claw3 0i 3wp 3L(-1s)

Avery tries to decsive Claw2, spending a willpower and 2m to get 7 dice, hitting with 6, and dealing 6 damage, enough to cause it to flee and end the fight.

That Steel Devil Strike dealing only 3 damage on 13 dice really sucked, if it hadn't been for that it would have taken out two potential decisive damage dealers in one turn. I think I'd need to do more testing, but I think this crew might be a bit soft to take on their like number in greenmaws, so maybe like 2-3 greenmaws or something.

I forgot how well the system actually works at making tense meaningful battles when not everyone is min-maxed to the fullest.

Comment

• Okay so I swapped out Avery for Brent and ran it against three Greenmaws.

This really gave me the feeling of "This is how Exalted is meant to be played." I kind of wish I'd listened to my own advice and launched a decisive slam attack with the first grapple gambit, but it worked out anyway.

I'm not really impressed by the way Steel Devil performed, but I don't necessarily hate it either. Building onslaught and wound penalties to easily get off your Triple Attack Technique definitely seemed to work, but it did involve occasionally delaying her action to get the most out of onslaught, and convincing her ally to launch a low initiative decisive to get her wound penalty stacking. Although the upside is that her penalty stacking with triple onslaught penalty really put the Greenmaw into the ground, and let the Water Brawl character take a huge advantage of that. Getting five damage for 2m with Pounding Surf style was great.

You really feel the combination of stunt+willpower against DAT though.

Something else I noticed though is that Steel Devil can keep you pretty safe, interestingly. Because of the way it attacks, and deals decisive damage with Steel Devil Strike, you can stay at relatively high initiative, without being SO high at enemies want to wither you to try and bring you down before you hit them.

Brent the Brawler - Ripped off of Volfer

5/3/4

7 Join Battle

Fist 13+6 (Damage 12/1) 9+6 for decisive
              Parry 5+3
              Soak 9 (Jade light armor)

Relevent charms

Become the Hammer
              Pounding Surf Style
              Blade Deflecting Palm
              Water Dragon Coils
              Inescapable Whirlpool Hold
              Hammering Wave Technique

Ox body x2

Awareness excellency

-0x1/-1x4/-2x4/-4x1/I

40m

Fight

Brent uses 2m and gets 8i
              Darla uses 5m Naked Fang Draw getting 13i
              Sally uses 2m and gets 10i
              Thorton uses 2m and gets 7i

Greenmaw1 uses a willpower and gets 9i
              Greenmaw2 uses a willpower and gets 8i
              Greenmaw3 uses a willpower and gets...

For 13i

Darla will miss out on beating all opponents and will have to spend 7i to fill charge

Brent 8i 38m 5wp
              Darla 6i 34m 5wp 7charge
              Sally 10i 42m 5wp
              Thorton 7i 42m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 9i
              Greenmaw2 8i
              Greenmaw3 13i

Round 1
              ==============
              Greenmaw3 goes for a grapple gambit using 3i Swaying Sundew Tongue and stunt against Sally who will defend with a 4m excellency and stunt. Rolling 10 dice with double 8s the greenmaw gets 8 successes, and just hits.

Locking in the grapple only just with 2 successes on 10 initiative dice.

Then rolling 10 dice for control with double 8s and getting a terrible 3 against 3 dice getting zero.

Brent 8i 38m 5wp
              Darla 6i 34m 5wp 7charge
              Sally 10i 38m 5wp
              Thorton 7i 42m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 9i
              Greenmaw2 8i
              Greenmaw3 7i

Greenmaw3 will then attempt a withering bite, dealing 9 withering damage, and just barely not crashing Sally.

Brent 8i 38m 5wp
              Darla 6i 34m 5wp 7charge
              Sally 1i 38m 5wp Grappled(-2) Onslaught(-1)
              Thorton 7i 42m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 9i
              Greenmaw2 8i
              Greenmaw3 *17i Grappled (-2)

--------------
              Greenmaw1 will now attack Sally with a withering tail slam. Sally will defend with 4m excellency.

Rolling 10 dice for 6, it hits. Then rolling 11 damage for a pathetic 2, but still crashing Sally.

Brent 8i 38m 5wp
              Darla 6i 34m 5wp 7charge
              Sally 1i 34m 5wp Grappled(-2) Onslaught(-2)
              Thorton 7i 42m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 *17i
              Greenmaw2 8i

--------------
              Brent and Greenmaw2 now both go, and they will clash.

Brent spending 6m on an excellency, and 5m on Hammering Wave Technique. Greenmaw 2 will use 1i Unbroken Root Endurance while clashing with a tail slam.

Brent rolls 19 dice for 12 successes, the greenmaw 10 dice for 5. Then rolling 9 damage for a total of 6.

Brent *15i 27m 5wp Onslaught(-1)
              Darla 6i 34m 5wp 7charge
              Thorton 7i 42m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 *17i
              Greenmaw2 *1i Onslaught(-2)

--------------
              Thorton will make a withering attack against Greenmaw3, with 3m excellency. Greenmaw 3 will defend with 1i Unbroken Root Endurance. Rolling 11 dice for 8 successees, then rolling only 1 damage for nothing.

Darla 6i 34m 5wp 7charge
              Thorton *7i 39m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 *17i
              Greenmaw3 *17i Grappled (-2) Onslaught(-1)

--------------
              Darla will now wither Greenmaw3, with a stunt, full excellency and 3m DAT. Greenmaw will defend with a stunt and a willpower.

Sally rolls 24 dice for 9 successes, just activating TAT. Rolling 5 damage for 2. Sally is free from the grapple

Darla *9i 25m 5wp 7charge
              Sally 1i 34m 5wp Onslaught(-2)
              Thorton *7i 39m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 *17i
              Greenmaw3 *15i Onslaught(-4)

--------------
              Sally will now go, attacking greenmaw3 with 5m excellency and 3m 1wp Crimson Fang Bite. Rolling 15 dice for 6 and hitting, then 8 damage for another 2.

Darla *9i 25m 5wp 7charge
              Sally *4i 22m 4wp
              Thorton *7i 39m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 *17i
              Greenmaw3 *13i Onslaught(-5)

Round 2
              ===========

Brent 15i 32m 5wp Onslaught(-1)
              Darla 9i 30m 5wp 7charge
              Sally 4i 27m 4wp
              Thorton 7i 44m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 17i
              Greenmaw2 1i Onslaught(-2)
              Greenmaw3 13i Onslaught(-5)

Greenmaw1 is going to attempt a grapple gambit against Brent, using 3i for Swaying Sundew Tongue. Brent will use 6m excllency

The greenmaw ends up with 4 successes and misses.

Brent 15i 26m 5wp Onslaught(-1)
              Darla 9i 30m 5wp 7charge
              Sally 4i 27m 4wp
              Thorton 7i 44m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 *11i
              Greenmaw3 13i Onslaught(-5)

--------------
              Brent will attack Greenmaw 3 with a withering strike, using 5m for Hammering Wave, 1m excellency, and 2m for pounding surf style. Rolling 14 dice for 6. Then rolling 13 damage for 6 after rerolls.

Brent *22i 18m 5wp Onslaught(-1)
              Darla 9i 30m 5wp 7charge
              Sally 4i 27m 4wp
              Thorton 7i 44m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 11i
              Greenmaw3 7i Onslaught(-6)

--------------
              Darla then goes, attacking Greenmaw3 with 3m DAT, 1m excellency. Rolling 16 dice for 10, and then rolling 15 damage for 10 damage, crashing Greenmaw 7.

Darla 25i 26m 5wp 7charge
              Sally 4i 27m 4wp
              Thorton 7i 44m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 11i
              Greenmaw3 -3i Onslaught(-9)

Darla then spends 5m 1wp to Steel Devil Strike, directing it at Greenmaw1, and enhancing it with a 2m excellency. Rolling 13 dice for 9 total, and then rolling 16 damage for 8, putting Greenmaw1 into its -2s.

Darla *9i 19m 4wp 7charge
              Sally 4i 27m 4wp
              Thorton 7i 44m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 11i Onslaught(-1) 8L(-2s)

--------------
              Greenmaw1 will attempt a decisive tail slam against Brent spending a willpower, who will spend 6m to defend. Rolling 8 dice and getting 5 successes total, missing.

Brent *22i 10m 5wp Onslaught(-1)
              Sally 4i 27m 4wp
              Thorton 7i 44m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 *8i 8L(-2s)

--------------
              Thorton then goes, making a withering attack against Greenmaw3, with a 3m excellency. He....misses. No successes. On 11 dice.

Sally 4i 27m 4wp
              Thorton *7i 41m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 *8i 8L(-2s)
              Greenmaw3 -3i Onslaught(-10)

--------------
              Sally will now go, attempting to wither Greenmaw2 with a 4m excllency. Rolling 14 dice for 7, then rolling 5 damage for 2, crashing Greenmaw2.

Sally *11i 23m 4wp
              Thorton *7i 41m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 *8i 8L(-2s)
              Greenmaw2 -1i Onslaught(-3)

--------------
              Greenmaw2 is going to attempt a withering tail slam against Thorton, spending a willpower, who will spend 4m to excellency his evasion, and a willpower. Rolling 10 dice for only 3, this misses Thorton by 2.

Thorton activates 3m 2i Hopping Firecracker Evasion and dodges out to Short range.

Sally *11i 23m 4wp
              Thorton *5i 34m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 *8i 8L(-2s)
              Greenmaw2 *-1i

--------------
              Greenmaw3 will now attempt a withering tail slam against Brent, spending a willpower, who will spend 4m to defend with 1i Blade Deflecting Palm. Rolling 10+1 dice for 6 he actually hits, but with a 1 Brent spends 1m to force him to reroll an 8 into a 6, and miss.

Brent *21i 5m 5wp Onslaught(-2)
              Sally *11i 23m 4wp
              Thorton *5i 34m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 *8i 8L(-2s)
              Greenmaw2 *-1i
              Greenmaw3 -3i

Round 3
              ===========
              Brent 21i 10m 5wp Onslaught(-2)
              Darla 9i 24m 4wp 7charge
              Sally 11i 28m 4wp
              Thorton 5i 39m 5wp
              Greenmaw1 8i 8L(-2s)
              Greenmaw2 -1i
              Greenmaw3 -3i

Brent goes in for a decisive attack against Greenmaw 1, spending 5m for Hammering Wave Technique, and 1m excellency. Greenmaw1 will spend a willpower to defend. Rolling 14 dice for 7 and hitting, then getting 13 successes to slay Greenmaw 1 outright.

Brent *3i 4m 5wp
              Darla 9i 24m 4wp 7charge
              Sally 11i 28m 4wp
              Thorton 5i 39m 5wp
              Greenmaw2 -1i
              Greenmaw3 -3i

--------------
              Sally now goes, attempting a decisive attack against Greenmaw 2, and spending 4m to excellency it. Rolling 14 dice for 2 successes and missing.

Brent *3i 4m 5wp
              Darla 9i 24m 4wp 7charge
              Sally *8i 24m 4wp
              Thorton 5i 39m 5wp
              Greenmaw2 -1i Onslaught (-1)
              Greenmaw3 -3i

--------------
              Darla aims at Greenmaw 2.

Brent *3i 4m 5wp
              Darla *9i 24m 4wp 7charge
              Sally *8i 24m 4wp
              Thorton 5i 39m 5wp
              Greenmaw2 -1i Onslaught (-1)
              Greenmaw3 -3i

--------------
              Thorton goes for a decisive strike against Greenmaw2, who will spend a willpower to defend, using a full excellency and rolling 5 successes, just hitting. Rolling 5i for only one damage, not enough to generate a wound penalty.

Brent *3i 4m 5wp
              Sally *8i 24m 4wp
              Thorton *3i 36m 5wp
              Greenmaw2 -1i Onslaught (-1) 1L(-0s)
              Greenmaw3 -3i

--------------
              Greenmaw2 will go for a withering tail slam against Brent, spending a willpower to do so, Brent will spend 4m to defend. Rolling 10 dice for 5 total and missing.

Brent *3i 0m 5wp Onslaught(-1)
              Sally *8i 24m 4wp
              Thorton *3i 36m 5wp
              Greenmaw2 *-1i 1L(-0s)
              Greenmaw3 -3i

--------------
              Greenmaw3 will do the same, Brent will spend a willpower on this. Greenmaw3 hits with 5 successes. Rolling 8 damage for a sad 2, not pulling out of crash.

Brent *1i 0m 4wp Onslaught(-2)
              Sally *8i 24m 4wp
              Thorton *3i 36m 5wp
              Greenmaw2 *-1i 1L(-0s)
              Greenmaw3 0i

Round 4
              ===========
              Brent 1i 5m 4wp Onslaught(-2)
              Darla 9i 29m 4wp 7charge
              Sally 8i 29m 4wp
              Thorton 3i 41m 5wp
              Greenmaw2 -1i 1L(-0s)
              Greenmaw3 0i

Darla will spend 1i to delay her action.

Darla 7i 29m 4wp 7charge
              Sally 8i 29m 4wp
              Thorton 3i 41m 5wp
              Greenmaw2 -1i 1L(-0s)
              Greenmaw3 0i

--------------
              Sally will attempt a decisive strike against Greenmaw 2, with 5 mote excellency. With 13 dice she just hits, and rolls 8 damage for 4, putting it into -1s.

Darla 7i 29m 4wp 7charge
              Sally *3i 24m 4wp
              Thorton 3i 41m 5wp
              Greenmaw2 -1i 5L(-1s) Onslaught(-1)
              Greenmaw3 0i

--------------
              Thorton will wither Greenmaw2, with a 3m excellency, rolling 11 dice for 6, and then 1 damage for nothing.

Darla 7i 29m 4wp 7charge
              Sally *3i 24m 4wp
              Thorton *3i 41m 5wp
              Greenmaw2 -1i 5L(-1s) Onslaught(-2)
              Greenmaw3 0i

--------------
              Brent will go and fire off a withering strike against Greenmaw2, not enhancing it. Rolling 13 dice for 6 and hitting, and then rolling 1 damage for nothing again.

Brent *1i 5m 4wp
              Darla 7i 29m 4wp 7charge
              Sally *3i 24m 4wp
              Thorton *3i 41m 5wp
              Greenmaw2 -1i 5L(-1s) Onslaught(-3)
              Greenmaw3 0i

--------------
              Now Darla chooses to act, making a withering attack against Greenmaw2, with a full excellency, stunt, and TAT. Greenmaw2 will stunt and spend a willpower to defend. Rolling 27 dice for 20 successes, she hits Greenmaw2 solidly.

She rolls 19 damage for 12.

Brent *1i 5m 4wp
              Darla 20i 20m 4wp 7charge
              Sally *3i 24m 4wp
              Thorton *3i 41m 5wp
              Greenmaw2 -3i 5L(-1s) Onslaught(-3)
              Greenmaw3 0i

She will then immidiately use 5m 1wp Steel Devil Strike on Greenmaw 2, hitting automatically and dealing 5 damage.

Brent *1i 5m 4wp
              Darla 7i 15m 1wp 7charge
              Sally *3i 24m 4wp
              Thorton *3i 41m 5wp
              Greenmaw2 -3i 10L(-2s) Onslaught(-3)
              Greenmaw3 0i

She will then spend 4m 1wp to immidiately unleash an Empty Mind Strike against the same target, hitting easily and rolling 9 damage for 5, slaying Greenmaw2 and ending this combat as four exalts vs one elemental is not a fight.

Brent *1i 5m 4wp
              Darla *7i 11m 2wp 7charge
              Sally *3i 24m 4wp
              Thorton *3i 41m 5wp
              Greenmaw3 0i

Comment

• Here is a fight of Octavian against a full circle of PCs, four of them have this setup, they're just completely generic and exactly the same, but represent an average. Some members might be a little worse, some a little better, but they have 3 in all their physical stats and 3 in their combat ability.

Daiklave 9 boostable to 15 (Damage 15/5 boostable to 18)
                Parry 4 boostable to 7
                Soak 8 boostable to effectively 13

Excellent Strike
                Fire and Stones Strike
                Dipping Swallow
                Durability of Oak Meditation
                Spirit Strengthens the Skin

And the Dawn has this one

Short Daiklaves 16 (Damage 14/4)
                Parry 6
                Soak 8
                Join Battle of 10

Charms Naked Fang Draw
                Double Attack Tech
                Triple Attack Tech
                Steel Devil Strike

Fight

Octavian rolls into battle, using 10m to full excellency and stunt his roll, rolling 12 dice for 7, getting a starting initiative of 15

SDS uses 5m Naked Fang Draw and 4m excellency, with a stunt. Rolling 16+3 dice for 11, total initiative of 14i. reflexively she will fill her charge bar and go down to 6i.

PC1 uses 6m excellency and stunt to roll 14 dice for 12i
                PC2 uses 6m excellency and stunt to roll 14 dice for 11i
                PC3 uses 6m excellency and stunt to roll 14 dice for 10i
                PC4 uses 6m excellency and stunt to roll 14 dice for 8i

Oct 15i 100m 10wp
                SDS 6i 52m 5wp 8Charge
                PC1 12i 55m 5wp
                PC2 11i 55m 5wp
                PC3 10i 55m 5wp
                PC4 8i 55m 5wp

Round 1
                ==============
                Octavian is going to spend 10m 1wp to use Principle of Motion, first making a decisive attack against PC1, using 10m to full excellency it. PC1 will spend 6m to excellency defense up to 7. Octavian rolls 14+5 dice for 10, hitting, then rolling 15 damage for 4 levels of lethal.

Oct 3i 80m 9wp
                SDS 6i 52m 5wp 8Charge
                PC1 12i 55m 5wp 4L(-1s) Onslaught(-1)
                PC2 11i 55m 5wp
                PC3 10i 55m 5wp
                PC4 8i 55m 5wp

Then Octavian will make a second attack against the same target, withering this time, spending 10m to excellency. PC1 will spend 2m to Dipping Swallow, and 6m to full excellency back to 7, also adding 3m Durability of Oak and 3m to Spirit Strengthens the Skin. Rolling 14+5 for 11 Octavian hits. Then rolling 10 withering damage for an impressive 8!

Oct *12i 70m 9wp
                SDS 6i 52m 5wp 8Charge
                PC1 4i 35m 5wp 4L(-1s) Onslaught(-2)
                PC2 11i 55m 5wp
                PC3 10i 55m 5wp
                PC4 8i 55m 5wp
                ---------------

PC2 then acts, sending a withering hit into Octavian with a 3m Excellent Strike, 4m excellency, 3m Fire and Stones Strike. Octavian will defend with 10m 2i Superior Strength Reversal, reflexively clashing it, and also spending 10m to excellency it. Rolling 11+5 he gets a great 14 successes, PC2 rolling gets him only 9.

Oct *10i 50m 9wp Onslaught(-1)
                SDS 6i 52m 5wp 8Charge
                PC2 11i 45m 5wp Onslaught(-2)
                PC3 10i 55m 5wp
                PC4 8i 55m 5wp

Octavian then rolls to lock in the grapple, rolling 10 dice for 3, getting it. Then spending 10m on the control roll, and rolling unopposed gets Octavian a pool of 17+5, 11 rounds of control!

Oct *7i 40m 9wp Onslaught(-1) Grappled(-2) 11 rounds
                SDS 6i 52m 5wp 8Charge
                PC2 *11i 45m 5wp Onslaught(-2) Grappled(-2)
                PC3 10i 55m 5wp
                PC4 8i 55m 5wp

---------------
                PC3 then goes, also using 3m Excellent Strike, 4m Excellency, and 3m Fire and Stones Strike. Octavian will defend with 7m Invincible Iron Bastion, rolling his 7i for only one, and choosing not to bother to spend it to raise his parry.

PC3 rolls 15 dice for 8, beating Octavian by 4, then rolling 5 damage for 3.

Oct *4i 33m 9wp Onslaught(-2) Grappled(-2) 9 rounds
                SDS 6i 52m 5wp 8Charge
                PC3 *14i 45m 5wp
                PC4 8i 55m 5wp

---------------
                PC4 will now attack Octavian, using 3m Excellent Strike, 4m Excellency, 3m Fire and Stones Strike. Octavian will not spend to defend. Rolling 15 dice for 9, and then rolling 7 damage for only one.

Oct *4i 33m 9wp Onslaught(-3) Grappled(-2) 7 rounds
                SDS 6i 52m 5wp 8Charge
                PC3 *14i 45m 5wp
                PC4 *10i 45m 5wp

---------------
                SDS will now go, spending 10m to excellency, 3m to Double Attack Technique, and stunt. Octavian will stunt, spend a willpower, and spend 7m to use Iron Bastion, rolling 4i for 3 and spending all three to boost defense. Rolling 28 dice against a defense of 7 SDS gets 17, activating DAT but not TAT.

Then rolling 6 damage for 5, crashing Octavian

Oct *-4i 26m 8wp Onslaught(-5)
                SDS *17i 39m 5wp 8Charge
                PC2 *11i 45m 5wp Onslaught(-2)
                PC3 *14i 45m 5wp
                PC4 *10i 45m 5wp

---------------
                PC1 will now go, launching a withering attack with 3m excellent strike, 4m excellency, and 3m Fire and Stones Strike. Rolling 12+1 dice for 14 after rerolls, amazing. Then rolling 13 damage for 9.

Oct *-13i 26m 8wp Onslaught(-6)
                SDS *17i 39m 5wp 8Charge
                PC1 *14i 25m 5wp 4L(-1s)
                PC2 *11i 45m 5wp Onslaught(-2)
                PC3 *14i 45m 5wp
                PC4 *10i 45m 5wp

Round 2
                ===============
                Oct -13i 31m 8wp Onslaught(-6)
                SDS 17i 44m 5wp 8Charge
                PC1 14i 30m 5wp 4L(-1s)
                PC2 11i 50m 5wp Onslaught(-2)
                PC3 14i 50m 5wp
                PC4 10i 50m 5wp

SDS goes, spending 10m to full excellency, and 3m for DAT. Octavian will stunt and spend a willpower. Rolling 28 dice against a parry of 3 and getting 13, activating TAT. Then rolling 20 damage dice for only 7. Then spending 5m for Steel Devil Strike, automatically hitting and dealing 3 lethal damage.

Oct -13i 31m 8wp 3L(-0s) Onslaught(-10)
                SDS *17i 31m 5wp 8Charge
                PC1 14i 30m 5wp 4L(-1s)
                PC3 14i 50m 5wp
                PC4 10i 50m 5wp

---------------
                Next PC1 goes, using a 3m Fire and Stones Strike, 3m Excellent Strike, and stunting to hit with a decisive attack, getting more than 3 successes, then rolling 17 damage for 4.

Oct -13i 31m 8wp 7L(-1s) Onslaught(-11)
                SDS *17i 31m 5wp 8Charge
                PC1 *3i 24m 5wp 4L(-1s)
                PC3 14i 50m 5wp
                PC4 10i 50m 5wp

---------------
                Next PC3 goes, doing the same, and rolling 17 damage for 5 damage.

Oct -13i 31m 8wp 12L(-1s) Onslaught(-12)
                SDS *17i 31m 5wp 8Charge
                PC1 *3i 24m 5wp 4L(-1s)
                PC3 *3i 44m 5wp
                PC4 10i 50m 5wp

---------------
                PC2 goes, doing the same, and rolling 14 damage for 7.

Oct -13i 31m 8wp 19L(-2s) Onslaught(-13)
                SDS *17i 31m 5wp 8Charge
                PC1 *3i 24m 5wp 4L(-1s)
                PC2 *3i 44m 5wp
                PC3 *3i 44m 5wp
                PC4 10i 50m 5wp

---------------
                PC4 again the same, although only getting 1 success on 8 dice and rolling only 12 damage. Which....ends up rolling 9 successes

Oct -13i 31m 8wp 28L(-4s) Onslaught(-14)
                SDS *17i 31m 5wp 8Charge
                PC1 *3i 24m 5wp 4L(-1s)
                PC2 *3i 44m 5wp
                PC3 *3i 44m 5wp
                PC4 *3i 50m 5wp

---------------
                Octavian acts once more, spending 30m to flurry two withering attacks into PC1. PC1 will use 2m to dipping swallow, 6m to raise parry, 3m to Durability of Oak, 3m to Spirit Strengthens the Skin.

Octavian rolls 10+5 dice for...5 successes, whiffing his first attack.

PC1 will do the same for the second attack, but doesn't have the motes to full excellency so she will use only 2 on it. Rolling 10+5 dice gives Octavian 8 successes, hitting by 3, then rolling 9 damage for 4

Oct *-9i 1m 8wp 28L(-4s)
                SDS *17i 31m 5wp 8Charge
                PC1 *3i 24m 5wp 4L(-1s)
                PC2 *3i 44m 5wp
                PC3 *3i 44m 5wp
                PC4 *3i 50m 5wp

Round 3
                ===============
                Oct -9i 5m 8wp 28L(-4s)
                SDS 17i 36m 5wp 8Charge
                PC1 3i 29m 5wp 4L(-1s)
                PC2 3i 49m 5wp
                PC3 3i 49m 5wp
                PC4 3i 55m 5wp

I think we can call that there as Octavian has 2 health levels left and everyone can just keep launching decisive attacks in there.

Total curbstomp.

Comment

• Wait, why didn't Octavian do anything after landing that grapple? He could have put that guy through a wall but instead he just gave himself a -2 to defense for no reason. Not saying it would have changed the final result but he kinda threw the fight right there.

You didn't mention it but I assume all the pcs had some Ox-Bodies -- 16 decisive dice from the throw plus a medium range fall (4 levels and 7 dice) would have definitely killed pc2 with one Ox-Body, very likely with 2 Ox Bodies, and about 1/3 chances with 3 Ox-Bodies. If Octavian had thrown him at pc1 who was already injured he would have had a good chance of killing them both. He would most likely still have gotten crashed and deathspiralled by the other 3 pcs but at least it wouldn't have been so one-sided.

Edit: now that I think of it RAW there's no reason he couldn't have also supplemented the throw with Crimson Spray Blur to force 2 pcs to either take a crippling injury or another 6 dice of damage, plus the venom from Black Oil; either choice would have probably taken them out of the fight entirely.
                  Last edited by BadassOverlord; 06-28-2020, 10:37 PM.

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

• Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
                    Wait, why didn't Octavian do anything after landing that grapple? He could have put that guy through a wall but instead he just gave himself a -2 to defense for no reason. Not saying it would have changed the final result but he kinda threw the fight right there.
                    Savaging a character only happens on your turn. It does include the turn you initiate the grapple in that, but a reflexive grapple doesn't happen on your turn.

Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
                    now that I think of it RAW there's no reason he couldn't have also supplemented the throw with Crimson Spray Blur to force 2 pcs to either take a crippling injury or another 6 dice of damage, plus the venom from Black Oil; either choice would have probably taken them out of the fight entirely.
                    Crimson Spray Blur is a simple charm, and must be activated on your turn.

Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
                    You didn't mention it but I assume all the pcs had some Ox-Bodies -- 16 decisive dice from the throw plus a medium range fall (4 levels and 7 dice) would have definitely killed pc2 with one Ox-Body, very likely with 2 Ox Bodies, and about 1/3 chances with 3 Ox-Bodies. If Octavian had thrown him at pc1 who was already injured he would have had a good chance of killing them both. He would most likely still have gotten crashed and deathspiralled by the other 3 pcs but at least it wouldn't have been so one-sided.
                    I did assume the characters had an ox body or two, but there's a reason I flurried Decisive into Withering instead of going for like a big grapple attack into a Horizon Hurled Stars decisive throw, and that's because it would have left Octavian at 3i. When you're at 3i, and a group of Solars all get to take two turns in a row against you, you're so screwed, especially if all your defensive charms cost initiative to use.

I mean, I was pretty sure he was totally screwed anyway, but I ran the fight to see for myself.

Comment

• Steel Devil Chargen DB v Volfer

Steel Devil

Note: My own foibles/house rules on display – if you’re going to dual-wield medium weapons I can’t bring myself to not take the ambidextrous merit, and I think paired reaper daiklaves are simply better than equivalent short daiklaves so have counted them as a four-dot artefact. If disarmed, Zaheer’d have lost both of ‘em.

Ophris Kohli Zaheer
                      Earth Aspect
                      Clan Ophris

Strength 2
                      Dexterity 5
                      Stamina 5

Charisma 1
                      Manipulation 1
                      Appearance 5

Perception 3
                      Intelligence 1
                      Wits 5

Earth Aspect Abilities (and Specialities)

Awareness 5 (Join Battle)
                      Craft 0
                      Integrity 4
                      Resistance 2
                      War 0

Favoured Abilities

Athletics 5 (Rushes)
                      Brawl 4
                      Martial Arts: Steel Devil 5 (Reaper Daiklaves)
                      Dodge 5 (Armoured)
                      Lore 3
                      Occult 1

Other Abilities

Linguistics 1
                      Socialise 3 (Prasad High Society)

Merits (Native Language: Rivertongue)

Language (High Realm)
                      Artifact 4 (Paired Reaper Daiklaves)
                      Artifact 3 (Medium Armour – Reinforced Buff Jacket)
                      Cult 3
                      Fast Reflexes 3
                      Ambidextrous 1
                      Martial Artist 4
                      Resources 3

Free Excellencies

1. Athletics: Effortlessly Rising Flame
                      2. Awareness: Precision Awareness Method
                      3. Brawl/MA: Become the Hammer
                      4. Dodge: Threshold Warding Stance
                      5. Integrity: Granite Curtain of Serenity

Charms

1. Steel Devil: Naked Fang Draw
                      2. Steel Devil: Double Attack Technique
                      3. Steel Devil: Steel Devil Strike
                      4. Steel Devil: Steel Devil Form
                      5. Steel Devil: Dual-Slaying Stance
                      6. Resistance: Impervious Skin Of Stone
                      7. Resistance: Ox-Body Technique
                      8. Resistance: Ox-Body Technique
                      9. Awareness: Deep-Listening Palm
                      10. Awareness: All-Encompassing Earth Sense
                      11. Awareness: Pasiap Preempts Haste
                      12. Integrity: Oath Of Ten Thousand Dragons
                      13. Integrity: Ten Thousand Dragons Fight As One
                      14. Lore: Elemental Concentration Stance
                      15. Lore: Deadly Essence Flashpoint

Fight

Medium range
                      One-point stunts assumed

Devil: (13p/21ph), 5wp, 3cu
                      Volfer: (13p/33ph), 6wp

--

JOIN BATTLE:

Devil uses Naked Fang Draw (5m), Excellency (2m), Pasiap Preempts Haste (3m) expends 1 Cult and rolls 14 dice for: 9 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 8 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 6 - 9 - 10 - 10 - 1 – 5

14 successes + 2 successes (NFD) + 1 (Excellency) + 1 (Cult) + 3i = 21i

--

Volfer rolls 16 dice (using 6m Excellency) + willpower for: 6 - 6 - 6 - 7 - 9 - 2 - 4 - 1 - 1 - 10 - 4 - 9 - 2 - 9 - 6 – 6

7 successes + 3i = 10i

--

Devil shifts 6i into his offhand charge, gaining 1i bonus for winning Join Battle.

Devil: 15i (Charge 7i) (13p/11ph), 5wp, 2cu, 2a
                      Volfer: 10i (13p/27ph), 5wp

TURN 1:

Devil stunts anima (1m) and activates Dual-Slaying Stance (5m, 1 Cult). Anima at bonfire.

Devil enters Earth Aura

Devil: 15i (Charge 7) (13p/5ph), 5wp, 1cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 10i (13p/27ph), 5wp

--

Volfer closes to short and uses Thunderclap Rush (3m) to launch a withering attack using Excellent Strike (3m), Fire and Stones Strike (5m), Excellency (6m) and willpower for 18 dice + 2 successes. Devil defends with Excellency (2m) and Cult for parry 12.

Volfer rolls: 3 - 5 - 1 - 5 - 3 - 5 - 3 - 8 - 10 - 7 - 5 - 3 - 8 - 4 - 10 - 9 - 8 – 5; re-rolled 1 gives: 2

11 successes total. Attack misses.

Devil: 15i (Charge 7) (13p/3ph), 5wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 10i (13p/10ph), 5wp

--

Devil launches a decisive counterattack with a full Excellency and willpower (6m). Volfer defends with Excellency (4m), Durability of Oak (3m) and willpower for a parry of 9.

Devil rolls 19 dice for: 1 - 3 - 8 - 10 - 1 - 4 - 8 - 3 - 7 - 2 - 4 - 9 - 5 - 2 - 5 - 10 - 10 - 2 – 8

12 successes total. Attack hits.

Damage pool is charge – 2 from Durability of Oak, so 5 dice: 10 - 5 - 5 - 2 - 8

2 successes total. Volfer is at -1 wound penalty.

Devil: 15i (Charge 7) (10p/0ph), 4wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 10i (13p/3ph), 5wp

--

TURN 2
                      Mote regen
                      Devil commits 1m on Deadly Essence Flashpoint
                      Devil: 15i (Charge 7) (10p/4ph), 4wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 10i (13p/8ph), 3wp, -1

Devil uses Full Defence (-1i).

Devil: 14i (Charge 7) (10p/4ph), 4wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 10i (13p/8ph), 3wp, -1

--

Volfer makes a withering attack using Excellent Strike (3m), Fire and Stones Strike (5m), Excellency (6m) and willpower for 17 dice + 2 successes. Devil defends with willpower for parry 13.

4 - 7 - 6 - 4 - 6 - 7 - 9 - 8 - 5 - 1 - 9 - 10 - 10 - 7 - 1 - 6 – 6, re-rolls give: 3 - 9

13 successes total, attack hits. Raw damage is (Strength 5 + Damage 9) so 14. Devil’s soak is 16 at bonfire. Fire and Stones Strike adds 5 post-soak, so damage pool is 6 dice: 5 - 9 - 5 - 8 - 5 - 7

3 successes. Volfer is at 14i, Devil is at 11i.

Devil: 11i (Charge 7) (10p/4ph), 3wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 14i (7p/0ph), 2wp, -1

--

Volfer uses One Weapon, Two Blows (3m) to make a withering attack backed by willpower for 11 dice + 1 success. Devil defends with parry 11.

Volfer rolls: 1 - 9 - 4 - 9 - 5 - 9 - 4 - 9 - 10 - 9 – 9

9 successes total, attack misses.

Devil: 11i (Charge 7) (10p/4ph), 3wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 14i (4p/0ph), 1wp, -1

--

Devil launches a decisive counterattack with Excellency (3m) and Deadly Essence Flashpoint. Volfer defends with Durability of Oak (3m) for a parry of 5.

Devil rolls 16 dice for: 8 - 9 - 4 - 8 - 6 - 4 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 4 - 3 - 9 - 4 - 9 - 8 – 2

6 successes, attack hits.

Damage pool of 6 after Deadly Essence Flashpoint and Durability of Oak are taken into account. Devil also uses 2i to boost it to 8 dice: 5 - 7 - 8 - 6 - 1 - 5 - 6 - 3; re-roll gives: 7 - 1

So 3 damage, Volfer is in his last -1 health level.

Devil: 9i (Charge 7) (10p/1ph), 3wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 14i (1p/0ph), 1wp, -1

--

TURN 3
                      Mote regen
                      Devil: 9i (Charge 7) (10p/5ph), 3wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 14i (1p/5ph), 1wp, -1

Volfer opts to attempt a disarm gambit, using Excellent Strike (3m), Excellency (3m) and willpower for 14 dice + 2 successes. Devil defends with Excellency (2m) and willpower for power for parry 12.

Volfer rolls: 3 - 8 - 8 - 2 - 3 - 1 - 7 - 4 - 9 - 7 - 4 - 1 - 5 – 5; re-rolls give: 2 – 5

7 successes. Attack misses. Volfer drops to 11i.

NOTE: Volfer should actually drop to 7i. I screwed up.

Devil: 9i (Charge 7) (10p/3ph), 2wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 11i (0p/0ph), 0wp, -1

--

Devil launches a decisive counterattack with Excellency (3m) and Deadly Essence Flashpoint. Volfer defends with parry 5.

Devil rolls 16 dice for: 8 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 2 - 7 - 6 - 3 - 5 - 5 - 6 - 3 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 12 successes.

Attack misses. Devil drops to 7i.

Devil: 7i (Charge 7) (10p/0ph), 2wp, 0cu, 3a

--

Devil: 6i (Charge 7) (10p/0ph), 2wp, 0cu, 3a

--

TURN 4
                      Mote regen
                      Devil: 6i (Charge 7) (10p/4ph), 2wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 11i (0p/5ph), 0wp, -1

Volfer doesn’t rate his chances of hitting Devil’s ridiculous Full Defence-boosted parry so opts to aim.

--

Devil makes a withering attack, hoping to leapfrog Volfer in the order. He uses a full Excellency (6m) and willpower. Volfer uses Excellency (4m) for a parry of 7.

Devil rolls 20 dice for: 10 - 1 - 8 - 6 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 4 - 7 - 10 - 1 - 3 - 9 - 10 - 3 - 5 - 4 - 5 - 9 – 1

13 successes. Attack hits. Volfer uses his last mote to pop Spirit Strengthens the Skin (1m).

Damage pool is (Strength 2 + Damage 12 + Threshold 6) for 20, minus soak of 8 for 12 dice: 10 - 6 - 5 - 9 - 5 - 7 - 4 - 4 - 10 - 6 - 1 - 3; re-rolls give: 7 - 3

So 7 successes. Devil is at 14i, Volfer is 4i.

Devil: 14i (Charge 7) (8p/0ph), 1wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 4i (0p/0ph), 0wp, -1

--

TURN 5
                      Mote regen
                      Devil: 14i (Charge 7) (8p/4ph), 1wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 4i (0p/5ph), 0wp, -1

Devil: 13i (Charge 7) (8p/4ph), 1wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 4i (0p/5ph), 0wp, -1

--

Volfer attempts a disarm gambit again, using Excellent Strike (3m), Excellency (2m) for 16 dice + 1 successes after aim bonus. Devil defends with Excellency (2m) for parry 13.

NOTE: This shouldn't be allowed as it would crash Volfer. I screwed up.

Volfer rolls: 2 - 6 - 7 - 4 - 5 - 9 - 3 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 10 - 5 - 1 - 1 - 9 – 4; re-rolls give: 5 - 9

7 successes. Attack misses. Volfer drops to 2i.

Devil: 13i (Charge 7) (8p/2ph), 1wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 2i (0p/0ph), 0wp, -1

--

Devil launches a decisive counterattack with Excellency (3m). Volfer defends with parry 5.

Devil rolls 16 dice for: 3 - 7 - 7 - 9 - 6 - 10 - 2 - 4 - 5 - 9 - 4 - 7 - 2 - 5 - 3 – 10

9 successes, attack hits. Devil opts to pay 2i to boost damage pool to 11 after Deadly Essence Flashpoint for: 3 - 1 - 4 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 4 - 10 - 8 - 3 – 8

3 successes. Volfer is at -2.

Devil: 11i (Charge 7) (7p/0ph), 1wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 2i (0p/0ph), 0wp, -2

--

TURN 6
                      Mote regen
                      Devil: 11i (Charge 7) (7p/4ph), 1wp, 0cu, 3a
                      Volfer: 2i (0p/5ph), 0wp, -2

Devil launches a decisive attack, using Excellency (4m) and Deadly Essence Flashpoint. Volfer defends with Excellency (4m) for parry 6.

Devil rolls 17 dice for: 4 - 8 - 8 - 10 - 10 - 7 - 6 - 4 - 5 - 9 - 3 - 1 - 1 - 8 - 1 - 6 - 2

9 successes, attack hits. Damage pool is 12 after Deadly Essence Flashpoint for: 5 - 7 - 7 - 6 - 7 - 4 - 3 - 3 - 8 - 8 - 10 - 3; re-roll gives: 3

6 successes. Volfer is down.

EDIT: Arrgh, will I ever remember to lose the initiative for a gambit if it misses, not just the amount you lose for missing a decisive??!! Most pertinently, Volfer couldn't attempt the second disarm as it would have crashed him. Don't think it would have changed the outcome though, his withering attack is only 2 dice more accurate than his decisive attacks so would have still struggled to hit that disgusting 13 parry, and Devil would just have used counterattacks to finish the job if he'd lost initiative at that stage in any case (which was the smarter play anyway but the fight was so one-sided I wanted to get it over with). Apologies. I really need to avoid posting these fights until I've got all the rules straight in my head again.
                      Last edited by Moss Reynholm; 07-03-2020, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• For a totally different type of battle, I have a request. Can Octavian, the Quarter Prince defeat a Tyrant Lizard that is enhanced with with Solar Survival Capstone, Baara-Unleashing Technique?

No Solar involved, just those two in a white room.

Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
                        -Chausse

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
                          For a totally different type of battle, I have a request. Can Octavian, the Quarter Prince defeat a Tyrant Lizard that is enhanced with with Solar Survival Capstone, Baara-Unleashing Technique?

Depends, with or without Familiar Honing Instruction? With, Octavian is most likely paste, without... also still likely paste. The big hurdle is that the Tyrant Lizard is immune to decisive damage until it is crashed, and it can only be crashed by 10+ post soak damage which I don't see Octavian being capable of producing. I think Fakharu would be a more appropriate opponent.

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

• Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post

Depends, with or without Familiar Honing Instruction? With, Octavian is most likely paste, without... also still likely paste. The big hurdle is that the Tyrant Lizard is immune to decisive damage until it is crashed, and it can only be crashed by 10+ post soak damage which I don't see Octavian being capable of producing. I think Fakharu would be a more appropriate opponent.
                            Octavian doesn't need 10+ post-soak damage - the invulnerability to Decisives comes with a 1 ini loss per turn, guaranteeing a crash so long as Octavian gets the Lizard to 1 ini.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
                              Er, technically the Solar has to be involved because they activate that charm. Do you mean can the Solar just activate that charm and then stop? Also is it the bare minimum of Baara Unleashing, or does the T-lizard have every other pre-requisite charm as well? Also what's the Solar's essence here, Deadly Predator Method gives (Essence) automatic successes to all attacks, that's extremely important.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

Er, technically the Solar has to be involved because they activate that charm. Do you mean can the Solar just activate that charm and then stop? Also is it the bare minimum of Baara Unleashing, or does the T-lizard have every other pre-requisite charm as well? Also what's the Solar's essence here, Deadly Predator Method gives (Essence) automatic successes to all attacks, that's extremely important.
                                fair point, sorry. The Tyrant Lizard benefits from every prerequisite charm needed to buy Baara-Unleashing Technique. The Solar is Essence 3, Survival Supernal.

The Solar is there in the room but consider it like a pokemon battle- the Solar doesn't attack and no one attacks her, the combatants are the Tyrant Lizard and Octavian. The Solar won't use any charms midfight to aid the Tyrant Lizard, she just super charges her pet and watches them fight.

Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
                                -Chausse

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Working...
                                X