Looking for advice on 3E sidereal home-brew splat selection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice on 3E sidereal home-brew splat selection

So, I don't want to wait a year and three quarters to shift my mixed-circle campaign to 3E, but I also don't want to deprive my players of the option of playing sidereal exalted. So I'm looking into home-brew 3E sidereal splats. I've found three: Wastevens' Where Fate Has Lead, ZX_XZ's Down Came a Spider and a nameless one by Grifftofer, but I don't know which one to go with - Grifftofer clearly considers each to have advantages and disadvantages, but I haven't even figured out what the major differences between them are. Does anyone have advice on choosing one? Or any comparisons to make between them that might be helpful in choosing one?
    Last edited by rj.au; 04-19-2019, 07:12 AM.

I've ST'ed games with the first two, and have never heard/seen of the last (by Grifftofer). I can honestly recommend them both. I'm not sure I could clearly espouse the differences at this moment, but they each have a different feel to them once you get going. Maybe this is just because the last Siddie game I ran was with Z's homebrew, but I did really like his Paradox system. I even created a pdf specifically for it. For you though, I honestly don't think it will matter all that much if you are running mixed splat. I'd let the player look through the splats, and tell you which they like best, then go with it.

Comment

I would recommend Down Came A Spider.

Comment

I mean, I'm biased

I would argue that Down Came the Spider takes a friendlier approach to Sidereal charms; one that, while still a bit sideways, leans more on the Ability than the associated Constellation. Where Fate Has Led, conversely, leans much more heavily on the Constellations.

DCtS's take on Paradox is much more situation-generating, whereas WFHL is more conflict of personal morality-vs-duty.

DCtS's take on Sidereal Martial Arts leans more heavily on the 'SMA are Essence 3+ Martial Arts', whereas WFHL treats them as a distinct category of thing, much more limited but pushed for their individual relative ease of access.

Both are good, both have seen successful play. But I hope you'll use WFHL's Yu-Shan at the very least

My Storyteller Vault releases!
        Sorcerous Ways: Mystic Martial Arts - Punch people for magic power!
        These Mean Streets - Advise and systems for street-level punk-noir Vampire larp

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I expect it will be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by wastevens View Post
            I mean, I'm biased

I would argue that Down Came the Spider takes a friendlier approach to Sidereal charms; one that, while still a bit sideways, leans more on the Ability than the associated Constellation. Where Fate Has Led, conversely, leans much more heavily on the Constellations.

DCtS's take on Paradox is much more situation-generating, whereas WFHL is more conflict of personal morality-vs-duty.

DCtS's take on Sidereal Martial Arts leans more heavily on the 'SMA are Essence 3+ Martial Arts', whereas WFHL treats them as a distinct category of thing, much more limited but pushed for their individual relative ease of access.

Both are good, both have seen successful play. But I hope you'll use WFHL's Yu-Shan at the very least
            I am trying very hard to download your (350 page!) work to my phone but drive is not playing nice. If you can would it be forward to ask for a pdf draft upload somewhere? I am very much wanting to look this over again now I have finally run ex3 enough to understand the mechanics.

Comment

As you wish

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pl...bToo7qHjuiw5a6

(As a note, this is just a straight download to pdf, so the formatting is a little wonky in places)

My Storyteller Vault releases!
              Sorcerous Ways: Mystic Martial Arts - Punch people for magic power!
              These Mean Streets - Advise and systems for street-level punk-noir Vampire larp

Comment

Originally posted by wastevens View Post
                As you wish

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pl...bToo7qHjuiw5a6

(As a note, this is just a straight download to pdf, so the formatting is a little wonky in places)
                Thank you! I was trying to read when rain was slowing work down and my phone just did not want to cooperate

Comment

Working...
                X