No announcement yet.

Flurry: Why Would You Even...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say the key "Lever" that you're trying not to disturb when you muck about with Flurry is the back-and-forth of Withering attacks.
    A lot of balance and charm space works on the premise that in a whiteroom combat, two characters are pushing back and forth on eachothers' Initiative until one of them has enough to Gambit or Decisive their way to victory.

Defenses and Mobility work on the intention of removing your opponent's opportunity to recoup their loss from your previous attack.

An additional attack achieves this without requiring investment in your Defense or Mobility. This is why Counterattacks fall in a fairly pricey range of charm concepts.

Multitarget is less restrictive, because you're not necessarily interrupting the rhythm between you and an opponent. If you gain the Initiative from each foe struck though, again it's a pricier effect.

Unlike 2e, where Multiattack was just a reasonable tactic among other tactics (Balancing Onslaught with flurry penalties), the maths of multiple attacks in 3e heavily advantage the attacker.

So that's the theorycraft answer, but it's not astonishingly satisfying to resolve the problem of multiple limbs just not Doing very much.

NOW one precedent we DO have for a mechanic that gets around this limitation is Warstriders and Devestating actions. It's available as a basic factor of the Artifact (With First Age squiggle) Merit, without dipping into charmspace levels of effectiveness. By restricting the reflexive attack that Warstriders take to Battle Groups and Trivial opponents, the system neatly sidesteps the potential of drastically unbalancing a battle against an individual opponent. In fact its plain that at least one intention of the system is to allow a Warstrider to target big threats while still wreaking general havock.

It's not hard to see that general concept being applied to a multi-armed Dervish concept. I couldn't tell you what dots that would be worth as a merit, but it's A way to have your limb cake and eat it too.
    Last edited by Maseiken; 05-04-2019, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Extra limb is limited by the fact that it represents every possible type of extra limb, which is part of why it feels lackluster when your extra limbs are arms.

You could come up with a supernatural merit which would be specifically for extra arms, i.e. :

Extra Arms (***)
      Extra arms let you overwhelm opponents and shake off attacks which would overwhelm others. When all of your hands are holding weapons compatible with the same combat ability (i.e. you have a sword in each hand so all your hands can use Melee), you gain 1 overwhelming when attacking with that ability, and parrying with that ability reduces the enemy's overwhelming by 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Epitome View Post
        Extra limb is limited by the fact that it represents every possible type of extra limb, which is part of why it feels lackluster when your extra limbs are arms.

You could come up with a supernatural merit which would be specifically for extra arms, i.e. :

Extra Arms (***)
        Extra arms let you overwhelm opponents and shake off attacks which would overwhelm others. When all of your hands are holding weapons compatible with the same combat ability (i.e. you have a sword in each hand so all your hands can use Melee), you gain 1 overwhelming when attacking with that ability, and parrying with that ability reduces the enemy's overwhelming by 1.

Way too powerful, but the idea's on the right track

Comment

Working...
        X