No announcement yet.

Avoiding sleep via a Charm or Artifact?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoiding sleep via a Charm or Artifact?

I have a player who wants his Solar to avoid all sleep via charm or artifact. In particular, he is curious to mimic the effects from the sleepless comic. Lore wise in the comic, there is a penalty where the knight's mind begins to "drift" and they lose track of time by reliving old memories. Eventually they fall asleep until they die. This works for me as some kind of sorcerous effect on a mortal, on an exalt however, might not be quite so severe.

I'm thinking this might the realm of a 2 dot, maybe 3 dot artifact... Maybe even a sorcerous working.

3E doesn't have rules that cover this, but 2E does, so we agreed to use those if needed (pg 129 2E core).

For every day that a character goes without sleep beyond the first, she is at a cumulative one-die internal penalty to all pools. This penalty cannot exceed three dice. Furthermore, players of characters suffering any penalties from sleep deprivation must roll (Stamina + Resistance) at standard difficulty whenever their characters are left alone without anything to do. Failure indicates the character falls asleep for eight hours or until awoken. Once a character sleeps eight hours, all penalties from sleep deprivation fade.
    There's a 1E charm from the Zenith Caste book called "Unsleeping Watchman Technique" (back when Resistance was split into Resistance and Endurance.) Does this convert well over to 3E charm design?

I'm thinking at the very least it should have a commitment cost instead of a temporary note cost, given how fast Exalts in 3E regenerate essence.

"Unsleeping Watchman Technique"
    Cost: 5m
    Duration: One Night
    Type: Simple
    Endurance 2
    Essence 2

The use of this charm replaces the need for a night's sleep, allowing the Exalt to act without penalty for day and night. There is no penalty for the number of concurrent days on which the charm may be used. However, each night that UWT is used is a night without dreaming. After a number of consecutive days equal to Stamina+Endurance, the Exalted will begin to experience waking dreams, seeing and hearing weird, seemingly disconnected objects and sounds. Mechanically, this means a 1 die penalty on all checks. This penalty increase by one die for each additional period of (Stamina+Endurance) consecutive days.
    Any thoughts the above or how to model & penalize a character who never sleeps are very welcome.

Cool idea! I would consider modeling the effect as a derangement, describes on p168 of the core book.

Essentially they are Intimacies that progress through minor/major/defining and can be detected and used just as any other intimacy. Typically they enforce certain behaviours under certain conditions unless the player pays 1/3/5 willpower to resist.

Personally I would also allow Integrity charms to assist in resisting such compulsions.

Comment

There are meditation charms in Integrity that allows an Exalt to meditate for a handful of seconds rather then fall asleep, in 3E at least. Energy Restoration Prana makes it take an hour at Essence 2, then Clear Mind Discipline makes it only take a handful of seconds instead, still at Essence 2. You can also skip Mind-Cleansing Prana thanks to both Energy Restoration Prana and Clear Mind Discipline being Bridge charms to Martial Arts.

Comment

Originally posted by Flare View Post
        There are meditation charms in Integrity that allows an Exalt to meditate for a handful of seconds rather then fall asleep, in 3E at least. Energy Restoration Prana makes it take an hour at Essence 2, then Clear Mind Discipline makes it only take a handful of seconds instead, still at Essence 2. You can also skip Mind-Cleansing Prana thanks to both Energy Restoration Prana and Clear Mind Discipline being Bridge charms to Martial Arts.
        Excellent, it's good to know there's a charm in here that pretty much does the same thing. It doesn't have quite the thematic ring that my player wants, so I might convert it to a standalone charm, or add it to the resistance tree with Body Mending Meditation and/or something else as prerequisite.

Comment

I like the idea of it being the result of an artifact a little better. I think it could easily fit in with the Evocations of Nightmare Shard, for instance.

Comment

Malfeas and Adorjan Charms, Baby!

Comment

Working...
            X