Exalted: Arena

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post

fair point, sorry. The Tyrant Lizard benefits from every prerequisite charm needed to buy Baara-Unleashing Technique. The Solar is Essence 3, Survival Supernal.

The Solar is there in the room but consider it like a pokemon battle- the Solar doesn't attack and no one attacks her, the combatants are the Tyrant Lizard and Octavian. The Solar won't use any charms midfight to aid the Tyrant Lizard, she just super charges her pet and watches them fight.
    I fully believe this is winnable for the Tyrant Lizard, but I think it would have to get a bit lucky. Octavian just as too great an ability to crash it, deactivate Deadly Predator, and then basically beat it with a combination of special stats and abilities.

Octavian is a bit hampered here though, as the lizard can neither be disarmed, nor grappled by him. I also made a perhaps controversial decision that throwing deafness on top of blindness increased the blind penalty from -3 to -4, but I think I'm justified in that. If you're fighting blind that's one thing, but fighting blind and without even the ability to listen for an opponent, that has to be an even greater penalty.

fight

Octavian spends 10m to boost join battle by 5 successes, and stunts, starting with 18i

Tyrant Lizard stunts and starts with 11i after rolling twice and picking the highest

Octavian 18i 100m 10wp
    T-Lizard 11i 7wp

Round 1
    ============
    Octavian starts off with a 7m 1wp Falling Tower Rain, and a 10m exellency, rolling 14+5 dice for 11, beating the lizard by 5. Then rolling 4 damage for 2, which due to 5 overflow successes and falling tower rain deals 10 damage, although he only gains 3 initiative.

Octavian 21i 83m 9wp
    T-Lizard 1i 7wp

-----------
    T-Lizard loses 1i and crashes, Deadly Predator Method deactivates.

The lizard makes a withering bite attack against Octavian, rolling 12 dice for only 5, and missing.

Octavian 21i 83m 9wp
    T-Lizard -5i 7wp

Round 2
    ============
    Octavian 21i 88m 9wp
    T-Lizard -5i 7wp

Octavian uses 10m 4i Crimson Spray Blur, and a 10m excellency to make a decisive attack, rolling 14+5 dice to easily hit with 13, and then rolling 17 damage for 7, doubling to 14

Octavian 3i 68m 9wp
    T-Lizard -5i 7wp 14L(-2s)

-----------
    T lizard goes for another withering bite, rolling 10 dice for 7, hitting. Then rolling 5 damage for only 2.

Octavian 1i 68m 9wp
    T-Lizard -3i 7wp 14L(-2s)

Round 3
    ============
    Octavian 1i 73m 9wp

Octavian will use 10m 1wp Principle of Motion to flurry two decisive bare handed attacks, spending 6m on each. Rolling 14+3 dice for 8 and hitting, then rolling 1L for no damage.

Rolling 14+3 again for 9, and rolling 3L for nothing again.

-----------
    Octavian 3i 51m 9wp
    T-Lizard 5i 7wp 14L(-2s)

The T-lizard goes for another withering bite rolling 10 dice for 6, just barely missing.

Round 3
    ============
    Octavian 3i 56m 9wp Onslaught(-1)
    T-Lizard 5i 7wp 14L(-2s)

Tlizard goes again for a withering smash attack with its tail, rolling 11 dice for 7 and hitting. Then rolling 4 damage for only 1.

Octavian 2i 56m 9wp Onslaught(-1)
    T-Lizard 5i 7wp 14L(-2s)

T lizard will spend a willpower for Brutal Stomp, easily hitting with 4 successes. Then rolling 5i for only one, and failing to lock in the grapple.

Octavian 2i 56m 9wp Onslaught(-3)
    T-Lizard 2i 7wp 14L(-2s)

-----------
    Octavian goes for a withering attack with his staff, using Principle of Motion to flurry two attacks, and using 6m on each again. Rolling 14+3 for an amazing 14, and rolling 12 damage for 5, putting the lizard back into crash.

Octavian 8i 44m 9wp

Octavian then rolls 14+3 dice for only 6 on the decisive, but still hitting. Rolling 8 dice for only 2 damage, the lizard rolls to defend against black oil poison.

Octavian 3i 44m 9wp
    T-Lizard -3i 7wp 16L(-2s)

Rolling 9 dice for 6, avoiding falling victim to it.

Round 4
    ============
    Octavian 3i 22m 9wp
    T-Lizard -3i 7wp 16L(-2s)

Octavian uses another Principle of Motion to flurry another 2 decisive attacks with 3 successes. Hitting with both and rolling 2 and 3 damage respectively.

Rolling twice against the poison the lizard gets 4 each time, suffering for two rounds. Also Octavian both Blinds and Deafens the lizard.

Octavian 3i 22m 9wp
    T-Lizard -3i 7wp 21L(-2s) Blind+Deaf(-4) Black Oil(-2) 2 rounds

-----------
    Tyrant lizard attempts a withering slam attack, rolling 5 dice for only 2, missing.

Octavian 3i 22m 9wp
    T-Lizard -3i 7wp 21L(-2s) Blind+Deaf(-4) Black Oil(-2) 2 rounds

Poison deals 1L damage

Round 5
    ============

Octavian 3i 27m 9wp
    T-Lizard -3i 7wp 22L(-2s) Blind+Deaf(-4) Black Oil(-2) 1 round

Octavian launches 2 decisive hand attacks, rolling 14 dice for 6 and 8, hitting both times. Rolling 3 damage twice for 1 each time, and prompting another two resistance rolls. Rolling 3 and 5, and adding another 2 rounds to the poison.

Octavian 3i 27m 9wp
    T-Lizard -3i 7wp 24L(-2s) Blind+Deaf(-4) Black Oil(-2) 3 rounds

I think I'm going to call it there, with all the stacked penalties, and the poison I think Octavian has it.

Comment

• Ok so I drafted it out, here are the relevant survival charms involved, assuming survival supernal and Essence 3:
      Beast-Mastering Behavior, Bestial Traits Technique, Ambush Predator Style, Hide-Hardening Practice x3, Life of the Aurochs x3, Saga Beast Virtue, Deadly Predator Method, Colossal Rampaging Beast, Baara Unleashing Technique.
      These are 13 charms, plus seven prerequisites that are unusable here for a total of 20 charms: a reasonable investment for a Solar to have in their Supernal ability by Essence 3.

With all of these active, the Tyrant Lizard's statblock looks like this:

Survival Enhanced Tyrant Lizard
      HP: -0x8/-1x8/-2x13/-4x9/I, WP: 7, JB 11 +3as, base 5
      Actions: FoS 15 +6as, effective strength 15
      Stealth 11, Intimidate 11 +3as, resist 13,
      Sense 7, track 10
      Resolve 4 Guile 1
      Combat
      Bite 14 +3as (21/5), piercing
      Slam 15 +3as (19/4), smashing
      Talon 16 +3as (17/3)
      Grapple 11 +3as (control 13, unopposed)
      Movement: 10 + 3as
      Evasion 5, Parry 7
      Soak 36, Hard 11

as are 'automatic successes'. Saga Beast Virtue and Colossal Rampaging Beast together grant '6 mutations', I took this to meant 6 dots of mutations, because the alternative would be rather ridiculous, so I just gave it +5 Unusual Hide so as to not over-complicate things. Beast Mastering Behavior allows you to improve ability scores but we have no idea what those are on QCs, so I just gave it a flat +1 on pools based on Resistance, Brawl, Stealth and Athletics.

Importantly, the Tyrant Lizard doesn't reset to base when making a decisive attack, is immune to decisive damage and bleeds 1i at the end of each round; when crashed, it loses 1 from all pools and damage values and loses this effect.
      IN ADDITION to all of the above, it has all of the Tyrant Lizard special abilities, including Legendary Size, plus several Latent and Magical Abilities it can learn, notably Crushing Embrace, Predator’s Menace, Tighten Clutches, Devouring Leviathan Maw, Invincible God-Beast Hide, Raging Devil-Beast Empowerment and Throat-Ripping Execution.

I can still run the fight if you want, but it looks like Octavian-kun is just gonna get instantly grappled and two-shotted by Deadly Thrash before he even gets the chance to regret his life decisions. Dude has zero ways to hurt this thing or avoid its attacks barring consistently great luck, and even then it's gonna take ages for him to even dent him what with 7 defense with no onslaught or wound penalty, the damage cap from Legendary Size and 38!!! health levels.

EDIT: I got ninja'd, that's what I get for not refreshing before posting. Still, I'm a bit suspect on the timing of DPM's initiative loss: it says 'each round', so having it happen at the start of its turn is THE most uncharitable reading of that effect since it allows no chance for recovery. I personally interpreted it like Anima Flux, at the end of the round before mote regen. You also seem to have forgotten the +1 to both defenses from SBV, and I can't be sure but I think you lowballed its soak a bit; even without mutations and only a single HHP it should still have a minimum of 24 soak. You also gave it no stat bonuses from training and no magical abilities, which... okay?
      Last edited by BadassOverlord; 07-03-2020, 08:10 PM.

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

• Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
        I personally interpreted it like Anima Flux, at the end of the round before mote regen.
        Anima Flux IS at the start of your turn.

Comment

• Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
          Bite 14 +3as (21/5), piercing
          Slam 15 +3as (19/4), smashing
          Talon 16 +3as (17/3)
          Grapple 11 +3as (control 13, unopposed)

I can still run the fight if you want, but it looks like Octavian-kun is just gonna get instantly grappled and two-shotted by Deadly Thrash before he even gets the chance to regret his life decisions. Dude has zero ways to hurt this thing or avoid its attacks barring consistently great luck, and even then it's gonna take ages for him to even dent him what with 7 defense with no onslaught or wound penalty, the damage cap from Legendary Size and 38!!! health levels.
          An ask the devs post http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...e-devs/page565 states he can use Infernal Might Unleashed to boost parry - that should be enough to most often keep from getting grappled (11 dice +3 successes vs. 12 defense gives ~9% chance of hitting).

Comment

• Originally posted by autXautY View Post

An ask the devs post http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...e-devs/page565 states he can use Infernal Might Unleashed to boost parry - that should be enough to most often keep from getting grappled (11 dice +3 successes vs. 12 defense gives ~9% chance of hitting).
            That's suck a weird rule. Mostly because it makes Invincible Iron Bastion really bad. You can pay eight motes for +4 parry, or 7m 4i for the same, if you can roll 4 on your initiative.

I guess they can be used in combination since he has no stated charm dice cap and he gets the reflexive disarm?

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

That's suck a weird rule. Mostly because it makes Invincible Iron Bastion really bad. You can pay eight motes for +4 parry, or 7m 4i for the same, if you can roll 4 on your initiative.

I guess they can be used in combination since he has no stated charm dice cap and he gets the reflexive disarm?
              My read of the developer comments on the topic is they don't stack, and you just use IIB for the disarm, and I guess for saving 1-3 motes if you activate for 4 or 5.

But yes, the charms as written do a really bad way of communicating how they work, and when interpreted as the devs describe open a lot of questions/

Comment

• excellent work, thank you DrLoveMonkey BadassOverlord .

This at least clarifies a design choice I made in another thread. the Tyrant Lizard and Octavian are going to be locked in battle for a long, long time trading punches.

Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
                -Chausse

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
                  excellent work, thank you DrLoveMonkey BadassOverlord .

This at least clarifies a design choice I made in another thread. the Tyrant Lizard and Octavian are going to be locked in battle for a long, long time trading punches.
                  I'm pretty sure that is accurate, I think the lizard could definitely win, but it will probably take a while.

Comment

You're in the one at the top, flying above your allies and enemies in melee at the bottom right. Enemy archers, if there are any, are in the bottom left. You're at medium range from them, so if they want to attack you they have to aim every other turn, and even then they're doing it at reduced accuracy, while the melee fighters mix it up underneath you. If there's anyone underneath that feels like they should shoot you to crash you and bring you back to earth, they need to drop whatever melee weapon they're holding, pick up their bow, and shoot you. So they're losing their Parry, which if they're dedicated frontline fighters is almost always better than their Evasion, often by a huge margin, and either giving up a turn to the Draw/Ready action, or flurrying it.

You could do the same kind of thing from this position O O O, obviously, but that leaves you open to being disengaged into, which is a death sentence for archers. Thankfully though, Soaring Zephyr Flight can get you out of that situation. If you're doing the O O O style formation and get disengaged into, use SZF to escape way high up and then start the rain. You also don't always get to start there, sometimes you're stuck in the middle and need to disengage yourself pronto. If there's somewhere else with higher elevation above you, like trees or buildings, you can even use SZF and pay no initiative cost, just use it as an automatic disengage, use your reflexive move to get to that higher ground, and don't pay the initiative cost.

Going through this has actually made me rethink SZF, I used to think its use in combat was marginal, or extremely situational, but abusing the movement and range mechanics can really make it useful. I imagine that in an actual melee where there's a bunch else going on and you're just up there pelting down shots it would be even more useful. You just have to make sure you're done with flying if you want to decisive attack. It helps that there's few things in the books with more than 4 defense, and 10 soak, and clearly 4 defense and 10 soak is not enough to stop the initiative trickle.
                    You're welcome to add your observations to that Soaring Zephyr Flight thread, if you want.

With Sunder the Gold doing a thread on this and Raging Fire-Dragon Spirit, I might also run a combat with a fire aspect that has that charm to see if it's as bad as we thought it was in practice too, if anyone has any suggestions about what they should fight. Something less powerful than a Solar with max in every stat, because that'll be over in one round like it always is, but more than a badass mortal. I'm also not sure what people's opinion of me kind of cheesing the Stamina effect of that charm. Technically if you ever plan on getting to Essence 5 you should have Stamina 5 to use that charm properly when you're there, buuuut if you're using it at Essence 3 just Stamina 3 is fine, and you've got hundreds of XP between Essence 3 and 5 to raise it with Dragon xp or regular xp, so I don't know if it's that awful to just say stamina 3.
                    Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                    Anyway, next I'll probably do something with Raging Fire Dragon Spirit. Each of those combats there took 5-8 rounds, which I have to say isn't my experience with the game, but maybe in smaller fights like this Raging Fire Dragon Spirit comes out and starts shining.
                    Did you ever get around to that? I didn't find anything in the later pages of this thread.

Though I do remember part of this thread was split off on its own. Would I find it there?

formerly Tornado Wolf, formerly Inugami

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                      You're welcome to add your observations to that Soaring Zephyr Flight thread, if you want.
                      I'll try to be more concise, or just link to my posts, lol.

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                      Did you ever get around to that? I didn't find anything in the later pages of this thread.

Though I do remember part of this thread was split off on its own. Would I find it there?
                      I think there were just the two

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...94#post1342294

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...10#post1342610

Comment

• Ah, I see. I used the Find function to search for "Raging", and anything hidden behind spoilers won't be found.

What did you determine about Raging Fire-Dragon Spirit's intended or best-use cases?

Did you learn anything more than "be proactive when using it against a pack of claw striders?"
                        Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 08-03-2020, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                          Ah, I see. I used the Find function to search for "Raging", and anything hidden behind spoilers won't be found.

What did you determine about Raging Fire-Dragon Spirit's intended or best-use cases?

Did you learn anything more than "be proactive when using it against a pack of claw striders?"
                          Well I think it takes a bit much setup for what it does. It should maybe be reflexive, or not-Aura, for balance reasons. For fluff and style reasons I don't suggest making it not-Aura, so just reflexive. Once it gets up though, the effect to me seems worth the cost, as long as this isn't a trivial fight. If it's a fight that's like, over in 2-3 rounds probably not worth the health level and willpower cost.

Keep in mind though that I'm admittedly biased against any effect that gives persistent defense or accuracy. My 2e experience with Solars was that they were basically like Apocalypse. Except perhaps even more than big daddy A there does, because he let them get away with acting against him in his presence. So I can't even trust myself to have a proper opinion of anything that even smells like Infinite Ability Mastery or the like. Even Shimmering-Heat-Mirage Tactic is like, eh, I dunno, with that effect in Fire Aura it seems like it could last a pretty long time to me...

Comment

• What if it didn’t penalize your soak and gave you a smaller, flat dice bonus to its desired actions?

And if it was reflexive, do you think it should allow activation outside of your turn? Given clashes and counterattacks exist to exploit that.

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Time for another turkey shoot.

Austrech are described as some of the biggest predators in the south. They're nine feet tall and their claws are biological razors, backed by legs powerful enough to knock prey back an entire range band. They also apparently hunt in groups of only 1-2, but that's dumb as hell so let's pit 4 against a pair of exalts. A Solar and a DB, on the same team, dogs and cats, living together, MASS HYSTERIA!

I'm sadly AFK so doing this on a tablet sucks, there might be more inconsistencies or mistakes than normal.

Contenders

Dragonblooded - Dinah

2 str
                              2 dex
                              3 sta
                              3 wits

2 awareness
                              3 brawl unarmored
                              3 dodge unarmored

Become the hammer
                              Oaken thews exertion
                              Threshold warding
                              Flickering candle

Fists 10+4(damage 9)
                              Parry 3+2
                              Dodge 3+2
                              Soak 3

13/31

Solar - Jan

2 str
                              3 dex
                              2 sta
                              3 wits

2 awareness
                              2 thrown Knives
                              3 dodge

Precision of striking raptor
                              Steel storm descending
                              Reed in the wind
                              Drifting leaf elision

Knives 10+5(damage 9)
                              Dodge 3+3
                              Soak 5

13/33

Fight

Solar 8-33 wp5 10i
                              Dragon 13-31 wp5 9i
                              Aus1 wp4 5i
                              Aus2 wp4 4i
                              Aus3 wp4 5i
                              Aus4 wp4 5i

Round 1
                              ===========
                              Jan takes aim at the second austrech and unleashes a deadly storm, using 2m for a decisive Steel Storm Descending. Aus2 will defend by putting everything it has into ducking under the Knives, spending a willpower.

Rolling 14 dice against Evasion 5 she makes it with 5, then rolling 10 damage for 7, slaying it outright.

Solar 8-31 wp5 3i
                              Dragon 13-31 wp5 9i
                              Aus1 wp4 5i
                              Aus3 wp4 5i
                              Aus4 wp4 5i

------
                              Dinah pulls back a fist and makes to wither aus1 in the face, spending 4m on become the hammer and 4 on oaken thews. The austrech plants a foot and tries to leap over her, spending a willpower. Rolling 16 dice for 8 successes and then rolling 12 damage for 6, crashing aus1.

Solar 8-31 wp5 3i
                              Dragon 5-31 wp5 20i
                              Aus1 wp3 -1i
                              Aus3 wp4 5i
                              Aus4 wp4 5i

-------------
                              Time for revenge, aus3 charges in witha decisive beak attack against the Solar with a willpower, who will defend with 6m excellency. Rolling 10 dice for 5 and missing.

Solar 2-31 wp5 3i
                              Dragon 5-31 wp5 20i
                              Aus1 wp3 -1i
                              Aus3 wp3 2i
                              Aus4 wp4 5i

--------------
                              Aus4 does the same, coming snapping in right after his fellow, Jan defends the same way, except also spending 2i for Reed in the Wind. 10 dice gives only 4 successes, missing.

Solar 0-27 wp5 1i
                              Dragon 5-31 wp5 20i
                              Aus1 wp3 -1i
                              Aus3 wp3 2i
                              Aus4 wp3 2i

---------------
                              Aus 1 goes after the dragon, taking her with razor talons. She rolls out of the way and spends 4m to boost defence. Rolling 10 dice for 6 and actually hitting, rolling 7 damage for 6i.

Solar 0-27 wp5 1i
                              Dragon 5-27 wp5 14i
                              Aus1 wp3 6i
                              Aus3 wp3 2i
                              Aus4 wp3 2i

Round 2
                              ===========
                              Solar 0-32 wp5 1i
                              Dragon 6-31 wp5 14i
                              Aus1 wp3 6i
                              Aus3 wp3 2i
                              Aus4 wp3 2i

The dragon goes in for the kill with a decisive hit on aus1. Spending 4m to hammer, the austrech will spend a willpower to defend. Rolling 12 dice for only 3 the dragon misses! I also realize a mistake with the two austreches initiatives and correct my mistake.

Solar 0-32 wp5 1i
                              Dragon 6-27 wp5 11i
                              Aus1 wp3 6i
                              Aus3 wp3 3i
                              Aus4 wp3 3i

--------------
                              Aus1 goes to decisive Dinah, raking at her and spending a willpower, Dinah will spend 4m to raise defence. Rolling 10 dice and getting 4, also missing!

Solar 0-32 wp5 1i
                              Dragon 6-23 wp5 11i
                              Aus1 wp2 4i
                              Aus3 wp3 3i
                              Aus4 wp3 3i

---------------
                              Aus3 goes to withering talon Jan who defends with 6m, rolling 10 dice getting 5 and missing.

Solar 0-20 wp5 1i
                              Dragon 6-23 wp5 11i
                              Aus1 wp2 4i
                              Aus3 wp3 3i
                              Aus4 wp3 3i

--------------
                              Aus4 goes for a wither Jan and spends a willpower doing so. Jan opts to save motes and only stunt a defence. Rolling 10 dice the bird gets 8 in total. Rolling 11 damage for 5, crashing her.

Solar 0-20 wp5 -4i
                              Dragon 6-23 wp5 11i
                              Aus1 wp2 4i
                              Aus3 wp3 3i
                              Aus4 wp2 14i

--------------
                              Jan withers back, spending 6m to attack and 1m on Striking Raptor, rolling 17 dice for only 4, still hitting, and rolling 7 damage for 6.

Solar 0-13 wp5 3i
                              Dragon 6-23 wp5 11i
                              Aus1 wp2 4i
                              Aus3 wp3 3i
                              Aus4 wp2 8i

Round 3
                              ===========
                              Solar 0-18 wp5 3i
                              Dragon 6-28 wp5 11i
                              Aus1 wp2 4i
                              Aus3 wp3 3i
                              Aus4 wp2 8i

Dinah goes towither aus4, spending 4 motes to boost attack and 4 on oaken thews, rolling 16 dice for 4, just hitting, and rolling 9 damage for 3.

Solar 0-18 wp5 3i
                              Dragon 0-26 wp5 15i
                              Aus1 wp2 4i
                              Aus3 wp3 3i
                              Aus4 wp2 5i

-------------
                              Aus4 rolls a decisive attack against Dinah wi a willpower, who will defend with 4m, rolling 10 dice for 5 and missing.

Solar 0-18 wp5 3i
                              Dragon 0-22 wp5 15i
                              Aus1 wp2 4i
                              Aus3 wp3 3i
                              Aus4 wp1 3i

---------------
                              Aus1 goes for a decisive against the dragon, spending a willpower, the dragon defends with 4m and 1m1i for flickering candle. Rolling 10 dice for 5, hitting, then rolling 4 lethal for 1.

Solar 0-18 wp5 3i
                              Dragon 0-18 wp5 14i 1L(-0)
                              Aus1 wp1 3i
                              Aus3 wp3 3i
                              Aus4 wp1 3i

--------------
                              Aus3 goes for another decisive against the dragon, spending a willpower, the dragon will defend in the same way. Rolling 10 dice for 4 and with a 1 showing misses.

Solar 0-18 wp5 3i
                              Dragon 0-14 wp5 13i 1L(-0)
                              Aus1 wp1 3i
                              Aus3 wp2 1i
                              Aus4 wp1 3i

------------
                              Jan now goes for a big wither on aus3, spending 1m for striking raptor and 5 for excellency, they'll defend with a willpower rolling 17 dice for 6, hitting. Then rolling 9 damage for 3, crashing the bird with a flurry of Knives.

Solar 0-12 wp5 12i
                              Dragon 0-14 wp5 13i 1L(-0)
                              Aus1 wp1 3i
                              Aus3 wp2 -2i
                              Aus4 wp1 3i

Round 4
                              ==============
                              Solar 0-17 wp5 12i
                              Dragon 0-19 wp5 13i 1L(-0)
                              Aus1 wp1 3i
                              Aus3 wp2 -2i
                              Aus4 wp1 3i

Dinah goes for a decisive kill, tearing the first bird up with a 4m boosted attack, bird defending with willpower,rolling 12 dice and getting 8, then 13 damage for 5B.

Solar 0-17 wp5 12i
                              Dragon 0-15 wp5 3i 1L(-0)
                              Aus1 wp1 3i 5B(-2)
                              Aus3 wp2 -2i
                              Aus4 wp1 3i

------------
                              Jan now does the same to bird 3, pincushioning it with Knives. Rolling 12 dice for 7, then 12 damage for 5L. The birds now thoroughly wounded run off.

Solar 0-113 wp5 3i
                              Dragon 0-15 wp5 3i 1L(-0)

Awesome! I pretty well perfectly gauged that. A health level was lost, a big chunck of motes spent, but victory was secured. Only took 3.2 rounds too, pretty quick even with my fat fingers on the tablet. I also played this one like I'd play it in a real game. The austrech weren't attacking to win, they were attacking to tear off as many chunks as possible, and the exalts had to spend motes to stop themselves coming out of that with much damage. I like that as a choice to make, do you eat wounds or spend motes?

With four players and 7 birds Ithink it would still do pretty well and not take too long, although that relies on the players not all having a resting parry of 6+.

Comment

In 3e the fluff still says Wyld Hunts are dangerous, and then the crunch turns around and says that yes, actually, they are. If you made Demetheus and Kidale in third edition and ran the fight from the promotional comic you absolutely could get the result shown there without shenanigans.
                                Could it though?

With this fight I'm actually not trying to have everyone win, I'm kind of trying to set up the battle as it happened in the comic, but I'm just trying not to make any blindingly stupid moves in the process.

Kidale

2 Str
                                3 Dex
                                2 Sta

4 Wits
                                Awareness 4
                                Melee 2 (Specialy Swords)

Daiklave 9+5 (Damage 14/5)-decisive 6+5
                                Parry 3+2
                                Soak 2

motes 13-28

Charms

Dipping Swallow Defense
                                Excellent Strike
                                Fire and Stones Strike
                                One Weapon-Two Blows
                                Peony Blossom Attack

Demetheus

5 Str
                                3 Dex
                                4 Sta

3 Wits
                                2 Awareness
                                Brawl 4 (My Mitts)

Hands 12+7 (Damage 12/0)-decisive 8+7
                                Parry 4+3
                                Soak 5

motes 13-33

Charms
                                Durability of Oak
                                Spirit Strengthen's the Skin
                                Ox-Body x2

Fists of Iron Technique
                                Iron Battle Focus
                                Ferocious Jab
                                Heaven Thunder Hammer
                                Falling Hammer Strike
                                One With Violence
                                Burning Fist Burial
                                Adamantine Fists of Battle 2x

Taguro

4 str
                                4 dex
                                3 sta

4 wits
                                3 awareness
                                4 Air Dragon (While in Air Dragon form)
                                5 Dodge (While in Air Dragon Form)

Barehands 12/13+4/5 (Damage 11)-decisive 8/9
                                Soak 8 (Siklen Armor)
                                Dodge 4/5+2/3

Charms
                                Flickering Candle Meditation
                                Safety Among Enemies
                                Nimble Zephyr Defense
                                Air Dragon Sight
                                Cloud Treading Method
                                Wind Dragon Speed
                                Breath Seizing Technique
                                Air Dragon Form

Fight

Kidale spends 8m to roll 16 dice, getting 9 successes and 12i
                                Demetheus spends 5m and rolls 10 dice, getting...a pathetic 1 success and 4i
                                Taguro spends 2m for an autosuccess rolls 7 dice for 3 successes, getting 6i
                                Monks roll 6 dice for 1 success, getting 4i

Kidale 12i 13-20 5wp 1a
                                Demeth 4i 13-28 5wp 1a
                                Taguro 6i 14-29 5wp
                                monks 4i Size2

Round 1
                                ============
                                Kidale goes in to kill some monks, spending 3m for Excellent Strike, 3m excellency, 5m for Fire and Stones Strike. Rolling 12+1 dice for 6 successes, making it by 1, then rolling 17 damage for an amazing 14 damage, bringing the monks down a level, slaughtering dozens.

Kidale 18i 13-9 5wp 3a
                                Demeth 4i 13-28 5wp 1a
                                Taguro 6i 14-29 5wp
                                monks 4i Size1 5L

--------
                                Taguro makes a withering strike against Kidale, spending 4m on an excellency. Rolling 16 dice, kidale uses 4m to boost defense. Getting 9 successes Taguro gets Kidale by 4, then rolling 13 damage rerolling 6s for 8 successes, swapping initiatives with Kidale, and spending 8m to reflexively activate Air Dragon Form.

Kidale 10i 13-9 5wp 3a
                                Demeth 4i 13-28 5wp 1a
                                Taguro 15i 14-17 5wp 1a
                                monks 4i

--------
                                Demetheus goes to finish off the monks, using 3m excellency and 1m ferocious jab, rolling 15 dice for 10 successes, then 16 damage for 6, easily destroying the battlegroup.

Kidale 10i 13-9 5wp 3a
                                Demeth 10i 13-24 5wp 1a
                                Taguro 15i 14-17 5wp 1a

Round 2
                                =========
                                Kidale 10i 13-14 5wp 3a
                                Demeth 10i 13-29 5wp 1a
                                Taguro 15i 14-22 5wp 1a

Taguro goes again for a withering attack against Kidale, who will spend 2m on Dipping Swallow, 4m on an excellency. Taguro spends 5m on the excellency, rolling 18 dice for an impressive 13 successes, hitting Kidale by 8. Rolling 17 damage, rerolling 6s, for only 6 successes.

Kidale 4i 13-8 5wp 3a
                                Demeth 10i 13-29 5wp 1a
                                Taguro 24i 14-17 5wp 2a

--------
                                Demetheus goes to take out Taguro before he deals fatal damage, rolling a decisive attack with 7m excellency, 7m Heaven Thunder Hammer, 4m Adamantine Fists of Battle, 1m Falling Hammer Strike. Taguro will defend with 4m excellency, 1m Nimble Zephyr Defense. Rolling 15 dice for 8 successes, normally hitting but with two 1s Nimble Zephyr Defense stops it.

Taguro uses 5m 1wp for Safety Among Enemies, redirecting this attack at Kidale. Kidale defends with 2m dipping swallow, 4m excellency. Rolling 15 dice for 8 successes once again, this time hitting kidale. Rolling 10 damage with double 10s, getting 4 successes, hurling Kidale into a nearby cart, dealing 3 levels of bashing damage and rolling another 3 for the fall damage, killing Kidale.

Hey! That worked out almost perfectly on the first try, no need to re-run it!

Comment

Working...
                                X