Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you play Ex3?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Synapse View Post
    It's my experience that it is easier to play than it appears. I barely had to filter more than chargen to get quick adventures running for absolute newbies.
    This. A lot of the systems look a pretty daunting on paper. But really, after a bit of practice, I've found that it clicks a lot of the time with players.

    That's why I recommend running the game RAW with few, if any, house rules before you dive in. I mean... Things like if you're gonna change XP to flat costs rather than exponential, yeah you can probably do that from the start, but give the combat systems a try before you throw it out. Maybe poke at Craft before deciding what you want to prune. (Except Project Slots, I haven't ever seen something to justify them. How many projects do most Crafters have going on at a time?)

    Just... The game LOOKS more complex and intimidating when you're just reading it than it actually plays out, in my experience.
    And that, kids, is why White Room Theorycrafting is Near-Useless for discussing mechanics.
    Last edited by Kyman201; 05-16-2019, 03:54 PM.


    Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

    Comment


    • #92
      I'm in 3 Solar games at the moment, with all 3 groups running sessions roughly once every 2 weeks.

      The 1st game has been going on for about 2 years and our Circle has just reached Essence 3 after splatting Alhat.

      The other 2 games are a few months old and I'm the ST in them. They're my first experience as ST and I'm having a blast.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        I'm curious, how many people are actually playing this latest edition?

        I'm currently just reading the books, and sometimes I come here to the forums to see if there's been any exciting news.

        How about you, or the players near you? Would you say Ex3 is popular as a gaming option? Or is it more like a setting that people like to read but can't actually get the time, the friends, or whatever to play it?
        \

        The following is all my opinion:

        I'm currently STing a game in a PBP fashion for a group of six on GITP, and I had to drop a couple of other applicants (sadly). So there are definitely players out there.

        The biggest issue in my experience is that it is very hard to find anyone willing to ST the game. (I don't say this as a boast, I speak from personal experience; I HAAATE GMing and am really bad at it but after a year and a half to two years of games never making it past character creation I decided to just bite the bullet and try it) It's got a fun, unique setting that is absolutely worth playing a game or two.

        A second issue that is also pretty massive is that it's a hard game to get into. The corebook is difficult to navigate and very poorly formatted, with information important to the game scattered and hard to find. One example that came up during my game is the issue of decisive damage: Decisive damage does not deal double 10s. You'd think this would be under Decisive damage, but no; it's under *withering* damage. And it's shown in reverse. "Unlike decisive attacks, the Double 10s rule does apply to withering damage rolls." Also I'm not really sure where it says that double 10s are a thing to begin with; I'm sure it does I'm just not sure where. Now, this is obviously something that will be remedied with time, as we get used to the system and learn its various ins and outs. But if I don't devote time to the game because the corebook is initially confusing, I'll never hit that point. And it's difficult to do a good long game of Exalted without delving into multiple Exalt types; which the corebook does not have.

        However, Exalted's setting is very entertaining, imaginative (or more to the point, imagination stirring) and unique, and it's a refreshing departure from D&D and its various iterations (which, like it or not, are currently the most popular TTRPGs). And once you actually get the game running and know what you're doing, it's very fun and engaging. Just enough is established for the world to feel real, but enough is left mysterious and undefined that your own personal Creation can have a very unique feel compared to anyone else's. This is pretty ubiquitous across good TTRPGs, but Exalted has a more cinematic anime/wuxia feel to it that you don't really get anywhere else. Your characters are also exceedingly strong from the get-go and can get even stronger over time, but you can never let your guard down entirely. And hey, if you're bored with one character type (Solars) you can move to another (Lunar, DB, etc) and enjoy what they have to offer. Each provides characters that "feel" different, even if you do the same basic concept; a Solar Swordswoman is going to feel very different from a Lunar Swordsman.

        So in short: the game is hard to get into, but once you do, there's a ton of fun to be had.


        My wordpress
        Let's Play Warcraft 3 (Updates Thursdays)

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
          This. A lot of the systems look a pretty daunting on paper. But really, after a bit of practice, I've found that it clicks a lot of the time with players.

          That's why I recommend running the game RAW with few, if any, house rules before you dive in. I mean... Things like if you're gonna change XP to flat costs rather than exponential, yeah you can probably do that from the start, but give the combat systems a try before you throw it out. Maybe poke at Craft before deciding what you want to prune. (Except Project Slots, I haven't ever seen something to justify them. How many projects do most Crafters have going on at a time?)

          Just... The game LOOKS more complex and intimidating when you're just reading it than it actually plays out, in my experience.
          And that, kids, is why White Room Theorycrafting is Near-Useless for discussing mechanics.
          We did three or four playtest sessions with the raw core. Two or three players plus me.

          We had a bit of a hitch coming from a tactical + squares + ranges + initiative is just time perspective into the cinematic + range as camera + initiative is also being on a roll perspective. But I adored it right out of the gate and my players started getting into it.

          The reason I did the Momentum rewrite though is that we kept coming out of the game in order to do iterations of arithmetic , sort , choose ; and then to remember which actions had a +1 cost or a double 10 or not or whatever. We got the number of items to remember back down under average human memory limitations, and found ourselves very rarely leaving the game to do math and lookup anymore.

          I'm not at all saying this to complain. Rather, to say that I found the raw core rules to be a very high pinnacle of new ideas, from which I could see a brand new place I wanted my games to go.

          We're having a great time, which reminds me that I was going to go post a story over in my other thread!


          Check out Momentum Exalted!

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
            This. A lot of the systems look a pretty daunting on paper. But really, after a bit of practice, I've found that it clicks a lot of the time with players.

            That's why I recommend running the game RAW with few, if any, house rules before you dive in. I mean... Things like if you're gonna change XP to flat costs rather than exponential, yeah you can probably do that from the start, but give the combat systems a try before you throw it out. Maybe poke at Craft before deciding what you want to prune. (Except Project Slots, I haven't ever seen something to justify them. How many projects do most Crafters have going on at a time?)

            Just... The game LOOKS more complex and intimidating when you're just reading it than it actually plays out, in my experience.
            And that, kids, is why White Room Theorycrafting is Near-Useless for discussing mechanics.
            I'm gonna second (third?) this. All the systems jive with each other far better than prior editions. Even with having to walk new players through things like combat things take less time overall. Everything speeds up even further with people who've become more comfortable with it. Scary text, intuitive in practice.


            Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by HalfTangible View Post
              \


              I'm currently STing a game in a PBP fashion for a group of six on GITP
              Hey neat! My group is also on GitP! Mind dropping a link? I’d like to see what ya’ll are doing differently from us.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Sticks View Post

                Hey neat! My group is also on GitP! Mind dropping a link? I’d like to see what ya’ll are doing differently from us.
                The IC thread here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...d-God-Kings-IC

                The OOC thread here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-God-Kings-OOC

                We're also using a Discord server to coordinate a bit.


                My wordpress
                Let's Play Warcraft 3 (Updates Thursdays)

                Comment


                • #98
                  I've been running a 2.5E game for almost a year - and I'm hesitant about shifting to 3E until I see how Alchemicals are handled in it


                  Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                    It's my experience that it is easier to play than it appears. I barely had to filter more than chargen to get quick adventures running for absolute newbies.
                    That's been my experience too. Amusingly one of my newbies pointed to motes as one of the most overly complicated parts of the system, she plays a crafter.


                    Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                      This. A lot of the systems look a pretty daunting on paper. But really, after a bit of practice, I've found that it clicks a lot of the time with players.

                      That's why I recommend running the game RAW with few, if any, house rules before you dive in. I mean... Things like if you're gonna change XP to flat costs rather than exponential, yeah you can probably do that from the start, but give the combat systems a try before you throw it out. Maybe poke at Craft before deciding what you want to prune. (Except Project Slots, I haven't ever seen something to justify them. How many projects do most Crafters have going on at a time?)

                      Just... The game LOOKS more complex and intimidating when you're just reading it than it actually plays out, in my experience.
                      And that, kids, is why White Room Theorycrafting is Near-Useless for discussing mechanics.
                      Agreed. My opinion is that the game system is quite well designed, apart from the awfully clunky Craft system of course. I don't think many people love that one (not because it is difficult, it is very easy to understand, just super clunky and downright stupid). Personally I have some issues with how creating your own evocations is explained as well, but maybe that is just me. Anyway, maybe the evocation part isn't fantastic (I find myself just using existing artifacts, but maybe it is just me being bad at mechanics), but again, that could be me.
                      But yes, it is a fantastic game with an even more fantastic setting !

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Magnus K View Post

                        Agreed. My opinion is that the game system is quite well designed, apart from the awfully clunky Craft system of course. I don't think many people love that one (not because it is difficult, it is very easy to understand, just super clunky and downright stupid). Personally I have some issues with how creating your own evocations is explained as well, but maybe that is just me. Anyway, maybe the evocation part isn't fantastic (I find myself just using existing artifacts, but maybe it is just me being bad at mechanics), but again, that could be me.
                        But yes, it is a fantastic game with an even more fantastic setting !
                        Oh yeah no, the book is NOT very homebrew-friendly. That's why I'm waiting for the Exigent book.

                        "Hey, you can make your own Charms for Splats, or for Evocations, or your own Martial Art Styles! Go nuts!"

                        "Great! Any advice on how to do that?"

                        "Psh, no. What you expect a core book to tell you how to do the things it recommends?"


                        Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                          Oh yeah no, the book is NOT very homebrew-friendly. That's why I'm waiting for the Exigent book.

                          "Hey, you can make your own Charms for Splats, or for Evocations, or your own Martial Art Styles! Go nuts!"

                          "Great! Any advice on how to do that?"

                          "Psh, no. What you expect a core book to tell you how to do the things it recommends?"
                          Lol, yes, that is exactly how I feel concerning evocations

                          Comment


                          • Yeah, I found all of that pretty useless and frustrating. Especially where being able to add Evocations was the signature of a spell.


                            My characters:
                            Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                            Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X