Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Aura mechanic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

    Unfortunately, that's not possible. Motes must be spent from entirely one pool or the other, unless they empty one of the pools. So doing the double dip is only possible if you're riding the line and emptying personal every time.

    Not flaring isn't generally so hard though. Dragonblooded can only spend 4m on an excellency unless they have 5 in the ability and an applicable specialty, which isn't really all the time. Also you regen 5 motes a round, so if you start spending out of your personal you're only getting closer to your peripheral by (motes spent -5).

    Double also, you only jump up 2 levels at once when you spend 10+ peripheral motes, so you can spend 9 two actions in a row and not go bonfire.


    On the other hand, it is restrictive. If you pick aura charms that have an aura outside your aspect, there will be times when you will want to spend more motes than that, but can't. I wouldn't necessarily suggest going full hog because of that. Like if you're a fire aspect who wants to brawl, take things like Hammering Wave and Oaken Thew Exertion. You can then combine them for a +10 to damage, or enter Water Aura if you want for the benefit of keeping onslaught penalties up. For your signature consider taking Erupting Fury Barrage instead of Embracing the Violent Flow, though. Basically if you're an Air Aspect, why are none of your offensive or defensive charms Air?

    The other thing is that Dragonblooded have really kickass anima powers, and anima flux. An Essence 2 Wood Aspect with 5 Stamina exposes all with a 7 round duration, 2i/round poison, which is more difficult to resist than Arrow Frog Venom.

    But then again your anima destroys the environment, so if you're somewhere you don't want trashed by a firestorm for fifteen minutes. So there's other strong benefits to keeping it in check as well.


    Bit of a correction, you CAN spend motes from different pools as long as they are separate things. For example, you can use a 4m Melee Excellency from Peripheral motes while also using Burning Fury Wreath from Personal, but you can't use Burning Fury Wreath by paying some Personal motes and some Peripheral motes unless doing so empties one of the pools and you still have motes to carry over. Also, DBs can only spend 4m on an excellency unless they have 5 in the Ability OR 4 and a specialty OR both. Their Excellencies go up to 6m with Ability 5 + Specialty. Between offensive and defensive Charms or even just Excellencies, the 5m regen barely matters since you're spending so much more than that. You can spend 9 motes in a single action and you go from Dim to Burning, then just spending 5m more makes you go Bonfire, the amount keeps being 5m to go a step up.

    Anima flux doesn't matter in most fights where it should, because it turns off when 1) Your opponent is another Dragon-Blood, or 2) Your opponent has Hardness. In most actually important fights, one of the two will be true, be it because they're tough animals, DB rivals, Exalts or spirits with Artifact Armor, or the same Exalts or Spirits with Hardness-granting Charms. And yet it still destroys the environment, hurts your mount and mortal allies, and is in general more of a nuisance than a help most of the time.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Alistair View Post
      Bit of a correction, you CAN spend motes from different pools as long as they are separate things. For example, you can use a 4m Melee Excellency from Peripheral motes while also using Burning Fury Wreath from Personal, but you can't use Burning Fury Wreath by paying some Personal motes and some Peripheral motes unless doing so empties one of the pools and you still have motes to carry over.
      Wait, what? Is that true? Like in one single attack, you can pay for 2 different charms out of 2 different pools?

      Originally posted by Alistair View Post
      Also, DBs can only spend 4m on an excellency unless they have 5 in the Ability OR 4 and a specialty OR both. Their Excellencies go up to 6m with Ability 5 + Specialty. Between offensive and defensive Charms or even just Excellencies, the 5m regen barely matters since you're spending so much more than that. You can spend 9 motes in a single action and you go from Dim to Burning, then just spending 5m more makes you go Bonfire, the amount keeps being 5m to go a step up.
      Ah right, thanks for that, for some reason I was stuck thinking about the charms that add successes instead of dice. That's true you just need Ability 5 to make that cap.

      Originally posted by Alistair View Post
      Anima flux doesn't matter in most fights where it should, because it turns off when 1) Your opponent is another Dragon-Blood, or 2) Your opponent has Hardness. In most actually important fights, one of the two will be true, be it because they're tough animals, DB rivals, Exalts or spirits with Artifact Armor, or the same Exalts or Spirits with Hardness-granting Charms. And yet it still destroys the environment, hurts your mount and mortal allies, and is in general more of a nuisance than a help most of the time.
      This though I debate. A crashed opponent has Hardness set to 0, also a crashed opponent is taking lethal instead of withering damage. If you manage to crash a non-dragonblooded exalt or powerful spirit they'll then be vulnerable to your anima, and taking health level damage to boot.

      You are absolutely right about mortal allies and mounts getting in the way though. I'm not even 100% sure how the mounts thing interacts, I guess just as a trivial foe, so they're always just taking straight lethal. I guess getting a bear or claw strider or something as a mount is just a lot more appealing before Essence 3. Perhaps there will be an artifact or something in the Realm book like there was in 2e.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
        Wait, what? Is that true? Like in one single attack, you can pay for 2 different charms out of 2 different pools?


        Ah right, thanks for that, for some reason I was stuck thinking about the charms that add successes instead of dice. That's true you just need Ability 5 to make that cap.


        This though I debate. A crashed opponent has Hardness set to 0, also a crashed opponent is taking lethal instead of withering damage. If you manage to crash a non-dragonblooded exalt or powerful spirit they'll then be vulnerable to your anima, and taking health level damage to boot.

        You are absolutely right about mortal allies and mounts getting in the way though. I'm not even 100% sure how the mounts thing interacts, I guess just as a trivial foe, so they're always just taking straight lethal. I guess getting a bear or claw strider or something as a mount is just a lot more appealing before Essence 3. Perhaps there will be an artifact or something in the Realm book like there was in 2e.

        Yes, this is true. As long as they are different, you can split the costs.

        No problem

        Mounts get damaged by it narratively if they're not important combatants; expect them to get very hurt or even die if a DB spends too much time riding them while at Bonfire. Artifact Barding is already a thing that exists in Arms of the Chosen.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Alistair View Post
          Yes, this is true. As long as they are different, you can split the costs.
          My mind is blown.
          Originally posted by Alistair View Post
          Mounts get damaged by it narratively if they're not important combatants; expect them to get very hurt or even die if a DB spends too much time riding them while at Bonfire. Artifact Barding is already a thing that exists in Arms of the Chosen.
          I'm also looking at just regular barding and it suggests that it subtract raw decisive damage from incoming decisive attacks. Could regular barding protect from anima flux? Is there a ruling on this?

          Comment


          • I didn't even know that but I assume regular one doesn't cut it. It would be INSULTING if an enemy's mount could just ignore a burning demigod's fiery wreath because it got tailored with leather barding lol

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Alistair View Post
              I didn't even know that but I assume regular one doesn't cut it. It would be INSULTING if an enemy's mount could just ignore a burning demigod's fiery wreath because it got tailored with leather barding lol
              It's actually more than you think, heavy barding subtracts a straight 6 from the raw damage. That's massive.

              Comment


              • Like I said. Would be downright insulting, regardless of how much normal damage it negates. I'd rule it out of my games. Artifact or bust.

                Edit: That said, I also rule out the "DB opponents aren't affected by it", make it not work on your own mount, and in general try to make it actually fun.

                Comment


                • The ruling from devs on the thread is that if the mount isn't important enough to roll into Initaitive, it's not important enough to track its wounds every turn via anima, I think.


                  And stuff.
                  My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

                  Comment


                  • The ruling is to not track it every turn BUT to track the damage narratively outside combat and even kill it if it's exposed for too long, which I ignore for the PC's own mount's sake.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Alistair View Post
                      Like I said. Would be downright insulting, regardless of how much normal damage it negates. I'd rule it out of my games. Artifact or bust.

                      Edit: That said, I also rule out the "DB opponents aren't affected by it", make it not work on your own mount, and in general try to make it actually fun.
                      I'm just surprised more people aren't using barding, I've never heard anyone speak of it before. It's a great way to keep them alive in battle.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

                        I'm just surprised more people aren't using barding, I've never heard anyone speak of it before. It's a great way to keep them alive in battle.

                        People forget it's a thing, the same way they forget about, say, the insanity that Impaling Attacks are.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X