Sapient Animals in 3e

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sapient Animals in 3e

So, one of my favorite aspects of Exalted was the existence of ata-beasts in the Republic of Halta. I had them spread throughout the Eastern Threshold through immigration and, through slave raids, throughout the rest of Creation. While they could not be Exalted in my games, a number of them were God-Blooded, supernatural martial artists, sorcerers, thaumaturgists, and/or necromancers.

I was wondering if anyone had used sapient animals in 3e and, if so, how did you use them? I am thinking about introducing several organizations based around sapient animals in my games, including a few schools of sorcery, since thaumaturgy is radically different in 3e. Imagine a school of ata-horse sorcery devoted to protecting herds of ata-horses from enslavement by humans as they make their annual migration through the Eastern Threshold.
    Last edited by The Fool of Creation; 04-17-2019, 12:13 PM.

Not really.
    But one of the PCs in the game I run has a talking bear mentor. He may be a god. He may be a god-blood. He may just be a talking bear. It's unclear.

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Last dynast PC i played, back in 2e, had Marada a giant sapient talking god-blooded spider as familiar and BFF (outside of swornmates that is).

In fact it was a whole "variant super breed" of Essence Spiders developed by his cadet family in the threshold through centuries of self-imposed exile and guerilla warfare with the Scavenger Lands nations. Fun stuff came out of it but i think Marada wouldn't be quite kosher anymore as Familiar 5 ain't a thing in 3e. Have to see how would i update it or not one of those days.

Comment

Not in 3E, but in my 2.5E game I've had ...

A small hidden nation of ata-strix in the mountains south of Gethamane, based around a manse called the Seat of Owls. They were bred in the First Age to form the entourage of an eccentric Lunar, and many of them were capable of thaumaturgy, or even sorcery. They had a city in the massive tree-manse with industries and infrastructure and an appreciable cache of artifacts, many designed for their use. Then some Abyssals happened, the city was destroyed, their civilisation all but wiped out, and most of them were reanimated as bone strix. The PCs found the last survivor in a torture device, and he urged them to search the nearby lake for his people's "greatest treasure" which proved to be a hidden submersible structure full of strix owlets. The PCs arranged for help in rebuilding and caring for the little ones, and years later the civilisation is slowly recovering.

Misc ata-beasts in Halta, which is a place that the party visits fairly frequently because one of the PCs has an important connection to it.

Okay so, the foxes aren't all my fault. See I introduced a god-blooded daughter of the Fox Queen who has ambitions of achieving godhood herself, that one's on me. And then a new player decided that since Fox was his character's name, he'd have a fox familiar to be cute, which I was happy to run with since it was kinda funny and I had no idea what was coming. That familiar is a small god now so I suppose I have to add him to the list. That one is my fault.

Anyway, the godblood. So one of the PCs is dating her, and wants to help her quest for ascension. He hits upon the idea of getting her (and her divine mother, who he needs to impress) more worshippers by creating intelligent foxes. And he can do that because by that point the party has found an ancient genesis lab which is part of a sentient manse who knows how to genetically engineer animals. So when I announced a 5 year timeskip ...

There was nothing I could do, I'd already given him everything he needed, I just had no idea where it would lead. I was a fool. There's now an underground base in Whitewall full of technologically advanced ata-foxes who operate an intelligence service and secretly work towards the apotheosis of the girl who runs the local occult supply store, and what even is this game how did all these foxes get in here.

They're expanding into other cities soon.

Part of me feels like I should put a stop to this madness, but they're so damn cute and I don't have a good enough reason to curb the player's fun. Oh and one of the party's close friends is a jackal Lunar so that's basically a fox, but he was here from the beginning. I couldn't have known. So yeah. My campaign is carpeted with wall to wall talking foxes and it isn't all my fault.

"Measure of Hope is right about everything." - Wise Old Guru

Currently running an Exalted 2.5 Abyssals game in a homebrew modern shard because I value neither my time or my sanity, and I'm loving almost every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
          Last dynast PC i played, back in 2e, had Marada a giant sapient talking god-blooded spider as familiar and BFF (outside of swornmates that is).

In fact it was a whole "variant super breed" of Essence Spiders developed by his cadet family in the threshold through centuries of self-imposed exile and guerilla warfare with the Scavenger Lands nations. Fun stuff came out of it but i think Marada wouldn't be quite kosher anymore as Familiar 5 ain't a thing in 3e. Have to see how would i update it or not one of those days.
          I think it'd be fine as a Familiar 3. I doubt it's more powerful than a Tyrant Lizard.

My characters:
          Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

I think it'd be fine as a Familiar 3. I doubt it's more powerful than a Tyrant Lizard.
            Without counting charms and other tricks, it would be on about the tier of a Strix, so yeah, Familiar 3 should work alright.

Comment

How would you classify an ata-beast sorcerer? Is that an Ally? Would you want to use ata-beast sorcerers as NPCs in your 3e games?

Comment

Yeah, an Ally.

I don't think I'd have an ata-beast sorcerer, because sorcerers are extremely rare. But then, you do want sorcerers to be exotic and strange, and saying "this sorcerer is a talking pig" is definitely one way to do that!

My characters:

Comment

Lunars have charms that let them make animals intelligent and train them in Sorcery.

Comment

And those effects seem to be permanent, so if that lunar dies you potentially have an intelligent, sorcerously trained animal running around.

Kinda makes me wonder if ata beasts might be the descendants of lunar familiars...

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                      And those effects seem to be permanent, so if that lunar dies you potentially have an intelligent, sorcerously trained animal running around.

Kinda makes me wonder if ata beasts might be the descendants of lunar familiars...

Could be that or the mix-up of countless beasts, mundane, god-blooded &/or sorcerously enhanced through the ages.

Comment

Don't forget the talking lions of Origin.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                        X