Written Social Influence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Written Social Influence

How well can a starting Solar do with written social influence? I have an idea for a zenith caste rebel who uses graffiti and leaflets or posters for social influence instead of big speeches. Is that an effective approach? How well does the system support that?

The main weakness of written social influence is that you need to consider your targets because a lot of people in Creation aren't literate.

For example, if I was trying to inspire a satrapy into open rebellion against the Realm. I wouldn't have my leaflets and posters target the population to try and rile them up so much as try and convince the Dynasts that their mere existence is proof that things are already coming to the boil and allow them to undermine themselves.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

What about art? Crafting that perfect symbol for your rebellion that inspires people behind it?

Comment

A good workaround for the question of illiteracy is effects that force a reader to read the text aloud. I don't see anything regarding if a social influence attempt can be made this way to the audience, or if so, whether the roll is based on the traits of the writer or the unwitting speaker... but I personally would at least rule that social influence can be dispersed in this way.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

Originally posted by werlynn View Post
          What about art? Crafting that perfect symbol for your rebellion that inspires people behind it?
          Well... If it conveys information --like maps, diagrams, and accompanying illustrations-- then it is covered by Linguistics. Other art would be Craft, which doesn't have social influence charms. So I suppose that the key would be getting the word out about what the symbol means.

Comment

For getting other people to read it I feel like that would be more like actually using social influence on people just to get them on board with your cause and building a strong enough intimacy that they are also choosing to go out and preach your cause. At that point your abilities have nothing to do with it.

Sounds like it won't work. Thanks for your input.

Comment

As much as we would like linguistics to apply to art as far as I'm always the official position of Exalted on art is that it falls under craft not linguistics. Maybe the new devs changed that stance.

Comment

Thats not as much of a big deal. I'd planned to combine both, but I liked the idea of using linguistics charms to produce a stack of posters and having my followers post them around the city. Or sneaking around the city with a bucket of paint and using linguistics charms to quickly write out a slogan, tagging buildings. I figured in a city literacy might be more common.

Comment

You'll want to lean heavy into Linguistics then. Not Socialize.

Comment

Working...
                  X