Effectively using Raging Fire-Dragon Spirit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No doubt, some ask, "Why go to so much trouble?"

I see something very uniquely risky and dangerous in this Charm that I don't see with other Aura-duration Charms. It is the only Aura-duration Charm I can find that makes you more vulnerable in any regard, and there are so many temptingly exciting Fire Signature Charms that can suddenly make all of that vulnerability and sacrifice pointless.

The Charm seems so demanding, in fact, that I wonder just how much play-testing it received, and I hope that these breakdowns will encourage people to try Raging Fire-Dragon Spirit out and see how it performs.

I tried making a Fire Aspect brawler, see, who used Raging Fire-Dragon Spirit like Solar Brawlers used Ascendant Battle Visage or Bloodthirsty Sword-Dance Spirit. Something that looked like a Solar Brawler, but on the Terrestrial level.

IT DOESN'T WORK. Fire Essence just doesn't mix well with Terrestrial Brawl. If your concept for a super-mode doesn't look like Embracing the Violent Flow or Embrace of Deadly Thorns, you need to find another solution.

Fortunately, someone showed me an alternative possible with Fire Dragon Style, but that still left me with the knowledge that Raging Fire-Dragon Spirit is terribly finicky, and the question of how to build around it so that I wouldn't shoot myself in the foot trying to use it.
    Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 04-28-2019, 03:09 PM.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Has anyone else tried using this Charm in a game or test, yet?

Comment

I haven’t but this seems like a very useful guide if I did. Thank you.

That said, I’m not sure that bonus strength dots count for everything, like you suggest.
        Last edited by BrilliantRain; 04-29-2019, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
          Awesome.

That said, I’m not sure that bonus strength dots count for everything, like you suggest.
          It might not, but if so, it would seem that Impervious Skin of Stone would add your Stamina instead of doubling nothing, and Fire-Elemental Protection Prana would add something to your Hardness against decisive attacks and do anything against fiery environmental hazards, and maybe something in regards to the Fire anima that I can't check right now.

Worth asking Vance.

Anyway, I need to go back through these posts and correct some mistakes, and expand on how Raging Fire-Dragon Spirit interacts with Dodge.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

As far as I’m aware the generally accepted rule of thumb is that ability dicepools calculated off strength treat that bonus dot as a dice added by charms, but for all other effects it’s deemed natural. So for example it won’t raise your capped (Strength + Athletics) pool to 18, but if a charm says it adds (Strength) bonus dice of damage, then it will add 6 instead of 5.

Numbers are assuming you’ve got max stats and all that.

Comment

After I update this thread to make corrections, I'd like to look into another Aura-duration Signature Charm and how to build around it.

I've already done a lot of ground-work for the Air Signature Athletics Charm, Soaring Zephyr Flight, but would people want to see that one before or after examining the Water Signature Brawl Charm, Embracing the Violent Flow?

Or maybe the other Aura-duration Resistance Signature, the Air-aspected Body-Like-Clouds Meditation?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                After I update this thread to make corrections, I'd like to look into another Aura-duration Signature Charm and how to build around it.

I've already done a lot of ground-work for the Air Signature Athletics Charm, Soaring Zephyr Flight, but would people want to see that one before or after examining the Water Signature Brawl Charm, Embracing the Violent Flow?

Or maybe the other Aura-duration Resistance Signature, the Air-aspected Body-Like-Clouds Meditation?
                Soaring zephyr flight is a good scouting charm and it doubles as a way to do a lot of cool things out of combat but at 4i per turn it's unsustainable unless you are going up against a bunch of mooks.

Comment

Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
                  Soaring zephyr flight is a good scouting charm and it doubles as a way to do a lot of cool things out of combat but at 4i per turn it's unsustainable unless you are going up against a bunch of mooks.
                  Is that a yes or a no?

Comment

Is that a yes or a no?
                    Sure. That's a yes.

Comment

Vance clarifies:

* rush bonus only applies to Athletics rolls; doesn’t help with mounted rushes

* players can indeed discard bonus die to add automatic successes (or vice versa)

* bonus Strength dot does not count as Strength for (Strength) calculated Charm effects

* Stamina is only reduced to 0 for soak; ISoS still doubles nothing for nothing, but (Stamina) calculated effects like Fire-Elemental Protection Technique are not effected.

These will be reflected in later edits.

Comment

Okay, maybe that's finally it.

I'm going to bed before I think of anything else.

Hopefully SOMEONE appreciates this. But what's another day of my life wasted?
                        It's a brilliant run down of a charm I previously thought I'd never, ever, use.

Thanks.

Vance clarifies:
                        Yeah. Never, ever, use.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I was going to say "The simple and aura keywords are the killers, it probably should have been reflexive." but if it was then it might be too good at Essence 5, especially with all of the counterattack and clash shenanigans in melee. I dunno, I need to see it in actual play.

Comment

What if this Charm didn't reduce your Stamina at all, and offered a more modest bonus to attack and rush dice rolls?

Your toughness already takes a hit in that you can't use anything but Skin Like Stone Technique to boost your soak without breaking your Fire Aura? If even that Charm is too much, you could include a clause specifically prohibiting that Charm.

Comment

I fixed the first post to address this Charm's Initiative drain and its relation to Initiative Crash, in light of how different it is from Soaring Zephyr Flight in that regard.

Comment

Working...
                              X