No announcement yet.

Original Lunar Castes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's probably also worth thinking about the fact that a big part of the Castes probably wasn't just having different favoured attributes, but the three anima powers.

For example, the guardians might have had similar Caste attributes to Full Moons (maybe not identical, but maybe not massively different), but anima powers much more based about defending people and territories.
    (Though saying that, the charms for defending territory are in Charisma, Perception and Wits anyway.)

Admittedly, the No Moon powers seem very appropriate for a "Mystic". But I could see, for example, the power for finding mystical sites of power being a post-Usurpation development, while First Age mystics might have had something about channeling mystical sites; obviously finding mystical sites is very difficult post-Usurpation, but was a lot less difficult pre-Usurpation.

My characters:
    Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
    Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
      a lot less difficult pre-Usurpation.
      What are you basing that on?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Which moon would be appropriate for the Consort Caste?

Comment

Originally posted by Beast of Bitter Oblivion View Post
          Which moon would be appropriate for the Consort Caste?
          Hmmm...

Going by my own description and conception, I want to say... crescent. I think it lends itself to the image of especially memorable and iconic appearance and inviting mystery; mostly withheld, but with just a sliver exposed to draw the eye and expose the imagination.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Honestly I do kind of like the idea that since their Castes they eventaully formed were tied to the Solars in some way, that they reflect more the moon's position in the sky than its phases, or the way in which the moon moves or changes its shape. And that when they abandoned their Castes, they went with the moon's phases from there out.

My head-canon right now is the default state of Lunars was always Casteless, but that there was a way to lock-in a Caste developed in the First Age after the war with the Solars. The Casteless even have always had the three current anima they have now,a nd that maybe their powers were something that the First Age Lunars drew on to build the enw Castes, with the tools/powers the five old ones having just not being as useful for the new world as the ones that Casteless have. This would also emphasize that while they were stills avage int eh First Age, some of their more directly hostile/insurgent qualities might have been lost in the Five Castes.

So for how I'd go with them, kind of aligning them with their Solar counterpart but not quite, I'd go soemthing like this:

Guardians - Rising Moon: Protectors, enforcers, hunters (Strength, Dexterity, Perception). The moon rises against the darkness and these Chosen in a simlar fashion fight back the darkness to restore order to the world.

Guides - Waxing Moon : Exemplars, advisors, teachers (Appearance, Chairsma, Intelligence). As the moon's mlight illuminates the darkness, this Caste seeks to lead those who are lost int he dark. In the Old Realm they were inspiring advisors, insightful teachers and philosophers, or grand motivators.

World-Walkers - Setting Moon: Explorers, messengers, storytellers (Stamina, Charisma, Wits) As the mooon sets and the morning comes, many secrets are learned along its journey and a new world is revealed in the new day's light, just as the Chosen of this Caste bring the world out of the darkness. In the Old Realm not only explored the world, but also sought to share what they learned of it to others.

Judges - Waning Moon: Investigators, spies, executioners. (Dexterity, Manipulation, Perception). The moon may not be lit in the sky but it is still there, it may be out during the day but you amy not see it, and while hidden it can seek-out the enemies of the world and bring them justice in the darkness. In the Old Realm they were often the dread predators in shadows, the judges int eh dark.

Mystics - Hidden Moon: Occultists, mediums, magi (Stamina, Intelligence, Wits): During the moonless nights of Calibration the realms of Creation, the Underworld, the Demon City, Yu-Shan come closer, and the Wyld seeps into the gaps of the universe a bit higher. Members of this Caste seek outs uch connections, bringing together the members of different worlds and learning theirs secrets. In the Old Realm they often extracted knowledge of the mystic, the divien, and the forbidden.

Kind of notable too is that there's room for each of these to be with soem of the other Castes. Mystics with Twilights or Eclipses, Guardians with Nights or Dawns, that sorta thing. Basically instead of going for a one-to-one thing with Soalrs or one-to-one with any modern Caste, what do those five together create for the sorts of heroes that the Soalrs might not exactly cover.

(This is a fun bit of brainstorming, not gonna lie.)
            Last edited by Blaque; 04-26-2019, 03:14 PM.

And stuff.
            My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

What are you basing that on?
              Because I think part of the point of a Societal-Collapse-Leading-to-a-Dark-Age trope is that much ancient knowledge is lost.
              Over 5000 years, the Exalted would slowly and painstakingly map out sites of magic, and so while the No Moons location power would be very useful in, say, 500, for the Lunars of the year 4500 it would be less important.
              This just seemed to me to be the sort of thing more useful to a post-apocalyptic guerilla warrior than a scion of the greatest civilization that ever existed.
              Other possible mystic powers might be, say, things that allow your assistants to help you do magic, rather than a power to help you hide. Etc.

My characters:
              Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

Over 5000 years, the Exalted would slowly and painstakingly map out sites of magic, and so while the No Moons location power would be very useful in, say, 500, for the Lunars of the year 4500 it would be less important.
                An alternative way to look at it is that it becomes even more important; it's all well and good to go looking for one when an undiscovered, and thus unclaimed demesne is something that you can't swing a dead cat without locating, but when those are more scarce the capacity to find new ones readily becomes even more valuable.

That and how the world keeps growing, although the thousands of years of the First Age haven't all necessarily afforded the stability in which comprehensive survey of every square meter of the core Creation to be undertaken.

Presumably, their civilizations were continuously growing, so there might have always been a need to find new demesnes.

Besides, looking at a Charm of the Lunar Exalted in terms of being a geological surveyor is not incorrect, but a bit limited. It can still be useful to know where you are even if you're not the first one to discover it, under a number of circumstances, and without expecting all Lunars to have familiarized themselves with the surveying of every single known demesne.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz
                Other possible mystic powers might be, say, things that allow your assistants to help you do magic, rather than a power to help you hide.
                I presume that hiding was a thing that Lunars did throughout the First Age, just more on their own terms rather than as a means to evade capture and death.

Comment

Sure, every Exalt needs to hide sometimes.

But I'm looking for stuff that the Lunars might have wanted to gain by creating new Castes for a post-Usurpation world. I could definitely see "use the shadows to help you hide" as something Lunars would want to gain post-Usurpation, and be willing to sacrifice whatever they had before.

If their anima powers were the same pre-Usurpation and post-Usurpation, what was the point of changing the castes?

I thought this was a very good point you made before:
                  My notion of the Castes (which would inform any anima powers they get) would be very clearly tying them into a place of prominence and acceptance in the Realm, of being hooked directly into its systems and societies.
                  Whereas I think the post-Usurpation anima powers need to be things that made them better surviving as guerilla refugees, hiding from mainstream society.

So things like hiding, finding sites of mystical power out on the edge of Creation, etc. Not that these weren't useful before; but probably their high First Age versions would find something else more society-based more useful. (Those castes too, were deliberately designed.)*

(The third No Moon power, of using their anima to fuel their sorcery or mental skills, seems like something just as useful back then, or even more useful, when flaring your anima wasn't such an issue)

*Hmmm... do we have any idea when in the First Age the five Castes were made? The Lunar-Solar wars, and the interregnum between the Deliberatives, were obviously very different eras than the High First Age. It's a 5000 year period after all.
                  Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 04-27-2019, 06:51 AM.

My characters:

Comment

Pardon me, I've been assuming that you were referring to Charms. Functions of the anima make a lot more sense.

I will get around to bringing my manuscript document back up so that I can read the text again, for greater precision and for entertainment. I just need to finish the First Edition book before I do that, and I cannot spare the energy for that investment until I have resolved my present crisis.

Comment

Ah, right, no worries.

My characters:

Comment

Ah, right, no worries.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                          Are Dawn Castes also only at their fighting best at the start of the day?
                          The sun doesn't have phases. But I get your point.

Like I said, I haven't thought through every aspect of this, including whatever 'being stronger' would mean in this context. It'd be something like... if modern lunars are a 1, then first age lunars would fluctuate from .9 to 1.2. Being weak (or, let's be honest here, 'less strong') at a time where the Exalts ran the world would not be a problem, and so it was a good trade-off for being harder/better/faster/STRONKER about half the time. Losing strength when you're being hunted down by the entire world, however, is not something that you can afford.

I like the idea that Lunars are Exalts that change and adapt, whether that be in power, in form, or in their overall role in Creation. If they can't outfight you, they'll outsmart you. If they can't outsmart you, they'll outfight you. If they can't do either, they can use the power of friendship until you're on their side or someone else can kill you. If they can't do any of those three, then they'll become someone who can.

My wordpress
                          Let's Play Warcraft 3 (Updates Thursdays)

Comment

Working...
                          X