No announcement yet.

Exalted: Arena

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes No-Moons better? The -2 penalty to attack rolls?

Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
    -Chausse

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
      What makes No-Moons better? The -2 penalty to attack rolls?
      Yes. There are very, very few ways to bypass a penalty to attack rolls, so it's always a big deal... but it's an especially big deal in a case like this, since clashes are just about the only way for a DB to defend against all-out Celestial attacks.

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

• I've got a few other Lunar builds to tinker with, so I'll try to drop that here when there's time, but I would be remiss if I didn't start with the silliest:

Yoruichi of Caerbannog
        No-Moon Caste

Essence: 1; Willpower: 6; Join Battle: 7 dice (+9)
        Personal Motes: 16; Peripheral Motes: 38 motes

Strength: 3
        Dexterity: 5
        Stamina: 2
        Wits: 4

Athletics 3
        Awareness 3
        Brawl 3 (cat form)
        Dodge 5 (unarmored)
        Integrity 3
        Resistance 3

Intimacies:
        Defining Principle: “It’s not enough to beat your enemies, you must also make them look ridiculous”
        Minor Tie: Internet Memes (fond amusement)

Latent Abilities:
        Stalking Shadow Hunter, Underfoot Menace

Combat
        Withering Attack (unarmed): 12 (+10) dice (9 damage, minimum 1)
        Decisive Brawl Attack: 8/9 (+10) dice
        Evasion 6 (+5), Parry 4/5 (+5)
        Soak 6, Hardness 0 (light mortal armor)
        HLs: -0x1/-1x2/-2x4/-4x1/incap

Charms
        Finding the Needle’s Eye: 3m, Supplemental, reroll three (four if using tail) 1s on an attack, enemy’s defense takes a -1 penalty. Can attack through full cover, though enemy gets +3 defense.
        Agile Beast Defense: 1m, Reflexive, gain 1i if defense is successful, gain +1 defense if enemy has lower Initiative and/or rolls any 1s. In cat form, this may be used after the attack roll.
        Bending Before the Storm: 2m, Reflexive, halve all penalties to defense. If attacker has lower Initiative, ignore them instead.
        Golden Tiger Stance: 3m 2i, Reflexive, until next turn, gain +1 defense and attacks which miss cause no onslaught penalty. Successful defense with Bending Before the Storm makes attacker lose 1i.

Ox-Body Technique: you know this one.

Ferocious Biting Tooth: 2m, Supplemental, +1 Overwhelming or add 1 threshold success to Decisive damage.
        Divine Predator Strike: 2m, Supplemental, add 1 Decisive damage, or (attack 10s + 1) to post-soak Withering damage.

The idea here is a partial combatant: 7 combat charms, physical stats secondary, and only Dodge (not Brawl) above 3. It's dubious as a starting character, because 3 Bonus Points for a latent ability is terrible, but those can be bought with just Lunar XP whilst putting charms into something else. If that still seems pretty combat-focused, spoilers: the non-Dex charms don't really end up mattering in this fight, so the build would perform about the same with just 4 combat charms.

She's going to fight three (not a battle group) First Circle demons. It’ll be kind of a one-sided fight, but once I’ve made my point, I can try to find a more worthy opponent. Here we go!

Yoruichi is beset by three Erymanthoi (they prefer to eat the blood of humans AND CATS, after all): Kalshazzak, Sanguine Kong, and Mighty Joe Blood.

JOIN BATTLE
        Yoruichi spends 9m and rolls (7+9=16) dice for 9 successes.
        The Blood-Apes each roll 6 dice, getting 3, 4, and 2 successes, respectively.

ROUND 1
        Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 12i, 6wp, 7/33m
        Kalshazzak: 6i, 5wp, 70m
        Sanguine Kong: 7i, 5wp, 70m
        Mighty Joe Blood: 5i, 5wp, 70m

Yoruichi is already in cat form (5m), and makes a Withering Bite attack against Mighty Joe Blood, no charms. (As a starting character, I’d assume she doesn’t really know what the demons’ defenses are like, and wants to feel them out a little.) She rolls (9+1+3=13) dice for 8 successes, hitting with (12+4-7=9) Withering dice, 5 damage. MJB is crashed. She then spends 3m 2i to enter Golden Tiger Stance.

Each Erymanthus in turn will spend 10m 1wp to use Principle of Motion, making two attacks. Yoruichi’s Evasion is (6+2+1=9). Sanguine Kong makes a Decisive attack (11 dice, 5 successes) and misses, losing 3i, then a Withering attack (11 dice, 7 successes), missing again. Kalshazzak makes a Withering attack (11 dice, 9 successes) - that looks like a hit! So, Yoruichi spends 1m on Agile Beast Defense, giving her +1 evasion and gaining 1i for the successful defense. Kalshazzak makes a second Withering attack (11 dice, 6 successes). Sanguine Kong makes a Withering attack (11 dice, 4 successes), then a second one (11 dice, 7 successes).

ROUND 2
        Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 24i, 6wp, 12/29m
        Kalshazzak: 6i, 4wp, 60m
        Sanguine Kong: 4i, 4wp, 60m
        Mighty Joe Blood: 0i, 4wp, 60m

Yoruichi tries to playfully bat Joe’s head off with a Decisive attack, no charms. He spends 1wp to boost his parry to 5, and she rolls (9+3=12) dice for 4 successes, hitting with 24 Decisive dice, 10 successes. Joe’s head goes flying in a mighty gout of blood. She resets to 3i, then spends 3m 2i to enter Golden Tiger Stance.

Kalshazzak spends 4m 1wp to buy a success and use Brutal Ape Pounce. He rolls 11 dice for 4 successes, missing, and Yoruichi spends 1m on Agile Beast Defense, gaining 1i. That didn’t work, so Sanguine Kong sticks with 10m 1wp Principle of Motion. Yoruichi spends 4m to use Bending Before the Storm each time, and Kong rolls a Withering attack (11 dice, 2 successes), missing and losing 1i, then another (11 dice, 5 successes), missing and losing 1i. Yoruichi spends 1m for Agile Beast Defense and gains 1i after each attack.

ROUND 3
        Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 4i, 6wp, 12/24m
        Kalshazzak: 6i, 3wp, 56m
        Sanguine Kong: 2i, 3wp, 50m
        Mighty Joe Blood: INCAPACITATED

Kalshazzak sticks with Plan PoM for 10m 1wp, and makes a Withering attack (11 dice, 4 successes), missing, and another Withering attack (11 dice, 6 successes), missing. Yoruichi is still feeling the 1m for 1i exchange rate, and uses Agile Beast Defense each time.

Yoruichi makes a no-charm Withering Bite attack against Sanguine Kong, and rolls (9+1+3=13) dice, 7 successes, hitting for (12+3-7=7) Withering dice, 3 damage, and Kong is crashed.

Sanguine Kong spends 10m 1 wp to do the same thing he has every round (Blood-Apes are not known for their originality), and makes a Withering attack against Yoruichi’s evasion of 8 (11 dice, 5 successes), and she spends 1m on Agile Beast Defense as it misses. Then he makes a second Withering attack against evasion (8-1=7), rolling 11 dice for 8 successes - a hit she cannot negate for (15-3=12) Withering dice, 6 damage.

ROUND 4
        Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 10i, 6wp, 16/22m
        Kalshazzak: 6i, 2wp, 46m
        Sanguine Kong: 7i, 2wp, 40m

Yoruichi changes targets and makes a Withering Bite attack against Kalshazzak, spending 2m on Divine Predator Strike. She rolls (9+1+3=13) dice for 5 successes, including a 10, for (12+1+2-7=8) Withering dice, 3 damage. She spends 3m 2i on Golden Tiger Stance.

Sanguine Kong spends 10m 1wp on Principle of Motion, and makes a Withering attack (11 dice, 6 successes), missing, then another (11 dice, 6 successes), missing. Kalshazzak does the same, with Yoruichi spending 4m on Bending Before The Storm before each one (11 dice, 6 successes), which misses and causes Kalshazzak to lose 1i before continuing to his last attack (11 dice, 4 successes), missing and losing another 1i. Yoruichi spends 4m on Agile Beast Defense over the course of those attacks, gaining 4i.

ROUND 5
        Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 16i, 6wp, 16/14m
        Kalshazzak: 1i, 1wp, 36m
        Sanguine Kong: 7i, 1wp, 30m

Yoruichi resumes attacking Sanguine Kong - Withering Bite, no charms - rolling (9+1+3=13) dice for 5 successes, hitting for (12+1-7=6) Withering dice, 3 damage. She spends 3m 2i on Golden Tiger Stance.

Sanguine Kong spends 10m and his last 1wp for Principle of Motion - I feel like an Erymanthus really should finish up with a Shattering Roar to express their feelings on the subject of their whole posse getting wrecked by a housepet, but let’s not make things any easier for our heroine than we did by picking this goofy “fight”. He makes two Withering attacks: the first (11 dice, 5 successes) misses outright, the second (11 dice, 9 successes) is foiled by Agile Beast Defense, which Yoruichi continues to use each time, spending 2m and gaining 2i.

Kalshazzak spends 10m 1wp for PoM as well. Yoruichi spends 2m on Bending before the storm for the first one, a Withering attack (11 dice, 7 successes), causing Kalshazzak to lose 1i and crash, but she doesn’t for the second (11 dice, 7 successes). She Agile Beasts for 2m, gaining 2i.

ROUND 6
        Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 27i, 6wp, 16/10m
        Kalshazzak: 0i, 0wp, 26m
        Sanguine Kong: 4i, 0wp, 20m

Yoruichi adorably leaps into Kalshazzak’s arms - a Decisive attack, no charms. She rolls (9+3=12) dice for 9 successes, 27 Decisive dice, and with 10 successes, she tears clean out through his back. She licks demon-gore off her paws, and resets to 3i.

Sanguine Kong makes a Withering attack, spending 4m to use Brutal Ape Pounce, and rolling 11 dice for 4 successes, missing. Yoruichi spends 1m on Agile Beast Defense, and gains 1i.

ROUND 7
        Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 4i, 6wp, 16/14m
        Kalshazzak: INCAPACITATED
        Sanguine Kong: 4i, 0wp, 16m

Sanguine Kong spends 4m to make another Brutal Ape Pounce, and Yoruichi makes a no-charm Withering Bite, spending 3m for Finding the Needle’s Eye. Kong rolls 11 dice for 7 successes, whilst Yoruichi rolls (9+1+3=13) dice, re-rolling a 1 for 9 successes, and winning the clash to deal (12+2-7=7) Withering dice, 2 damage, plus 3 more for winning a clash. Kong is crashed.

ROUND 8
        Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 15i, 6wp, 16/16m
        Sanguine Kong: -1i, 0wp, 12m

Yoruichi twists between Sanguine Kong’s legs, rolling a no-charm Decisive attack. She rolls (9+3=12) dice for 7 successes, hitting for 15 Decisive dice, 7 damage. Kong’s leg is shattered, and he takes a -2 wound penalty.

Yoruichi resets to 3i, but at this point, she’s just batting her food around. Sanguine Kong has a 3% of hitting past Agile Beast Defense, even assuming she uses no other defensive tricks.

To recap: the cat won, and it wasn't really a fight. She was never crashed, and never took Decisive damage. She never used an Excellency save on Join Battle (and that was mostly just to speed up the fight), she probably would have gotten close to full motes as she finished off Sanguine Kong (heck, if the GM called the fight at the start of next round, she's only out 11 motes, which is pretty close to the 9 she spent on that one Excellency). She didn't need her No-Moon Anima power. She didn't even reach Glowing.

Underfoot Menace, an ability which appears to have been written as a joke, means +3 attack and +2 Evasion, all the time, non-charm. Cats aren't just the new Infinite Ability Mastery, they're a cap-breaking Infinite Ability Mastery - if this looked goofy, think about it with stronger attacks (Mutations combined with Claws of the Silver Moon gives it full Artifact weapon stats), Moonsilver armor, Brawl 5, or even just Excellencies.

Cat Lunars are terrifying.

EDIT: before trying this fight, I searched for "cat" and came up empty, so I thought this was all news. It was only just after posting that I thought to try "Underfoot Menace," at which point I learned I'm less original than I might have hoped. I'm still leaving this proof of concept here - I guess now my next step is to rework Yoruichi into a slightly fightier form and see if it can triumph where that other murderkitty failed.
        Last edited by Chejop Kejak; 11-17-2020, 08:13 PM.

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

• Originally posted by Chejop Kejak View Post
          I've got a few other Lunar builds to tinker with, so I'll try to drop that here when there's time, but I would be remiss if I didn't start with the silliest:

Yoruichi of Caerbannog
          No-Moon Caste

Essence: 1; Willpower: 6; Join Battle: 7 dice (+9)
          Personal Motes: 16; Peripheral Motes: 38 motes

Strength: 3
          Dexterity: 5
          Stamina: 2
          Wits: 4

Athletics 3
          Awareness 3
          Brawl 3 (cat form)
          Dodge 5 (unarmored)
          Integrity 3
          Resistance 3

Intimacies:
          Defining Principle: “It’s not enough to beat your enemies, you must also make them look ridiculous”
          Minor Tie: Internet Memes (fond amusement)

Latent Abilities:
          Stalking Shadow Hunter, Underfoot Menace

Combat
          Withering Attack (unarmed): 12 (+10) dice (9 damage, minimum 1)
          Decisive Brawl Attack: 8/9 (+10) dice
          Evasion 6 (+5), Parry 4/5 (+5)
          Soak 6, Hardness 0 (light mortal armor)
          HLs: -0x1/-1x2/-2x4/-4x1/incap

Charms
          Finding the Needle’s Eye: 3m, Supplemental, reroll three (four if using tail) 1s on an attack, enemy’s defense takes a -1 penalty. Can attack through full cover, though enemy gets +3 defense.
          Agile Beast Defense: 1m, Reflexive, gain 1i if defense is successful, gain +1 defense if enemy has lower Initiative and/or rolls any 1s. In cat form, this may be used after the attack roll.
          Bending Before the Storm: 2m, Reflexive, halve all penalties to defense. If attacker has lower Initiative, ignore them instead.
          Golden Tiger Stance: 3m 2i, Reflexive, until next turn, gain +1 defense and attacks which miss cause no onslaught penalty. Successful defense with Bending Before the Storm makes attacker lose 1i.

Ox-Body Technique: you know this one.

Ferocious Biting Tooth: 2m, Supplemental, +1 Overwhelming or add 1 threshold success to Decisive damage.
          Divine Predator Strike: 2m, Supplemental, add 1 Decisive damage, or (attack 10s + 1) to post-soak Withering damage.

The idea here is a partial combatant: 7 combat charms, physical stats secondary, and only Dodge (not Brawl) above 3. It's dubious as a starting character, because 3 Bonus Points for a latent ability is terrible, but those can be bought with just Lunar XP whilst putting charms into something else. If that still seems pretty combat-focused, spoilers: the non-Dex charms don't really end up mattering in this fight, so the build would perform about the same with just 4 combat charms.

She's going to fight three (not a battle group) First Circle demons. It’ll be kind of a one-sided fight, but once I’ve made my point, I can try to find a more worthy opponent. Here we go!

Yoruichi is beset by three Erymanthoi (they prefer to eat the blood of humans AND CATS, after all): Kalshazzak, Sanguine Kong, and Mighty Joe Blood.

JOIN BATTLE
          Yoruichi spends 9m and rolls (7+9=16) dice for 9 successes.
          The Blood-Apes each roll 6 dice, getting 3, 4, and 2 successes, respectively.

ROUND 1
          Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 12i, 6wp, 7/33m
          Kalshazzak: 6i, 5wp, 70m
          Sanguine Kong: 7i, 5wp, 70m
          Mighty Joe Blood: 5i, 5wp, 70m

Yoruichi is already in cat form (5m), and makes a Withering Bite attack against Mighty Joe Blood, no charms. (As a starting character, I’d assume she doesn’t really know what the demons’ defenses are like, and wants to feel them out a little.) She rolls (9+1+3=13) dice for 8 successes, hitting with (12+4-7=9) Withering dice, 5 damage. MJB is crashed. She then spends 3m 2i to enter Golden Tiger Stance.

Each Erymanthus in turn will spend 10m 1wp to use Principle of Motion, making two attacks. Yoruichi’s Evasion is (6+2+1=9). Sanguine Kong makes a Decisive attack (11 dice, 5 successes) and misses, losing 3i, then a Withering attack (11 dice, 7 successes), missing again. Kalshazzak makes a Withering attack (11 dice, 9 successes) - that looks like a hit! So, Yoruichi spends 1m on Agile Beast Defense, giving her +1 evasion and gaining 1i for the successful defense. Kalshazzak makes a second Withering attack (11 dice, 6 successes). Sanguine Kong makes a Withering attack (11 dice, 4 successes), then a second one (11 dice, 7 successes).

ROUND 2
          Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 24i, 6wp, 12/29m
          Kalshazzak: 6i, 4wp, 60m
          Sanguine Kong: 4i, 4wp, 60m
          Mighty Joe Blood: 0i, 4wp, 60m

Yoruichi tries to playfully bat Joe’s head off with a Decisive attack, no charms. He spends 1wp to boost his parry to 5, and she rolls (9+3=12) dice for 4 successes, hitting with 24 Decisive dice, 10 successes. Joe’s head goes flying in a mighty gout of blood. She resets to 3i, then spends 3m 2i to enter Golden Tiger Stance.

Kalshazzak spends 4m 1wp to buy a success and use Brutal Ape Pounce. He rolls 11 dice for 4 successes, missing, and Yoruichi spends 1m on Agile Beast Defense, gaining 1i. That didn’t work, so Sanguine Kong sticks with 10m 1wp Principle of Motion. Yoruichi spends 4m to use Bending Before the Storm each time, and Kong rolls a Withering attack (11 dice, 2 successes), missing and losing 1i, then another (11 dice, 5 successes), missing and losing 1i. Yoruichi spends 1m for Agile Beast Defense and gains 1i after each attack.

ROUND 3
          Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 4i, 6wp, 12/24m
          Kalshazzak: 6i, 3wp, 56m
          Sanguine Kong: 2i, 3wp, 50m

Kalshazzak sticks with Plan PoM for 10m 1wp, and makes a Withering attack (11 dice, 4 successes), missing, and another Withering attack (11 dice, 6 successes), missing. Yoruichi is still feeling the 1m for 1i exchange rate, and uses Agile Beast Defense each time.

Yoruichi makes a no-charm Withering Bite attack against Sanguine Kong, and rolls (9+1+3=13) dice, 7 successes, hitting for (12+3-7=7) Withering dice, 3 damage, and Kong is crashed.

Sanguine Kong spends 10m 1 wp to do the same thing he has every round (Blood-Apes are not known for their originality), and makes a Withering attack against Yoruichi’s evasion of 8 (11 dice, 5 successes), and she spends 1m on Agile Beast Defense as it misses. Then he makes a second Withering attack against evasion (8-1=7), rolling 11 dice for 8 successes - a hit she cannot negate for (15-3=12) Withering dice, 6 damage.

ROUND 4
          Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 10i, 6wp, 16/22m
          Kalshazzak: 6i, 2wp, 46m
          Sanguine Kong: 7i, 2wp, 40m

Yoruichi changes targets and makes a Withering Bite attack against Kalshazzak, spending 2m on Divine Predator Strike. She rolls (9+1+3=13) dice for 5 successes, including a 10, for (12+1+2-7=8) Withering dice, 3 damage. She spends 3m 2i on Golden Tiger Stance.

Sanguine Kong spends 10m 1wp on Principle of Motion, and makes a Withering attack (11 dice, 6 successes), missing, then another (11 dice, 6 successes), missing. Kalshazzak does the same, with Yoruichi spending 4m on Bending Before The Storm before each one (11 dice, 6 successes), which misses and causes Kalshazzak to lose 1i before continuing to his last attack (11 dice, 4 successes), missing and losing another 1i. Yoruichi spends 4m on Agile Beast Defense over the course of those attacks, gaining 4i.

ROUND 5
          Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 16i, 6wp, 16/14m
          Kalshazzak: 1i, 1wp, 36m
          Sanguine Kong: 7i, 1wp, 30m

Yoruichi resumes attacking Sanguine Kong - Withering Bite, no charms - rolling (9+1+3=13) dice for 5 successes, hitting for (12+1-7=6) Withering dice, 3 damage. She spends 3m 2i on Golden Tiger Stance.

Sanguine Kong spends 10m and his last 1wp for Principle of Motion - I feel like an Erymanthus really should finish up with a Shattering Roar to express their feelings on the subject of their whole posse getting wrecked by a housepet, but let’s not make things any easier for our heroine than we did by picking this goofy “fight”. He makes two Withering attacks: the first (11 dice, 5 successes) misses outright, the second (11 dice, 9 successes) is foiled by Agile Beast Defense, which Yoruichi continues to use each time, spending 2m and gaining 2i.

Kalshazzak spends 10m 1wp for PoM as well. Yoruichi spends 2m on Bending before the storm for the first one, a Withering attack (11 dice, 7 successes), causing Kalshazzak to lose 1i and crash, but she doesn’t for the second (11 dice, 7 successes). She Agile Beasts for 2m, gaining 2i.

ROUND 6
          Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 27i, 6wp, 16/10m
          Kalshazzak: 0i, 0wp, 26m
          Sanguine Kong: 4i, 0wp, 20m

Yoruichi adorably leaps into Kalshazzak’s arms - a Decisive attack, no charms. She rolls (9+3=12) dice for 9 successes, 27 Decisive dice, and with 10 successes, she tears clean out through his back. She licks demon-gore off her paws, and resets to 3i.

Sanguine Kong makes a Withering attack, spending 4m to use Brutal Ape Pounce, and rolling 11 dice for 4 successes, missing. Yoruichi spends 1m on Agile Beast Defense, and gains 1i.

ROUND 7
          Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 4i, 6wp, 16/14m
          Sanguine Kong: 4i, 0wp, 16m

Sanguine Kong spends 4m to make another Brutal Ape Pounce, and Yoruichi makes a no-charm Withering Bite, spending 3m for Finding the Needle’s Eye. Kong rolls 11 dice for 7 successes, whilst Yoruichi rolls (9+1+3=13) dice, re-rolling a 1 for 9 successes, and winning the clash to deal (12+2-7=7) Withering dice, 2 damage, plus 3 more for winning a clash. Kong is crashed.

ROUND 8
          Yoruichi of Caerbannog: 15i, 6wp, 16/16m
          Sanguine Kong: -1i, 0wp, 12m

Yoruichi twists between Sanguine Kong’s legs, rolling a no-charm Decisive attack. She rolls (9+3=12) dice for 7 successes, hitting for 15 Decisive dice, 7 damage. Kong’s leg is shattered, and he takes a -2 wound penalty.

Yoruichi resets to 3i, but at this point, she’s just batting her food around. Sanguine Kong has a 3% of hitting past Agile Beast Defense, even assuming she uses no other defensive tricks.

To recap: the cat won, and it wasn't really a fight. She was never crashed, and never took Decisive damage. She never used an Excellency save on Join Battle (and that was mostly just to speed up the fight), she probably would have gotten close to full motes as she finished off Sanguine Kong (heck, if the GM called the fight at the start of next round, she's only out 11 motes, which is pretty close to the 9 she spent on that one Excellency). She didn't need her No-Moon Anima power. She didn't even reach Glowing.

Underfoot Menace, an ability which appears to have been written as a joke, means +3 attack and +2 Evasion, all the time, non-charm. Cats aren't just the new Infinite Ability Mastery, they're a cap-breaking Infinite Ability Mastery - if this looked goofy, think about it with stronger attacks (Mutations combined with Claws of the Silver Moon gives it full Artifact weapon stats), Moonsilver armor, Brawl 5, or even just Excellencies.

Cat Lunars are terrifying.

EDIT: before trying this fight, I searched for "cat" and came up empty, so I thought this was all news. It was only just after posting that I thought to try "Underfoot Menace," at which point I learned http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/1305398-exalted-arena?p=1307696#post1307696"]I'm less original than I might have hoped[/URL]. I'm still leaving this proof of concept here - I guess now my next step is to rework Yoruichi into a slightly fightier form and see if it can triumph where that other murderkitty failed.
          JohnDoe was kind enough to run my Death Kitty against one of his best DB builds here:

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...35#post1325435

Kylina (Death Kitty) isn’t fully combat optimized (she’s a Changing Moon after all) but she comes off quite well I thought.

Edit: Note, Underfoot Menace, like all animal form bonuses, counts as dice added by charms, so it’s not really a cap breaker.

It just allows you to sit at 21 accuracy (23 in clash) and 9-10 Evasion without a single point of mote expenditure, for as long as you like.
          Last edited by prototype00; 11-17-2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chejop Kejak View Post
            I've heard somewhere that any dice added by merits in animal form count as charm dice, so it is IAM, except better because there's no activation cost or anything, but I don't think it's cap-breaking IAM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
              I've heard somewhere that any dice added by merits in animal form count as charm dice, so it is IAM, except better because there's no activation cost or anything, but I don't think it's cap-breaking IAM.
              Man what.

I mean, it's a totally reasonable rule, and you seem to be right. I couldn't find the clearest confirmation, but that seems to be what Vance is saying here, and earlier it was presumed in this question, which Vance didn't correct when he answered it.

But, wow, what an important rule to not even point towards in the text.

Thanks for pointing that out - I could have made a real fool of myself when I started mucking about with Berserker and the like.
              Last edited by Chejop Kejak; 11-26-2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• I think the idea is that anything you get from your animal form that exceeds what you can do without it is counted as stuff added from charms in an attempt to avoid crazy stacking. It also applies to things like creatures that get an automatic 2 successes on attacks against crashed foes, those 2 successes are counted as dice from charms if you get the effect.

Now, what I don't know, is when those take effect. For example your base from has a 10 die attack, and the animal only has an 8 die one. If something grants you 2 successes to attack does that count as adding 2 successes to the 10 die pool, or 2 successes to the 8 die pool, meaning 1 success overflowing. I'm inclined to think the former, but I'm not sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                  I think the idea is that anything you get from your animal form that exceeds what you can do without it is counted as stuff added from charms in an attempt to avoid crazy stacking. It also applies to things like creatures that get an automatic 2 successes on attacks against crashed foes, those 2 successes are counted as dice from charms if you get the effect.

Now, what I don't know, is when those take effect. For example your base from has a 10 die attack, and the animal only has an 8 die one. If something grants you 2 successes to attack does that count as adding 2 successes to the 10 die pool, or 2 successes to the 8 die pool, meaning 1 success overflowing. I'm inclined to think the former, but I'm not sure.
                  It’s a bit moot as if your base pool is higher than the animal’s you’ll always use that pool (ie you always use the higher of yours or the animal’s pool). So if an animal effect gives you a +2 bonus, that would be +2 Charm Dice tacked on to your higher value.

Comment

• After looking back at that "cat Lunar vs 3 DBs" fight, I just couldn't shake the idea that something I'd tinkered with (bot not really used) back around the kickstarter had the answer to that fight. Back then, the very first combat build I'd wanted to try was a Hulk Lunar, using the relevant Charms to specialize in Strength and Stamina but not Dex. I put one together and ran 'em through a few fights, but was ultimately disappointed, since they didn't have anything to help with mote efficiency on attack or defense, and therefore lost the very wars of attrition which all those Stamina tricks wanted them to play. But I did have a final idea, which I wrote down before moving on to other things but never tried.

Now, it is time to test the terrible powers of Berserker.

It looks very strong. So strong, in fact, that partway into reconstructing my old Hulk build, I decided to drop them from Essence 3 to Essence 2, since I didn't think they'd need that power, and E2 Celestials which can win this fight was the topic back then. Which brings us to Shadowed Sabitha:
                    Shadowed Sabitha, the Battleboar
                    Full Moon Caste

Essence: 2; Willpower: 10; Join Battle: 12 dice (+10), reroll 1s
                    Personal Motes: 17; Peripheral Motes: 36 (42) motes

Strength: 5
                    Dexterity: 2
                    Stamina: 5
                    Wits: 5

Athletics 5 (rushes)
                    Awareness 5 (join battle)
                    Brawl 5 (Hellboar form)
                    Dodge 3 (disengaging)
                    Integrity 5
                    Resistance 5

Intimacies:
                    Defining Principle: “I am the ultimate whiteroom combat character, and shall always triumph!”
                    Major Principle: “Making war is just for fun.”
                    Major Tie: Builds which have won in previous whiteroom battles (rivalry)
                    Minor Tie: References to that blind guy from Princess Monoke (bittersweet amusement)

Merits:
                    Artifact (Seven Furies Caged)
                    Pain Tolerance
                    Fast Reflexes

Latent Powers:
                    Predator’s Hunger

Combat:
                    Hellboar Bite: 12 (+10) dice (14 damage, minimum 5)
                    Bite Of The Silver Moon: 13 (+10) dice (17 damage, minimum 10)
                    Decisive Attack: 11 (+10) dice (10 to control grapples)
                    Evasion 1, Parry 6
                    Soak 23 (+10), Hardness 10 (both will get higher)
                    HLs: -0x1/-1x2/-2x12/-4x11/Incap

Charms:
                    Ox-Body Technique x5
                    Steel Paw Style
                    Durant Quicksilver Adaptation
                    Bear Sleep Technique
                    Halting the Scarlet Flow
                    Relentless Lunar Fury
                    Stone Rhino’s Skin
                    Frenzied Bear Fortification

Deadly Claw Blow
                    Ferocious Biting Tooth
                    Divine Predator Strike
                    Snarling Hound Strife
                    Unstoppable Beast-Force Blow (but given her combat form of choice, she should totally have Prey-Hobbling Bite instead)
                    Angry Rhino Charge
                    Claws of the Silver Moon

Evocations:
                    Jubilant Loss of Control
                    Invincible Berserker Approach
                    Unrelenting Destroyer Fury

Sadly, she’s an even more absurd combat character than I’d planned - I designed this build on the theory of a 90xp Lunar (right in the middle of Essence 2) who had spent 2/3 of their Charms on fightey stuff, which about tracks for what I’ve seen in actual games. Sadly, I somehow forgot that you need to spend actual Charms on de-godstatting Dexterity, and also about needing the non-combat Bear Sleep technique to get Halting The Scarlet Flow. So, instead of 14/21 E1 combat Charms, she has a crazy 18/21. Ah, well. You don’t get a boar as your spirit shape from your lack of stubborn drive.

Her enemies should be exactly as they were described in the old murderkitty fight:
                    Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                    3 Dragonblooded, Water Aspect Hammerer, Wood Aspect Archer, Fire Aspect Immaculate

Water per: 14 iph: 24 (35)
                    Wood per: 14 iph: 26 (35)
                    Fire per: 14 iph: 25 (35)

Wood has 3/5/5
                    Water has 5/5/3
                    Fire has 5/5/3

All have awareness 5 with specialties, wood and water have 4 wits, fire has 5

STATS

Water
                    Hammer 14 (Damage 17/4)
                    Soak 14/10
                    Parry 7

Wood
                    Powerbow 16 (Damage 15/4)
                    Soak 10/4
                    Evasion 6

Fire
                    Twinblades 16 (Damage 15/3)
                    Soak 11/7
                    Parry 6

Have all Essence 3 charms related to their combat ability, as well as ISoS, Wood also has the dodge sig and Virtuous Negation Defense. Each has 2 ox-bodies.
                    Adding things up for quick reference (and adding joke names as I am wont to do), that gives us this:

Peleps Burrell, Water Hammer:
                    14/25(35)m, 8wp; 14d (17/4 damage); Parry 7, Soak 14/10 (-0x1, -1x5, -2x5, -4x1)
                    Cathak Zuko, Fire Monk:
                    14/25(35)m, 8wp; 16d (15/4 damage); Parry 6, Soak 11/7 (-0x1, -1x5, -2x5, -4x1)
                    V’Neef Emiya, Wood Archer:
                    14/25(35)m, 8wp; 16d (15/4 damage); Evasion 6, Soak 10/4 (-0x1, -1x4, -2x6, -4x1)

Say, do those health levels seem funny to anyone else? Eh, it's probably nothing. Certainly not a mistake which will alter the whole trajectory of this fight in the very first round. I don't know what I was worried about.

Here we go:
                    JOIN BATTLE
                    Sabitha spends 10m and rolls (12+10=22) dice, rerolling 1s, for 14 successes.
                    Burrell spends 6m 1wp and rolls (10+6) dice for 6+1 successes.
                    Zuko spends 6m 1wp and rolls (11+6) dice for 9+1 successes.
                    Emiya spends 6m 1wp and rolls (10+6) dice for 3+1 successes.
                    Everyone but Burrell is now Glowing.

I suppose one can only be so surprised that Emiya is unlucky. Or slow-witted, for that matter.

ROUND 1
                    Shadowed Sabitha: 17i; 17/26m; 10wp; 1a
                    Peleps Burrell: 10i; 8/25m; 9wp; 0a
                    Cathak Zuko: 13i; 14/19m; 9wp; 1a
                    V’Neef Emiya: 7i; 14/19m; 9wp; 1a

Sabitha goes right in for a Decisive attack against Burrell, spending 20m on a full Excellency, Ferocious Biting Tooth, Divine Predator Strike, Unstoppable Beast-Force Blow, and eventually, Snarling Hound Strife. Burrell spends 15m 3i on Fire Incites Water To A Riot Of Clouds, backed by Crossfire Flash and a full Excellency. Each also spends 1wp for a success. Sabitha rolls (11+10) dice for 11+1 successes including a single 10. Burrell rolls (14+6) dice, then re-rolls 3 failures, for 12+1 successes… but also four 1s, for a final total of 9, losing the clash. That’s (17+2+2) Decisive dice with double 10s, for 10+1 levels of damage.

(The Pattern Spiders remind you that Burrell totally died here, since Dr LM describes these three as having 2 Ox-Bodies each back in the day, but in my notes I gave everyone but Emiya 3 instead. It’s probably for the best, though - the idea here was to look at Frenzied Bear Fortification as a cheap defensive option which could turn the tide against multiple DBs, not to show off crazy doomcombos which even the odds quickly. The Pattern Spiders would, nevertheless, arrange a suitable tragic fate to balance the scales forBurrell if he lived through this - they’re sticklers about that sort of thing.)

Burrell is Glowing, and enters Water Aura. He has a wound penalty of -2. Bone-Crunching Bite also inflicts a -3 crippling penalty to all Str and Dex actions (but not defense). Sabitha is Burning, and she resets to (3+2)i.

Zuko shouts “honor!” as he spends 9m to make a Withering attack with Full Excellency and Searing Edge Attack. Sabitha leaves her parry at (6-1), so he rolls (16+6) dice for 12 successes. 7 Threshold successes aren’t enough to get him above minimum damage (SPOILERS: no DB in this fight will get above minimum damage), so he does 4 Withering dice: just 1 damage, but SEA means Sabitha loses 4i. Zuko is Burning and enters Fire Aura.

Emiya aims at the Lunar.

ROUND 2
                    Shadowed Sabitha: 1i; 17/11m; 8wp; 2a
                    Peleps Burrell: 10i; 13/10m; 7wp; 1a (11lvs; Wound Penalty -2; Crippling -3) - Water Aura
                    Cathak Zuko: 15i; 14/15m; 9wp; 2a - Fire Aura
                    V’Neef Emiya: 7i; 14/24m; 9wp; 1a

Zuko sees no reason to break with a winning tradition (or, to be honest, any tradition), and spends 6m on another Withering attack. Sabitha’s parry remains at (6-2), so Zuko easily hits for 4 dice, 3 Withering damage. Sabitha is crashed, and Zuko hits Bonfire.

Burrell spends 11m 1wp and expends Water Aura for a full-Excellency Roaring River Slash. Sabitha spends 10m to raise her parry to (6+5-3=8); both spend 1wp. Burrell rolls (11+6-5) dice for 5 successes, missing, and drops to 7i as the water ribbon goes shearing off through some unfortunate piece of scenery. Burrell is Burning, Sabitha reaches Bonfire (and gains even more soak, in the wildly unlikely event that ever matters).

Emiya makes a Withering ranged attack, spending 6m on Excellency and 3m on Arrow Thorn Technique, against Sabitha’s parry of (6-4=2). He rolls (15+6+3) dice and gets 13 successes, hitting for (4+3) Withering dice, 5 damage. Emiya is Burning and enters Wood Aura.

At the start of Sabitha’s turn, she takes 3d of Decisive damage from Zuko’s Anima Flux, for 1 total. She reflexively spends 5m to activate Relentless Lunar Fury, then for her action, spends another 5m 1wp on Claws (Tusks?) of the Silver Moon.

ROUND 3
                    Shadowed Sabitha: -7i; 12/1m; 6wp; 3a
                    Peleps Burrell: 7i; 7/10m; 7wp; 2a (11lvs; Wound Penalty -2; Crippling -3)
                    Cathak Zuko: 24i; 14/9m; 9wp; 3a - Fire Aura
                    V’Neef Emiya: 13i; 14/20m; 9wp; 2a - Wood Aura

Zuko spends 14m 4i 2wp on every Fire Immaculate’s dream: a full-Excellency Firey Blade Attack + Perfect Blazing Blow against a crashed Anathema (with 1 extra success). Sabitha leaves her parry at 6, and Zuko rolls (11+6) dice, easily finding 3 8/9s to double, for 13+1 successes, hitting for 23 decisive dice, 8 damage. He resets to 3i. Sabitha gains 1i for taking decisive damage, she’s engulfed in a magical bonfire, and her wound penalty rises to -2… in theory. In practice, that number can only help her, since for anything where it’s actually a penalty, Pain Tolerance reduces it to -1, which Relentless Lunar Fury halves and rounds away to nothing. And help her it will, as she reflexively spends 7m to activate Frenzied Bear Fortification.

Emiya aims at the Lunar. He’d like to move closer so he can attack every round, but he’s an Essence 3 Shikari, and knows you’re never totally sure they don’t have a way to hit at Short range.

Burrell spends 3m 2i to enter Flame Warden Stance, defending Zuko, to prevent a possible Initiative Shift. He enters Fire Aura.

Sabitha’s turn begins. Zuko’s 3d Anima Flux fails to damage her, and she rolls Dexterity + Dodge (I think - typical of 3E Hazards, the Charm doesn’t actually say) against the bonfire: (5+1) dice get 2 successes, so she takes 4 Decisive dice for 2 damage, and gains 1i. Annoyed she can’t touch the monk, she makes a Withering attack against Burrell instead - no motes, but her dice pool is now (12+1+1+2=16). Burrell spends 6m to raise his parry to (7+3-2=8), and Sabitha rolls 6 successes, missing. Having finally applied his Melee skill successfully, Burrell reduces the cost of Stoking Bonfire Style by 1 starting next turn.

ROUND 4
                    Shadowed Sabitha: -6i; 10/1m; 6wp; 3a (11lvs, Wound Penalty -2, on fire)
                    Peleps Burrell: 5i; 1/12m; 7wp; 2a (11lvs; Wound Penalty -2; Crippling -3) - Fire Aura (SBS -1)
                    Cathak Zuko: 3i; 0/14m; 7wp; 3a - Fire Aura
                    V’Neef Emiya: 13i; 14/25m; 9wp; 2a - Wood Aura

Emiya spends 9m for a full-Excellency Withering attack with Arrow Thorn Technique. Sabitha doesn’t spend motes, so he hits, but Frenzied Bear Fortification reduces his post-Soak damage by 2, for (4+3-2) Withering dice, 4 damage. Emiya reaches Bonfire, and leaves Fire Aura.

Burrell spends 3m on a 4-die Excellency, and makes a Withering attack with (14+4-2-3) dice against parry (6-1=5), hitting for (4-2) Withering dice, 2 damage. SBS discount rises to 2.

Zuko spends 6m on a Withering attack, Sabitha spends nothing, he hits, you know the drill. He only gets (4-2) Withering dice, for 0 damage.

Sabitha takes 3d from Zuko’s Anima (2 damage) and rolls 6 dice for 5 successes to surprisingly resist the bonfire she’s in. I guess she gains 1i for taking Decisive damage, but it really doesn’t matter right now. She makes a no-Charm Withering attack at Burrell, and he spends 5m for parry (7+3-2=8), she rolls 7 successes for a miss. Burrell reaches Bonfire and his SBS discount reaches 3.

ROUND 5
                    Shadowed Sabitha: -10i; 10/6m; 6wp; 3a (13lvs, Wound Penalty -2, on fire)
                    Peleps Burrell: 6i; 6/4m; 7wp; 3a (11lvs; Wound Penalty -2; Crippling -3) (SBS -3)
                    Cathak Zuko: 4i; 0/13m; 7wp; 3a - Fire Aura
                    V’Neef Emiya: 18i; 14/21m; 9wp; 3a - Wood Aura

Emiya aims at the Lunar. Obviously.

Burrell spends 3m on a full-Excellency Withering attack, and Sabitha takes it on parry 6. He rolls (14+6-2-3) dice for 5 successes, missing. Maybe my whiteroom fights aren’t grindy because I’m too cautious, but because my attack rolls suck.

Zuko makes a no-Charm Withering attack, and Sabitha still doesn’t boost her parry (6-1=5). He rolls 16 dice for 3 successes, totally proving my point.

At the start of her turn, Sabitha resets to 3i. She now has Hardness once again, so she doesn’t take Anima Flux, but still rolls 6 dice, getting 4 successes and taking 3 bonfire damage. That gives her 1i due to RLF, and also raises her wound penalty to -4: that means -1 parry, but +4 to all attacks and -4 to post-soak damage. She spends 4m for an Unrelenting Destroyer Fury-fueled Withering attack against Burrell, who spends 3m for a full Excellency and 1wp, parry (7+3+1-2=9). She rolls (12+1+1+4+5) dice for 9 successes and (5+5+4) Withering dice, 7 damage. Stoking Bonfire Style’s discount ends, and Burrell is crashed.

ROUND 6
                    Shadowed Sabitha: 22i; 15/2m; 6wp; 3a (16lvs, Wound Penalty -4, on fire)
                    Peleps Burrell: -1i; 0/9m; 6wp; 3a (11lvs; Wound Penalty -2; Crippling -3)
                    Cathak Zuko: 4i; 0/18m; 7wp; 3a - Fire Aura
                    V’Neef Emiya: 18i; 14/25m; 9wp; 3a - Wood Aura

Sabitha rolls 2 successes on 6 dice and takes 3 more damage from the bonfire. With the wicked “I just realized this nasty trick” grin known to gamers everywhere (and still recognizable on the features of a horse-sized pig), she makes a grapple Gambit against Burrell, spending 2m on an Excellency and 1wp on a success. Burrell spends 6m 1wp for dear life (7+3+1-2-1=8 parry), and she rolls (11+1+4+2) dice for 7+1 successes, just barely hitting. 22 Initiative make a mockery of a difficulty 2 roll, so she drops to 19i and makes the control roll: her own (10+1) dice find 4 successes against poor crippled Burrell, who rolls (10-2-3=5) dice, spending 1wp to add a success, but only rolls a single success, giving her 3 rounds of control.

Sabitha then makes a Savaging Withering attack, rolling (12+1+1+4) dice for 9 unopposed successes, or (14+3+9-14=12) Withering dice - for the first time in this fight, an attack exceeded minimum damage! She deals 5 damage.

Emiya sticks with my general plan of “when you can see they’re tougher than ‘just’ Heavy Artifact Armor, assume you need to break Hardness 20,” and spends 9m for a full-Excellency Withering attack with Arrow Thorn Technique, Sabitha leaves her parry at (6-1-1=4), and he hits. (4+3-4) Withering dice yield just 1 damage.

We’ll extend poor Zuko the dubious pleasure of Charm transparency: he knows that it’s impossible for him to hurt this monster. He obviously can’t break her Hardness, and since Searing Edge Attack needs successes on the damage roll, he can’t overcome Frenzied Bear Fortification, either. Ultimately, all he can do is spend 2i on Full Defense, and hope that his continued opposition to Disengage actions buys time for Emiya and the fire to finish this.

At the start of Burrell’s turn, he has to deal with the bonfire he’s been pulled into. Even if we assume he’s got something like Dodge 3, a relevant Specialty, and an Excellency, he’s only rolling (9-2-3=5) dice with 2 successes, and that’s assuming there’s no penalty to that roll when you’re grappled, which seems like a really dubious assumption, given the -2 Evasion and -3 to attacks needing just to move both arms. I still gave him 5 dice, but he rolled 2 successes, for 4 total, meaning he’ll take 4 Decisive dice for 3 damage. Peleps Burrell is Incapacitated by the flames of his own Sworn Kin.

On which subject: Sabitha reflexively spends 5m 1wp to use Halting The Scarlet Flow.

ROUND 7
                    Shadowed Sabitha: 25i; 15/0m; 5wp; 3a (19lvs, Wound Penalty -4, on fire, 5rds of HtSF)
                    Peleps Burrell: DEAD
                    Cathak Zuko: 2i; 0/23m; 7wp; 3a - Fire Aura
                    V’Neef Emiya: 20i; 14/25m; 9wp; 3a - Wood Aura

Sabitha recovers 1hl, then has to contend with the fire, rolling 2 successes on 6 dice, taking 1 level of damage back, and gaining 1i. She then spends 4m on Unrelenting Destroyer Fury and 1wp on a success as she makes a Decisive attack against Zuko, he spends 6m 1wp for parry (6+3+1+2=12), and she rolls (11+1+4+5) dice for 10+1 successes, missing. She drops to 23i.

Emiya still needs to clear Hardness 20, so he moves up to Short Range and spends 9m on Excellency + Arrow Thorn Technique. As usual, Sabitha doesn’t spend motes and gets hit, but this time, damage is only (4+1-4). Still, he gets a success on his lone die, for one damage.

Zuko prays to the Dragons as he takes Full Defense again. He crashes himself, giving Sabitha the Initiative Break - he’s not really expecting to survive a hit anyway.

ROUND 8
                    Shadowed Sabitha: 27i; 16/0m; 4wp; 3a (19lvs, Wound Penalty -4, on fire, 4rds of HtSF)
                    Cathak Zuko: 0i; 0/22m; 6wp; 3a - Fire Aura
                    V’Neef Emiya: 22i; 14/21m; 9wp; 3a - Wood Aura

At the start of her turn, Sabitha recovers 1hl, then spends 1wp for a success and 6m on a maxxed-out Dexterity Excellency to avoid the fire, rolling (5+1+6-1) dice for 6+1 successes. She then spends 4m 1wp to attack Zuko just like she did last turn - anything less would be a distinctly RELENTING Destroyer Fury. All the math is just like last round, but this time she rolls 14+1 successes - Blade-Deflecting Palm can’t save him even before I remember that he’s out of Initiative to use it. That means (27+3) Decisive dice, which means 12 damage, which is a funny number: if I repeat my Round 1 mistake and give Zuko an extra Ox-Body, too, he’s technically alive. At his -4hl, with a further -3 Crippling penalty to all physical actions, crashed, with Withering attacks which literally cannot damage his enemy.

We’re gonna call that Incapacitated, and Sabitha resets to 3i.

But Emiya is still standing on this field of corpses, and he unleashes all the fury that DB Archery has to offer: 12m 2wp for a full Excellency, Arrow Thorn Technique, Spring Follows Winter, and Heartbeats Before Death (plus an extra success). Shockingly, (11+6+3) dice with an extra success beast parry (6-1=5) by 3+ even without buying rerolls (indeed, Emiya’s dice go nuts with 14 successes), so he gets (22+3=25) Decisive dice, and Sabitha spends 5m on Stone Rhino’s Skin. Emiya rolls 11 successes, but also three 1s, for a total of 8 Decisive damage - exactly enough to leave Sabitha alive on her final -4 health level.

And they say the whiteroom isn’t cinematic.

Sabitha gains 1i for the Decisive damage. Emiya resets to 3i and flees back out to Medium range.

ROUND 9
                    Shadowed Sabitha: 4i; 0/6m; 2wp; 3a (26lvs, Wound Penalty -4, on fire, 3rds of HtSF)
                    Cathak Zuko: INCAPACITATED
                    V’Neef Emiya: 3i; 14/14m; 7wp; 3a - Wood Aura

Sabitha recovers 1hl, and spends 6m 1wp resisting the fire to roll (5+1+6-1) dice for 6+1 successes. She then spends 2i to Disengage from the fire, rolling (6+2+1-1) dice for 2 successes. She moves out to Short range from the fire - and from Emiya.

Emiya, once again, aims.

ROUND 10
                    Shadowed Sabitha: 2i; 0/5m; 1wp; 3a (25lvs, Wound Penalty -4, 2rds of HtSF)
                    V’Neef Emiya: 3i; 14/19m; 7wp; 3a - Wood Aura

Emiya spends 9m to make his signature attack, as usual, Sabitha’s defense stays at (6-1=5). 10 successes on (16+6+3) dice (remember me telling you how many dice/successes this attack rolled? It’s been so long…) and for (4+3-4) Withering dice. Sabitha spends 2m for Stone Rhino’s Skin, and Emiya rolls 2 damage, crashing her. He reflexively moves back to Medium range.

Sabitha recovers 1hl. She reflexively moves to Short range from Emiya, and rushes him. She spends 1wp on a success 3m on an Excellency, for (11+3+1+2-1) dice and gets 13+1 successes, Emiya spends 6m 1wp for 4 extra successes and rolls 11 dice for 7+4 successes. Sabitha’s rush succeeds, and she breathes a sigh of relief as Angry Rhino Charge gives her 1i, bringing her out of crash.

ROUND 11
                    Shadowed Sabitha: 1i; 0/5m; 0wp; 3a (24lvs, Wound Penalty -4, 1rd of HtSF)
                    V’Neef Emiya: 11i; 14/9m; 6wp; 3a - Wood Aura

Emiya breaks with tradition (hey, Zuko can’t be scandalized by what he’s unconscious for) and spends just 2m on Excellency, plus 3m for Arrow Thorn Technique. Sabitha doesn’t boost parry, Emiya hits with 11 successes, to deal (4+1-4) Withering dice, and rolls a 1 for no damage. He doesn’t move away, making this yet another fight in which Trample does nothing.

Sabitha recovers 1hl and Halting the Scarlet Flow ends. She moves into Close range with Emiya, and spends 4m for Unrelenting Destroyer Fury to make a Withering attack. Emiya spends 10m (courtesy of Swaying Grass Elusion) 1wp for Dodge (6+5+1=12), and Sabitha rolls (12+1+1+4+5) dice for 13 successes, hitting for (10+4) Withering dice, 8 damage.

ROUND 12
                    Shadowed Sabitha: 10i; 0/6m; 0wp; 3a (23lvs, Wound Penalty -4)
                    V’Neef Emiya: 3i; 1/12m; 5wp; 3a - Wood Aura

Sabitha spends 4m to keep on Furiously Destroying, Emiya spends 8m 2i 1wp for evasion (6+5+1-1=11), and she rolls (12+1+1+4+5) dice for 11 successes, hitting for (10+4) Withering dice, 7 damage. Emiya is crashed.

Emiya spends 4m 1i to make a disengage attempt with a bonus success and a 2-success Excellency. Sabitha doesn’t spend motes to oppose, so Emiya rolls (11) dice, after getting a couple of bonus dice for rolling 10s, he has 6+3 successes. Sabitha rolls (11+2+1-1) for 7 successes, and Emiya moves away.

ROUND 13
                    Shadowed Sabitha: 18i; 0/7m; 0wp; 3a (23lvs, Wound Penalty -4)
                    V’Neef Emiya: -6i; 6/0m; 3wp; 3a - Wood Aura

Sabitha moves towards Emiya to trigger his reflexive movement (still at Short range), then rishes him, spending 7m for (11+2+1+7-1) dice, 15(!) successes. Emiya spends 6m 1wp for 4 bonus successes, and rolls 11 dice with re-rolls off of three(!) 10s for 10+4. Sabitha’s rush succeeds, and she gains 1i.

Emiya is all out of options. He’s crashed, can’t move away, has no motes, and cannot do damage without Charms. To die like a true hero (of an evil regime, but hey), he moves back to Close range himself, and aims.

ROUND 14
                    Shadowed Sabitha: 19i; 0/5m; 0wp; 3a (23lvs, Wound Penalty -4)
                    V’Neef Emiya: -6i; 5/0m; 2wp; 3a - Wood Aura

Sabitha spends 4m on UDF and rolls (11+1+4+5) dice for 9 successes on a Decisive attack. Emiya spends 1wp raising his evasion to 7, so he’s hit for (19+2) Decisive dice, somehow only 4 damage. Emiya’s wound penalty is -1, in addition to a -2 crippling penalty from Bone-Crunching Bite. Sabitha resets to 3i.

Emiya spends 5m 1wp to make a final Thorn Arrow Withering attack, complete with 2-die Excellency and extra success. He rolls (9+2+3-1-2) dice for 4+1 successes against parry 5, hitting for (4+3-4) Withering dice, but only gets 1 damage, not quite making his close-range longshot.

With no remaining paths to victory, Emiya collapses. Sabitha celebrates her triumph with a quick dance party… of massive hooves stomping the stubborn archer into paste.

Wow, that was close. So close, I feel like I could run that fight ten times, and see each side win five.

My main takeaway here is that Berserker is exactly as crazy as it looks. Free bonus dice on attacks and (with Frenzied Bear Fortification) post-soak damage reduction is an incredible combat suite. And, of course, this is just the Essence 2 version. At Essence 3, things really go bananas, with Wounded But Never Down and Unstoppable Juggernaut Incarnation (Perfected Hybrid Interaction with Giant preferred) providing a great safety net for health levels, while Bloodthirsty Siaka Frenzy and Frenzied Desperation Strike provide one for Initiative.

This might not be the most practical plan for actual gameplay. For one thing, your allies may not be best pleased if their combat specialist specializes in making combats take a long time. That’s a bit dull for someone without a lot to do in battle, and also allows more chances for a lucky hit to drop someone less durable than Sabitha (which is to say, virtually anyone). For another, this build’s best trick is letting enemies make their big Decisive attacks, then being too tough for them to ever build up the Initiative to try again, and squishier friends ruin that plan. The biggest problem, however, is the healing time: even using Bear Sleep Technique, Sabitha would need more than 11 days to reach full health after this particular battle. “Hey guys, mind if I spend two weeks comatose? Try not to have any exciting adventures!” And since you live and die by a high soak value, you might even end up considering an Unusual Hide-based Tell, which would limit your options outside of combat, too.

(Seriously, Exalted healing times are really asinine once you gain a few extra HLs. I really wish it were more like "it takes 4 days to heal all damage in a character's -1 Health Levels," and Bear Sleep technique ensured you'd be at full health again after a day or two, but that's neither here nor there.)

I will allow that the three DBs here aren't the best-suited to countering Sabetha: a Melee fighter with Stamina 5 and a Balanced weapon, or someone using Earth Dragon and Faith's Pillar. But then again, that was part of the reasoning for using Dr LM's builds exactly (give or take an accidental Ox-Body): to get a general look at a build which skews in a direction this extremely, I wanted DBs made with no knowledge of the opponent. And they weren't terrible for the job: Emiya and Burrell both had reliable ways to get a high Overwhelming, and though I expected Zuko to be pretty useless, the hardness-breaking grind of that bonfire made him far and away the biggest damage dealer here. Even on the very last action of the fight, an admittedly-unlikely 3 damage on 3 dice would have given Emiya a real chance at victory, which sounds like a build pretty well-suited for this matchup.

Comment

• Any fights against Mata-Yadh in this thread?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                        Any fights against Mata-Yadh in this thread?
                        Not yet. He’s a pretty big boy though, do you mean like a 1v1 or a full party? 1v1 with a powerful Solar would be a bit of a slog but the Solar would eventually win it I think, and a 1v5 against a full party would just be an endless beat down with no hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                          Any fights against Mata-Yadh in this thread?
                          I was bored. Enjoy:

Ganan vs Mata-Yadh

Session 60 Cynis Ganan vs Mata-Yadh (No stunts)

Join Battle

Mata-Yadh rolls 10 dice for 7i
                          Ganan spends 6m on Precision Awareness Method and 3m on Pasiap Preempts Haste to roll 15 dice with double-9s for 8i. (14/20m, 1a)

Round 1

8i. Ganan delays to Clash with Pasiap Preempts Haste.

7i. Mata-Yadh uses Prism-Pyre Immolation (40m, 6WP) to roll 17 dice to grapple for 12 successes. Mata-Yadh uses Blinding Aurora (35m, 5i). Ganan Clashes with a 3m Excellency, Stillness-of-Stone Atemi, Withering Smash (14/12m, 2a, 7i) rolling 18 dice for 13 successes (8i).

Ganan rolls (19+1-25) minimum damage of 6 dice (rerolling 6s) for (4+3) 7i. (15i/1i)

Ganan enters Earth Aura.

Ganan: 15i (14/17m, 5WP, 2a) Earth Aura
                          Mata-Yadh: 1i (40m, 6WP) Clash, Prone

Round 2

12i. Ganan uses a Destroy Limb Gambit. Mata-Yadh’s Parry is (6-2-1) 3, hitting, then rolls 15i against difficulty 5 succeeding. Ganan drops to 9i.

Mata-Yadh loses 3i, dropping to -2i. Ganan gets the Crash Bonus and rises to 14i. Mata-Yadh lacks the Initiative for Aurora Bleed. Kids, please, please stop giving NPCs abilities that cost Initiative.

-2i. MY Withers with Obsidian Claws. All its offensive Charms require a Decisive attack. Goodie. MY rolls (16-3) 13 dice vs Ganan’s Parry of 6, for 7 successes, hitting (-1i).

Ganan spends 9m to Reflexively enter Earth Dragon Form (14/8m).

MY rolls (22+1-20) minimum damage of 5 dice, for 2i (1i/12i).

Ganan: 12i (14/13m, 3a) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form
                          Mata-Yadh: 1i (45m) (1) Prone

Round 3

Anima Flux: Whiff

12i. Why break the habit of a lifetime? Delay. (10i)

1i. MY Withers with Obsidian Claws for 13 dice – 7 successes. Ganan Clashes with a 3m Excellency, Stillness-of-Stone Atemi, Withering Smash (14/8m, 9i) for 21 dice – 13 successes (10i).

Ganan rolls 6 dice (rr6s) of damage for (5+3)i (18i/1i).

Ganan: 18i (14/13m, 3a) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form
                          Mata-Yadh: 1i (45m) (1) Prone, Clash

Round 4

18i. Ganan rolls 11 dice against Parry 2 for 12 successes. He rolls 18 dice against Difficulty 5 for 8 successes (12i). Another limb gone.

Mata-Yadh takes -3i for -2i. Ganan gets the Crash bonus – 17i.

-2i. Let’s mix it up a little, MY flurries.

First a Rise From Prone rolling (10-3-1) 6 dice against difficulty 2, succeeding.

Then wither with Obsidian Claws. Rolling 13 dice against Parry 6 for 5 successes, missing.

Ganan: 17i (14/18m, 3a) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form
                          Mata-Yadh: -2i (50m), -1 Wound Penalty (2), Flurry

Round 5

Anima flux: Whiff.

17i. Destroy Limb Gambit. Ganan rolls 11 dice against Parry (6-1) 4 for 7 successes, hitting. He rolls 17i for 8 successes, succeeding. Ganan drops to 11i.

Mata-Yadh loses 3i (-5i).

-5i. Mata-Yadh withers on (16-1) 15 dice for 9 successes, and rolls minimum damage for 1 success (-3i/10i).

Ganan: 10i (14/20m, 3a) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form
                          Mata-Yadh: -3i (50m), -1 Wound Penalty (3)

Round 6

Anima Flux: Whiff

10i. Ganan uses Chambered Fist Charge (9i, 14/18m) to build 2 Charge.

-2i. Mata-Yadh makes a 15 dice Wither. Ganan defends with a Full Excellency (14/12m) to reach Parry 9. Mata-Yadh rolls 12 successes, hitting (-1i). Ganan declares Unmoving Mountain Stance (14/6m)

Mata-Yadh rolls 5 dice of damage for 4 successes, reduced by 2 for UMS (1i/5i).

Ganan: 5i (14/11m, 3a) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges, Aim
                          Mata-Yadh: 1i (50m), -1 Wound Penalty (3)

Round 7

5i. Delay. (3i)

1i. MY uses a 15 dice wither, 8 successes. Ganan uses a 3m Excellency, Force of the Mountain, Smash, Aimed, Withering attack (14/5m) for 24 dice, 9 success.

Ganan rolls (19+5+1+2-25) 5 dice, getting 6 successes (no, really: ޣᰫ䂼ྀ㬧ᠯ䁖(⁋䃦䰴戱瀮䰠窑叠䔠䩰Ǔ加帴ɐ€͠γ䁬丽ᰣ夨匠ɐ䅀䀥′怶枬A兠ΠᜪyⱮᔍ䉰¨犁␎涊恓஛ 㭍㮜⠣䖖普䡠͊圡⍠ᢕ₰塤㜺ଷྤ╇ብ⦈೬ᐠ⭀徳䀢攀ʒ㤍ᱨ᳒䂹㽈呅丂搪禤祂拡᢯䙠ۃ䂧䠡丅ᣊ゙Ⱚ8┠ő憉) for 12i/1i.

Ganan: 12i (14/10m, 3a) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: 1i (50m), -1 Wound Penalty (3), Prone, Clash

Round 8

12i. Ganan uses a Destroy Limb Gambit, rolling 11 dice vs Parry 2 for 7 successes, then 12i vs Difficulty 5 for 5 successes. Ganan falls to 6i.

Mata-Yadh drops to -2i, Ganan rises to 11i. MY’s wound penalty rises to -2.

-2i. MY flurries.

Rise From Prone on 5 dice for 4 successes, passing.

Wither on (16-3-2) 11 dice for 7 successes, hitting (-1i). Ganan uses UMS (14/4m). MY rolls 5 dice for 3 successes (0i/10i).

Ganan: 10i (14/9m, 3a) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: 0i (50m), -2 Wound Penalty (4), Flurry

Round 9

Anima: Ganan wants Mata-Yadh prone so will spend the 2i (8i). 1 success! Boom!

8i. Delay (6i).

0i. Mata-Yadh will focus on the Clash, rolling 14 dice for 3 successes. Ganan will 3m Excellency, Stillness-of-Stone Atemi, Withering, Smash rolling 21 dice for 13 successes.

Ganan rolls (19+10+2-25) 6 dice of damage for 4 successes (13i/0i).

Ganan: 13i (14/9m, 3a) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: 0i (50m, 1L), -2 Wound Penalty (4), Prone, Clash
                          Round 10

Anima: 2 successes

13i. 11 dice vs Parry 0, hitting. 13 dice against Diff 5 succeeding. Ganan falls to 7i.

0i. Flurry. Rise from Prone on 5 dice, succeeding. Withering on 11 dice, getting 10 successes (1i). Ganan defends with UMS (14/3m). 6 dice of damage for 6 successes (5i/1i). Things just got interesting.

Mata-Yadh: 5i (50m, 3L), -2 Wound Penalty (5)
                          Ganan: 1i (14/8m, 3a) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges

Round 11

5i. Mata-Yadh uses Prism-Pyre Immolation (40m, 3WP) to roll 15 dice to grapple. Ganan defends with a Full Excellency (14/2m) for Parry (6+3-1) 8. MY rolls 8 successes… this could be it.

MY rolls, huh, wait… wut? How in the heck does PPI work? Let’s take it the most powerful way. 10 dice to lock in the grapple, for 5 successes. MY falls to 2i.

MY rolls 18 dice, unopposed, for control for 9 successes.

MY MUST use Restrain/Drag. And has 8 rounds of control remaining.

1i. Ganan is Restrained and may not act. He must contend with the Prism-Pyre. He spends 4m (12/0m) to gain 2 bonus successes and reroll 6s on his face tanking of the hazard, rolling 7 dice for a total of 6 successes.

Mata-Yadh: 2i (45m, 3L), -2 Wound Penalty (5), 8 rounds of control
                          Ganan: 1i (12/5m, 3a) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges
                          Round 12

2i. MY MUST use Restrain/Drag. And has 6 rounds of control remaining.

Ignoring the normal penalties for grappling, MY makes a Withering attack on Ganan, rolling (16-2-1) 13 dice. Ganan parries with a full excellency (11/0m) for (6+3-2) 7. MY hits with 11 successes (3i). Ganan defends with UMS (5/0m). MY rolls 6 dice of damage for 2 successes, both negated, but still gets the Crash bonus (8i/0i).

MY spends 1WP (2WP) on God-Monster Revival, rolling 6 dice for 5 successes, healing a shattered limb and 2L, and resetting to 3i.

0i. Ganan is Restrained and may not act. He must contend with the Prism-Pyre. He spends 4m (1/0m) to gain 2 bonus successes and reroll 6s on his face tanking of the hazard, rolling 7 dice for a total of 3 successes.

Mata-Yadh: 3i (50m, 1L), -2 Wound Penalty (4), 6 rounds of control
                          Ganan: 0i (1/5m, 3a) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges

Round 13

3i. MY MUST use Restrain/Drag. And has 4 rounds of control remaining.

Ignoring the normal penalties for grappling, MY makes a Withering attack on Ganan, rolling 13 dice vs Parry 4 for 5 successes (4i). MY rolls 5 damage for 1 success (5i/-1i).

-1i. Ganan spends 4m to contend with the hazard (1/1m) for 6 successes.

Mata-Yadh: 5i (50m, 1L), -2 Wound Penalty (4), 4 rounds of control
                          Ganan: -1i (1/6m, 3a) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges

Round 14

5i. MY MUST use Restrain/Drag. And has 2 rounds of control remaining.

Ignoring the normal penalties for grappling, MY makes a Withering attack on Ganan, rolling 13 dice vs Parry 4 for 8 successes (6i). MY rolls 6 dice for 3 successes (9i/-4i)

-3i. Ganan spends 4m to contend with the hazard, for 6 successes (1/2m).

Mata-Yadh: 9i (50m, 1L), -2 Wound Penalty (4), 2 rounds of control
                          Ganan: -4i (1/7m, 3a) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges

Round 14

9i. MY MUST use Restrain/Drag. And has no more rounds of control remaining, Ganan will escape on his turn.

Ignoring the normal penalties for grappling, MY makes a Withering attack on Ganan, rolling 13 dice vs Parry 4 for 6 successes (10i). MY rolls 5 dice for 2 successes (12i/-6i).

-6i. Ganan spends 4m to against the hazard (1/3m), for 5 successes, negating all damage. Free of the grapple, he attacks with a Withering attack, with a 4m Excellency. MY responds with Foe Snatching Grasp and Prism-Pyre Immolation (35m, 0WP) rolling 15 dice against Ganan’s 18. Ganan wins – 11 successes to 4 (-5i). He rolls 5 dice of damage (rr6s) for 1 damage (-4i/11i).

Mata-Yadh: 11i (50m, 0WP, 1L), -2 Wound Penalty (4)
                          Ganan: -4i (0/5m, 3a) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges

Round 15

11i. Mata-Yadh Decisives rolling 14 dice. Ganan doesn’t want wound penalties and defends with a 4m Excellency for Parry 8 (0/1m). MY rolls 9 successes, hitting, and 11i in damage for a paltry 1 success. Ganan takes 1L and MY resets to 3i.

-4i. Ganan resets to base (3i). He aims.

Mata-Yadh: 3i (50m, 0WP, 1L), -2 Wound Penalty (4)
                          Ganan: 3i (0/5m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges, Aim

Round 16

3i. MY clashes on 14 dice. Ganan uses a 3m Excellency, Withering Smash with Aim bonus for 24 dice. MY gets 9 successes, Ganan gets 14. Ganan rolls 5 dice of damage for 2 successes (8i/1i).

Ganan: 8i (0/7m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: 1i (50m, 0WP, 1L), -2 Wound Penalty (4), Clash, Prone

Round 17

8i. Delay (6i).

1i. MY clashes on 11 dice for 4 successes. Ganan clashes on 21 dice (0/4m) for 5 successes. Ganan rolls 5 dice (rr6s) for 2 successes (11i/1i).

Ganan: 11i (0/9m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: 1i (50m, 0WP, 1L), -2 Wound Penalty (4), Clash, Prone

Round 17

11i. Delay. (9i)

1i. MY won’t win a Clash 11 dice to 21, so will simply rise from prone, denying Ganan the bonus initiative from Clashing.

1i. Ganan will Wither with a 3m Excellency, Force of the Mountain, Smash attack (0/3m). He rolls 19 dice against Parry (6-2-1) 3 for 10 successes. He rolls (19+7+5+2-25) for 8 dice of damage (rr6s) for 4 successes (13i/1i).

Ganan: 13i (0/8m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: 1i (50m, 0WP, 1L), -2 Wound Penalty (4), Prone

Round 18

13i. Ganan will Destroy Limb Gambit, hitting, rolling 13i for 9 successes, dropping to 7i.

MY drops to -2i. Ganan rises to 12i.

-2i. MY will flurry a Rise From Prone with an attack, failing to rise with only 1 success, then failing to hit with only 1 success.

Ganan: 12i (0/13m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: -2i (50m, 0WP, 1L), -2 Wound Penalty (5), Prone, Flurry

Round 19

Anima: 1 success

12i. Ganan Gambits, hitting, confirming, dropping to 7i. MY drops to -5i.

-5i. MY tries again, rising from prone then rolling 10 successes on (16-3-3) 10 dice to hit Ganan (-4i). MY rolls 6 dice of damage for 3i (-2i/4i).

Ganan: 4i (0/18m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: -2i (50m, 0WP, 2L), -3 Wound Penalty (6), Flurry

Round 20

Anima: Whiff.

4i. Ganan uses a 3m Excellency, SoSA, Smash rolling 19 dice for 12 successes, then rolling 6 dice of damage for 5 (8i/-2i).

-2i. MY attacks on 10 dice for 5 successes, missing.

Ganan: 8i (0/18m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: -2i (50m, 0WP, 1L), -3 Wound Penalty (6), Prone

Round 21

Anima: Whiff

8i. Ganan uses a 3m Excellency, SoSA, Smash rolling 19 dice for 13 successes, then rolling 6 dice of damage for 2 (10i/-2i).

-2i. MY flurries a Rise From Prone (0 successes) with an attack (3 successes) failing at both.

Ganan: 10i (0/18m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: -2i (50m, 0WP, 1L), -3 Wound Penalty (6), Prone, Flurry

Round 22

Anima: 1L

10i. Ganan uses a 3m Excellency, Force of the Mountain, Smash (0/12m) rolling 19 dice for 15 successes, then rolling (19+14+2+5-25) 15 dice (rr6s) of damage for 15 (25i/-17i).

-17i. MY resets to Base (3i). MY rises from prone.

Ganan: 25i (0/17m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 2 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: 3i (50m, 0WP, 2L), -3 Wound Penalty (6)

Round 23

25i. Ganan uses Chambered Fist Charge (24i, 0/15m, 4 Charges)

3i. Mata-Yadh Withers for 13 dice, rolling 11 successes, hitting (4i), and 7 dice of damage for 10i (14i/14i).

Ganan: 14i (0/20m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 4 Charges, Aim
                          Mata-Yadh: 14i (50m, 0WP, 2L), -3 Wound Penalty (6)

Round 24

14i. Mata-Yadh withers for 13 dice getting 10 successes. Ganan uses a 3m Excellency, Force of the Mountain, SSA, Smash, Colossal Whirling Strike (0/7m, 4WP) rolling 24 dice for 15 successes. He rolls 12 dice of damage (rr6) for 6+3 (23i/5i), and sends MY flying back two range bands.

Ganan: 22i (0/12m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 4 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: 6i (50m, 0WP, 2L), -3 Wound Penalty (6), Medium range
                          Round 25

22i. Ganan delays. (20i)

6i. MY moves to short range.

5i. Ganan moves to close range and attacks with a Destroy Limb Gambit, hitting, confirming, falling to 14i. MY falls to 3i.

Ganan: 14i (0/17m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 4 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: 3i (50m, 0WP, 2L), -3 Wound Penalty (7)

Round 26

14i. Ganan makes a Destroy Limb Gambit. He rolls 11 dice against Parry 3 for 3 successes, then 14i against Difficulty 5 for 7 successes, falling to 8i.

MY loses 3i (0i). Ganan gains 5i (13i).

0i. Mata-Yadh attacks on (16-4) 12 dice. Ganan defends with a 4m Excellency (Parry 8). MY misses (2 successes).

Ganan: 13i (0/18m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 4 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: 0i (50m, 0WP, 2L), -4 Wound Penalty (8)

Round 27

13i. Ganan makes a Decisive Smashing attack backed by Bone Crushing Blow and a 1m Excellency (0/13m) against Parry 2. Hitting, rolling 13 dice (rr6s) to confirm but only getting 5 successes, inflicting 4B. Ganan resets to 3i. MY takes a -3 Bone Crushing penalty to attack and movement rolls and is knocked prone.

0i. MY attacks with (16-4 Wound-3 Bone Crushing-3 Prone) 6 dice vs Parry 9 (0/7m), getting 1 success, missing.

Ganan: 3i (0/12m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 4 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: 0i (50m, 0WP, 3L4B), -4 Wound Penalty (8), -3 Bone Crushing, Prone

Round 28

Anima: Whiff.

3i. Ganan withers vs Parry 0, with a Smashing 1m Excellency, FotM (0/8m). Hitting, rolling 11 damage (rr6s) for 6i (9i/-6i).

-6i. Mata-Yadh attempts to rise from prone rolling (10-4-3) 3 dice and botching. Let’s say the botch breaks one of their glass limbs (-9i).

Ganan: 9i (0/13m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 4 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: -9i (50m, 0WP, 3L4B), -4 Wound Penalty (9), -3 Bone Crushing, Prone

Round 29

9i. Ganan withers vs Parry 0, with a Smashing 1m Excellency, FotM (0/8m). Hitting, rolling 9i (18i/-9i).

-9. MY tries to rise from prone and fails.

Ganan: 18i (0/14m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 4 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: -9i (50m, 0WP, 4L4B), -4 Wound Penalty (9), -3 Bone Crushing, Prone

Round 30

Anima: 2L

18i. Ganan makes a Destroy Limb Gambit, hitting and destroying the limb (12i/-12i).

-12i. Mata-Yadh resets to base (3i) attempts an attack rolling 6 dice against parry 6, missing.

Ganan: 12i (0/19m, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 4 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: 3i (50m, 0WP, 6L4B), -4 Wound Penalty (10), -3 Bone Crushing, Prone

Round 31

12i. Ganan uses a Full Excellency Earthshaker Attack (0/3m, 3WP, 7i). He rolls 17 dice for 5 successes. Mata-Yadh resists with 3 dice for 3 successes, failing. Ganan inflicts 8B and a Short range fall, which inflicts another 4B. Ganan resets to 3i. MY is knocked to Short Range. Ganan reflexively moves to Close.

3i. MY stands up (2 successes).

Ganan: 3i (0/8m, 3WP, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 4 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: 3i (50m, 0WP, 6L16B), -4 Wound Penalty (10), -3 Bone Crushing

Round 32

3i. MY Clashes with 9 dice for 3 successes. Ganan Clashes with a Withering, Smash, Force of the Mountain, 3m Excellency for 21 dice, rolling 12 successes, 12 dice of damage for 9i (12i/-6i).

Ganan: 12i (0/7m, 3WP, 3a, 1L (-0)) Earth Aura, Earth Dragon Form, 4 Charges
                          Mata-Yadh: -6i (50m, 0WP, 6L16B), -4 Wound Penalty (10), -3 Bone Crushing, Prone

Round 33

Anima: Zero damage.

12i. ONLY ONE! Ganan Decisives against Mata-Yadh’s Parry 1 with a 1m Excellency, rolling 12 dice, hitting and rolling 12i of damage for 7 successes, easily incapacitating the beast with a grand total of 6 Lethal and 23 Bashing, which fills the 26 Health Levels of the Behemoth and rolls round to inflict a final total of 9 Lethal and 17 Bashing.

And yes, I only now realize that Ganan forgot the discount for Pasiap Preempts Haste in Round 1, so should have had 3m more the entire fight. Oh well.

I would be very interested in how this performs with a Lorarli riding it, a Cataphract fighting by its side, and maybe a Silverwright battlegroup against a Circle of Celestials.
                          Last edited by JohnDoe244; 12-07-2020, 09:53 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                            I would be very interested in how this performs with a Lorarli riding it, a Cataphract fighting by its side, and maybe a Silverwright battlegroup against a Circle of Celestials.
                            I was thinking something similar, although I can't run that on my own. Mata-Yadh is an okay centerpiece to a much larger fey force. Why the Lorelei riding it though? Surely a cataphract riding it as well as one beside commanding the BG.

Comment

• Has anyone done fights of Exalts vs. mortal battlegroups? Like how many battle-ready troops would it take to seriously challenge a starting character, or to defeat one of the QC's?

Comment

• Originally posted by habitableexoplanet View Post
                                Has anyone done fights of Exalts vs. mortal battlegroups? Like how many battle-ready troops would it take to seriously challenge a starting character, or to defeat one of the QC's?
                                One built like a PC? Even size 5 wouldn't be enough to threaten them really. Maybe if they had multiple highly skilled commanders that couldn't be dealt with quickly you could do something with a lucky engage action. They'd be able to threaten QC characters pretty good though.

You might be able to get away with one commander if the PC didn't have a full tank, but it depends, if they have enough left to get rid of that commander right off the hop still no.

In all cases, if it's a Dawn we're talking about, there is zero chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X